Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Can you even take any provinces with the change where you can't take poo poo you can't core?

You should be able to take LO as a vassal in a no CB war, you can either wait to declare another no-cb on TO until they're small enough to vassalize in one war or expand west and tech up until they're in coring range. TO is the least time-sensitive of the three, since they're the only one that can be released from their cores. You could also carve a path through hungary and poland to them if you're playing the long game.

Mostly I'm just glad I got holy trinity in 1.12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
If you separate peace LO first to vassalize them you can take Riga or that one province of TO that borders LO. You just have to make sure you get the vassal before you make the TO peace, so ideally TO gets useless allies + LO and you declare on them with LO cobelligerent

e: this works because you can core next to a vassal

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Yashichi posted:

If you separate peace LO first to vassalize them you can take Riga or that one province of TO that borders LO. You just have to make sure you get the vassal before you make the TO peace, so ideally TO gets useless allies + LO and you declare on them with LO cobelligerent

e: this works because you can core next to a vassal

Ah. Good to know.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

Can anyone make sense of the graph on this page? http://www.eu4wiki.com/Alliance#Coalition

quantified autism

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I just started an Austria game and lost the HRE after the Burgundian Inheritance. I thought i was doing the right thing with a whole bunch of Imperial Restoration wars and releasing conquered nations, But everyone wanted Bohemia after I got the Burgundian stuff. How can I get the Emporership back?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Does developing Production in a province give trade power?

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

Does developing Production in a province give trade power?

All development gives trade power in equal amounts.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Oh, nevermind. I figured out how to see the vote criteria.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Yashichi posted:

I'm having mixed feelings about the fact that the whole of Europe is covered in Pragues and Parises in my 1.13 game

It's dumb but it works from a gameplay perspective. It also makes that HRE OPM which gets a 5/5/5 ruler early on into something worth paying attention to.

On a vaguely related note, starting as a HRE OPM vassal is a lot harder than it used to be thanks to the new small ally rules. You used to be able to extremely reliably get Austria and Hungary as BFFs as a released Aquileia, for example; now they will turn domineering on you even when you have 2 or 3 provinces so you can't rely on them after the first war.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

The ottomans learn the hard way that annexing 120 development worth of HRE land in one shot might not be a good idea. Also 1 million manpower is a lot this patch.

e: At least they kept their hre land.

I think my new goal of this campaign will be to make the ottomans a part of the hre.

Sorced fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 4, 2015

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sorced posted:

The ottomans learn the hard way that annexing 120 development worth of HRE land in one shot might not be a good idea. Also 1 million manpower is a lot this patch.

e: At least they kept their hre land.

I think my new goal of this campaign will be to make the ottomans a part of the hre.

Now I want to try to be a heathen prince in the Empire, lol. It should be possible to island hop the Mediterranean for the coring range and steal some land off of Venice when they inevitably get attacked by Ottos and get their fleet wiped by the 300 galley Ottoman deathfleet that always somehow forms by 1480.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Pellisworth posted:

The cost is the same, 10 DIP and one month conversion time per development.

CS increased coring costs a bit and literally doubled diplo-annexation costs, but culture conversion is the same. Religious conversion is a bit easier.

Edit: if you wanna sperg it,

1 basetax ~ 2.5 development

Previously 20 ADM to core per basetax, now 10 per development, so 25% higher coring costs without claims. The change in claim discount means if you factor that in, +50% coring costs.
Diplo-integration used to be 10 per basetax, now 8 per development. Fully twice as expensive to integrate.
Religious conversion difficulty used to be +0.5% per basetax, now is +0.1% per development. So conversion difficulty from province size is halved, meaning rich provinces are much easier to convert.
Culture conversion was 25 per basetax, now 10 per development. It's the same.

I'd really tweak this to make Religious a viable alternative to Humanist. One thing that definitely needs to be done is increasing conversion difficulty because +missionary strength is mostly useless, but being the "oppressive" idea group, I think culture conversion needs to be improved. Buff the end bonus to, say, -33% and/or, for more hilarity, add a modifier to culture conversion cost that's the inverse of 2x tolerance. So, say, if you have +5 tolerance in a province you get -10% culture conversion cost, if you have -1 you get +2%.

This is already a genocidal game, no reason not to take it further! :unsmigghh:

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

:stare:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Finally westernized as Ternate and I only had 3 unavoidable hits to the progress. First an event to set me back 120 points (or utterly cripple the kingdom by converting to Catholic) and two event spawned assholes who set me back 10 points a piece because I couldn't reach them in under a month. Oh, and I had the bullshit of an event spawning ten thousand noble rebels in a freaking 500 man colony.

Is there a cap on development?

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Poil posted:

Is there a cap on development?

The cost can exceed your monarch point cap, as far as I know that's the only "cap" to it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

kharaa posted:

The cost can exceed your monarch point cap, as far as I know that's the only "cap" to it.
If only there was a way to downgrade your techgroup to raise the cap. :v:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Does the cost go over your cap or does it just stop at 999? That's what I thought, at least.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Agnostalgia posted:

TO is the least time-sensitive of the three, since they're the only one that can be released from their cores. You could also carve a path through hungary and poland to them if you're playing the long game..

My friend tried to get the achievement, but took long enough that TO took the decision to form Prussia, which instantly and permanently wiped out all of their cores.

RIP

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

GreyPowerVan posted:

Does the cost go over your cap or does it just stop at 999? That's what I thought, at least.

The cost can exceed your cap.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

that's nothing

e; I intend to take it up to 200 or so eventually.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah but that Rome was done by an AI :stare:

also wow even with that development those costs for Milan are insanely low, they really did make it easier.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Another Person posted:

that's nothing

e; I intend to take it up to 200 or so eventually.

How many times did u develop?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

PrinceRandom posted:

How many times did u develop?

116 times. That Rome posted earlier developed 53 times.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

GreyjoyBastard posted:

You're overachieving, but that's fine.

Arabian Coffee as Mamluks is really easy, just smash your way to forming Arabia (only risky part is, of course, the provinces near the Ottoman border), smash your way to 50%+1 coffee production, and don't care about the long-term.

It's no fun to do things that aren't meant to last. And my nation name looks like a half-moon. :toot:

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Star posted:

It's no fun to do things that aren't meant to last. And my nation name looks like a half-moon. :toot:

It's a better a color than the ottomans

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

But indistinguishable from Persia's.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
Yeah AI OPMs seem to routinely pass 100 development by the mid 1600s. Lucky nations are also comprised entirely of 30+ development provinces with 100+ capitals.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
So if a OPM is developed 100 times will it have the power of a large nation, or are you still limited by the fact that you just have one province?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It means you're super easy to siege down but otherwise it should be pretty strong

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
I don't think it's really very possible to go over 999 to add development. I'm only at 1620 with almost 200 development on Frankfurt (my only province) and it's still dirt cheap. Once it gets more expensive I'll probably hit the next development bonus which would make it cheap once again.

I stacked up on quantity and offensive along with manpower policies and I think I have 60-70k manpower and a force limit of about 60. Pretty sure in the current game only the Ottomans have a bigger army. My main problem now is that I don't have any avenues to expand on unless I do no-CB wars, which would immediately put a coalition against me. So I'm basically sitting around hoping allies get into wars until I get imperialism.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
What's the TL;DR/getting-started-guide on development?

e: i.e. When should I look to start development, and how should I go about doing it?

I know nothing about it apart from the dev diary and wiki page. http://www.eu4wiki.com/Development

alcaras fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 4, 2015

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Back To 99 posted:

So if a OPM is developed 100 times will it have the power of a large nation, or are you still limited by the fact that you just have one province?

They have a big roadblock in manpower and reinforcement. You only have one province, so when you get routed you are unlikely to retreat to your homeland due to distance, so you will just end up in your allies land. Reinforcing is a bit slow, and so is manpower recovery. Also, if you accidentally get stackwiped, you are pretty much out of the war because it will take so long to rebuild a new one. You are a glass cannon. They will have a lot of economic power, both in trade and tax though.

Infact, I just came up with a runthrough idea. Glass Canon. OPM Papal State playthrough, just sad that you can't make the Papacy a Free City.

e; development guide - only develop farmlands or grasslands, prioritise developing tax or manpower on low value trade goods like grain or fish, prioritise production on high value goods like cloth, silk, spices, etc. Don't bother developing woods, marsh, hills or mountains, unless you are the Netherlands. As a larger nation, it is better to distribute development across your country onto the cheapest land you can develop which meets those criteria than to develop one province up. Only develop if you are ahead of time by more than 10%, and only put a max of 100 points in that tech group per year ahead.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 4, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
My general approach to development so far has been this:

-Don't bother unless you're about to hit your MP cap and don't want to tech up yet.
-Raise Admin on provinces that'll give the most return.
-Raise Production on Gold provinces (up to 10) first, they'll bring in a shitload of money.
-Raise Production in provinces with expensive goods, prioritizing trade regions that you have the most power in first.
-Raise Manpower in whichever provinces will give the most men, or if a province is at 8 or 9 development and just needs one more to get an extra building slot.

Keep in mind I tend to play giant blobs, so I'm usually busy spending my points on coring, tech, or ideas. The smaller the nation you play as and the less opportunities you have to expand the more you'll probably end up developing. Also development is pretty hard for anyone outside the European tech groups.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I did it as Bengal and the Bahmanis. Spending dip points on silk, gold is totally worth it

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

And on farmland 3.0 trade goods.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
I may have slightly too many princes

Was getting the voting streak achievement, was bored by 15 years vote cycle and decided to put most of Europe into a vassal swarm. At this point accepting a peace deal freezes my PC for 30 seconds, the vassals also pay me 750 gold monthly.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 4, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm not an HRE expert but if you get that 2nd to last reform it means you're always the emperor plus every member and future member of the HRE becomes a free vassal that doesn't cost you dip relations? Or how does it work?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Baronjutter posted:

I'm not an HRE expert but if you get that 2nd to last reform it means you're always the emperor plus every member and future member of the HRE becomes a free vassal that doesn't cost you dip relations? Or how does it work?

Yep, pretty much. Actually HRE vassals start being free when the Empire becomes a hereditary title (which is a reform or two before the princes-are-vassals reform), although you have to vassalize them yourself at that point.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I wonder if they're ever going to make that less blatantly overpowered, or make it worth actually activating the last reform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

If they refuse they leave the HRE and you get a restoration cb

• Locked thread