Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Is there an App out there that allows unlimited texting for free? I am trying to move and I have lots of stuff I want to list on Craigslist, but I don't wanna give out my own cell phone number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Fat_Cow posted:

Is there an App out there that allows unlimited texting for free? I am trying to move and I have lots of stuff I want to list on Craigslist, but I don't wanna give out my own cell phone number.

Google Voice?

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Does that go by some sort of minutes plan or something? I simply want to text.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Fat_Cow posted:

Nope, it gives you a number and everything. It gets a little dicey when you want to do MMS or use it as your main number, but I've been Cling with my GV number for years!

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

^^ EFB

Fat_Cow posted:

Google Voice is exactly what you want. You sign up with your google account, pick out a new phone number, install the app, and then you have free unlimited SMS (they use data to send/receive) on your existing phone, using the app instead of whatever app you use for your texts. You could set it up to forward to your normal number, but for your purposes, I wouldn't. Just use 2 numbers on your current phone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Anyone else on a Galaxy S5 having problems with photo orientation on Hangouts? My boyfriend's pictures keep coming in sideways and poo poo and it's frustrating. He says it's only in Hangouts and only if it's a picture taken through Hangouts. If he uses a picture that was already taken, it works fine.

A quick Google says that Google has known of this issue for months but hasn't fixed it yet...anyone come across a fix?

It doesn't even seem to be JUST Samsung devices but LG as well.

This happens when my coworker sends me pictures via Hangouts on her S5 Active. I don't know if it's married to the hardware though as she's the only one who has ever sent me a picture taken in Hangouts.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Someone talk to me about gaming controllers for Android devices (Nexus 6 and/or Galaxy Tab S 10.5, if it matters). What are the best options?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Digital Jesus posted:

Someone talk to me about gaming controllers for Android devices (Nexus 6 and/or Galaxy Tab S 10.5, if it matters). What are the best options?

You might get a better response in the Android gaming thread.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

LastInLine posted:

This happens when my coworker sends me pictures via Hangouts on her S5 Active. I don't know if it's married to the hardware though as she's the only one who has ever sent me a picture taken in Hangouts.

Another anecdote then: my wife took a series of pictures with the camera app on a s5 and sent them to me via mms but with hangouts. I use hangouts to read, and they're in the wrong orientation.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ruby idiot railed posted:

Another anecdote then: my wife took a series of pictures with the camera app on a s5 and sent them to me via mms but with hangouts. I use hangouts to read, and they're in the wrong orientation.

On my wife's G4, when she sends pictures via Hangouts data, not SMS or MMS, they often show up rotated 90 degrees for her, but come through oriented properly for me

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

revmoo posted:

Google has absolute poo poo customer service. Or, more accurately has no customer service.

I remember buying a bunch of adwords credit a while back and they double-billed me. Somehow I managed to make contact with their customer support team who flat-out refused to refund the extra charge. As in, straight-up said "No we will not be doing that"

I never received a Chromecast and spent weeks trying to get a refund from Customer Service until finally opening a credit dispute. Never again.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Digital Jesus posted:

The Shield controller, hands down.

I really wish they'd refresh the Shield handheld, it's an excellent console.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I installed 5.1 on my Turbo. The standby battery life is insane and was never like this on 4.4.4.

:eyepop:

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 4, 2015

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

ruby idiot railed posted:

Solution: Don't use Hangouts.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Hangouts always has the orientation it was taken/sent in for me on my Nexus 6 and 7 from multiple senders.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Whizbang posted:

A better solution: don't associate with Samsung-havers.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Samsung's messaging app works much better than Hangouts, as do literally all other messaging apps.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Except it doesn't work cross device or platform without having to resort to pushbullet, which isn't anywhere nearly as full featured. And it runs off the antiquated and nearly useless SMS protocol.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Red_Fred posted:

I'm thinking about buying a dual sim phone because I'm getting sick of carrying a work and personal phone around.

In order to comply with my company's policy I have to be connected to the WiFi when in the office. Is there a way to get specific apps to avoid certain WiFi networks? Or get them only to use certain networks?

Anyone know about this?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

Anyone know about this?

No, there's nothing that can do that. Either you have connectivity or you don't.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

A better solution: don't associate with Samsung-havers.
Nexus 9 has the same bug, it's Hangouts, it doesn't detect orientation properly on some devices. There's a huge thread about it on the product forums and the devs can't figure out for reasons that I cannot really fathom.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Is there any way to get Google Now to track packages if it doesn't pick up on the tracking email? I've got a package I'd like to keep tabs on and the vendor sent me an email with a tracking # and everything, but Now isn't acknowledging it. Honestly nothing I order outside of Amazon stuff gets picked up, really.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Require More Fire posted:

Is there any way to get Google Now to track packages if it doesn't pick up on the tracking email? I've got a package I'd like to keep tabs on and the vendor sent me an email with a tracking # and everything, but Now isn't acknowledging it. Honestly nothing I order outside of Amazon stuff gets picked up, really.

Search for the tracking number a couple times. Hopefully Google Now will pick it up.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Is the email it got sent to the same gmail as you're logged into your phone with? My packages always get picked up by Now

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Whizbang posted:

That's what Google suggests.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
What gets picked up seems to be a bit limited (although I'm in the UK so we're always behind on features).

Amazon & eBay seems to be about it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, hangouts is a crap shoot as to whether or not the orientation is right. I've had the same issue on my Nexus 9, Droid Turbo, and Moto X.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
I can't believe I am saying this, but I'd actually consider purchasing a BlackBerry phone in the year 2015.

And of course they go and make it AT&T only. :thumbsup:

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Did they learn nothing from the flop of the fire phone? Hope they sell unlocked too.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
Well, to be fair, how many carriers actually want to sell a BlackBerry anymore? (I like the look of it too.)

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Something is hosed, my n6 won't auto rotate. I've also noticed it's now taking pictures sideways that should be portrait. Is there any way I can force it? I downloaded an app that controls rotation and it will force rotation, but it won't rotate on its own anymore. Could this be a gyroscope problem? I've rebooted and it didn't help

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

SB35 posted:

Did they learn nothing from the flop of the fire phone? Hope they sell unlocked too.

I unlocked my ATT exclusive S6A last week. $30 bucks on one of those shady unlocking sites.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

myron cope posted:

Something is hosed, my n6 won't auto rotate. I've also noticed it's now taking pictures sideways that should be portrait. Is there any way I can force it? I downloaded an app that controls rotation and it will force rotation, but it won't rotate on its own anymore. Could this be a gyroscope problem? I've rebooted and it didn't help

You did check that auto-rotation is enabled in the notification shade, correct?

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

SB35 posted:

Even if it's unlocked, isn't getting it to work with Verizon a little wonky due to at&t phones not having all the proper radio frequencies?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

LastInLine posted:

You did check that auto-rotation is enabled in the notification shade, correct?

Yeah it's enabled. I've toggled it back and forth a few times too

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Melmac posted:

Even if it's unlocked, isn't getting it to work with Verizon a little wonky due to at&t phones not having all the proper radio frequencies?

Getting it to work with Verizon isn't going to happen at all not because of the frequencies but because Verizon will just refuse to provision it on their network.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but is it normal for Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5's to have a slightly curved screen? I've done some tests using projected graph paper and the actual image being displayed is coming out completely flat, but it looks like there's a slight convex curve in the screen.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I was at Whole Foods last night, and they had updated their credit card readers to say Android Pay instead of Google Wallet. Getting pretty pumped for a functional Android pay system - using my phone is frequently convenient, but losing all of the rewards and protections from my credit cards sucks pretty bad.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Paying with your phone is great until it doesn't work a couple times. Then you never want to bother again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Today all of a sudden started to get this issue:
Plug in headphone, music starts playing (through the speaker). All sounds play through the speaker, including the touch sounds and stuff.
Already tried restarting with and without headphones connected. Tried several headphones. The button on the headphone that came with the phone works for pausing music.
Any idea what this might be?
Moto X (2014), 5.1.1, Nexus Experience 9.6.4 ROM.