Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011
:psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
So I can kind of see what they're trying to do, all your old units are still playable with new rules, but now instead of your Empire spearmen being from Nuln or wherever, they're from whatever human shithole is whichever gay realm you decide. Similiar to the billions of planets deal 40k has. Sigmarines are still terrible though. Actually I wonder if Sigmarines can be fielded along side other "order" troops

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm serious, it's nice to see them taking this not-entirely-seriously, especially after gushing entirely straightfaced about the dumb boring Sigmarines for however many pages. The writing is still bad because they're bad writers, but at least they're being more honest with themselves about it.

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
Never owned a fantasy army, but have been interested in WFB and the mere possibility of a Total War-style WFB game for probably a decade now.

It's funny that by the time we finally see a proper video game adaptation, the original IP has basically being buried by GW in the most mind-blowing fashion.. I hope Creative Assembly's proclaimed enthusiasm carries through through, and we don't see a similarly buggy/unpolished mess as tends to come with new CA titles.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Early bugginess has pretty much always been a staple of the Total War games. They tend to be a bit of a mess when they ship, and then clean up nicely.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you expect clean releases out of total war games you're probably the type of person to be mad when a paradox game is bugged to hell at release.

it's tradition.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!
Really. Those are really cool rules

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Those are pretty excellent rules; any ruleset that encourages Skaven players to put actual rats on the playing field is a ruleset I can get behind :allears:

e: If Konrad talks back :allears:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I mean, it can seem really dumb if you're a serious Fantasy wargamer, and outright moronic if you plan to run any of it in a public store (I doubt that people in adjacent lots would like hearing WAAAGH and "For the Lady!" 24/7), but if you're playing with mates, then why not?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Mans posted:

if you expect clean releases out of total war games you're probably the type of person to be mad when a paradox game is bugged to hell at release.

it's tradition.

Which is why it's sad that people are willing to hand them money on release so they can keep doing this. CA games are meant to be bargain bin/steam sale buys. Anyone who purchases on release is just part of the problem.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jul 4, 2015

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Megasabin posted:

Which is why it's sad that people are willing to hand them money on release so they can keep doing this. CA games are meant to be bargain bin/steam sale buys. Anyone who purchases on release is just a sucker paying money to do QA work so I can enjoy the game later..

It's a valuable service.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

I mean, it can seem really dumb if you're a serious Fantasy wargamer, and outright moronic if you plan to run any of it in a public store (I doubt that people in adjacent lots would like hearing WAAAGH and "For the Lady!" 24/7), but if you're playing with mates, then why not?

As a standalone game, stuff like that is inoffensive, if a bit overly gimmicky.

Whats kind of understated here is that A. the actual gameplay is pretty shallow, with a lot of dice rolling that doesn't really add much to gameplay aside from adding the potential for one side to lose cataclysmically for no reason, and with a removal of much of the balancing mechanics with a polite suggestion to play "for fun", and B. this is a replacement for a wargame thats been around for quite a few decades and though often involving silliness and randomness, was still a wargame at heart and hadn't so far included mechanics involving doing things like giving guttural warcrys for rerolls or laying your model on top of other models to see the number of casualties (when a lot of the models are expensive handpainted things that don't like that). Its a pretty big change in playstyle for a game that demands a hundred dollar investment at the bare minimum to play.

Its pretty much the MtG Unbound rule set except imagine if they then got rid of the normal MtG ruleset. For a lot of people, having fun and having a competitive game with rules and balance are not at all mutually exclusive.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Are these things in the rule book? It just seems so bizarre.

On the other hand if PP gave me a -1 penalty every time I slapped an opponent playing Haley 2 I could get behind this.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tiler Kiwi posted:

As a standalone game, stuff like that is inoffensive, if a bit overly gimmicky.

Whats kind of understated here is that A. the actual gameplay is pretty shallow, with a lot of dice rolling that doesn't really add much to gameplay aside from adding the potential for one side to lose cataclysmically for no reason, and with a removal of much of the balancing mechanics with a polite suggestion to play "for fun", and B. this is a replacement for a wargame thats been around for quite a few decades and though often involving silliness and randomness, was still a wargame at heart and hadn't so far included mechanics involving doing things like giving guttural warcrys for rerolls or laying your model on top of other models to see the number of casualties (when a lot of the models are expensive handpainted things that don't like that). Its a pretty big change in playstyle for a game that demands a hundred dollar investment at the bare minimum to play.

Its pretty much the MtG Unbound rule set except imagine if they then got rid of the normal MtG ruleset. For a lot of people, having fun and having a competitive game with rules and balance are not at all mutually exclusive.

Fair enough; I just thought the new AoS might make for something fun and different. Then I saw just how much they're charging, and that went out the window.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I wonder if this weird new setting is why some of the best Black Library writers have left or are doing other things. Graham McNeil has gone to League of Legends and Dan Abnett hasn't produced a Warhammer book in ages, according to the Amazon store his latest book got delayed by another 5 months a few days ago.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I thought it'd be tough to make a setting less interesting than 40k but GW did it.

They also happened to make the worst set of rules i've ever read. GW games were bad, but they kept people playing with the vain hope that they might be balanced at some point. Now it's gone, and it reads like a half-baked free historicals ruleset with the utter lack of any mechanism for pick up games.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Funky Valentine posted:

I'm looking forward to assorted stories about how Games Workshop is a trash heap of a company more than the game itself tbh

Aaaaaaand delivered.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've always been of the opinion that Warhammer of any kind is best played with beer and friends, so I'm okay with these new rules.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I know a couple of Ork players who already play the game like that so they'll be stoked to be able to get bonuses out of it :v:

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
EDIT: Aww it's not real. Boo.

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 5, 2015

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Panzeh posted:

GW games were bad, but they kept people playing with the vain hope that they might be balanced at some point. Now it's gone, and it reads like a half-baked free historicals ruleset with the utter lack of any mechanism for pick up games.

Blood Bowl has legitimately great rules. Though I guess that is kind of proving your point. :v:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

a!n posted:

Blood Bowl has legitimately great rules. Though I guess that is kind of proving your point. :v:

Blood Bowl is one of GW's better games, yeah, though I think the best one was probably Epic. My problem with BB though is that it's really not well thought out, especially not the rules of the sport. Because you basically run your turn until you fail to do something, it's very very possible to lose games due to luck. It's a pretty high variance game, especially if you try to play a team that does things like pass the ball. Skilled play mitigates luck, but I've played skilled games of Blood Bowl and they tend to be very repetitive.

Also the 'sport' itself has a huge problem in that the only mandatory change of possession is halftime. There's no 4 downs or shot clock and you can block off and protect the ball carrier unlike, say, rugby. Worse, when you're in stall mode you generally have to roll less dice so you're more likely to be able to run your whole turn, while a guy trying to bust your cage and get through your other guys more often has to blow rerolls and such just to keep his turn going.

It's kinda why I like Mantic's sci-fi sports game better- there are fewer guys on the pitch and the rules are much less push-your-luck. It doesn't have mandatory possession changes, either, but the way the game works really makes it harder to stall. That being said, the game is a little bit biased against bashy teams because it's a much faster-paced, higher scoring game.

I can't blame somebody for liking it, though. If you like push-your-luck as a mechanic, it's a wonderful game, and one of the most uniquely GW games they made.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah, a lot of BB's basic appeal is that it's a game about judging when to take risks and when it's better to play it safe, and how much you can get away with doing before you start having to roll dice. That's actually an interesting form of strategy in and of itself.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
BB is all about risk management and rolling as few dice as loving possible, which is a rather stark contrast to all the other GW games and a big reason why I like it over both 40k and WHFB in terms of game design.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah a big part about BB is figuring out how to do what you want to do while rolling as few dice as possible and tilting the odds as far in your favor as you can when you do so, but ballsy desperation plays can occasionally still work through sheer luck which keeps everyone on their toes.

Dice are your enemies in BB and should be viewed with deep suspicion at all times.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cynic Jester posted:

BB is all about risk management and rolling as few dice as loving possible, which is a rather stark contrast to all the other GW games and a big reason why I like it over both 40k and WHFB in terms of game design.

The thing is, when you roll as few dice as possible, there's a ton of variance in those individual rolls. Don't get me wrong, i see the strategy in Blood Bowl, I just don't care for the resultant game when you know what you're doing.

I mean you can lose a turn by not picking up the ball with a player, which means you want to do that last, but then that severely limits the kind of wide open offense you can run.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Korgan posted:

Hahahahahahaha gently caress me, I thought Orruks was a joke.

Ogors hahahahaha
lol same

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Meta-"rules" are never a good idea, reason why Unhinged was fun to play but banned from every tournament.
Hows the guy in the wheelchair going to get his rerolls, i ask you?
Quite ableist hence problematic.
Im seeing SJWs being all over it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
SJW's don't actually play wargames though and a dude in a wheelchair is just going to have his friends make up an alternate rule on the spot so he can still do his goofy dumb poo poo. Even if they tried I'd assume companies are going to ignore them after the disaster that was sunset.

I'm sure it'll be fine.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

dogstile posted:

SJW's don't actually play wargames though and a dude in a wheelchair is just going to have his friends make up an alternate rule on the spot so he can still do his goofy dumb poo poo. Even if they tried I'd assume companies are going to ignore them after the disaster that was sunset.

I'm sure it'll be fine.

I'm fairly sure that kind of stuff is GW trying to phase out the old minis and armies without doing it explicitly. It's what GW writers call 'charm', because they're all hacks, always have been. It's taken a while for the competition to get by them, though.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Funky Valentine posted:

Aaaaaaand delivered.

people had to get bored of chewing over old news eventually

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-MzNpMD1K8

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Okay the idea of the Ultramarines running off to become Sigmarines is actually pretty funny; goddamn Ultramarines getting poo poo done.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FSk-eeGSqE

pls release TW:W soon

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Somebody needs to upgrade, that poo poo was so jerky I couldn't watch it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

Somebody needs to upgrade, that poo poo was so jerky I couldn't watch it.

Russian modders for you.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've loved WHFB since I was about 7. I honestly hope that this game + GWs batshit reboot will free the IP. I'm assuming GW still holds the trademarks on Malekith and Settra and Reikland and all, but they're not actively profiting from mini sales anymore. So especially if AoS crashes and they just become 40k: The Company, maybe this means they'll at least resign themselves to making royalties? Cmon GW, please

also, anyone who thinks these rules might be fun should experience what kind of dude actually shouts "WAAAAAAGH!" in public. the sort of person who needs wacky pantomime rules to make a game over beers with mates fun, that's the sort of person who doesn't get invited to the game over beers with mate because they're smelly, awkward, and make weird racist jokes.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Orruks?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Zzulu posted:

Orruks(™)?

fixed that for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
PCGamer magazine article from last month.

• Locked thread