Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Wild Wasteland also got you the YCS gun.

Actually Wild Wasteland locks you out of getting the gun because there are aliens there instead of mercs. You can get the Alien Blaster or the YCS/I86, but never both. Sort of a dick move on the devs' parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Play Dragon Age: Origins and then play Dragon Age 2 and tell me if you like your Warden or Hawke better.

Considering Hawke had some semblance of personality, which I feel is a bit necessary when you're showing your own character in conversations, I much preferred Hawke to the slightly odd-looking clay doll of the Warden that stood there looking dumb with 0 conversational interaction.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I rarely used anything other than the Hunting Rifle in FO3. Cowboy Repeater is my go-to in New Vegas, though some of the revolvers are fun. Then I got Gun Runner's Arsenal. Way too many options..

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Play Dragon Age: Origins and then play Dragon Age 2 and tell me if you like your Warden or Hawke better.

All you can prove by comparing things to DA2 is a thing that everyone already knows: DA2 is a huge turd. DAO/Mass Effect is a much more sensible comparison to make. Or Origins/Inquisition if you want to keep it in the same series.

Mr. Baps fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 4, 2015

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

OwlFancier posted:

Miss launcher best gun.

*doonk*

Nothing better than a missile launcher for a Legion assassin party. I fired one missile at the five of them, two of them died, two scattered in a pants-making GBS threads panic and only one had the balls to run at me (the one who was already charging ahead and didn't get hit by the blast).

I only killed one of the guys who tried to run, the other one just disappeared somewhere over the mountains.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

People still complaining about voiced protag/dialogue system? You only need to open your heart for it

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Great. Now sout is never gonna play Dragon Age 2, thus completing the own I initiated in my previous post. Thanks a lot assholes

Pretzel Rod Serling fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 4, 2015

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

frajaq posted:

People still complaining about voiced protag/dialogue system? You only need to open your heart for it

Or they should open their mind

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Azhais posted:

Or they should open their mind

Pictured: Your baby after the blast.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 4, 2015

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Duckbag posted:

Actually Wild Wasteland locks you out of getting the gun because there are aliens there instead of mercs. You can get the Alien Blaster or the YCS/I86, but never both. Sort of a dick move on the devs' parts.
Once per playthrough, the Auto-Doc in the Sink will allow you to reset your SPECIAL score and Traits.

I swear, it's like you people broke down crying when you couldn't save the settler in the tutorial and vowed never to play again lest you be triggered.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The YCS is a boring gun and the alien blaster has like 5 bullets so who cares. I can get Pew-Pew and Pushy no matter what perks I have :smug:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

its me, the goon who literally cried when i discovered that toddy howes locked me out of a gun in my game that i purchased

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

If food ever becomes a thing in Fallout 4 I hope they bring back the Them's Good Eatin' perk. I loved that thing. Blow up enemies, get food off their bodies.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Rutibex posted:

But they took out the Rock-It-Launcher, why does Obsidian hate fun? :(

It unfortunately didn't work right with their baller ammo system. Unfortunate, though Big Guns is such an incredible waste of points in F3 that I only ever used the Rock-It Launcher briefly as a gimmick to kill raiders with teddy bears and pool balls that I could've otherwise one-shot anyway :shrug:

2house2fly posted:

Please don't misrepresent the weapons, there are also unique versions of each one with an identical appearance but a funny name.

Okay, there are two shotguns and then two other shotguns that look and act identical to the first two in every way but do slightly more damage, and there are six unarmed weapons :toot:

Pretty sure that if you include GRA there are literally more unique guns in New Vegas than total guns in all of F3.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

chitoryu12 posted:

Fallout 3 weapons were basically done in tiers. You start with a 10mm pistol (enemies start with Chinese pistols and .32 revolvers, which are inferior to yours and just vendor trash), which is then upgraded to a .44 Magnum and/or energy weapons. Hunting rifles get replaced by sniper rifles. Assault rifles get replaced by Chinese assault rifles, which then get replaced by stuff like the Infiltrator and other unique guns. You just keep climbing the ladder, and the Mothership Zeta alien guns are basically at the top of the heap.

New Vegas is balanced much differently. The introduction of weapon mods, Damage Threshold, and new ammo types means that it's now possible for virtually every weapon to have some kind of utility all the way to the end of the game. It's completely possible for the Cowboy Repeater you picked up at level 2 to be a constant companion all the way to fighting at the Hoover Dam depending on how you modify it and what ammo you load it with. Outside of the crappiest melee, there's really no "junk guns" like Fallout 3 had that are so useless that you sell them without ever pulling the trigger.

Eh, I'd say it was the other way around. 3 just had a jumble of guns, some of which were better than others, but New Vegas had set tiers of weapons with a semi-linear progression. Take pistols, for example: If you sort them by the Guns skill you need to use each weapon effectively, you end up with:

Tier I: 9mm Pistol, .22 Pistol, .357 Magnum
Tier II: 10mm Pistol, .45 Auto Pistol
Tier III: ."That Gun"/5.56mm Pistol
Tier IV: 12.7mm Pistol, Hunting Revolver/Ranger Sequoia

Likewise, rifles and SMGs can be categorized similarly:

Tier I: Varmint Rifle
Tier II: 9mm SMG, Cowboy Repeater, Service Rifle
Tier III: 10mm SMG, Hunting Rifle, Silenced .22 SMG
Tier IV: .45 Auto SMG, Assault Carbine, Sniper Rifle, This Machine/Battle Rifle, Trail Carbine
Tier V: 12.7mm SMG, Anti-Material Rifle, Brush Gun, Light Machine Gun, Marksman's Carbine

What sets it apart from Fallout 3, though, is that Obsidian included ammo types, weapon mods, and perks that allowed you to continue lower-tiered guns effectively farther into the game. Now, there's still gonna be a point where even your scoped 9mm pistol with expanded mags and +P ammo is no longer effective against Deathclaws and Power Armor. But thanks to weapons in lower tiers often sharing ammo with weapons from higher tiers, you can take all the ammo you built up for your 9mm pistol and put it in your 9mm SMG. And hey, if that stops being effective, you can break down the ammo and use it to help stock up for your next weapon. It's a really neat setup, especially since Obsidian bothered to do this with every weapon type (For the most part). Want to throw explosives around? Start with the 40mm Grenade Rifle (Tier II), upgrade to the Grenade Launcher or 25mm APW if you have GRA (Tier IV), top off with the Grenade Machinegun (Tier V)-or keep using the 25mm APW, because it's some of the most fun you'll have in the game. It's a great, quasi-realistic and in-depth system that can be completely ignored if you just want to grab guns and go "pew pew." It's also one of the few things it looks like Bethesda will be expanding on from New Vegas (At least partially, since skill requirements and ammo types appear to be out) as opposed to ignoring completely, so it'll be interesting to see what they end up doing with the system.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Father Wendigo posted:

Once per playthrough, the Auto-Doc in the Sink will allow you to reset your SPECIAL score and Traits.

I swear, it's like you people broke down crying when you couldn't save the settler in the tutorial and vowed never to play again lest you be triggered.

Yeah um, I'm not sure I'm actually one of the "you people" you're bitching about, but maybe you needed to vent? :shrug:

Anyway, Wild Wasteland was sort of underwhelming in general and I got pretty annoyed when I realized it locked me out of the unique Gauss rifle in exchange for a gun with hardly any ammo. This was on my first playthrough, mind, so neither The Sink nor any of the sweet DLC energy weapons were around yet.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Wolfsheim posted:

It unfortunately didn't work right with their baller ammo system. Unfortunate, though Big Guns is such an incredible waste of points in F3 that I only ever used the Rock-It Launcher briefly as a gimmick to kill raiders with teddy bears and pool balls that I could've otherwise one-shot anyway :shrug:

Okay, there are two shotguns and then two other shotguns that look and act identical to the first two in every way but do slightly more damage, and there are six unarmed weapons :toot:

Pretty sure that if you include GRA there are literally more unique guns in New Vegas than total guns in all of F3.

Alright, so I had some time and decided to has out some numbers, and you're not tremendously far off.

Fallout 3 Weapons
Counting ALL Weapons (Incl. DLC and Uniques): 135
Common Weapons (Incl. DLC): 73
Base Weapons: 56
Unique Weapons (Incl. DLC): 62
Unique Base Weapons: 30

Fallout New Vegas Weapons
Counting ALL Weapons (Incl. DLC and Uniques): 239
Common Weapons (Incl. DLC): 150
Base Weapons: 123
Unique Weapons: 89
Unique Base Weapons: 38

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I haven't seen a lot of post-E3 stuff posted but there are apparently some things out there. In case people haven't seen it yet, here's an interview with everyone's favourite second coming of Hitler.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/...~phqLesk9yRqpux

Not really much new information and really just a lot of dodging of questions, but one of my favourite bits was:

Pol Pot II posted:

What about the change in technology and hardware? Did you always know it was coming to these platforms?
"We've known for a while, and that's helped tremendously. Whereas, we're classic PC developers, so even though we've always done console stuff, we're still having to do kind of triple work on the previous generation, so a PC version, a 360 and PS3, but now we can dedicate our time to, you know - they're all similar in architecture to a PC, they have lots of memory, so the amount of extra time we have to spend on each platform is greatly reduced, so we're just much more effective with our time."
As we've already seen this game isn't being hamstrung by being forced to run on some lovely PowerPC bullshit hardware not even your grandmother would want to use. They also confirm in the interview that there are no loading screens and a lot of the buildings - including Boston's skyscrapers - are open for exploration. So for everyone out there who was so pissed that DC's streets were clogged with rubble, you can stop cutting yourselves now.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

A bunch of identical steam tunnels with gently caress-epic loot, like baubles I can trade for 15 caps a piece. That's what I'm talking about. And if I can get some sick weapons with really deece memes attached? All the better.

You are god damned right. I slurp up that poo poo with an extra wide straw.

How is Tale of Two Wastelands? Does it remove Fallout 3's thing were you could easily max out your special stats and where filling out all your skills was an inevitability? Do mods like making the Canterbury commons caravans essential not work with it then? I like DC/wasteland street lights too. I'd be sad if I couldn't play with them anymore.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Broose posted:

How is Tale of Two Wastelands? Does it remove Fallout 3's thing were you could easily max out your special stats and where filling out all your skills was an inevitability? Do mods like making the Canterbury commons caravans essential not work with it then? I like DC/wasteland street lights too. I'd be sad if I couldn't play with them anymore.

I played through Tale of Two Wastelands a few months ago, and it was pretty solid. There are add-ons to try to reduce the effect of stuff like Bobbleheads, but on the whole it's basically Fallout 3 running in New Vegas, with everything adjusted to match. With regards to mods, most of the more popular mods for 3 have been adapted with TTW specific versions, and if there's a mod that hasn't been it's not too hard to convert it yourself. Definitely worth checking out if you have the time to make sure it's set up properly.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
I am not looking forward to seeing how next gem ghouls look. They were gross enough already.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Eh, I'd say it was the other way around. 3 just had a jumble of guns, some of which were better than others, but New Vegas had set tiers of weapons with a semi-linear progression. Take pistols, for example: If you sort them by the Guns skill you need to use each weapon effectively, you end up with:

Tier I: 9mm Pistol, .22 Pistol, .357 Magnum
Tier II: 10mm Pistol, .45 Auto Pistol
Tier III: ."That Gun"/5.56mm Pistol
Tier IV: 12.7mm Pistol, Hunting Revolver/Ranger Sequoia

Likewise, rifles and SMGs can be categorized similarly:

Tier I: Varmint Rifle
Tier II: 9mm SMG, Cowboy Repeater, Service Rifle
Tier III: 10mm SMG, Hunting Rifle, Silenced .22 SMG
Tier IV: .45 Auto SMG, Assault Carbine, Sniper Rifle, This Machine/Battle Rifle, Trail Carbine
Tier V: 12.7mm SMG, Anti-Material Rifle, Brush Gun, Light Machine Gun, Marksman's Carbine

What sets it apart from Fallout 3, though, is that Obsidian included ammo types, weapon mods, and perks that allowed you to continue lower-tiered guns effectively farther into the game. Now, there's still gonna be a point where even your scoped 9mm pistol with expanded mags and +P ammo is no longer effective against Deathclaws and Power Armor. But thanks to weapons in lower tiers often sharing ammo with weapons from higher tiers, you can take all the ammo you built up for your 9mm pistol and put it in your 9mm SMG. And hey, if that stops being effective, you can break down the ammo and use it to help stock up for your next weapon. It's a really neat setup, especially since Obsidian bothered to do this with every weapon type (For the most part). Want to throw explosives around? Start with the 40mm Grenade Rifle (Tier II), upgrade to the Grenade Launcher or 25mm APW if you have GRA (Tier IV), top off with the Grenade Machinegun (Tier V)-or keep using the 25mm APW, because it's some of the most fun you'll have in the game. It's a great, quasi-realistic and in-depth system that can be completely ignored if you just want to grab guns and go "pew pew." It's also one of the few things it looks like Bethesda will be expanding on from New Vegas (At least partially, since skill requirements and ammo types appear to be out) as opposed to ignoring completely, so it'll be interesting to see what they end up doing with the system.

There was still a tier system of sorts to let you upgrade to new guns, but they were balanced out with things like more expensive and rare ammo and higher recoil.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
My baby's due date coincides with this game's release date so I can be a dad while I'm being a dad.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Lazy_Liberal posted:

My baby's due date coincides with this game's release date so I can be a dad while I'm being a dad.

You have time to abandon your family.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Inzombiac posted:

You have time to abandon your family.

X: GET FOOD

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

If you didn't like the Ballistic Fist, the MF Hyperbreeder Alpha, Lucky, or the Anti-Materiel Rifle, you can get out.

Sorry, I like guns with actual ammo in them.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Need some goonvice. Should i play fallout 4 when it comes out, or should i put my nuts up on a dresser, just the nuts, and then bang them shits with a spiked bat like POW

do both, then kill yourself

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Bholder posted:

Sorry, I like guns with actual ammo in them.

you don't like the gun that can shoot explosive bullets

what is wrong with you

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I still have no idea what the gently caress Bethesda was thinking when they took the PPSh and turned it into a shotgun in Fallout 3.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

I still have no idea what the gently caress Bethesda was thinking when they took the PPSh and turned it into a shotgun in Fallout 3.

That thing always bothered me, I still don't understand how it suppose to function, like at all, when the magazine is inserted near the front and the ejection port is way in the back of the gun. I know this game series isn't realistic at all, but goddamn, that's like below a level of 101 gun stuff right there.

How does this thing even cycle a bolt!?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Back Hack posted:

That thing always bothered me, I still don't understand how it suppose to function, like at all, when the magazine is inserted near the front and the ejection port is way in the back of the gun. I know this game series isn't realistic at all, but goddamn, that's like below a level of 101 gun stuff right there.

It's very very long-recoil operated

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

It's very very long-recoil operated

In reverse and through 3/4 of the gun? :v:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Back Hack posted:

Very carefully.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Back Hack posted:

UHHHHHHHHH
Obviously, the gas fires the casing all the way back and then is ejected.
It's simple loving science, you morans :smuggo:

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

In a world with gatling lasers, are the workings of a shotgun really that important?

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

You see Ivan,

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Broose posted:

There might be mods to remove the bobbleheads if you don't like having that much special. The skills complaint is strange since maxing out all your skills was only marginally more difficult in new vegas.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Like the PPSh--the ugly and inelegant product of a joyless Communist war machine--the vaguely titled "Combat Shotgun" is a baffling problem imported by the equally enigmatic Chinese invader. Frankly, it's the equivalent of TES's Dwarven weapons with their brutalist aesthetics: To keen eyes, they appear purely utilitarian...yet seem simultaneously impractical or impossible to use. To a lesser extent, the same thing could be said of the "Chinese Assault Rifle", which clearly resembles the Kalashnikov, another blunt product born of Communist necessity and devoid of Western love or grace.

And in a sense, the Chinese of Fallout are the IP's Dwarves. In both cases, they are an exotic species that is all but gone by the time the player experiences the world (although their crap continues to litter the wasteland). The Chinese had their propaganda recordings echoing long after the war ended; the Dwarves had their infernal Rube Goldberg machines clanking deep within the earth for centuries after their disappearance. Remnants of the "Ghoulified" Chinese army haunted a candy factory without purpose; Dwarven ghosts wandered the halls of their subterranean lairs. Chinese General Jingwei, a participant of a simulation of a battle that ended centuries prior, growls at the player in a strange language; bloated Yagrum Bagarn, the last remaining Dwarf, surrounds himself with the walking dead and regales the player with tales of alien antiquity.

It is probably the most masterful thing Bethesda ever did for Fallout 3, frankly. By borrowing themes from Morrowind's most mysterious residents, we're left to find the remains of these ancient invaders and ask the salient questions. Who were these Chinese? What did they want? Where did they come from? How did their technologies truly work? They're questions that each person must answer for themselves, but will never know for certain.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jul 4, 2015

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Back Hack posted:

Is this a real and serious complaint?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Another offensive note: the barrel is still the same length as on a PPSh-41, but the magazine is placed halfway down it.

• Locked thread