Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!

chitoryu12 posted:

A few months ago we had an annual meeting for one of the companies I worked for, and one of the guest speakers was Brigadier General Charles Ickes. He told a story about his days piloting F-106 Delta Darts in the northern part of the United States, the nuclear-armed interceptors against a Soviet bomber force flying in from the north.

One day, his group took off and started flying over a nearby lake in the Great Lakes (can't recall which one it is, but I Googled the lake afterward and found a witness to this incident had posted on a forum about it) when one of their engines flared up. Ickes thought he was hitting his afterburner, so he hit his own and flew past him. Then he saw that the engine was actually on fire with metal bits flying out the back, and the pilot ejected. The plane landed in the lake; had it been angled just a few degrees higher, its coasting to the ground would have resulted in it hitting a lakeside power plant. The canopy of the plane also landed in the forest and sliced a trailer in half while the woman who lived in it was taking a shower.

Investigators ran over the remains with a fine-toothed comb and eventually managed to trace the cause all the way back to a single factory making turbine blades for Pratt & Whitney J75 engines. They had a minor flaw in their manufacturing process that caused blades to come out with an abrasion on one edge. This greatly reduced their workable lifespan, and eventually one of the blades in the F-106 engine snapped and instantly shredded the engine.

:stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

ghosTTy fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 3, 2015

Fiberoptic Fable
Sep 6, 2011
Hell Gem

Come on now, this poo poo will hold easily, since both things are made out of wood. :smug:

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Just need to re-tighten the straps every few miles.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So I found that I actually still had the video I took of Ickes speaking in my Dropbox and I pulled it up to remind myself of the details. Don't worry, the F-106s weren't carrying the nuclear rocket; the Genies were kept locked up until they were needed, which obviously never happened. Wikipedia does have a picture of an F-106 firing an inert version!

The incident was in 1975 with two-seater training Delta Darts over Lake Superior. I'll transcribe some of it for you here.

quote:

And I noticed that he lit his afterburner. And I thought "This is interesting, why'd he light his afterburner?" .... unfortunately, he didn't light his afterburner. His engine had just blown up. But I was about a quarter of a mile behind him, so all of a sudden I'm in full afterburner and his engine blew up. The accident board later figured out it took a quarter of a second for him to go from full power to zero. So you can imagine the impact on an airplane when literally the turbine in front of the engine broke and went through the engine, and that all happened in a quarter of a second.

And then I watched this stuff start flying off the airplane and never having seen this I'm like "What is that? Why are panels coming off the airplane?" Then I realized the two pilots had just ejected. So I'm watching two live ejections, we're about 1200 feet above the ground, and straight ahead of us is the power plant in Marquette, Michigan. And now all of a sudden my brain goes "Look at that. That airplane is aimed at that power plant." .... I'm on the radio calling the flight lead, who's about two miles ahead of us going "Why aren't you guys catching up?" and I'm like "Well, we have a little scenario back here and, uh....."

The pilots were both safe. One of the funny things about this is their canopy came off and it went through a lady's trailer, that lived out there in the woods, and she was in the shower. So that would be a rude awakening, it was about nine in the morning. And that canopy weighed about 400 pounds, and it literally split her trailer in half and crushed it in. So of course the Air Force paid for all of that.

A team from the Air Force then comes in with seven to ten experts and they took as long as they needed, they dug into every aspect of that accident. That was an interesting thing to learn as a young pilot, because we learned not only how every aspect of what we did was scrutinized, but things that we did and didn't do and how they might impact the overall mission of the Air Force. .... They went in and pulled that airplane up .... they pulled it out of the water, they got the engine back. Literally figured out which blade in the engine out of hundreds of blades had an abrasion on it, which caused metal fatigue which caused it to crack which caused the turbine to then start coming apart, and that all occurred in a quarter of a second. And they figured out where that blade was manufactured and they figured out that their process was wrong.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Al Nipper posted:

Why contain it?

s'cool

Desperate? Your turn. Desperate. Desperate. Desperate.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmpmneSSClM

I'm not completely sure what this man was trying to accomplish.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Three-Phase posted:

It looks like he's got a REALLY bad idea of what a jet engine is and how it functions. I think his plan was to spray burning fuel out the back and use a turbine (spun by the leaf blower) to turn it into thrust. All he ends up doing is splattering burning liquid all over everything.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I thought he was using the leaf blower as a makeshift air start unit to try and get the compressor spinning fast enough to idle or run up.

My favorite part is the lack of failure planning. Not even a fire extinguisher? come on.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

`Nemesis posted:

I thought he was using the leaf blower as a makeshift air start unit to try and get the compressor spinning fast enough to idle or run up.

My favorite part is the lack of failure planning. Not even a fire extinguisher? come on.

According to the video description, he credits it with "giving it too much fuel".

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

chitoryu12 posted:

So I found that I actually still had the video I took of Ickes speaking in my Dropbox and I pulled it up to remind myself of the details. Don't worry, the F-106s weren't carrying the nuclear rocket; the Genies were kept locked up until they were needed, which obviously never happened. Wikipedia does have a picture of an F-106 firing an inert version!

The incident was in 1975 with two-seater training Delta Darts over Lake Superior. I'll transcribe some of it for you here.

This is a really cool story. Must have been awesome to hear in person.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Three-Phase posted:

Probably this but he lacked the know how to actually pull it off:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EorMrpM6q9Q

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Turbine failure.

http://www.gr8tfate.com/wp/2009/09/21/russian-dam-turbine-destruction-photos/

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
When I was a kid, we had a decorative harpoon up on the wall for years. We took it down after redecorating and sold it at a garage sale.

The guys who bought it couldn't fit it in the car, so they drove away exactly like this. I was really hoping they'd go harpoon a minivan or something.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Rexxed posted:

Probably this but he lacked the know how to actually pull it off:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EorMrpM6q9Q

I actually went and re-watched that after seeing the hillbilly set his table saw on fire but then decided against posting the three video series. Now I only need to post the other two though!

Here is multiple world record holder/lunatic Colin Furze building his second jet engine (the one posted above), this time without using any complex tools:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InvF9e5kyjo

And because he gets paid to make internet videos of jet engine construction, here is the video of him burning the poo poo out of his arm (and then getting the blisters drained) because he was fiddling with a propane connection and forgot to tighten it back down:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FYZFAuhFV4

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Wear your helmet.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=62a_1435947070

Probably wouldn't have helped that guy, but still.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

TVs Ian posted:

When I was a kid, we had a decorative harpoon up on the wall for years. We took it down after redecorating and sold it at a garage sale.

The guys who bought it couldn't fit it in the car, so they drove away exactly like this. I was really hoping they'd go harpoon a minivan or something.

why would you ever let a harpoon out of the family?

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Cat Hatter posted:

Here is multiple world record holder/lunatic Colin Furze building his second jet engine (the one posted above), this time without using any complex tools:

Yeah, its a lot easier "building" a jet engine if one of your building materials is two turbines connected by a shaft.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Say Nothing posted:

Turbine failure.

Even the wooden walkway they built looks totally unsafe.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

chitoryu12 posted:

Oh holy poo poo. I used to live in Marquette! I've been to the exact place he's describing. That's a little freaky.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

KernelSlanders posted:

Yeah, its a lot easier "building" a jet engine if one of your building materials is two turbines connected by a shaft.

...which is exactly why most hobbyists start with a turbocharger. High speed bearings, turbine blades, and housings built to withstand the temperatures/speeds involved and machined to the correct tolerances is kind of beyond most well equipped garages. Getting all the combustion chamber and plumbing to work is difficult enough for most people.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Craptacular posted:

Wear your helmet.

How did his head just not burst like a ripe melon? That rock was as big as his head and travelling so fast it wasn't even arcing.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
The easiest jet engine to build is a pulse jet, since there are no moving parts. They are hilariously loud and hot, though, but cool to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2LyiE_jgLs

Then you put the engine in an RC plane (warning: excellent piloting)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxYuffN0qCY

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Gorilla Salad posted:

How did his head just not burst like a ripe melon? That rock was as big as his head and travelling so fast it wasn't even arcing.

I'm pretty sure it was a bucket.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I don't know how anyone can hate Colin Furze, he's just so delightfully happy, and excited about everything. Even if someday he's definitely gonna end up doing something terrible to himself, he'll probably happily laugh the whole way through. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsXWspo5hrc

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yawgmoth posted:

Oh holy poo poo. I used to live in Marquette! I've been to the exact place he's describing. That's a little freaky.

Just think, a few degrees higher on the nose and it could have been a much different place you'd have visited!

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I don't know how anyone can hate Colin Furze, he's just so delightfully happy, and excited about everything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQf5cGPcP48
Happy 4th of July, US goons.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
No matter what, I think we can all agree Colin Furze's "safety tie" (and common lack of any other PPE) qualifies for this thread.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
I like his jet kettle. Specifically, the way he (a) uses it indoors and (b) does not wear ear protection while using it.

The Hman
Jan 6, 2015

plot twist that guy actually has plastic arms with suction cups stuck on his windows

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Saw something similar myself once (not in russia either) - guy in about that same sized car with his mates all hanging onto a mattress that was on the roof of the car, not entirely roped on. My dad was driving and he had a good old growl at them and then in his rear vision saw a police car zooming up the overtaking lane and went "HA! gently caress YES!" and as it zoomed on past and caught up with mattress car we saw the police car had something tied up and partially hanging out of the boot. It was the rest of the loving bed.

Keep it classy, Tasmania.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

IPCRESS posted:

I like his jet kettle. Specifically, the way he (a) uses it indoors and (b) does not wear ear protection while using it.

His granddad was a WW1 artilleryman, and deaf as a post.
His father was a WW2 Naval gunnery officer, and deaf as a post.
Colin likes jet engines and Safety Ties, and will be deaf as a post.

now entering North Dakota
Feb 22, 2013

Fun Shoe

IPCRESS posted:

You heard him say it himself. "It's wispah quiet"

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Even the wooden walkway they built looks totally unsafe.

I don't know, that actually looks like a pretty competent job. No missing planks or anything immediately wrong with it, besides questionable locations for some of the support beams.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aVWkk4K_HQ

Yeah, I'll just hold on tight, it'll be fiiiiine

Craptacular posted:

Wear your helmet.

Without thinking, when watching the replay, I found myself murmuring in a deep baritone

"...HEADSHOT"

simplefish fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 4, 2015

Gentwise
Sep 12, 2003
Gentwise Bankfourthe, Esquire.

Sammus posted:

I don't know, that actually looks like a pretty competent job. No missing planks or anything immediately wrong with it, besides questionable locations for some of the support beams.

To be fair, questionable locations of support beams probably contributed to plenty of the stuff in this thread.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

simplefish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aVWkk4K_HQ

Yeah, I'll just hold on tight, it'll be fiiiiine

Without thinking, when watching the replay, I found myself murmuring in a deep baritone

"...HEADSHOT"

You mean you didn't think 'Classic fencing response' ?

So the video didn't really explain it nor did the comments: Why is that the sound a turbine engineer doesn't want to hear? Is it the sound of a screw getting stuck? I reckon that's a much better sound than hearing an activated turbine explode in your face when it encounters a screw. :confused:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

why would you ever let a harpoon out of the family?

I was too young to have a say in the matter. My parents redecorated from a nautical theme (harpoon, brass ship's wheel clock, sea paintings, fish tank) to a vaguely southwestern thing when they had an addition put on the house, and the harpoon moved to the garage until it was sold off.

We also had a non-functional traffic light that I wanted to try and turn into a lamp that got sold off at the same time despite my objections.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

chitoryu12 posted:

Just think, a few degrees higher on the nose and it could have been a much different place you'd have visited!
Don't think for a second that the crater wouldn't be The Hangout for NMU students.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Rick_Hunter posted:

You mean you didn't think 'Classic fencing response' ?

So the video didn't really explain it nor did the comments: Why is that the sound a turbine engineer doesn't want to hear? Is it the sound of a screw getting stuck? I reckon that's a much better sound than hearing an activated turbine explode in your face when it encounters a screw. :confused:
I would guess because if it is a turbine that would be in use you have to find the screw which may not always come out the other side.

• Locked thread