Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Pellisworth posted:

I think you missed the schematic, as I recall it's not on the corpse of the wyvern at all, there are a bunch of chests in the tower. Standing across from the tower where you fight the wyvern, cross the bridge and there's a ladder immediately to your right. Climb it and the schematics are in a chest there. If your quest log didn't update you didn't actually find the schematics.

As I recall this is correct. Also I was able to beat that Wyvern at level 7 or so in that room because it had problems turning around in cramped quarters. It took a long time, but i just stayed behind it as much as possible, rolling out and popping Quen and using potions and healing items when he managed to bite me, then rolling back into position behind him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Yeah I specifically remember falling to my death a couple times hopping all over that tower trying to find the goddamn schematic.

A couple tips for using the minimap:

Maybe I'm a dummy but didn't realize until about a quarter the way through the game that the little red triangles on map markers are showing you relative elevation, that the object is up/down relative to Geralt.

Under options you can toggle to highlight interactions for Witcher senses on the minimap, so you'll get red magnifying glasses on the minimap making Witcher sleuthing a little easier.

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?
Just recently finished the game, I never played the other 2 but got it based on SA praise, and it may be my new favorite game of all time, just really really well done in my opinion. I am a big Dragon Age fan and I hope Bioware is taking some notes on Wild Hunt because as someone in the thread said it just shits all over Inquisition, and I liked Inquisition.

Also this:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

DotyManX posted:

Just recently finished the game, I never played the other 2 but got it based on SA praise, and it may be my new favorite game of all time, just really really well done in my opinion. I am a big Dragon Age fan and I hope Bioware is taking some notes on Wild Hunt because as someone in the thread said it just shits all over Inquisition, and I liked Inquisition.

Also this:

What about it? I recognise the scene but I don't see what you're pointing out!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

DotyManX posted:

I liked Inquisition as well but found lots and lots of flaws in it. I barely found any in Witcher 3 that weren't patched or intrinsic to what made the rest of the game great. There are little issues here and there still poking around, but overall Wild Hunt deserves the GOTY status some tried to hand DA:I (except they came out during different years, but whatever)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Witcher 3 gets points for all the weird quests which really reflect the unique setting very well.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
The inventory system in W3 is badly in need of an overhaul, the level and loot progression are kinda weird, and the combat could probably use some tweaking. That's all stuff that should be mostly fixed in patches, mods, Enhanced Edition--the actual meat of the game is loving fantastic and it doesn't even compare to DA:I in my book.

I enjoyed the character interactions and dialogue in DA:I and I'd say W3 is of pretty similar quality in that regard, though Witcher does the best world-building I've ever seen. The actual gameplay of Inquisition was basically a lovely MMO and I found it a slog much of the time. Compare to Wild Hunt which I gleefully sunk 100+ hours into and am torn as to whether to wait until expansions to replay it or not.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Pellisworth posted:

I enjoyed the character interactions and dialogue in DA:I and I'd say W3 is of pretty similar quality in that regard, though Witcher does the best world-building I've ever seen. The actual gameplay of Inquisition was basically a lovely MMO and I found it a slog much of the time. Compare to Wild Hunt which I gleefully sunk 100+ hours into and am torn as to whether to wait until expansions to replay it or not.

As I said earlier in the thread when people were saying that DA:I had too many fetch quests and the main story wasn't long enough I figured that they were just being too harsh on the game. After all it's a lot of work.

Then Witcher 3 came out and floored me. It makes DA:I look lazy as all gently caress.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Yeah they're kind of on opposite ends of the spectrum in that regard. Wild Hunt has fantastic, immersive world-building and writing that gets you invested in even minor side quests. Inquisition is MMO-style filler fetch and collect quests. I play Witcher to enjoy the dialogue, gameplay, and general experience. Inquisition wants me to get excited about grinding collection quests to unlock keep upgrades and phat loots, it's the standard MMO style generic timesinks with the promise of ~shiny purps~. Contrast to Witcher where loot doesn't matter that much and you probably have a lot more fun not sperging about gear and spec and just doing cool stuff.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

DotyManX posted:

Agreed. I enjoyed Inquisition, but think this game is substantially better.

I think part of the reason is that, I'm guessing it's in the books, Geralt, like all Witchers are despised, both for their mutation and their profession. He'll never become Nordic Jesus or the Lord Inquisitor which helps ground the story.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
CDPR also doesn't go out of their way to score points with the Tumblr crowd which helps.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
There aren't the disgusting meme manifestations of both Tumblr feminism and hypermasculinity in Witcher 3 so that's a huge bonus

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

The difficulty curve on this game's odd. I started on 3/4, and the first part was brutal. Managing health before getting sun+stars was difficult, and it took me about 30 tries to kill the golem with keira. After learning a few potions and getting better gear, the game became easier. Now I think I'm getting towards the end, upped the difficulty to Death march, and can't find a challenging fight, due to having level 3 potions and bombs, and a few alchemy upgrades.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Dominoes posted:

The difficulty curve on this game's odd. I started on 3/4, and the first part was brutal. Managing health before getting sun+stars was difficult, and it took me about 30 tries to kill the golem with keira. After learning a few potions and getting better gear, the game became easier. Now I think I'm getting towards the end, upped the difficulty to Death march, and can't find a challenging fight, due to having level 3 potions and bombs, and a few alchemy upgrades.

Yeah, game difficulty gets utterly broken once you get level 15ish. About the only thing that really gives me pause anymore is still that's 10 levels above me, and that's because I artificially can't do more than 1 point of damage to them per attack.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
I am very talented and have managed to finish the game with out getting it on with either Triss or Yennnefer , despite actively trying . I think I locked out of it because I spent a night with some random spy, but it could be I made some bad dialouge choices along the way. Roach is the only one that understands me :( now if I could only cure that thing from its crippling fear of wooden bridges ...

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

admataY posted:

I am very talented and have managed to finish the game with out getting it on with either Triss or Yennnefer , despite actively trying . I think I locked out of it because I spent a night with some random spy, but it could be I made some bad dialouge choices along the way. Roach is the only one that understands me :( now if I could only cure that thing from its crippling fear of wooden bridges ...

You must have hosed the dialogues with Triss and Yen. It's only the way you talk to them that locks you from one, both, or simply makes you not engage the romance paths altogether. You can mess around with named women. I've had romantic encounter with the spy you mention after confessing love to Triss and it didn't lock me.

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?

Taear posted:

What about it? I recognise the scene but I don't see what you're pointing out!

Sorry, this is my first gif, it's hard to see but I caught the guy right by a ladder so Geralt is stuck in a climbing animation so he looks like he is in a frozen prance when Yenn asks if they look like bandits

edit: easier to see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WrUS0Y8Gk8

DotyManX fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 3, 2015

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

admataY posted:

Wow that's impressive, the choices seemed pretty clear to me but if you really missed it when

Triss: Is about to leave on the boat from Novigrad to Kovir escaping with all the mages you can ask her to stay. After that you get 3 choices, either tell her you want to try again, tell her goodbye, or tell her you love her. Only the "I love you" option will make her stay and reopen your romance with her

Yennifer: After interrogating the guy's corpse in Skellige you help her find a genie. After Yen traps the genie she makes it undo the wish Geralt made to bind his and Yen's fates together. She will tell you she still feels the same way and you choose whether to tell her you love her or no longer have the same feelings for her

Or maybe you just didn't do the side quests for them in time? before you go to the Isle of Mists

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

420 Gank Mid posted:

Yennifer: After interrogating the guy's corpse in Skellige you help her find a genie. After Yen traps the genie she makes it undo the wish Geralt made to bind his and Yen's fates together. She will tell you she still feels the same way and you choose whether to tell her you love her or no longer have the same feelings for her
There's another one with Yen: Flirt with her during the beginning of the main quest in Skellige.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MoraleHazard posted:

Agreed. I enjoyed Inquisition, but think this game is substantially better.

I think part of the reason is that, I'm guessing it's in the books, Geralt, like all Witchers are despised, both for their mutation and their profession. He'll never become Nordic Jesus or the Lord Inquisitor which helps ground the story.

It also owns since it's basically a Geralt has much in common with noir characters for things has he makes money try to unfuck other peoples mistakes and also is considered a dangerous outcast by society.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

How the gently caress are you supposed to win races with bridges in them? Roach just comes to a complete stop at them, letting the opponent shoot past and win.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

What would be the best possible W1/W2 save states to import for a predominantly self-interested Geralt who is tired of your poo poo and doesn't want to be bothered?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think the biggest difference between this and Inquisition in story is that Geralt is an established character. The plot revolves around Geralt's relationships and professional life. It manages to make the "save the world" part of the quest seem relatively unimportant, because what we really care about is Geralt saving his daughter. It also provides a perfect excuse for sidequests because Geralt is a professional sidequester.

Inquisition has a more traditional character-creation system in which the PC is necessarily a pretty blank slate. The Inquisitor's backstory is rarely relevant in Inquisition whereas in Witcher 3 it is indispensable. The player doesn't have the same emotional engagement in the plot developments no matter how cool the setpieces are.

I think the most noticeable gameplay difference is in quest design. Witcher 3 has a ridiculous ton of effort even in its dumb sidequests. Would DA:I have unique voicework for the "find a goat" quest, much less make it into a funny meta-thing where Geralt gets to crack jokes as a slightly genre-aware character? Both games had a ton of "go here, kill a thing, come back" quests but Witcher 3 puts a surprising amount of effort into making these quests feel engaging with voiced one-off characters, little plot twists, and an effective if repetitive little script (detective, talk, detective, fight, talk) that gives each quest a narrative arc and switches up gameplay to keep the player from getting bored with repetitive tasks.

The Novigrad and Velen sidequests are probably the best examples because you can wander around from level 5 to 15 just doing random quests but it doesn't feel like you're wandering around slamming in sidequests. You meet new and old characters, hang out, fight people and monsters for reasons that seem compelling, scam people, break up criminal rings, solve murder mysteries, lift curses, without ever touching the main quest. And more likely you will do some main quests without even really realizing it because there's such a smooth transition in quality between the bigger sidequests and story quests. Like, the Vegelbud's ball is a sidequest, Carnal Sins is a sidequest, gently caress Island is a sidequest, Morkvarg is a sidequest. There's so much effort there. And that's not counting all the random encounters in the open world.

Compare this to DA:I's Emerald Graves and Exalted Plains areas where you can do everything there is to do in those without ever feeling like you've accomplished anything. Some main story quests are great but they're all big setpieces. The quest design is just on a different level despite the mechanical similarity between "go here, kill/find a thing, come back.

The combat gameplay is different enough they don't really warrant comparison, but I think Witcher 3's is more fun and varied. The only place DA:I beats Witcher 3 is on menu interface.

Oh one other thing is the camera and interior modeling. DA: I has really huge MMO style internal areas with a far camera distance from the PC which gives everything a distinctly unreal look. You could charitably call it a "high fantasy" scale but every interior space is cavernous and has huge vertical empty space. Witcher 3 for all its annoyances with camera handles camera distance and interior sizes very differently. Witcher 3 interiors are much smaller and on a more normal scale, and the camera only zooms out for fights. (This is why it has so many issues in small interior fights.) Walking into a tavern that looks like a tavern and not a cathedral is an important visual cue for the player that this is a real place that Geralt might inhabit. It might seem unimportant but it sticks out in my memory as something that made DA: I feel "gamey" for lack of a better word. Which hurts engagement in quests I'd say, as the game reminds you you're playing an RPG every time you glance around an interior area.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 4, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Witcher 3 pretty much sets a new high water mark for quest design/writing and I struggle to think of any game that even comes close. I don't really care for the whole open world rpg genre but I loved this one, and even others I did enjoy like fallout have nothing on this.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Witcher 3 has definitely raised the bar in a lot of ways for this genre. Two essentially 'small' things stand out for me and they are the facial expressions / animations on all the characters which do so much to make the characters and stories believable and real. I mean their whole face is mobile, not just lips moving and eyes blinking, but real recognisable expressions conveying emotional states.
The other is just it being truly open world a.k.a. no loading screens. Holy moly but playing any other open world game will be frustrating now as you open a door or enter a cave and look at a loading screen for x seconds while you wait for that cell to load and become playable.

Just please sort the inventory system out!

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Dominoes posted:

I played the previous games on their hardest difficulties and did fine but have had to re-learn stuff in general for this game as I sporadically learn through trial and error (and lots of reloads). For tougher enemies or a huge swarm (I had I think 10+ pirates on my rear end that were 4 levels below me that I got owned by), I die mostly out of impatience and just plain neglect. You need discipline and maybe a little luck to not get stuck in the geometry while dodging / rolling. I think I've had more problems with the gargoyle in the same map because I had almost no room to move around and kept getting stuck. I'm advancing at a glacial pace at level 11 on my first playthrough and I'm still unable to tackle 6+ drowners of all enemies several levels below me.

Enemies you can't parry should be better communicated though. Wasn't sure why I couldn't parry those axe wielders and then I find out that you can't. The UI warns me, but I just wasn't understanding what's going on and I was just being bad at games (I generally am bad, no contest).

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
So uh... what does Blizzard actually do in this game? I tested fighting some dudes with it on, then reloaded and fought without and I didn't notice anything. Is it bugged?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Swedish Horror posted:

How the gently caress are you supposed to win races with bridges in them? Roach just comes to a complete stop at them, letting the opponent shoot past and win.

Furiously mash jump before and while going over the bridge to get Roach over his fears and then start galloping again. I guess he just doesn't recognise bridges and his cliff detection is overzealous.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Are White Orchard, the Royal Palace, Velen, Novigrad, Skellige Isles, and Kaer Morhen really the only areas in the game? Velen is gigantic but still and Skellige is pretty big, but I kinda expected more.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Buck Turgidson posted:

So uh... what does Blizzard actually do in this game? I tested fighting some dudes with it on, then reloaded and fought without and I didn't notice anything. Is it bugged?
Basic Blizzard by itself isn't particularly useful, but the later versions provide a small but noticeable bullet-time effect. Plus, Superior Blizzard makes it so that you stop draining stamina at 3 adrenaline.

cams posted:

Are White Orchard, the Royal Palace, Velen, Novigrad, Skellige Isles, and Kaer Morhen really the only areas in the game? Velen is gigantic but still and Skellige is pretty big, but I kinda expected more.
...How? I'm at like 100+ hours on this game. What other areas do you want? Its basically the biggest, most well-realized game I can think of.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

cams posted:

I'm somewhere near the 80 hour mark and I've only begun to start exhausting contracts and gwent challenges in Skellige and Velen; there's still the entire storyline waiting after those are done too.

The only map that's denser with actual worldbuilding is in Guild Wars 2 and it doesn't do believably lovely medieval. I'm not really sure how you came to that conclusion unless you walked through most of the optional content eyes glued shut.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I play Dragon Age Inquisition to play dress up simulator.

I play Witcher 3 to play dress up simulator and to absorb the fantastic writing.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
I've come to the conclusion I wish there was no minimap and that there was a compass overlay like Batman or the Elder Scrolls games. And all games like this really need an in-game breadcrumb trail for directions.

I spend an embarrassing amount of time looking at the minimap while heading towards a marker.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Helith posted:

Witcher 3 has definitely raised the bar in a lot of ways for this genre. Two essentially 'small' things stand out for me and they are the facial expressions / animations on all the characters which do so much to make the characters and stories believable and real. I mean their whole face is mobile, not just lips moving and eyes blinking, but real recognisable expressions conveying emotional states.

This is what impressed me most of all. The gestures and expressions convey emotions and meaning better than pretty much any other game I've seen. Especially between Yen and Geralt - it's a delight to see them interact.

Arglebargle III posted:

The combat gameplay is different enough they don't really warrant comparison, but I think Witcher 3's is more fun and varied. The only place DA:I beats Witcher 3 is on menu interface.

The interface of Witcher 3 isn't great and needs some work (especially filters and ways to not have to scroll through tons of stuff), but DA:I had an atrocious interface, that made everything a chore.
Diablo 3, WoW - now that's good interface design.

Spite posted:

I've come to the conclusion I wish there was no minimap and that there was a compass overlay like Batman or the Elder Scrolls games. And all games like this really need an in-game breadcrumb trail for directions.

I spend an embarrassing amount of time looking at the minimap while heading towards a marker.

You can disable them in the menus and basically play the game without any pointers, hints or maps if you want.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

What are the lowest level quests in Skellige? Trying to knock out every quest before they go grey, wondering when I need to go to Skellige to make sure.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

You can still do them if they go grey and you'll be obscenely overpowered by endgame regardless of whether you miss some tiny sidequest or not.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Lord Lambeth posted:

You can still do them if they go grey and you'll be obscenely overpowered by endgame regardless of whether you miss some tiny sidequest or not.
Oh cool, thanks for answering my question!

Second question, what are the lowest level quests in Skellige? Trying to knock out every quest before they go grey, wondering when I need to go to Skellige to make sure.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

cams posted:

Oh cool, thanks for answering my question!

Second question, what are the lowest level quests in Skellige? Trying to knock out every quest before they go grey, wondering when I need to go to Skellige to make sure.

Around level 10-12.

Helith posted:

Honestly I felt the facial animation could use more work, if only because the face models are soooo loving good, head and shoulders above everything else on the market, but they still come across as kinda stiff. Like, you know how people look when yawning, right? You will never see someone's mouth go that wide in the game, nor will you see their eyebrows climb very high, nor their eyes open very wide. They did a great job making sure everything that can move on the face is movable, but the range of movement feels like it's only a quarter of what a real person's face can do. It makes everyone's emotions feel more reserved, more guarded. Still, a quarter of the emotional range of a person's face is a loving great achievement, so well done.

Half-Life 2 is still the high point in real time facial animation and lip syncing.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jul 4, 2015

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Arglebargle III posted:

Would DA:I have unique voicework for the "find a goat" quest, much less make it into a funny meta-thing where Geralt gets to crack jokes as a slightly genre-aware character?

Ugh now I'm sad. I just cast axii and walked the goat back and Geralt didn't say poo poo the entire time the goat crawled towards the house at 1 inch a minute >=(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Honestly I felt the facial animation could use more work, if only because the face models are soooo loving good, head and shoulders above everything else on the market, but they still come across as kinda stiff. Like, you know how people look when yawning, right? You will never see someone's mouth go that wide in the game, nor will you see their eyebrows climb very high, nor their eyes open very wide. They did a great job making sure everything that can move on the face is movable, but the range of movement feels like it's only a quarter of what a real person's face can do. It makes everyone's emotions feel more reserved, more guarded. Still, a quarter of the emotional range of a person's face is a loving great achievement, so well done.

Half-Life 2 is still the high point in real time facial animation and lip syncing.
It seems you haven't played LA Noire then. I know it was only possible because they scanned the actors' faces 1:1 but it's a game where you DO see the whole face deformed when they yawn and a thousand emotions still not being shown in games all those years after the game's release. It's almost hypnotic to just watch NPCs being idle in that game.

Also despite all its flaws as a game Assassin's Creed: Unity has some very advanced facial movement, definitely competing the one in Witcher 3.