Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Problem with having short torp range is that you're relying on turrets to deal damage and get xp which means exposing yourself to danger unless you're sitting at 12 km or so. And the damage is laughable that you have to rely on causing fire which isn't something you can control. Sure the 5 inch gun is nice but 4 shells every 5 seconds amount to virtually nothing. It limits certain US destroyers to just pea shooting and being somewhat useless in most situations. Constant stream of incoming shells from invisible enemy is annoying but that's about it.

There's a huge difference between letting enemy know you're shooting at them and not letting enemy know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Aesis posted:

Problem with having short torp range is that you're relying on turrets to deal damage and get xp which means exposing yourself to danger unless you're sitting at 12 km or so. And the damage is laughable that you have to rely on causing fire which isn't something you can control. Sure the 5 inch gun is nice but 4 shells every 5 seconds amount to virtually nothing. It limits certain US destroyers to just pea shooting and being somewhat useless in most situations. Constant stream of incoming shells from invisible enemy is annoying but that's about it.

There's a huge difference between letting enemy know you're shooting at them and not letting enemy know.

Then you hunt enemy DDs and scout until you find an enemy exposed or a firefight you can involve yourself in that tips the balance in your team's favor. If you're engaging at long range, you can generally make it very difficult to get hit by shells. If enemies are wasting shots trying to hit you, they're not shooting at allies, which can make all the difference in a midrange fight. If the shots start landing too close, you can always disengage and conceal yourself before coming back in. You can contribute without committing, and staying alive is more important than killing an enemy ship solo.

DDs aren't brawlers, they're opportunists. US DDs need to primarly scout and cap, and in the process they can find solo battleships they can harass, attack fleets advancing into a tight area they can ambush with torpedoes, hunt CVs unprotected they can light on fire and torp, and approach brawls they can shoot into, distracting enemies and assisting in taking down large targets or finishing off weak enemies trying to flee. US DDs can attack enemy IJN and lower tiered US DDs safely, as they have superior firepower and survivability to them, as well as matching their maneuvering, making it easier to actually hit them and take them out of a fight. IJN DDs are much more scouting heavy, and can be aggressive without ever exposing themselves by launching long range torpedoes and spotting US DDs trying to skirt their concealment range, as IJN DDs have better concealment than US ones. Just don't get caught by the US DDs, they'll kill you easily.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Aesis posted:

please stop being wrong

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

please stop being wrong
Please tell me which part of it is wrong then.

Hazdoc posted:

Then you hunt enemy DDs and scout until you find an enemy exposed or a firefight you can involve yourself in that tips the balance in your team's favor. If you're engaging at long range, you can generally make it very difficult to get hit by shells. If enemies are wasting shots trying to hit you, they're not shooting at allies, which can make all the difference in a midrange fight. If the shots start landing too close, you can always disengage and conceal yourself before coming back in. You can contribute without committing, and staying alive is more important than killing an enemy ship solo.

DDs aren't brawlers, they're opportunists. US DDs need to primarly scout and cap, and in the process they can find solo battleships they can harass, attack fleets advancing into a tight area they can ambush with torpedoes, hunt CVs unprotected they can light on fire and torp, and approach brawls they can shoot into, distracting enemies and assisting in taking down large targets or finishing off weak enemies trying to flee. US DDs can attack enemy IJN and lower tiered US DDs safely, as they have superior firepower and survivability to them, as well as matching their maneuvering, making it easier to actually hit them and take them out of a fight. IJN DDs are much more scouting heavy, and can be aggressive without ever exposing themselves by launching long range torpedoes and spotting US DDs trying to skirt their concealment range, as IJN DDs have better concealment than US ones. Just don't get caught by the US DDs, they'll kill you easily.
Pretty much. US DDs are awesome for anti-DD and it's fast enough for scouting/skirmishing and staying at range (and hopefully directing fire away from friendlies), it's just that I wish there were bit more options to picking which weapons to use at lower tier (and Sims), and the game's not rewarding enough for its play because game rewards more for damage done.

e: Just need good reward system for putting in more effort being useful.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 3, 2015

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

grrarg posted:

Yeah it is ridiculous. I wonder how many credits tier 9s get per game now. They barely made money before the 0.4.0 patch and often lost 50k or more credits when destroyed in a losing game. And that was before the new consumable costs and inflated module prices.

I make about 170k in a Sims with an average game. The T8 premiums were averaging about 200k.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Now that I've purchased 3 Tier 5s, I'm out of cash. The Furutaka is pretty... interesting, I suppose. Shorter ranged torpedoes that hurt like hell if they hit, but 6 KM means I can't use them while kiting enemies without being too close for comfort. The powerful guns also take forever to reload, which would have been its major redeeming factor. Once I pick up the new turrets, perhaps the reload will become more reasonable, but until then, this ship feels like a downgrade from the Kuma.

The Minekaze's slower torps make it harder to land hits on attentive enemies, sadly. I'm gonna miss the 60+ knot speed, as it doesn't come back until T9. Argh, better get used to it. I can still win with it, as the reload isn't ridiculous yet.

Edit: Hmm, looking at the IJN DDs again, it looks like the Hatsuharu and Fubuki have 10km 62 knot torps. They must have gotten buffed since the last time I went through the tree. Perhaps I have something to look forward to. Maybe the Fubuki isn't garbage anymore!

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 3, 2015

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Hazdoc posted:

The Minekaze's slower torps make it harder to land hits on attentive enemies, sadly. I'm gonna miss the 60+ knot speed, as it doesn't come back until T9. Argh, better get used to it. I can still win with it, as the reload isn't ridiculous yet.

The 10km torps on the Minekaze aren't a straight upgrade. If you can do better with the faster 7km torps, then go ahead and use them. I actually prefer them myself because I love the US DDs and 7km torps feel like a luxury. :v:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Now that the game's generally playable I'm going to give it a shot - is there a good newbie guide out there for game mechanics, upgrades, crew skills, that sort of thing?

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Hazdoc posted:

Edit: Hmm, looking at the IJN DDs again, it looks like the Hatsuharu and Fubuki have 10km 62 knot torps. They must have gotten buffed since the last time I went through the tree. Perhaps I have something to look forward to. Maybe the Fubuki isn't garbage anymore!

Well the Fubuki gets an upgrade to its torps that puts them at 15km range but drops them back down to 57 knots. Torp range 8km over detection range.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Fubuki was never garbage. :colbert:

Both torps on her are useful. The 15km ones are funny because you can fire them at the closest ship in a blob from like 8km and they'll happilly travel through the whole pack causing everyone to poo poo bricks.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

I've noticed that in Domination matches, whichever team uses the brilliant tactic of "give up most of the map to the enemy and crowd around a single point" almost always loses. It sure is great to see my team commit to a loss about 5 minutes into a match. :smithicide:

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
^^ Yup, lemmings lose Domination in most cases. It is hilarious when 75%+ of a team will lemming to one point then get killed by a few ships from another point hitting them from behind while they struggle to kill two or three ships at the initial point.

Fubuki's guns are decent too, and it has a low profile in the water that can be hard to hit with US destroyers inside 5-6km due to shell trajectory. After suffering through the early IJN DD guns, I was shocked the first time I won a gun duel in one.

grrarg fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 3, 2015

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Fubuki is a good ship.

Kagero is a sour ship, until you get the fast long lances.

Shimakaze is a good ship, but lol if you think you can swing a tier 10 game (in anything).

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

The funny thing is you can lemming to the middle because you've got concentrated ships to break up any light stuff that could hurt the bbs, and then just cap their weak flank no problem.

But no, people lemming off to the far side of a side cap point.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Is it a bad idea to get the rudder shift upgrade for my Atago?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

grrarg posted:

Fubuki's guns are decent too, and it has a low profile in the water that can be hard to hit with US destroyers inside 5-6km due to shell trajectory. After suffering through the early IJN DD guns, I was shocked the first time I won a gun duel in one.

From the Hatsuharu on the Japanese destroyer guns aren't as bad as people say. You won't beat a US destroyer that gets close, but the guns are worth firing and turret traverse isn't that bad. At distance you can somewhat reliably beat equal tier US destroyers.
They got hit pretty hard in the patch that came with the closed beta launch, but people usually fail to mention that, in alpha and the beta weekends, the Japanese destroyers had better guns than their American counterparts.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
The Kagero (and I assume Shimakaze) turrets are made of ricepaper. Get used to getting blooped in the stern for 100 damage from HE and having 2/3rds of your turrets permanently destroyed.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
for some reason the little pop up image that shows module specs is white and transparent, which makes reading module information virtually impossible.

can i change it to be less transparent or something?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Jesus. This was probably the best IJN CL game I ever had.

No, that's not a daily or anything, just premium.

Not that my dailies on the two T4 cruisers today weren't pretty spectacular, either:

Magni fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 3, 2015

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Mans posted:

for some reason the little pop up image that shows module specs is white and transparent, which makes reading module information virtually impossible.

can i change it to be less transparent or something?

The option is 'increase GUI contrast' or something. The default is meant to have a blur filter for the background but if you have post processing turned down then yeah it probably doesn't work so well.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Oh man. This has been so awesome far. Really want to keep going down the US Cruiser line, but that US BB line is so tempting.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
If there's one thing World of Warships does well, it's making sure the different ship classes remain useful over the range of tiers. I love cruisers and am bad at destroyers but will probably enjoy grinding up all lines eventually.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm running into an odd bug where in my battleship, I fire one battery when its crosshair is green, and every gun fires even though the others aren't aligned to shoot. I'm tapping the button once, not holding it or double-tapping. Seems to coincide with fewer shells being drawn by the game and none of the shells registering as hits on the target, regardless of how they are drawn when they land.

They're essentially ghost volleys that empty the guns and start the reload timer. It's not great.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 4, 2015

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Why is every game i play unbalanced in the other guys favour?

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I'm running into an odd bug where in my battleship, I fire one battery when its crosshair is green, and every gun fires even though the others aren't aligned to shoot. I'm tapping the button once, not holding it or double-tapping. Seems to coincide with fewer shells being drawn by the game and none of the shells registering as hits on the target, regardless of how whey are drawn.

They're essentially ghost volleys that empty the guns and start the reload timer. It's not great.

You don't have "weapons fixed on relative / fixed on sector" on by accident? because that will cause that to happen.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I'm running into an odd bug where in my battleship, I fire one battery when its crosshair is green, and every gun fires even though the others aren't aligned to shoot. I'm tapping the button once, not holding it or double-tapping. Seems to coincide with fewer shells being drawn by the game and none of the shells registering as hits on the target, regardless of how they are drawn when they land.

This isn't happening right after you switch weapon types is it?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

ohsosad posted:

You don't have "weapons fixed on relative / fixed on sector" on by accident? because that will cause that to happen.

I am using the fix position command at the start of battles, but I'm absolutely certain that it is happening after I hit X to unlock them again. For one thing, I can see it happening when the ship is on a straight course and the guns are in the process of turning to match my sights (first gun aligns, I fire and all guns empty).

wdarkk posted:

This isn't happening right after you switch weapon types is it?

I'm using the Wyoming so I only have the one type of weapon.

If replays were in I'd try and make a gif.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Maybe they meant changing ammo types?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Had close to 9M credit, then it disappeared when I bought Pensacola and fully upgraded its hull/turret :stare:

psy.Che
Feb 23, 2011
Can anyone tell me what the point of dive bombers is in comparison to torp bombers? I got my Tier5 IJN carrier today and I'm quite underwhelmed by the bomber. I attack from the stern or bow as one should if I'm not mistaken and I still only ever hit 1 or 2 bombs which in turn do less damage than torpedoes. TIA.

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

psy.Che posted:

Can anyone tell me what the point of dive bombers is in comparison to torp bombers? I got my Tier5 IJN carrier today and I'm quite underwhelmed by the bomber. I attack from the stern or bow as one should if I'm not mistaken and I still only ever hit 1 or 2 bombs which in turn do less damage than torpedoes. TIA.

Basically use them to burn a ship to death or finish off dead targets.

Use the torp bombers then wait 10-15 secs for them to repair then bomb them hoping to burn them down.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

TehKeen posted:

Yeah ammo types. If you have a different ammo type selected for the next shot, it fires every gun that's on-target and reloads every gun that isn't.

psy.Che
Feb 23, 2011

ohsosad posted:

Basically use them to burn a ship to death or finish off dead targets.

Use the torp bombers then wait 10-15 secs for them to repair then bomb them hoping to burn them down.

Thanks, I just did that and it allowed me to kill the enemy carrier in one raid - although against carriers it's probably better to bomb first because they can't launch planes if they burn.

What is the general opinion on the hull upgrades that give you more torp bombers instead of fighters for IJN carriers? I usually shoot down about 15 enemy planes per match and keep telling myself that I'm helping my team doing so, which is why I'm very hesitant to give up on the fighters.

psy.Che fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 4, 2015

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

TehKeen posted:

Its probably this. If you have one ammo type loaded, and are queued to load the other ammo type after firing (If you have HE loaded, but hit 2 so that after your next shot, your guns will load AP), it will EMPTY your guns and load the new ammo after you fire your next shot. That includes if your next shot is only 1 cannon, even if all cannons were ready for a full broadside.
If you get in the habit of pressing 1 to snap back to your normal firing scheme (like I do), this happens frequently, as it also selects HE, if I had AP loaded.

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

psy.Che posted:

Thanks, I just did that and it allowed me to kill the enemy carrier in one raid - although against carriers it's probably better to bomb first because they can't launch planes if they burn.

What is the general opinion on the hull upgrades that give you more torp bombers instead of fighters for IJN carriers? I usually shoot down about 15 enemy planes per match and keep telling myself that I'm helping my team doing so, which is why I'm very hesitant to give up on the fighters.

Until i got the option of the 2/2/2 upgrade i just ran bomb heavy for the massive amount of XP and the large number of games where you play vs no other carriers.

I'm at t7 now and find the 2/2/2 upgrade the best bet though.

And bomb second vs carriers because if you can force them to use the repair on flood damage they will burn for a long time taking them out of the battle.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

IJN destroyers are fun.

2167 base xp

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

sarmhan posted:

IJN destroyers are fun.

2167 base xp

:stare: Jesus.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

wdarkk posted:

Yeah ammo types. If you have a different ammo type selected for the next shot, it fires every gun that's on-target and reloads every gun that isn't.

That's probably it. I'm an idiot.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

sarmhan posted:

IJN destroyers are fun.

2167 base xp

I'm at the Tier 5 IJN DD. I am really missing my US guns

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

sarmhan posted:

IJN destroyers are fun.

2167 base xp
They sure are!

Sometimes you just gotta put a team on your back and carry em with your 7km torps. Wish I had replays, our team was totally hosed but I wrecked a Myogi in the center, then circled around and torped both carriers who were conveniently sitting 2km from each other behind an island.

Stevefin posted:

I'm at the Tier 5 IJN DD. I am really missing my US guns
Yes but you get glorious 10km torps that let you sit forever out of range of everyone and fire them from 13km into oncoming battleships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010
So, do the planes at higher tiers of carrier have better spread for their torp drops? The Hosho's planes seem to only drop their torps in a big fan with half a mile between each torp that, at best, lets me land two hits per volley.