Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
That semi-final was hard for The Spam to take, as with all true blue fans. Conspiracy against Chelsea? I don't want to suggest it, but there is a concerted effort by the football establishment to keep Chelsea down. It is a truly conservative sport, with the old guard trying their best to keep out the young guns of Chelsea and City. What else is FFP for? Guess what though. We are here to stay. Summer 2003, Mr. Abramovich buys Chelsea FC. The day football changed forever.

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

oliwan posted:

That semi-final was hard for The Spam to take, as with all true blue fans. Conspiracy against Chelsea? I don't want to suggest it, but there is a concerted effort by the football establishment to keep Chelsea down. It is a truly conservative sport, with the old guard trying their best to keep out the young guns of Chelsea and City. What else is FFP for? Guess what though. We are here to stay. Summer 2003, Mr. Abramovich buys Chelsea FC. The day football changed forever.

I can't help but read this in Ron Manager voice, mmm?

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/589041/Aston-Villa-Christian-Benteke-32-5m-Liverpool-shirt-Transfer-News-Gossip

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

:stare:

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

So glad to have Wisdom back at the club

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The new FIFA men's world rankings are a complete joke

quote:

wah wah wah history wah wah

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/07/the-new-fifa-mens-world-rankings-are-a-complete-joke

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
lol

Jaclyn Friedman is a Jewish-American feminist writer and activist from Boston, Massachusetts, best known as the co-editor (with Jessica Valenti) of Yes Means Yes: Visions of Sexual Power and a World Without Rape, the writer of What You Really Really Want: The Smart Girl’s Shame-Free Guide To Sex and Safety, a campus speaker on issues of healthy sexuality and anti-rape activism, and the founder and executive director of Women, Action & The Media.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

holy poo poo, shut down the thread this is the mecca.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I wonder what she would say to someone that told her about the USWNT's 8-1 drubbing at the hands of the U-18 boys team

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
*in tom's voice*
after this post, everyone better start calling them bad posts about soccer and men's bad posts about soccer!!!

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

TheBigAristotle posted:

I wonder what she would say to someone that told her about the USWNT's 8-1 drubbing at the hands of the U-18 boys team

Probably something about how "internalized misogyny" caused them to not realize their true womynly power or some bullshit

(Also, lol at how she previously worked with Jessica Valenti, who is loving terrible)

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

TheBigAristotle posted:

Wow this is real? I usually only joke about how the women would get drubbed by a boys u-20 squad.

Imagine if the winning womens world cup squad had to play the mens winning world cup squad? The 02 Brazil team would have won 30-0, the 14 germany squad probably 20-0, the 06 italy team would have won by 20+ goals, the '10 spain squad would have won 1-0.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Wow this is real? I usually only joke about how the women would get drubbed by a boys u-20 squad.

Imagine if the winning womens world cup squad had to play the mens winning world cup squad? The 02 Brazil team would have won 30-0, the 14 germany squad probably 20-0, the 06 italy team would have won by 20+ goals, the '10 spain squad would have won 1-0.

lol

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There used to be some tweets by USWNT players but they've since been deleted. I present this source as evidence against interest because Big Soccer loves a bit of blind patriotism

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/uswnt-vs-u-17-usmnt.1939180/

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

TheBigAristotle posted:

There used to be some tweets by USWNT players but they've since been deleted. I present this source as evidence against interest because Big Soccer loves a bit of blind patriotism

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/uswnt-vs-u-17-usmnt.1939180/

Lol

quote:

Does anyone else find it creepy that 30 year old women are playing against 14 year old boys (under 15) ???

Some of those young teenage boys are fantasizing about those women in their dreams before and after playing against them.

I just don't think this is right.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Lmao

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

:frog:

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
We only briefly touched on it, but I actually did enjoy women's soccer more than men's because there's less flopping. (Granted, the US women's team is notable as one of the high rise takers here.)

It's similar to enjoying women's NCAA basketball over all men's basketball. Men's basketball is full of flops and has completely abandoned the traveling rule.

I find it fascinating (and great) that in at least two sports the women's teams actually play the original sport better, while the men have pushed it to a much more individual oriented, drama focused spectacle. Women continue to be better team players, even in pro sports.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

The '06 women's team scrimmaged my college club team and we beat the poo poo out of them. They couldn't get out of their half and it was at least a double digit margin

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

What the gently caress is a scrimmage.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Ewar Woowar posted:

What the gently caress is a scrimmage.

Look it up

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Dunban posted:

We only briefly touched on it, but I actually did enjoy women's soccer more than men's because there's less flopping. (Granted, the US women's team is notable as one of the high rise takers here.)

It's similar to enjoying women's NCAA basketball over all men's basketball. Men's basketball is full of flops and has completely abandoned the traveling rule.

I find it fascinating (and great) that in at least two sports the women's teams actually play the original sport better, while the men have pushed it to a much more individual oriented, drama focused spectacle. Women continue to be better team players, even in pro sports.

These are honestly the worst variety of comments in regards to the WWC

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

TheBigAristotle posted:

I want to watch the USWNT play Micronesia to see what happens

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

there would be so many triangles though, man. trigonometry class up in here

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
For 16 Minutes, Carli Lloyd Was The Greatest Player Of All Time

e: my favorite part (italics are included):

"One beautiful thing about watching 24 teams engage in the world’s game over a month is the way it forces you to realize that these athletes are not like you. They’re fundamentally different, fundamentally more than you or anyone else you know, and capable of doing ethereal, miraculous things that stir the blood and burn the eyes and make you challenge your assumptions of what is physically achievable."

TheBigAristotle fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 8, 2015

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

TheBigAristotle posted:

For 16 Minutes, Carli Lloyd Was The Greatest Player Of All Time

e: my favorite part (italics are included):

"One beautiful thing about watching 24 teams engage in the world’s game over a month is the way it forces you to realize that these athletes are not like you. They’re fundamentally different, fundamentally more than you or anyone else you know, and capable of doing ethereal, miraculous things that stir the blood and burn the eyes and make you challenge your assumptions of what is physically achievable."

this is making me irrationally angry because its written with sincerity i think but literally like 2 of the top 5 players and probably the best player absolutely ever are playing now and in real competitions

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You can cleanse your palate with this thing that is also bad that you'll probably enjoy

LeBron James joins campaign to get Jordan Henderson on FIFA 16 UK cover

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Why are so many people suddenly pretending women's football is anything worthwhile?

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

jyrka posted:

Why are so many people suddenly pretending women's football is anything worthwhile?

Because the U.S. Won something.

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013

jyrka posted:

Some prominent Tottenham supporters realised they could guilt white people into watching alternative world cups and sell twice as much advertising space. Cash makes the world go round.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

The 60 yarder gave me the chills. Sometimes you see something and don’t even realize on the surface how nuts it is, but subconsciously you just know.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Wrong thread.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

As people celebrate the triumphant victory of the U.S. women's soccer team over Japan in the Women's World Cup finals (and celebrate that victory with lazily racist Pearl Harbor jokes), they're probably overlooking the weirdness of the U.S. squad's overwhelmingly white racial composition. How can a team representing one of the world's most racially diverse countries, in a sport whose stateside popularity is bostered by non-white Americans, be so white?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Here Are Some Athletes You Should Bone Instead Of Cristiano Ronaldo