Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

The Slaughter posted:

I can't think of a single time in 6 years of aviation all around the country that I've actually been denied flight following, even in Chicago.

I've gotten "unable" before around Philly, but my impression was that they were having extreme staffing issues at the time.

I'm torn about that never again; the guy seems indignant when he was the one who made the mistake in plotting, on the other hand, saying you can't use EFBs to get legal briefings and ADS-B data being wrong seems like the FAA trying to dodge their obligations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

fordan posted:

I'm torn about that never again; the guy seems indignant when he was the one who made the mistake in plotting, on the other hand, saying you can't use EFBs to get legal briefings and ADS-B data being wrong seems like the FAA trying to dodge their obligations.

Care to wager which entity has learned from this error and will change their habits in the future? Because I have a guess.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

quote:

My pilot certificate was suspended for 30 days. I had filed a timely NASA Aviation Safety Reporting System (ASRS) report. Yet the FAA’s attorney insisted the agency would not communicate its reasons for rejecting the waiver of penalty afforded by the ASRS program.

This right here is a steaming pile of %100 pure bullshit. Sure, this guy hosed up but not willfully, and not criminally. Yet they denied his ASRS form? The whole point of the program is to get people to open up about things that we would otherwise not know about, and they're not going to open up about them if the FAA is just going to ignore the system (because :reasons:) and hit the guy with a cert suspension anyway.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Rickety Cricket posted:

98% on my CPL written. I didn't study hard enough...

jk :toot:

I can't message you, you cheap bastard!

I was going thru an old post of mine on Reddit and saw you commented on it (before I had your username tagged).

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

KodiakRS posted:

This right here is a steaming pile of %100 pure bullshit. Sure, this guy hosed up but not willfully, and not criminally. Yet they denied his ASRS form? The whole point of the program is to get people to open up about things that we would otherwise not know about, and they're not going to open up about them if the FAA is just going to ignore the system (because :reasons:) and hit the guy with a cert suspension anyway.

To be fair, there's a time and a place for an ASRS form, and "already been buzzed by F16s and violated a TFR" is not really that time. Nobody ever said you a ASRS form was a get out of jail free card for a TFR. The ASRS would be more appropriate for accidentally busting an airspace, busting an altitude or a clearance, etc.. I don't see it stopping enforcement action that's already in process because you filled out the form for 10 days confessing to something they already know about.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KodiakRS posted:

It's not a criminal case though, it's a civil license suspension.

ASRS isn't going to count after you've been "pulled over." If you can get immunity to the violation after you've already been caught then there is literally no way for anything to be enforced.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

Hauldren Collider posted:

The fact that the president can lock down entire cities from general aviation just by going there is very stupid and very wrong imo.

The FAA has considered your opinion, and would like to express its apologies that you are upset.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

hobbesmaster posted:

It's not a criminal case though, it's a civil license suspension.

ASRS isn't going to count after you've been "pulled over." If you can get immunity to the violation after you've already been caught then there is literally no way for anything to be enforced.

There is because the get out of jail function of the safety report is capped for a given timeframe.

I think this is a situation where protection should have been afforded.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

AWSEFT posted:

I can't message you, you cheap bastard!

I was going thru an old post of mine on Reddit and saw you commented on it (before I had your username tagged).

Message me on Reddit :)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

I think this is a situation where protection should have been afforded.

Agreed, especially based on the fact that the FAA's own advisory information was flawed.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Some idiots were playing with a bright green laser in the parking lot today, shining it in the general vicinity of aircraft. I yelled at them and told them to quit it, explaining that it's no joke to be blinded when flying at low level at night. To whom else should it be reported?

I assume if they hit the cockpit the flight crew will report the lasing incident; if I supply information into "the system" theoretically the FAA or NASA or FBI whomever can contact me and officially ruin these peoples' lives.

e: finally found it: https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/safety/report/laserinfo/

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Welp I'm officially ASEL Commercial Instrument. Now to start working on CFI. :toot:

In the mean time I would like to get in to ferrying planes, but have next to no idea where to start with that. I'm assuming I'll need an LLC of sorts.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

The Slaughter posted:

The ASRS would be more appropriate for accidentally busting an airspace

TFR's are a type of airspace. This guy busted a TFR. Accidentally. I think the ASRS is totally appropriate here.

hobbesmaster posted:

ASRS very much counts after you've been "pulled over." Whether or not that comes in the form of the dreaded "Possible pilot deviation" call or being intercepted by an F-16. You can only use it once every 5 years and it doesn't cover aircraft accidents so if you have a big fuckup or are consistently getting busted there's plenty of room for enforcement actions.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

To whom else should it be reported?

The police: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymFhtmPxu-k

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

What a dumbass. If you're going to be a putz and lase low-flying aircraft, what do you think is going to happen to you if one stops and slowly orbits you while you continually lase it?

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Rickety Cricket posted:

Message me on Reddit :)
That makes stalking and trolling you harder. :laugh:

e.pilot posted:

Welp I'm officially ASEL Commercial Instrument. Now to start working on CFI. :toot:

:toot:

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

AWSEFT posted:

That makes stalking and trolling you harder. :laugh:

Now I have to be on my guard

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rickety Cricket posted:

Now I have to be on my guard

URRR ONNNNNN GUUUAARRRRDDDDD

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Does anyone have any recommendations for gliding/sailplane apps on the iPad? Garmin Pilot isn't really the right tool for soaring lol.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

e.pilot posted:

URRR ONNNNNN GUUUAARRRRDDDDD

I wish I could upvote this.

Went up for the first time the other day since my IFR checkride over a month ago (was out of the country for a while).
1) It's really nice to be able to look outside again
2) I have to learn how to maneuver again. Anything greater than standard rate seemed like steep turns and set off BANK ANGLE alarms in my head

I'll be in the Arrow for the first time later next week, if we don't have more convective bullshit. Super excited :)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rickety Cricket posted:

I'll be in the Arrow for the first time later next week, if we don't have more convective bullshit. Super excited :)

Spoiler: there will be convective activity. :v:

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I finished the first block of formation flying work yesterday and got to solo again. Life is pretty good.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

That is so drat awesome. Congratulations

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

overdesigned posted:

I finished the first block of formation flying work yesterday and got to solo again. Life is pretty good.

You lucky bastard. :argh:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Multiple sources say the DOJ is formally accusing at least United and Delta of price collusion. American is declining comment on if they've been accused. Southwest has said they'll comply with any investigation.

...this being the same DOJ which approved the mergers because purging major carriers from eight to four was a fantastic idea which would result in rainbows and unicorns for the traveling public while not reducing competition at all. :downsbravo:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/01/politics/doj-subpoenas-airlines-unlawful-coordination/index.html

overdesigned posted:

That is awesome.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
So I need to get a VFR sectional chart for the Washington area but apparently the current chart expires on the 20th. How soon is the FAA going to put out next year's chart? Should I just go ahead and get it or wait for the new chart to come out? I think I need one pretty soon.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Hauldren Collider posted:

So I need to get a VFR sectional chart for the Washington area but apparently the current chart expires on the 20th. How soon is the FAA going to put out next year's chart? Should I just go ahead and get it or wait for the new chart to come out? I think I need one pretty soon.

The new chart will be available 24hrs before the expiration date of the previous chart.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Are sectionals good for an entire year?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Bob A Feet posted:

Are sectionals good for an entire year?

No, they are updated every 6 months.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Anyone have experience flying NYC/long island area? I just started taking refresher lessons out of KFRG and omg it's expensive, $170/hr 172, $70/hr instructor, a few schools have similar rates. Anything better/cheaper around? Maybe it's time to start flying 152s.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Buy your own airplane.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I don't fly that much

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Because it's expensive :science:

You know - I bet you could find a good partnership or Flying Club to get into up there! I would have done a small flying club if they had a high performance single I could have used. They are great options.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Infinotize posted:

Anyone have experience flying NYC/long island area? I just started taking refresher lessons out of KFRG and omg it's expensive, $170/hr 172, $70/hr instructor, a few schools have similar rates. Anything better/cheaper around? Maybe it's time to start flying 152s.

Good loving luck finding something reasonable. I'm right by KISP and have been itching to get some hours in. I can't find anything that's worth paying for. I refuse to rent a Warrior for the same price I paid for a Seminole 7 years ago. My wife was even encouraging me to get back into it until I told her how much it would cost just to get back up to speed with things. Thinking about moving to TX and buying our own plane.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Eeeesh. Sounds like I will just have to pay up if I want to continue. That's NY I guess. A club or partnership is a good idea, but I would want to commit to getting back into more frequent hours, which may not be possible for me right now (my current logbook page has 3 different years on it).

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Consider Flight SImulator X. I basically did my instrument rating on that thing at my local aerodrome. Really saved me a ton of money but I still got to 'fly.' #flightsim is pretty active these days with a whole bunch of different simulator games.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Yeah, that's not at all the same. I'm sort of in the same situation (8 years since I flew now... wow) but I just don't have the money nor the time to indulge it as a pure hobby. I do miss it, though, even playing sims from time to time.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Pilots. Answer me this.

Let's say the vertical navigation of the GOOON3 arrival is as follows

DOOOO at FL270
YOOUU at/above FL240
HAAVE at/above FL190
STARS at/above 17000
IINNN at/above 13000
YOUUR at/above 11000
HOUSE at 10000
GOOON is a holding fix 10 miles past HOUSE with no published restriction

I clear you to "descend via the GOOON3 arrival except cross YOUUR at and maintain 11000"
the only other clearance is to hold at GOOON as published.
What altitude do you hold at?

kmcormick9 fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 6, 2015

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Hold at 11000, because in case of lost comms you're at the highest (safest?) altitude.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Butt Reactor posted:

Hold at 11000, because in case of lost comms you're at the highest (safest?) altitude.

Assuming that we're under positive control, 11000 as Butt Reactor said, seems to be right choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I also would hold at 11k.

• Locked thread