Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

After much grinding, I beat Sandworm with my party of berserkers at level 42.

And so I steamrolled through the desert, and the ruins. and finally got my earth job, settling my final job loadout for my first fiesta run ever:

:shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

XavierGenisi posted:

After much grinding, I beat Sandworm with my party of berserkers at level 42.

And so I steamrolled through the desert, and the ruins. and finally got my earth job, settling my final job loadout for my first fiesta run ever:

:shepicide:

Samurai? poo poo, here's your easy win on a gold platter with icing on top.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Well PEW PEW PEW that's the end PEW PEW PEW of my first ever PEW PEW PEW run of FFV PEW PEW PEW ever, thanks meteor/quick PEW PEW PEW

gently caress Almagest for making me grind out ten levels for the HP to survive it though. Also I can't seem to get rods to break on myself in the IOS version so no Omega.

InfernoBlade
Dec 3, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

Sadly not.

code:
GOBLIN PUNCH
Damage = Weapon Goblin Punch Damage (if 2-Handed, add GP Damage from 
each hand.  Dbl Grip has no effect)
Damage = Damage - Defense
If Target Level = Attacker Level, Defense = 0
Damage = Damage * M
M = (Strength*Level)/128 + 2
If Target Level = Attacker Level, M = M * 8
No Back Row Modifications
Hit% = 100%
Attack Element becomes None

This breaks my programmer brain. All the changing variables after using them... This is saying that damage ignores defense when equal level, and that the damage calculated normally is also multiplied by 8 in that situation? Is that right?

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Hahahaha yes! Finally beat Neo-Exdeath for the first time, after getting it on Anthologies all these years ago. gently caress you, NED. You just got beaten by a white mage, a mystic knight, a samurai, and a zombie geomancer.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

derra
Dec 29, 2012

David Corbett posted:

The good news: I destroyed Shinryu. Slowly. :smug:

The bad news: Neo Exdeath absolutely crushed my team (WM/MK/GEO/SAM). Just what the heck do I need to do in order to beat him? I smashed Tree!Exdeath's face in and even had time to buff my team up before finishing him off, but I had absolutely no luck against the big bad himself. I'm at about Level 40... do I just need to do more level grinding?

(I hope the below picture is good enough. Shinryu doesn't really have a decent death animation, so I missed it entirely.)

Put Shells up in P1, then Blinks. You can Magic Lamp Odin on the back piece, and Break Sword the bottom right piece for instant kills. Zeninage is good at finishing off remaining pieces, Gaia with an Air Knife isn't terrible either. You can do all this from the back row too. Should be able to do that easily at 40. You could put Zeninage as your secondary on all your guys and just toss money with the occasional heal and win easy.

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands
Oh man, we all know how well the Knight and Ranger synergize, but I had forgotten just how crazy useful the 100% hit rate of Rapidfire can be. It turns the normally-useless Blood Sword into a world 2 boss killer. I wouldn't have worried so much about the Exdeath fight if I had remembered this...

Here I come, World 3...

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

derra posted:

Put Shells up in P1, then Blinks. You can Magic Lamp Odin on the back piece, and Break Sword the bottom right piece for instant kills. Zeninage is good at finishing off remaining pieces, Gaia with an Air Knife isn't terrible either. You can do all this from the back row too. Should be able to do that easily at 40. You could put Zeninage as your secondary on all your guys and just toss money with the occasional heal and win easy.

Thanks for the tips. I actually ended up using a really conventional strategy - plenty of buffs (since I had !white as the primary or secondary on all my characters, plus the Masamune for haste) plus some gil tossing and flare chicken knifing. What you suggested would have been a much better plan.

Nethertribes
Mar 19, 2011

BLOOD

InfernoBlade posted:

This breaks my programmer brain. All the changing variables after using them... This is saying that damage ignores defense when equal level, and that the damage calculated normally is also multiplied by 8 in that situation? Is that right?

Yeah, defense is ignored if you're the same level as the target & the normal damage gets multiplied by 8. Using a Lv.99 & 99 Strength Goblin Punch, compare 5070 damage (vs Exdeath in the Void) vs a theoretical 62400 vs something that's Lv. 99.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

"Equip Axes is not a very good [ability]" -Dragondarch, 2015

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

http://fourjobfiesta.com/players.php?player=Rilgon

rk what the gently caress

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

At least you don't have to do the end of World 1 with four Bards.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

...good luck?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

David Corbett posted:

...good luck?

I mean

eventually I can beat the game with this

the issue is getting there

E: Lenna is currently knifing Titan for 60 damage a hit while he is stop-locked a la Omega. Hell yes.

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 4, 2015

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

So, can undead poo poo themselves?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

That is basically a better team than t hawk's gimmick run of 4 bard with no hide command. http://www.dos486.com/ff/bards/ it does have the best Ned run though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Chaos dealt me 2 Earth jobs (so far) so I'm trying to get into Ronka Ruins with 4 beastmasters. Is there anything I can do against the missiles/flamethrowers other than going back to farm sand bears each time or chugging potions?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Bruceski posted:

Chaos dealt me 2 Earth jobs (so far) so I'm trying to get into Ronka Ruins with 4 beastmasters. Is there anything I can do against the missiles/flamethrowers other than going back to farm sand bears each time or chugging potions?

The Blitz Whip may help some, but releasing Sand Bears is probably your best bet.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

At least you don't have to do the end of World 1 with four Bards.

I just had to do this.

Needed about 25 elixirs + level 30 for Adamantoise and Archaeoavis : (

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Anyone happen to know the best part of the Ruins section of the Void to find Baldanders enemies? I'm trying to farm a Rune Bell for my Geomancer.

At the moment I'm using the tiny room with the chain that goes to the village part, but it's kind of risky since there's a decent chance of getting Back Attacked by four Death Dealers that immediately proceed to spam Roulette.

EDIT: Nevermind, got one in the aforementioned section. Well, answer anyway if you want, I could use the info for future reference.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 4, 2015

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Bruceski posted:

For missiles you can always just equip plain old dagger on each party member. That way you can't die. And yeah probably sand bears.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Bufuman posted:

Anyone happen to know the best part of the Ruins section of the Void to find Baldanders enemies? I'm trying to farm a Rune Bell for my Geomancer.

At the moment I'm using the tiny room with the chain that goes to the village part, but it's kind of risky since there's a decent chance of getting Back Attacked by four Death Dealers that immediately proceed to spam Roulette.

EDIT: Nevermind, got one in the aforementioned section. Well, answer anyway if you want, I could use the info for future reference.

FWIW I think that little room IS the best place to farm for it.

texasmed
May 27, 2004

derra posted:

I just had to do this.

Needed about 25 elixirs + level 30 for Adamantoise and Archaeoavis : (

Sorry if it's common knowledge, but where can you find elixirs in world 1? I have a couple from chests, but nothing close to 20. I don't have access to steal in my run, so I guess that could screw me on those.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

texasmed posted:

Sorry if it's common knowledge, but where can you find elixirs in world 1? I have a couple from chests, but nothing close to 20. I don't have access to steal in my run, so I guess that could screw me on those.

There's like ten during the escape from exploring Karnak, and you can farm as many as you can tolerate grinding for from the Moldwynds in the Wind Shrine.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

texasmed posted:

Moldwynds in the Wind Shrine is widely regarded to be the best spot. Farm in the room where Wing Raptor was hanging out. You'll typically get at least one Moldwynd per battle, and an uncommon encounter against three of them.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

Why not just come in with Hermes Sandals on the Time Mage and a Reflect Ring on anyone else? Any class can out-speed the opening Tidal Wave.

E: Hell, you don't even need the Ring - the reason you need it for Omega is because he has innate Reflect. Shinryu has no such impediment.

I forgot to get a Reflect Ring in Barrier Tower and I don't have a way to steal :smithicide:

Also I didn't realize that; I thought Quickleak relied on Reflect as some sort of accuracy ignoring thing or whatever. That's really good to know since Omega is a little slower and I can probably set up a manual Reflect to deal with him. If I can just chump Shinryu in one turn, then that's great.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Alabaster White posted:

I forgot to get a Reflect Ring in Barrier Tower and I don't have a way to steal :smithicide:

They're available in Phoenix Tower. Also, everyone has a way to steal; go get the Thief Knife from Mirage in the Pub behind the bar (second to last barrel from the top).

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

LeafyOrb posted:

Well PEW PEW PEW that's the end PEW PEW PEW of my first ever PEW PEW PEW run of FFV PEW PEW PEW ever, thanks meteor/quick PEW PEW PEW

gently caress Almagest for making me grind out ten levels for the HP to survive it though. Also I can't seem to get rods to break on myself in the IOS version so no Omega.

If I was to do this at a lower level i'd try dumping the MNK H+30% on the Dragoon with the Aegis Shield for a lucky block, and WonderWand Shell onto the MNK and then you'd be able to recover probably. Still a really low powered team aside from the Time mage though so I see why.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

They're available in Phoenix Tower. Also, everyone has a way to steal; go get the Thief Knife from Mirage in the Pub behind the bar (second to last barrel from the top).

Oooooh poo poo, I KNEW there was something kicking around in the back of my head about a weapon that steals. I got it confused with the gloves though, and wrote it off as a mistake. Although if you had a team of 4 Monks I guess you'd be really boned if you wanted to steal something :v:

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Goons, I need help!
Decided to try a chaos run and I made it to the flying Ronka Ruins with just 4 mystic Knights without much trouble, but this dungeon is seriously kicking my rear end. I attempted to just run to Archeoaevis and hope for the best, but my party hits him for ~160 damage at best!

Can anyone think of a strat to make this boss easier with four mystic Knights or do I just need to grind for days?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Poulpe posted:

Goons, I need help!
Decided to try a chaos run and I made it to the flying Ronka Ruins with just 4 mystic Knights without much trouble, but this dungeon is seriously kicking my rear end. I attempted to just run to Archeoaevis and hope for the best, but my party hits him for ~160 damage at best!

Can anyone think of a strat to make this boss easier with four mystic Knights or do I just need to grind for days?

Archeoaevis starts with really high physical defense and slowly swaps to high magical defense as you damage it. Each 1600 HP will denote a form change and its defense will lower. Just go to town with physical attacks (don't bother with spellblade because it will absorb the basic elements, and isn't vulnerable to any of the statuses).

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Alabaster White posted:

Archeoaevis starts with really high physical defense and slowly swaps to high magical defense as you damage it. Each 1600 HP will denote a form change and its defense will lower. Just go to town with physical attacks (don't bother with spellblade because it will absorb the basic elements, and isn't vulnerable to any of the statuses).

The mythril swords two of my dudes are rocking are hitting for 10-20 damage, is there something better I should have by now?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Poulpe posted:

The mythril swords two of my dudes are rocking are hitting for 10-20 damage, is there something better I should have by now?

You should have some Coral Swords (although this is dangerous because one of his forms absorbs lightning), the Ancient Sword, and the Main Gauche. I'm only good at very general strategy, so you should probably pop on the IRC if you want deep, class-specific information.

Also, if you have any Flame Rings, you can heal yourself with Fire Sword, too.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Alabaster White posted:

You should have some Coral Swords (although this is dangerous because one of his forms absorbs lightning), the Ancient Sword, and the Main Gauche. I'm only good at very general strategy, so you should probably pop on the IRC if you want deep, class-specific information.

Yeah your main attackers are going to be the Main Gauche and the Ancient Sword user with the Power Armlet and Kenpo Gi armors. Use the other two to heal through the first few phases and then try to burn it at the end. If you don't want to grind your levels up super high getting flame rings from the dogs outside karnak (money for the rings) you're going to have to go grind some elixirs at the wind shrine.

http://www.cavesofnarshe.com/ff5/walkthrough.php?chapter=1-34

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Alabaster White posted:

If I remember right, using a spellblade skill (even the non-elemental kind like "silence") overwrites the base element of the weapon you're using. So if the best thing you've got for some of your guys is a coral sword, you can use a spellblade just to keep Archeoavis from absorbing or nulling the lightning element.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
For W1 elixirs I also kinda like the map room in the ship graveyard, you get a lot there and the AP's decent while you're at it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Schwartzcough posted:

If I remember right, using a spellblade skill (even the non-elemental kind like "silence") overwrites the base element of the weapon you're using. So if the best thing you've got for some of your guys is a coral sword, you can use a spellblade just to keep Archeoavis from absorbing or nulling the lightning element.

But if the target is immune to the status effect you're using, your attacks will all miss.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

neongrey posted:

For W1 elixirs I also kinda like the map room in the ship graveyard, you get a lot there and the AP's decent while you're at it.

Yeah, people like to mention Moldwynds for Elixir farming, but half the enemies in the Ship graveyard (Calcruthls and Undead Husks) can drop them too.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

But if the target is immune to the status effect you're using, your attacks will all miss.

Hmm, guess I forgot that detail. Well, you can always use a spellblade to change your damage from Lightning to some other element that ISN'T absorbed/nullified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Maleketh posted:

Yeah, people like to mention Moldwynds for Elixir farming, but half the enemies in the Ship graveyard (Calcruthls and Undead Husks) can drop them too.

Calcruthl is a really weird monster name. Where'd it come from? I would have guessed Lou Carcolh except it got another t in the second half and then switched some letters around.

• Locked thread