Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
"We don't have a healer in our party!" Oh Shigaraki, you freak.

Also, wow, Iida, you figured out where the hero-killer is going to be, so you... Go off alone, not informing anyone of what you know or what you're doing, to face the guy who has been taking out multiple heroes on his own. Wow. You're supposed to be smart, Iida. This is a terrible idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Ok so Gran Torino imposed the 3 minute timer as a test. and Deku is doing very well. I am pleased

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Seems like there might be done parallels between Shiragaki and All Might, and Bakugou and Deku. I wonder if Shiragaki knows that All Might was born with a quirk?

Cause if it's just about heroes sometimes being jerks then Endeavour would make a better target.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Begemot posted:

Seems like there might be done parallels between Shiragaki and All Might, and Bakugou and Deku. I wonder if Shiragaki knows that All Might was born with a quirk?

Cause if it's just about heroes sometimes being jerks then Endeavour would make a better target.

All Might is the "Symbol of Peace", he's symbolic of everything about the age of heroes, and is a nigh-unstoppable force crushing anything that opposes him. The specifics of his history or even what he himself is actually like don't matter, it's what he represents that fills Shigaraki (and also Stain) with loathing.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Stain is so loving 90s it's unreal.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Prison Warden posted:

Stain is so loving 90s it's unreal.
He's very Spawn-ish.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Fabricated posted:

He's very Spawn-ish.

I'm also reminded of Maxx and the original TMNT (and by extension Frank Millar's Daredevil)

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Prison Warden posted:

I'm also reminded of Maxx and the original TMNT (and by extension Frank Millar's Daredevil)

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Yeah, but with the author's type of pacing it definitely is dragging on a bit. We've had basically 3 chapters devoted to Midoriya marginally getting slightly better at his powers and a little background stuff with the villains. Obviously he's trying to build it up a bit but if there's another chapter or two like this before the next big event starts playing out it's gonna have some serious pacing issues.

I think at this point Midoriya's training regime has been pretty well established and hope we don't need to actually see any more of it. I'm hoping the next few chapters focus on Iida and his foolhardy vigilante shenanigans and when it comes back to Midoriya he's got what he needs from Gran Torino and we can move on.

MrCinos
Dec 20, 2011
I wonder how much Stain would mess up IIda. This chapter made me think that Stain, just like in this chapter, will see in Iida a potential to be someone who goes against society's norm and rules. So he will spare and spur Iida on giving even more fuel for more twisted sense of vengeance.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

MrCinos posted:

I wonder how much Stain would mess up IIda. This chapter made me think that Stain, just like in this chapter, will see in Iida a potential to be someone who goes against society's norm and rules. So he will spare and spur Iida on giving even more fuel for more twisted sense of vengeance.

I just want Iida to go full Flash powers before he makes his turn.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

MrCinos posted:

Stain's thing is that he hates anyone without a real creed or purpose, hero or villain. He wasn't too impressed with Shigaraki until the end because it seemed like he was just for loving stuff up for the sake of loving it up. He hates heroes because they view it as a day job.

Iida shows up all, "I'm Iida Tenya, you killed my brother, prepare to die." and I could see him sparing him.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Stain apparently kills/injures four heroes before moving on. So I guess that's some death symbolism there.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm really curious about how Iida is going to get out of his coming confrontation with Stain without some sort of terrible injuries. No one else should know what he's doing, so I doubt he'll receive any help (and there's no way he'll actually win). The only thing I can think of is what other posters have said about Stain sparing Iida for some reason.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Do we know how far away Deku and Gran Torino are from where Iida is? I could see Iida getting beat up badly but not permanently before Deku shows off his new skills to save him.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Gyges posted:

Do we know how far away Deku and Gran Torino are from where Iida is? I could see Iida getting beat up badly but not permanently before Deku shows off his new skills to save him.

Iida is still in Tokyo and Gran Torino's house is 45 minutes away by bullet train, so like on the other side of the country. I doubt they'll come to his rescue.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
So I think Gran Torino may actually have some kind of boost (rocket, air pressure, hard to say) that he can unleash from his feet - and focused by his boots, since the series makes a point on integrating the mechanics of quirks into suit functionality. Notice the dots on the bottom of his boots - look like some kind of vent to me.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

stain looks 90s image comics anti-hero as loving hell

i might be let down if he doesn't end up being some sort of warped "good" guy

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

NecroMonster posted:

stain looks 90s image comics anti-hero as loving hell

i might be let down if he doesn't end up being some sort of warped "good" guy

He just has convictions outside of being an rear end in a top hat for the sake of it or being a petty thief. I could imagine him sparing Iida if he felt Iida had a strong conviction outside the norms of society- even if it was to kill him. Stain probably would dig vigilantes since they have nothing to gain from it in this world.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Seems like Stain just wants people to mean whatever it is they do, hero or villain. He doesn't seem like he'd have an issue with heroes who actually just want to protect people, but heroes who do it just for a career piss him off.

The question is, where Saitama's "it's a hobby" stance fits in his worldview? :v:

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
"Are you loving kidding me? Get the gently caress out and die."

Shigaraki hahahaha you are the best villain ever.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Shugojin posted:

Seems like Stain just wants people to mean whatever it is they do, hero or villain. He doesn't seem like he'd have an issue with heroes who actually just want to protect people, but heroes who do it just for a career piss him off.

The question is, where Saitama's "it's a hobby" stance fits in his worldview? :v:

Stain would absolutely try to kill Saitama over such a half-assed attitude. It wouldn't work, mind, but he'd try.

But that's a different series with a very different tone to its writing.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Stain didn't say anything about All Might, right? Since he would be the kinda guy that'd fit his requirements.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Kyte posted:

Stain didn't say anything about All Might, right? Since he would be the kinda guy that'd fit his requirements.
I dunno if the translation was correct or not but in Stain's first appearance he rants about all these fake heroes and that the only one worthy to take him down would be All Might.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

really dig all the characters diverse motivations in this series :allears:

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
What do you think his quirk is? I'm thinking it's not general power nullification since he let his knife get disintegrated (and the author seems to be avoiding duplicating powers too much). So maybe something more specific that happens to prevent portals from being opened near him.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Fabricated posted:

I dunno if the translation was correct or not but in Stain's first appearance he rants about all these fake heroes and that the only one worthy to take him down would be All Might.

Right, I forgot about that.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Dr_Amazing posted:

What do you think his quirk is? I'm thinking it's not general power nullification since he let his knife get disintegrated (and the author seems to be avoiding duplicating powers too much). So maybe something more specific that happens to prevent portals from being opened near him.

mist guy said he couldn't move, so it's probably some kind of paralysis.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Inflammatory posted:

mist guy said he couldn't move, so it's probably some kind of paralysis.

I misread it before. I thought he was saying he couldn't move Stain to somewhere else..

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

really dig all the characters diverse motivations in this series :allears:
Motivations/Beliefs towards heroism or villainy seems to be one of the central focuses of the entire manga.

The main cast kinda emphasizes many different views/motivations towards heroism, with Midoriya's basically being the purest (heroism is what you do and not who you are, utter selflessness borne from deep empathy, a pure instinct to do what's right, etc).

What's cool is that Horikoshi doesn't really portray any of these are being perfect; All Might and Midoriya's heroism is pure as it gets but it's a single-minded march to an early and tragic death. Midoriya realized he needs to stop wastefully shortening his lifespan with how he uses his power, but I think it'll become clear that the price of his and All Might's brand of heroism is personal pain, suffering, and death for the sake of others.

Iida's loyalty to his family was his strength, but it has brought him to where he is now.

God only knows what'll happen to Uraraka because if she wasn't the female lead her motivation is deathflaggy as gently caress and I'd call her for the first casualty in the class.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 4, 2015

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
It would take an insane level of balls to kill off the leading lady in a shonen manga. That would absolutely never ever happen.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

DrSunshine posted:

It would take an insane level of balls to kill off the leading lady in a shonen manga. That would absolutely never ever happen.
That's why she's lucky she's the female lead.

That whole cliche with her being the kid who wants to do whatever it takes to make her parents happy, not understanding that her personal happiness and success is what her parents REALLY want is tantamount to putting a loaded gun in your mouth in fiction.

That character usually loving dies because it's absolutely the most tragic thing that can happen.

It has basically happened to Iida; his brother was his idol and his goal and whack; crippled by a badguy. Now Iida is on the way to destroying everything he has built up, in a way that his brother probably wouldn't approve...and likely for nothing in the end.

Midoriya is GOING to have to watch All Might die because of the end results of his perfectly altruistic heroism- there's no one who reads this thing who thinks for a second All Might won't die; we're just haggling over when.

The entire main cast is likely going to get a turn in the barrel; it's just a matter if Horikoshi has the balls to kill any of them.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 4, 2015

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Fabricated posted:

That's why she's lucky she's the female lead.

That whole cliche with her being the kid who wants to do whatever it takes to make her parents happy, not understanding that her personal happiness and success is what her parents REALLY want is tantamount to putting a loaded gun in your mouth in fiction.

That character usually loving dies because it's absolutely the most tragic thing that can happen.

It has basically happened to Iida; his brother was his idol and his goal and whack; crippled by a badguy. Now Iida is on the way to destroying everything he has built up, in a way that his brother probably wouldn't approve...and likely for nothing in the end.

Midoriya is GOING to have to watch All Might die because of the end results of his perfectly altruistic heroism- there's no one who reads this thing who thinks for a second All Might won't die; we're just haggling over when.

The entire main cast is likely going to get a turn in the barrel; it's just a matter if Horikoshi has the balls to kill any of them.

It's really interesting how One for All reflects the theme of altruistic heroism, given how it seems to kill the host once the torch is passed. Or, more likely, its absence kills them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This chapter wasn't exactly bad, but it was really boring; I don't think anything new happened. I want to watch Midoriya do a real fight with his new-found abilities. It was also kind of hard to get a feel for how fast/strong 5% of One for All is making him in this chapter. Since he grazed Gran Torino I'm guessing that he was actually moving a lot faster than it looked like he was moving.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Mr. Fowl posted:

It's really interesting how One for All reflects the theme of altruistic heroism, given how it seems to kill the host once the torch is passed. Or, more likely, its absence kills them.

I think it's probably because the quirk itself will end up being the life/energy of the past users. There's a serious problem if there's only been 6 generations or so of people with quirks yet this thing has passed something like 8 people. If it wasn't there since the very first glowing baby that means it's probably only had 4-5 generations to get to this point. That would mean the people who previously had it had their lives cut short by up to as much as 50%; All Might looks like he might be middle or late 40's at this point since he went to school with Endeavor, and that guy has a 24 year old daughter. He's only had this quirk since he was in his teens, so 20-30 years or so of having it and he's already dying from it.

I don't think it's so much altruistic heroism, but something that stacks the quirks and energy/life of the last users to pass on to the next before the user burns out hardcore and dies from over exertion (like Nomu going braindead from being loaded up on too many quirks).

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
20-30 years and some really horrific injuries. I feel like the really horrific injuries part is what's cutting All Might so short, and would go so far as to say that it's more likely than not also what got rid of most of his predecessors.

FH_Meta fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jul 4, 2015

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Volume 4's design omake was just released.

If you've missed any of these, here's the first, second, and third. Interesting stuff.

Buzzsaw Roomba fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 5, 2015

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Fabricated posted:

And is this one when Facepalm-man talks about how he wan't to kill All Might Stain says their goals are completely opposite.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Shieldhill posted:

Volume 4's design omake was just released.

If you've missed any of these, here's the first, second, and third. Interesting stuff.

I know this has been commented on before, but I feel like this particular design omake cements the point: Horikoshi is actually really good with people's proportions, especially female characters (compared to most of the industry anyway). Its weird and subtle, but I think a key difference is that he seems to approach upper body structure kind of like a trapezoid - ie, if they narrow anywhere, its just under the upper torso, and the body only ever gets wider from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Astro Nut posted:

I know this has been commented on before, but I feel like this particular design omake cements the point: Horikoshi is actually really good with people's proportions, especially female characters (compared to most of the industry anyway). Its weird and subtle, but I think a key difference is that he seems to approach upper body structure kind of like a trapezoid - ie, if they narrow anywhere, its just under the upper torso, and the body only ever gets wider from there.

No you're right, I've noticed this too. It's not something you often see, but he just draws people looking very solid and realistic. The dude has a great foundation.