Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

abraham linksys posted:

Are DPS queues for Neverreap/Fractal 20+ minutes on other servers, or is this something special about Faerie? Like I was all excited that they made grinding out Tomestones and gear so easy in this expansion but I'm stuck in queues that are literally longer than the dungeons half the time.

Everyone I ask about it just seems to say "welp, DPS :shrug:" but I don't know if there are more efficient ways I could be getting gear or what. Only other thing I can think of is to play something else while queueing

Play final craftasy 14 while queuing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
I present this as my parting gift to Excalibur:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVlOM-FzIXc

highlights include a record number of meteors for vanilla t9 at 8:09

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Evil Fluffy posted:

The fight on Extreme really isn't that bad. Unless your DPS are terrible in which case you're pretty hosed.

My DPS is always terrible :(

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Tarranon posted:

Play final craftasy 14 while queuing

All power to the people who enjoy crafting in this game but there is nothing about any of that that appeals to me whatsoever

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
I think the dps meter mentioned earlier that only shows your personal dps/damage done was a good idea.

I'm sure even most casual players who aren't into progression raiding have a genuine curiosity and concern about their dps. It's not disclosed to the entire group, but it's still there for your personal analysis.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

abraham linksys posted:

I don't know why I even bother trying to keep Enochian up on that Neverreap final boss. Like I honestly don't think it's worth the mental effort and rotation gymnastics required for such a minimal DPS increase; most of the time on that boss I spend all of my brainpower trying to watch it and the AOEs/adds and end up accidentally dropping Astral Fire or not having enough MP left to do Blizz 3 :negative:

In general, what's the best way to recover if you end up with too little MP for Blizz 3? I guess the only real options are Transpose, which means you probably won't have enough time left to keep Enochian up, or Convert, which has waaay too long of a cooldown to be a reliable emergency cast.

Ifs hard just keep using enochain but don't use fire 4. Then you don't have to worry about keeping astral fire up but you still get some bonus damage. Its not hard to keep enochain up a good deal of time though but some fights favor melee and some favor ranged.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

abraham linksys posted:

Are DPS queues for Neverreap/Fractal 20+ minutes on other servers, or is this something special about Faerie? Like I was all excited that they made grinding out Tomestones and gear so easy in this expansion but I'm stuck in queues that are literally longer than the dungeons half the time.

Everyone I ask about it just seems to say "welp, DPS :shrug:" but I don't know if there are more efficient ways I could be getting gear or what. Only other thing I can think of is to play something else while queueing

Pfff, 20 minute queues are nothing. DPS queues used to be way worse for low level content. I usually work on another class or just go mining or fishing. Or go do beast tribe quests, they're perfect for that.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
Having ran Bismarck EX a few times now, healers simply can not keep tanks alive during phase 2 of that fight, or DPS is just terrible and can't even consistently kill carapace.

Kuai
May 25, 2004
I finished leveling my BLM to 60 and now sit in DPS queues instead of using my DRK for instant queues because of how terrible DPS has been in general in the 60 dungeons.

And I play soccer spirits on my phone while waiting :colbert:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

abraham linksys posted:

It's 'welp DPS.' That's fairly standard for top-level dungeon stuff for Faerie. Low Level is pretty awesome though since everyone's doing them either for the new classes or as first timers who got in for Heavensward.

I haven't had a sub 30 minute Fractal/Neverreap yet. Gear hasn't caught up to HP pools of the mobs yet.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

:rip: Excalibur

vvvv: Oh well that's good to hear

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 4, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

It was a netsplit equivalent, I was fine in Churning Mists :shrug:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

abraham linksys posted:

Faerie used to be pretty backwater, but there are tons of people on it now that a few prominent streamers have brought all their groupies there. DPS queues are just lovely, sorry man. You got into the game at possibly the best point for DPS queues in its history? I have awful memories of 35-50 minute brayflox queues as SMN.

e: lots of people addressed this before I did, welp

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
So given what happens to Estinien at the end of 3.0's story, what happens if you have yet to do the 30-50 Dragoon quests? I have no idea how the two would interact but sadly I've already done them.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Kitfox88 posted:

So given what happens to Estinien at the end of 3.0's story, what happens if you have yet to do the 30-50 Dragoon quests? I have no idea how the two would interact but sadly I've already done them.

Like previous examples (culinary) it probably ignores it

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

30-50 DRG was the same but. When I went to do 50-60 after beating the MSQ Alberic is mega relieved that I didn't befall the same fate as Estinien and still have control over my soul gem which is a nice touch I guess.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

I know that this is just a base set you can buy but it looks so good that I might just roll with it for a while.

I'm a little annoyed that the box on the side doesn't change based on the design of the gun (or color scheme), so it's nice to find something that can match.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Stormgale posted:

Like previous examples (culinary) it probably ignores it

Oh, I wasn't aware this had happened before in other job quests. What's the culinary deal?

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Thumbtacks posted:

I know that this is just a base set you can buy but it looks so good that I might just roll with it for a while.

I'm a little annoyed that the box on the side doesn't change based on the design of the gun (or color scheme), so it's nice to find something that can match.

I'm honestly tempted to keep my 58 tank set for glamour. It looks really pretty.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Kitfox88 posted:

Oh, I wasn't aware this had happened before in other job quests. What's the culinary deal?

Culinary 50 quest has the sultana appreciating your work.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Kitfox88 posted:

the 50 Culinarian quest is making a meal for the Sultana

Kuai
May 25, 2004
Looks like the culinarian quest didn't even need spoilers. Perhaps Yoshi knows more about future content than we do?!?!!?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Kuai posted:

Looks like the culinarian quest didn't even need spoilers. Perhaps Yoshi knows more about future content than we do?!?!!?

unpossible

https://twitter.com/kanmiQ/status/616780311263735809

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

vanbags posted:

I think the dps meter mentioned earlier that only shows your personal dps/damage done was a good idea.

I'm sure even most casual players who aren't into progression raiding have a genuine curiosity and concern about their dps. It's not disclosed to the entire group, but it's still there for your personal analysis.

"What's your dps, I know you can see it"

Just leave this poo poo alone, the only way to keep it from being toxic as gently caress in game is to make it bannable to even talk about it in the game. I had enough of it in wow, and it's probably the biggest selling point this game has.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Just leave this poo poo alone, the only way to keep it from being toxic as gently caress in game is to make it bannable to even talk about it in the game. I had enough of it in wow, and it's probably the biggest selling point this game has.

lol

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

you people constantly make fun of tanks not using flash and healers not in cleric stance, because that poo poo is evident. everyone sees it, everyone talks about it

you give dps one way to accurately measure their progression and you think the sky is gonna fall jfc dude

also lol at this picture you are painting of goons in purple tights dancing around a frightened DPS cowering in a corner, snapping their fingers in unison, 'hey what's your number, don't hide it from me, a dps figure is what we want to see'

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Tarranon posted:

you people constantly make fun of tanks not using flash and healers not in cleric stance, because that poo poo is evident. everyone sees it, everyone talks about it

you give dps one way to accurately measure their progression and you think the sky is gonna fall jfc dude

also lol at this picture you are painting of goons in purple tights dancing around a frightened DPS cowering in a corner, snapping their fingers in unison, 'hey what's your number, don't hide it from me, a dps figure is what we want to see'

No those things are ok because it doesn't hurt my feelings.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So I want to use the RAF xp bonus for buying 30 days. Should I just get a 2 month code on amazon? Can I just "buy" a month on the mog station or it's just subscribe? Because I got the 1 month free already for buying it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I have played WoW on and off since launch and I can probably count on my hands the number of times I've seen people be mega super elitist about DPS numbers in non serious progression content.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
like, let's be clear. we all benefit from parsers. you might not personally use a parser but if you are dps or have ever played with a dps you have benefited from the knowledge that parsing endows. if you've ever run a dungeon or tackled any new content from me you've benefited from parsers. if you've ever looked at a rotation guide, odds are you're benefiting from parsers. they make class mechanics less opaque and give players the ability to see what works and what doesn't (when they're all working properly), and these are good things!

all I want is to give people the ability to look at their numbers, in a more or less private way, that doesn't involve them using illegal third party tools that they might not even know they exist, so that I never, ever have to have an awkward conversation with someone about their numbers

or we could just resign ourselves to only doing content when the echo drops, that throws dps checks right the frick out the window :v. I've never seen a T12 group get five bennu post echo, and that was one of the hardest DPS checks I've ever seen in the game

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer
Using dps meters to check and improve your own play is a good thing. Using it to slam other people and brag about some dumb numbers in a video game is bad. Assholes are going to be assholes whether there's a dps meter or not, at least put it in the game so those who are genuinely interested can use it.

Some other game had a dps recount at the end of the dungeon, it was kind of a nice compromise so that you wouldn't have people bitching through the whole dungeon, but if you wanted to change 'xx' thing in your rotation and see if it improved your dps or w/e, you could still do that.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Tarranon posted:

lol

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I have played WoW on and off since launch and I can probably count on my hands the number of times I've seen people be mega super elitist about DPS numbers in non serious progression content.

Yeah this. I seriously don't know where this comes from I never encountered it, and I was even Bad at one point.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ibram Gaunt posted:

People really don't boot people in wow unless their dps is hilariously funny low. But for the cases when it is you can make fun of them.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

"played wow on and off since launch" isn't really that rare, do you think none of the rest of us have done that?

game's better without a dps meter in it.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

thank you, it was a very funny picture you painted

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Like, if parsers ever become a built in thing or whatever, yeah people are going to make PF groups with redic dps requirements or whatever, but they already do this with requiring higher ilevels than needed so it basically changes nothing. And you wouldn't want to join those parties anyways.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Like, if parsers ever become a built in thing or whatever, yeah people are going to make PF groups with redic dps requirements or whatever, but they already do this with requiring higher ilevels than needed so it basically changes nothing. And you wouldn't want to join those parties anyways.

People are already setting bismarck ex PF groups at BiS or near BiS ilevels, when the fight is doable with a solid weapon and vendor trash, and everyone is already blaming each other for crap dps. It's healthy and good

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

dude this isn't how it works

forums poster bauxite who can't tell what the pointy bit of a weapon is just can't do single "lol" replies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
this one time in forge of souls someone told me my dps was bad on my petless hunter

i want dps meters removed from all video games

• Locked thread