Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

IOwnCalculus posted:

Maybe it's because I live in the desert and thus only drive in the rain rarely, but I've had a lot of tires get really dicey in the rain while they still have in the range of 2-4/32 tread on them. I can't comprehend how someone who probably sees more rain than I do, would drive on bald tires in it.

Could also be the "Florida Ice" effect, where oil on the road surface gets lifted right when the rain starts and makes it even slicker than water-saturated roads. i could see it being worse in places that get sparse rainfall.

Either way bald tires are dumb and we should teach basic car care like that in high school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Ozz81 posted:

I'm starting to wonder what kind of people trucking/delivery companies are hiring now

https://youtu.be/GcQ9qoxZPQ4

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's a bit of that to be sure, but even here that effect only lasts a few hours at most. Last year we had some pretty epic rain by AZ standards, and even after a few days of rain to wash that poo poo off, the ~45k mile Continentals that came on my CR-V were still really drat sketchy. Replaced them before the next big rainstorm and even during that first oil-slick period there was still a huge improvement.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Ludicro posted:

On the way home from the gym I'm coming up a slip road to join a more or less empty dual carriage way, and theres a person in the lane next to me who decides not to move over to let me on. Which is fair enough, they have right of way and all that, so I bleed a bit of speed to join the road behind them.

Except they slow down to more or less my speed and actually block my entry onto the road. I slow down more, and they slow down more. Eventually I ended up going down to about 15mph as I ran out of slip road while they trundled past flashing their lights before I gunned it to get back up to speed as soon as I was on that carriageway. loving hell if you want to be nice and let me on, move over to the other empty lane, don't loving slow down to let me on creating an incredibly dangerous situation where I cannot merge onto the road because your loving shitbox is in the way matching my speed. You have right of way, just keep at the speed you was doing and I will adjust mine to fit into a gap.

Cunts.

Actually, if the slip road has a single dotted line (as most do) as it joins the carriageway you have right of way and traffic on the carriageway must allow you to merge safely. I move into the next lane wherever possible, or will brake/accelerate to be clear of joining traffic. With the mileage i do i encounter a lot of oval office determined to make it difficult for me to join.

A while ago i had an old guy in an A-class block me from joining a carriageway as i left the services, i was running out of slip road an just forced him out of my way by moving over aggressively. I was not going to die in 3.5 tons of loaded van crashing into a concrete barrier because some oval office wouldn't move over into an empty lane. I would've broadsided him out the way if i had to. Wanker. This poo poo is all too common.

Saw a good one a while ago i kept forgetting to post. Sat at the lights a couple weeks ago and a Berlingo van goes bombing it over the junction towing a Transit Connect. Tow rope looked really short as the vans were only about 6' apart, looked like one of those bungee/kinetic ropes though.

Some time/miles later on the A12, traffic grinds to a halt as lane 1 is blocked. As i drive past i see it's the Berlingo and Connect, their tow rope has snapped. Only it wasn't a tow rope, they were using a load of domestic earthing cable, and it appeared that the knot had come undone, they were tying it back together.

:cripes:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
http://www.gfycat.com/AltruisticFancyCoelacanth

also lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD5fC2oBBsg

`Nemesis fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 2, 2015

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Rear-ended a lady last month who swore all through her arrest booking that she hadn't swerved into my lane just before she stood on her brakes for a light that had just turned yellow. There is no way I could have avoided the accident, I was doing the speed limit while she merged into my lane well within the braking distance envelope, then immediately stopped. She earned herself a trip to jail for no license as well as a check for $1,700 care of my insurance company; I earned a citation and a month of public transit while scrounging around for fresh sheet metal.

I don't think there's a law against stopping for a light just turned yellow, but I'm planning to fight the citation on the basis that I wasn't responsible for the accident, it was her for not exercising due care for other people on the road. Legally, she shouldn't have been on the road in the first place. I had been doing 50mph approaching a green light with nobody in front of me, and I probably could have still stopped short of her after she swerved into my lane had I been in a car with ABS and the pavement wasn't slick with rain. After much soul-searching, I still don't think there was anything I could have done differently to avoid the accident.

Got a dash cam so I won't be the victim of he-said-she-said again.

NoWake fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 2, 2015

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
I was under the impression that there's almost no way out of being liable for an accident if you rear end someone. I'd like to know if you have any luck out of that one.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Video footage showing it was someone else who precipitated it by cutting you off and hitting the brakes can probably change that, but otherwise? Nope, you're right.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

eriddy posted:

I was under the impression that there's almost no way out of being liable for an accident if you rear end someone. I'd like to know if you have any luck out of that one.

We'll see in another month, I've got nothing to lose fighting the citation. Had she come into my lane from a side road, she would be most at fault for failure to yield. Same type of impact, same results. But I'm automatically considered "following too close" when she cuts right in front of me from lane 1 to lane 2, something I had no control over. Hopefully I can plead my case to an understanding judge, and I feel like her being unlicensed might give me a leg up.

Having the citation thrown out would get an at-fault accident off my otherwise clean driving record, and may give me better grounds to file a claim against the other party's insurance (can't believe they had insurance) for them being at least partially at fault.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The problem is proving it. You have absolutely no way to prove that the other driver cut you off. It's your word against theirs, and why would a court trust anything you say when you're saying the same thing a liar would?

I mean yeah, like you say hopefully you get a sympathetic judge, but it's a long shot.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

It's a loving seagull, run over that bastard, jeez.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Locator posted:

It's a loving seagull, run over that bastard, jeez.

Had I been involved in that, I would have gotten out of the car and murdered that fucker who stopped

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

xzzy posted:

The problem is proving it. You have absolutely no way to prove that the other driver cut you off. It's your word against theirs, and why would a court trust anything you say when you're saying the same thing a liar would?

I mean yeah, like you say hopefully you get a sympathetic judge, but it's a long shot.

The impact points on both vehicles supports his case, but I suppose that a similar pattern would appear if an approaching rear vehicle swerved at the last second. Is there a photo or police diagram of the scene after the crash before the vehicles were cleared of the roadway? An accident reconstruction consultant may be warranted, if his/her fees wouldn't exceed the potential earnings from a judgement.

FWIW, I use the app Daily Roads Voyager on my Note 3 mounted to my windshield as my dash cam. This thread and the citations I read of my clients convinced me that I'd be foolish not to record trips.
:tinfoil:

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Arriviste posted:

The impact points on both vehicles supports his case, but I suppose that a similar pattern would appear if an approaching rear vehicle swerved at the last second. Is there a photo or police diagram of the scene after the crash before the vehicles were cleared of the roadway? An accident reconstruction consultant may be warranted, if his/her fees wouldn't exceed the potential earnings from a judgement.

FWIW, I use the app Daily Roads Voyager on my Note 3 mounted to my windshield as my dash cam. This thread and the citations I read of my clients convinced me that I'd be foolish not to record trips.
:tinfoil:

There are red light cameras posted at the intersection, I don't remember if they're active or if they flashed us at all, but the lady did immediately drive through the red to pull off to the right past the intersection. I only know this because I remember waiting for the green to pull off to the right, and I definitely didn't wait 2 cycles. The police report has us both in lane 1 and the narrative actually contradicts itself as to who hit who, I've asked the officer to amend the report and she said she'd work on it. It's already been a month, so I doubt the cameras still have the incident saved, and I wouldn't know how to go about a subpoena for the footage anyway.

Nobody was injured and I've spent maybe $700 putting my car back on the road, hiring a consultant or a lawyer would be at best a net-zero for me. If the citation is upheld it's upheld, but it can't hurt to plead my case to the judge.

I've got a KDLinks X-1 mounted up right now; there's loads of ridiculous stuff I see daily on my commute. Not 100% proud of the maneuver here, but come the gently caress on. I suppose the best course of action is to block up the intersection completely to protect idiot drivers from driving at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3R9dPRpFrU

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

eriddy posted:

I was lucky enough to not be liable for this type of accident about 2 years ago. It helped that the other party was driving drunk and our statements of what happened matched. He wanted to "teach me a lesson" because I was driving the speed limit in the left lane of a 2-lane road with another car in the right lane pretty much matching my speed, on a road littered with speed/red light cameras and traffic lights.

He felt I should have been speeding to pass the other car to move over to the right, and tried to make this clear at first by aggressively tailgating and flashing the high-beams, then illegally going straight in a left-only lane at a traffic light, pulling out at high speeds(lane light was also red) and cutting me off, then slammed on his brakes the moment he got in front of me(the "lesson")

I ended up pulling over and calling the police(while being threatened by the guy at first until he saw that I was serious about calling the police), breathalyzer test concluded that he was drunk and the officer told me I was not at fault(Along with informing me that he was at fault for also creating a dangerous situation by abruptly braking for no good reason, along with drunk driving)

The other guy ended up having to go to court over it, and his insurance company waited with payment until a week or so before the court date(9 months later, the Belgian legal system is slow as hell)

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
What a loving moron.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Just had to wait for someone to clear an EV charging spot - they were using it to give them room to load up someone in a wheelchair, which in itself I don't have an issue with.

But why were they needing to do this? Because half the actual disabled spots were taken by people whose disability appeared to be "I'm old and I fancy sitting in my car to eat my sandwiches".

I don't care if you're legally allowed to use them. If you don't really need to, gently caress off and leave them for people who actually do. There's an entire row of regular spaces half-empty a mere twenty feet away.

It's not even a case of needing the wider room for opening your doors more, or the closer access to the entrance because you have difficulty walking. You are sitting in your parked car. Jesus.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

People are cunts. There's a lot to be said for 'you can't see some disabilities' but honestly there's never that many loving disabled people shopping whenever I go into a store. The vast majority of spaces are just taken up by people who are straight lazy.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

88h88 posted:

People are cunts. There's a lot to be said for 'you can't see some disabilities' but honestly there's never that many loving disabled people shopping whenever I go into a store. The vast majority of spaces are just taken up by people who are straight lazy.

So what you're saying is that you can't visually identify the people in the store who may or may not have a legitimate need for a placard, but you're sure they're not there?

Indeed, people are cunts.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Handiklap posted:

So what you're saying is that you can't visually identify the people in the store who may or may not have a legitimate need for a placard, but you're sure they're not there?

Calm down, no-one is dismissing the needs of those with invisible disabilities, but there is no doubt that the badges are abused: up to 20% are held fraudulently, god knows what the figure is for those who legitmately got one for granny and use it when going to the shops on their own.

Anyone who's been a London/Liverpool pub will have been been offered one for a handful of notes at some point in the past year.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Smoke posted:

I was lucky enough to not be liable for this type of accident about 2 years ago. It helped that the other party was driving drunk and our statements of what happened matched. He wanted to "teach me a lesson" because I was driving the speed limit in the left lane of a 2-lane road with another car in the right lane pretty much matching my speed, on a road littered with speed/red light cameras and traffic lights.

He felt I should have been speeding to pass the other car to move over to the right, and tried to make this clear at first by aggressively tailgating and flashing the high-beams, then illegally going straight in a left-only lane at a traffic light, pulling out at high speeds(lane light was also red) and cutting me off, then slammed on his brakes the moment he got in front of me(the "lesson")

I ended up pulling over and calling the police(while being threatened by the guy at first until he saw that I was serious about calling the police), breathalyzer test concluded that he was drunk and the officer told me I was not at fault(Along with informing me that he was at fault for also creating a dangerous situation by abruptly braking for no good reason, along with drunk driving)

The other guy ended up having to go to court over it, and his insurance company waited with payment until a week or so before the court date(9 months later, the Belgian legal system is slow as hell)

Alright, is it my turn to be the one to say that despite everything being this drunk assholes fault, the situation could have been avoided if you had just been in the same lane as the person whose speed you were matching in the passing lane for some reason? I'm glad you didn't because I like stories where drunk drivers get their comeuppance, but most of us would have prioritized our car and our safety and avoided the situation entirely.

Edit: vv oh yeah, he mentioned there were lights on the road.

davebo fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 3, 2015

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

davebo posted:

Alright, is it my turn to be the one to say that despite everything being this drunk assholes fault, the situation could have been avoided if you had just been in the same lane as the person whose speed you were matching in the passing lane for some reason? I'm glad you didn't because I like stories where drunk drivers get their comeuppance, but most of us would have prioritized our car and our safety and avoided the situation entirely.

What passing lane? He wasn't on the highway.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

davebo posted:

2-lane road with a 70kph speed limit, quite a few light-controlled level crossings and terrible light synching.

I was coming up on a traffic light(about 300-400m from it) when the tailgating started, light turned to yellow a few seconds later. All traffic lights on that stretch have speed/red light cams. If I'd sped up to pass I'd have ended up running the red light (or getting a speeding ticket)

Police also agreed with me sticking to the speed limit for that reason, there was no way to predict something like this would happen.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Handiklap posted:

Let's just play the assume game!

Most cars parked in disabled spaces outside stores don't even have badges. There's no enforcement going on so they just park wherever.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Handiklap posted:

In the situation I posted, how disabled they were was irrelevant. Hell, they could have been missing their legs for all I could tell. Doesn't change that they were sat in their cars having a picnic while someone who really did need the advantages of the disabled space was being denied it.

I also get annoyed that the police/traffic wardens won't ticket disabled badge holders on double yellows. Look, if you painted them there, there must be a good reason for it, safety or traffic flow. So either anyone parking there is a problem, and you should ticket blue badge holders, or anyone parking there is fine, and you should remove the double yellows. If your argument is that it's safe but you want to allow blue badge holders only, paint it up as a loving disabled space.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Yesterday I watched a guy on a bicycle with a gas powered engine come down the left side of a two lane road against traffic. He caught a red light where the road expanded to four lanes and stopped in the left most lane, still against traffic. When the light turned green, he went straight, splitting between the oncoming traffic that was going straight and the oncoming traffic that was making a right turn at the light.

I'm pretty sure he's the guy I've encountered riding down the walking/biking path by my house. It says "no motorized vehicles", but the path is generally empty and his speed isn't too high that it bothers me much.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
On the road today, heading up to Michigan with my folks. A little while ago on I-70 (about halfway between Effingham, IL and Terre Haute, IN), we passed someone who was eating a Dairy Queen Blizzard while driving her little Honda Fit at 70+ mph. Cup in one hand, spoon in the other, with a couple fingers on either hand halfheartedly "holding" the wheel.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Do not fight a ticket on the "she stopped on yellow" defense. You want the "she cut me off an stopped before I could create a safe distance" defense, because it is a legally viablr defense if you can prove it and "she stopped when I didn't expect it" garners a "no duh why should we care?" response.
As for court, lookup your local court rules. Reasonable doubt burden probably applies. Research hearsay and Crawford, as for a traffic court, they almost certainly won't bring her to court. I can't give you legal advice, but reaearch those issues and actually read crawford.

nm fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 3, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

88h88 posted:

So I work in a building in an urban area. Attached to my building is a parking garage that costs $110 per month (pre tax, so it is really like 60bux). The office is surrounded by 2 hour parking. The coty has decided if you are disabled, you can park in any street spot, for free, for 72 hours. Naturally, our office is encircled in parked cars with disabled placards all the time. Meanwhile, actual disabled people have to park further away and struggle to get to our doors. Yay.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

InitialDave posted:

In the situation I posted, how disabled they were was irrelevant. Hell, they could have been missing their legs for all I could tell. Doesn't change that they were sat in their cars having a picnic while someone who really did need the advantages of the disabled space was being denied it.

I also get annoyed that the police/traffic wardens won't ticket disabled badge holders on double yellows. Look, if you painted them there, there must be a good reason for it, safety or traffic flow. So either anyone parking there is a problem, and you should ticket blue badge holders, or anyone parking there is fine, and you should remove the double yellows. If your argument is that it's safe but you want to allow blue badge holders only, paint it up as a loving disabled space.

Here, watching this always makes me feel better.

https://youtu.be/WZAwDAdyvpU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Scruff McGruff posted:

That's beautiful. I wish more police departments would do this instead of speed patrol. Just as easy revenue (assuming your area has enough events of sufficient size), but instead of ticketing someone who theoretically might hurt someone if something went wrong they're ticketing people who unquestionably are hurting people by making those with legitimate disabilities park further out.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

xzzy posted:

BRAKE. THE CORRECT WORD IS BRAKE. :tizzy:
This should be probationable in AI, surely.

lookslikerain
Jan 10, 2014

If you find yourself in a social situation, make threats.

Yesterday cruising on my commute home, chilling with the top down listening to some loud music. Some old 80s or 90s pick up pulls into the lane in front of me and proceeds to speed off while making GBS threads out a ton of black smoke in my face.

The twist, I live in Norway. I've honestly never read or heard about "rolling coal" or "lifted bro trucks" outside of this forum. I guess any form of antisocial behaviour is exportable. I really should have got the plates, my bad.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
On an older diesel it's not necessarily someone being a dickhead, the mechanically injected engines are kind of the diesel equivalent of carburetors in that they have to be tuned more for a rough range rather than being able to optimize for a specific scenario like a modern computer controlled direct injection system. It's not uncommon for them to smoke a little bit to a lot depending on various factors, especially if they're tuned for power.

Dunno what the truck situation is like over there, but here in the US it wasn't until 1994 that our diesel pickup trucks started to go electronic. The Dodge Ram stayed mechanical until 1998.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:
Seeing as how it is a holiday weekend in the land of rolling cars, I present a quiz:

I'm coming up the entrance ramp to the interstate, about 5th in line, as traffic is starting to build up for the holiday rush. Speed limit is 65, so of course, most people are doing 75-80. Our subject is in the right lane, which we are all trying to merge into, in a Miata, doing probably 50, just clearing the first car in the merge line. The four cars in front of me all are able to get right over into the left lane and pass the Miata, I however, in my trusty Jetta have to wait for another car in the left lane to go by. I get over in the left lane and start to speed up to pass the Miata. He drifts two wheels, slowly, into the left lane, and then full on swerves into the lane, forcing me to check up, and I hit the horn, to be greeted by a middle finger outside the drivers side window. I settle into the right lane, he cruises in the left lane for a little while, and then we both go on our merry way.

So, being around 11:45 am on the Friday of a holiday weekend, the quiz is, was the driver of the Miata a- just not paying attention, and getting pissed when I hit the horn, b- drunk as all get out, c- actively wanting to gently caress with me, or d- all of the above?

And to top it all off, this comes after another incident in which I, driving in a lane with a flashing yellow light, have to check up to allow a brotruck to make a turn on a flashing red, because he pulled a rolling stop.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Scruff McGruff posted:

That's absolutely glorious.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I was exiting a highway to go to the mall today and this truck behind me follows me, but goes into the shoulder, then turns back onto the highway just as the exit forked off. Gave him a thumbs up, because, uh, good job.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Had a boy racer type of guy gunning like hell to get past be before the 2:1 road ended (wires in the divider, so no way to go). I had to brake pretty hard (and I even let off the gas beforehand in anticipation of him trying something stupid like that) to let him pass, or he'd probably crashed into the wires. At least I got a "warning flash" thank you afterwards. He then proceeded to tailgate everyone he came up behind. I caught up with him 20 minutes later, still driving like a moron and for what? He made almost no time doing it.

Also, I find doing the windshield wash trick to tailgaters pretty effective. Most of them seem to realize that they are a bit too close if they have to turn their wipers on.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwsZ6Fwdpo0

Always respect your elders, giving them a wide berth.

e: vvv It's from the China.jpg thread in gibbis, the comments say it's an 80+ year old man driving to the hospital to get meds. Or maybe he works for the hospital and is drumming up business.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Always respect your elders, giving them a wide berth.

Was this some sort of Death Race 2000 re-production? How many people/things can I smash into before my car stops working?