Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The_Frag_Man posted:

These guys are all meant to be high right?

Nah man, he's just got an appreciation for Japan and the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

krampster2 posted:

there's a japanese cinema thingy in my city with lots of anime and film movies but they all mostly look real funky are any of these accessible and good? pls help

http://www.qtix.com.au/goma/cult_japan

yes

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

krampster2 posted:

there's a japanese cinema thingy in my city with lots of anime and film movies but they all mostly look real funky are any of these accessible and good? pls help

All of the animated films are good ones. If you need something to start with, try Akira or Ghost in the Shell.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

lol you're from brisbane

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I will watch two more episodes of Code Geass and then the director's cut of the final Crowds episode, assuming I haven't passed out by then.

I hope Geass stops throwing a bazillion characters at me at a breakneck pace and then killing some of them off before I even know who they are.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jul 4, 2015

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

All of the animated films are good ones. If you need something to start with, try Akira or Ghost in the Shell.

Watch Nausicaa, it's good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

krampster2 posted:

all the ghibli stuff is obvs. pretty accessible and obvs. pretty drat good. my personal favorite is porco rosso, a movie about a mercenary pilot in the post-ww1 era. he's a pig but that's more a visual metaphor than an actual Thing, though it's commented on. it's got loads of great comedy and some really good dogfighting scenes. miyazaki loving loves planes, and you can really tell in how much attention to detail there is.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

krampster2 posted:

Holy wow, I did not know that was going on. Gonna go finally see all those Miyazaki movies I've missed, and Paprika again probably. Kind of want see what crowd In the Realm of the Senses draws though...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You should all go see Dead Leaves. It's only an hour long, and made of pure insanity.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Endorph posted:

all the ghibli stuff is obvs. pretty accessible and obvs. pretty drat good. my personal favorite is porco rosso, a movie about a mercenary pilot in the post-ww1 era. he's a pig but that's more a visual metaphor than an actual Thing, though it's commented on. it's got loads of great comedy and some really good dogfighting scenes. miyazaki loving loves planes, and you can really tell in how much attention to detail there is.

i love plane stuff too, planes frickin own perhaps i'll see that one. also the film suicide club looks cool.

Knorth posted:

Holy wow, I did not know that was going on. Gonna go finally see all those Miyazaki movies I've missed, and Paprika again probably. Kind of want see what crowd In the Realm of the Senses draws though...

yeah i only just found out about it, i'm pretty excited even though i don't know half the stuff screening. also do you know where you can park in southbank that is cheap? because i just moved here and am a senseless country lad with no idea how to navigate this metropolis and park your car and stuff

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You should all go see Dead Leaves. It's only an hour long, and made of pure insanity.
I wanted to like Dead Leaves way more than I actually ended up liking Dead Leaves.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

krampster2 posted:

i love plane stuff too, planes frickin own perhaps i'll see that one. also the film suicide club looks cool.

yeah i only just found out about it, i'm pretty excited even though i don't know half the stuff screening. also do you know where you can park in southbank that is cheap? because i just moved here and am a senseless country lad with no idea how to navigate this metropolis and park your car and stuff

Can't really help with the parking, sorry. That Southbank train stop is so close I've never actually driven.

Suicide Club IS cool. And interesting, and intensely weird.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I went to see a pop culture exhibit at once of Tokyo's art museums today: http://www.nact.jp/english/exhibitions/2015/magj/index.html

It was kind of funny reading all the descriptions about things like Utena, Aikatsu, and Higurashi in that dry academic tone.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Rodyle posted:

Paint it Black was a good episode and when BBB returns the season finale will also be good.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

.jpg posted:

Rei? he should put cardboard in the recycling

:drat:

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Meanwhile, at BONES

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

the summer thread was complaining about how that ranpo kitan detective show's first episode should have been its own arc, which was dumb as hell because its clearly setting things up for the next few episodes

i think i was that only person to even mention that, and it was more as a "people are pre-judging this, maybe partially as a result of it being only half a mystery" rather than genuinely thinking a multi-part was a bad idea.

also yeah catgirl teacher is age-inappropriate and stands out like a sore thumb. she's going to be significant somehow.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

.jpg posted:

Meanwhile, at BONES

:grin:

rvm
May 6, 2013
Re-watched Miike's 13 Assassins today. Best action movie in a very, very long time. Not sure if I can watch anything action-themed for a while, it all just seems anemic in comparison.

dogsicle posted:

also yeah catgirl teacher is age-inappropriate and stands out like a sore thumb. she's going to be significant somehow.

She's going to be a killer most likely. It's just a speculation, since the story has virtually nothing to do with the original. Also, if I'm not mistaken, that High School Level Detective is based on a recurring character in Rampo's works who is known for making brilliant deductions that turn out completely wrong.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

rvm posted:

Re-watched Miike's 13 Assassins today. Best action movie in a very, very long time. Not sure if I can watch anything action-themed for a while, it all just seems anemic in comparison.

John Wick

rvm
May 6, 2013

Gonna watch that one, thanks!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

also why dont you play in hell, the raid 2 and mad max

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Snowpiercer too

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

rvm
May 6, 2013
With 13 Assassins everything just kind of converged for me: an old school pacing, fascinating villain, great acting, absolutely amazing, seamlessly edited choreography without shaky cam bullshit. Every scene, action or otherwise, is just so full of raw energy. Miike makes a lot of lovely, forgettable movies, but when he's on top of his game, oh boy does he deliver.

Thanks for recommendations, everyone!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I have a question for you, who presumably know things about anime.

I hear that a lot of heroines, who appear to be strong, outgoing and loud to Western eyes are actually considered rude and embarassing in Japan, and you are expected to find them ridiculous instead of, you know, normal main character material; this confusion is apparantly caused by cultural differences, since Japan still has a very traditional view of gender roles and action women with can-do attitudes are not supposed to be role models but to be objects of ridicule that would never exist outside of a cartoon.

Now, to be fair my source is Tumblr, which is not known for its precision and trustworthiness, and it wasn't even from a blog that specializes in Japanese culture, so I am a little on the fence about this. How much truth there is in this statement?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i don't think that's true

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that is pretty much complete bullshit

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

or rather, it's taking something that's vaguely true (tomboyish girls are used for comic relief in japanese media more than in western media, because a girl being so loud and active *is* a little out of the norm and you can draw comedy from that) and blowing it up to a ridiculous, completely untrue extent.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Oh, those wacky orientals.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

K. Flaps posted:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Endorph posted:

or rather, it's taking something that's vaguely true (tomboyish girls are used for comic relief in japanese media more than in western media, because a girl being so loud and active *is* a little out of the norm and you can draw comedy from that) and blowing it up to a ridiculous, completely untrue extent.

Tumblr in a nutshell

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

there's a weird internet thing where people want to portray japan as being as regressive and backwards as possible and i'm pretty sure that's where that's coming from

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Don't read tumblr

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

K. Flaps posted:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

I have a question for you, who presumably know things about anime.

I hear that a lot of heroines, who appear to be strong, outgoing and loud to Western eyes are actually considered rude and embarassing in Japan, and you are expected to find them ridiculous instead of, you know, normal main character material; this confusion is apparantly caused by cultural differences, since Japan still has a very traditional view of gender roles and action women with can-do attitudes are not supposed to be role models but to be objects of ridicule that would never exist outside of a cartoon.

Now, to be fair my source is Tumblr, which is not known for its precision and trustworthiness, and it wasn't even from a blog that specializes in Japanese culture, so I am a little on the fence about this. How much truth there is in this statement?

Keep in mind that anime/manga creators are still individuals, and even if they are from another culture they still have their own views and opinions. While there certainly are manga/anime that seems to have a "stay in the kitchen" feel, there are also manga/anime that have strong outgoing women that we are clearly supposed to think of as role models. If you want anime with good female protagonists I would recommend Revolutionary Girl Utena and Mobile Police Patlabor.

Edit: Also don't read tumblr.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

K. Flaps posted:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

"I know this is completely stupid, and here are several reasons why it's completely stupid, and I don't know anything about the subject so I have no real personal opinion... I'm kind of on the fence about this."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I read something on tumblr....... best clarify with the anime forum

• Locked thread