Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Signal posted:

Works pretty awesome, in my experience!

Do you have any pictures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Finished off the first of two Grey Hunter units and a Wolf Lord for mongol's commission, though the bases still need to be done.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it in this thread of not, but I am willing to take up commissions for things (not just 40K). If you are interested send me a PM and I'll be happy to discuss it.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Partial Octopus posted:

Do you have any pictures?

It's basically the first few steps here:
http://www.powerfisted.com/?p=199

You can then put another coat of white over the top, but by and large you can bang your bascoat out entirely in the primer step.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 3, 2015

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Still working on base coats. On a suggestion from someone in the store I go to, I went with purple tentacles. I kind of like the way this is shaping up.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

SRM posted:

Various graffiti on it says “Crush”, “Pray to the Emperor”, “For the homeland!”, “Valhalla” and other such stuff.

More like "to pray of emperor". Google Translate is really not good. Sweet paint job though.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ensign Expendable posted:

More like "to pray of emperor". Google Translate is really not good. Sweet paint job though.
Yeah, I'll take it over nothing though. I've already gotten snarky direct messages on Dakka about the Russian being inaccurate but I'm not gonna go back and edit it.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

SRM posted:

Yeah, I'll take it over nothing though. I've already gotten snarky direct messages on Dakka about the Russian being inaccurate but I'm not gonna go back and edit it.

have a second layer of graffiti over it that corrects the grammar, like someone got mad and re-tagged it.

You don't have to edit it :v:

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Ensign Expendable posted:

That's actually perfect.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
SRM if you need future Russian sayings to paint on stuff all you need to do is say "I choose you, BULBASAUR, the worst Pokemon"

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BULBASAUR posted:

SRM if you need future Russian sayings to paint on stuff all you need to do is say "I choose you, BULBASAUR, the worst Pokemon"

I'd expect my tanks to be covered in variations of "I'm gay" and "Bulbasaur roolz"

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k
Holiday time at last. Finished off a tester from the Operation: Icestorm newbie box -

These are fun to paint, but a pain to prep. I'm not used to pewter at all.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

PierreTheMime posted:

I'm not sure if I mentioned it in this thread of not, but I am willing to take up commissions for things (not just 40K). If you are interested send me a PM and I'll be happy to discuss it.

I've added you to the list in the OP (if anyone else wants adding just PM me or post a reply!)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

OneTrueBru posted:

Holiday time at last. Finished off a tester from the Operation: Icestorm newbie box -

This is amazing

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

krushgroove posted:

I've added you to the list in the OP (if anyone else wants adding just PM me or post a reply!)

I also do commissions.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

serious gaylord posted:

I also do commissions.

added!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

krushgroove posted:

Add me as the guy that will tell you how to write stuff in Russian so you don't have to resort to Google translate.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Trigger warning: way too many :words:

There's a chance I hate this model. Like the Venom, there were dozens of bits I didn't glue to the model because they were so tiny they'd be guaranteed to snap off at some point. I wanted to leave the blade rack off it but the model would look too boring and too small of a profile. The model is tiny and the proportions don't match up with the statline. The arms are way too loving long and don't look like they can smash a tank, it does look better since I repositioned the entire model so the arms hang down.
At least it was easy to paint, I did a mid-level amount of detail on the paint.

The skin is blue-grey and the mask and weapon thingy are purple, even in natural light it doesn't translate. The tail weapon is magnetized, I may use the blast weapon just because it looks better on the model.

See how it looks like dirty rainwater fell onto the carapace and dried out? That's not my fault, this is the second time that gloss cote (by Testor's) has dissolved the newer Games Workshop washes. I really like the washes, they're easier to use than the old inks, but I'm considering robbing some homeless warhams player to get his out-of-production ink.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

SRM posted:

I'd expect my tanks to be covered in variations of "I'm gay" and "Bulbasaur roolz"

If I slip one of those in there, it would be worth it

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

PierreTheMime posted:

Finished off the first of two Grey Hunter units and a Wolf Lord for mongol's commission, though the bases still need to be done.

I am super excited! This is my first time getting commissioned work done, and PierreTheMime has been great to work with! He's provided lots of communication and WIP photos. I've like him so much, I've expanded the commission. Totally awesome dude!

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

SRM posted:

I'm not seeing the problem.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

What kind of glue should I use to glue magnets to plastic? I've been trying to glue magnets to my X-Wing bases using superglue, but it just doesn't hold up.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Geisladisk posted:

What kind of glue should I use to glue magnets to plastic? I've been trying to glue magnets to my X-Wing bases using superglue, but it just doesn't hold up.

If superglue isn't working, then your option is a 2-part epoxy. I use Araldite (come in 90 second and 5 minute working time variants) myself, but JB Weld is supposedly good too.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Geisladisk posted:

You need to drill a hole the size of the magnet and then glue it that way. Rear earth magnets are strong enough that gluing a single face isn't always enough to hold them. You need more surface area.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
I've been working on all the little detail parts of the LRDG 30-CWT I posted a while back and I thought I would do a rough dry fit tonight just to see how things are going on. Nothing here is glued or finialised. I'll attach everything last minute then do a matt varnish and final pigment weathering. I reckon I'm about 70% complete now.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Now that you've posted that in this thread it is required that it have guardsman driving it... or get looted by greenskins.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Painting some BattleTech stuff. Pretty happy with how it's turned out so far. Color balance is poo poo, so the crushed 'Mech on the base is painted in grey on green in case you can't tell offhand. The Black Knight is gold on black, with a blue canopy. I've got a pretty basic and meager attempt at lighting/shading on the glass, but it's on the other side of the mini. Next up is the rest of the base and then it gets the varnish.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
I humbly beseech this thread for advice on painting faces. Along with eyes it's very much a sore spot for me and an area I really want to improve on. I would very much like to hear and see how you guys go about it. For example any Gaylord's Primarchs have very rich and detailed faces that I at the current moment in time couldn't possibly hope to emulate.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Post 9-11 User posted:

Trigger warning: way too many :words:

There's a chance I hate this model. Like the Venom, there were dozens of bits I didn't glue to the model because they were so tiny they'd be guaranteed to snap off at some point. I wanted to leave the blade rack off it but the model would look too boring and too small of a profile. The model is tiny and the proportions don't match up with the statline. The arms are way too loving long and don't look like they can smash a tank, it does look better since I repositioned the entire model so the arms hang down.
At least it was easy to paint, I did a mid-level amount of detail on the paint.

The skin is blue-grey and the mask and weapon thingy are purple, even in natural light it doesn't translate. The tail weapon is magnetized, I may use the blast weapon just because it looks better on the model.

See how it looks like dirty rainwater fell onto the carapace and dried out? That's not my fault, this is the second time that gloss cote (by Testor's) has dissolved the newer Games Workshop washes. I really like the washes, they're easier to use than the old inks, but I'm considering robbing some homeless warhams player to get his out-of-production ink.

One of my friends hates the Talos/Chronos models so he scratch-built his own by melting a bunch of army men/fleshy bits together and making a basket of blades/spikey bits to hold them and a scorpion tail.

Then again all his heavy support weapons are also pintle-mounted in the backs of ball-gagged painslaves from other armies on their hands and knees and the warriors operating them are in very suggestive positions behind them. He refers to the triggering mechanism being a 'pleasure sensor.'

So all in all far truer to Dark Eldar canon than the GW models.

The very-policy-liberal hobby manager that ran the store before they scrapped the 3 man stores loved his army/conversions but kindly requested that he not bring some of the models out when younger children were there.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

big_g posted:

I've been working on all the little detail parts of the LRDG 30-CWT I posted a while back and I thought I would do a rough dry fit tonight just to see how things are going on. Nothing here is glued or finialised. I'll attach everything last minute then do a matt varnish and final pigment weathering. I reckon I'm about 70% complete now.

Never stop posting! It looks soooo good.

Edit: will you actually do up some crew for them? I'd be interested to see how well you do people, considering how nice your machines look

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jul 4, 2015

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Throbbing blob posted:

Never stop posting! It looks soooo good.

Edit: will you actually do up some crew for them? I'd be interested to see how well you do people, considering how nice your machines look

Thanks, the kit does come with figures but in my eyes they just never look in keeping and realistic with the main model, even when the pro's do them. I have done a few with crew in the past however, so I'll see if I can dig anything out.

I don't dislike figures per say and love them in the context of wargaming, Perry Minatures, GW stuff and especially 15mm FoW, but just not in the 1:35 scale modelling game.

big_g fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 4, 2015

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Based up the Grey Hunter unit.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I need help. :negative:

I can't think of a nice scheme for the Legion half of my Hordes starter box I split with my girlfriend. She would like something that resembled Adventure Time in palette, and I wanted to do something that would contrast with my autumn-like circle half, but nothing is really coming together for me. Colder colors to contrast mine and make the set pop more on the table, but do I go with chameleon patterns with bright lateral lines? Sea-life patterns like ringed octopi? Insects? I'm stumped and don't want to continually re-strip the shredders trying to make something work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT: The Circle I'm trying to play them off of.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/r6Yd92]

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 5, 2015

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Picked up some legion for warmachine and I'm brainstorming color schemes. Also wondering what I should do for basing as I'd love to do something interesting (and hopefully practical).

E: as per the guy above me

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

w00tmonger posted:

Picked up some legion for warmachine and I'm brainstorming color schemes. Also wondering what I should do for basing as I'd love to do something interesting (and hopefully practical).

E: as per the guy above me

You can buy a big bag of frosted white sea glass at any craft store and then base snow over it to make cool giant ice pieces covered in snow.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

El Estrago Bonito posted:

You can buy a big bag of frosted white sea glass at any craft store and then base snow over it to make cool giant ice pieces covered in snow.

Coming from a very ice/winter themed Khador army in red. Would like to go somewhere different with things thematically. Good idea though, I might have to do that with some current stuff!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
It's party time! :ussr::hf::toot:

Not super happy with how the faces turned out. The crouching tanker and the one with the helmet look okay, the one with the larger cup looks like a gorilla and the accordion player looks like Odo from Star Trek. Oh well, practice makes perfect.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

OneTrueBru posted:

How the gently caress... I will never understand how to get faces to look like that

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Razzled posted:

How the gently caress... I will never understand how to get faces to look like that

I'm going with Ant-Man type technology. They start with a statue 8 feet tall then shrink it to mini size after painting.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
UK goons, when paint stripping citadel miniatures painted with citadel paints, can I dilute the Dettol, and if so, by how much? I've got a lot to strip, and I can see myself getting through a lot of Dettol otherwise...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Unless you want everything in your life to smell of dettol for a long time, really don't use it

Not sure what the current recommended thing is, but it isn't dettol