Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
If it's a patch for OG FF2-us, it only showed who can equip what. There was no power comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Suaimhneas posted:

I haven't played 14 since a couple months after launch, is there still no realistic option besides grinding fates when you're levelling any class after your first, or did they do something about that?

Aurain posted:

Last I played in 2.4, it was the same but I know that Heavensward doubled the Armoury bonus so you get +100% bonus exp per fate/quest rather than +50%.

If you tried to stick to the same levelling pattern of "just do fates 24/7" that was going on in the initial release of 2.0, I'm sorry, but that is a dumb move since S-E patched in various ways to avoid having to do that.

FATE's are still a good source of exp, but it's actually better to use it in conjunction with your challenge log (grants you bonus exp for running a certain amount of dungeons, levequests, and FATE's) and using your daily dungeon roulette. The dungeon roulette gives you a super big amount of exp for clearing a dungeon, which can be done in relatively painless time.

So yes, FATE trains are still a thing, but I have very rarely done them these days and I got all my jobs to 50 before the expansion hit. If that's all your doing, your actively making the game worse for yourself because S-E gave you various ways to avoid doing them 24/7.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Levantine posted:

I've been watching videos of Heavensward stuff and I feel like Squeenix should make an optional superboss out of the generic party of FFXIV characters, kind of like the Demifiend was in DDS. At this point the player character is so powerful there really aren't too many credible threads left. I mean, your party survives (Heavensward Lv. 60 spoilers)Knights of the goddamned Round, to the point where the boss loses his poo poo because he can't believe it. First rate god-killer.

Just have the Demifiend show up as a superboss.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Black Stones posted:

If you tried to stick to the same levelling pattern of "just do fates 24/7" that was going on in the initial release of 2.0 [cont]

Honestly, I'd forgotten those were even a thing and now you mention it, I wholly agree.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
When I played, fates gave you gently caress all xp compared to just doing a quick low-level dungeon roulette.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

The White Dragon posted:

If it's a patch for OG FF2-us, it only showed who can equip what. There was no power comparison.

Yup, also no way to check for stat changes without going through several separate menus and memorizing number changes. I forgot how unfriendly game menus used to be. Mostly its unfortunate because the hack has a poo poo load of new items. It desperately needs some documentation. For that matter, what the hell does rydias new ability do?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
So many old RPGs had secret minmaxing stat bullshit which I like.

FFIX had it, but never mentions or explains it.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Minrad posted:

Yup, also no way to check for stat changes without going through several separate menus and memorizing number changes. I forgot how unfriendly game menus used to be. Mostly its unfortunate because the hack has a poo poo load of new items. It desperately needs some documentation. For that matter, what the hell does rydias new ability do?

It has a chance of giving you a random summon that you might not have, sort of like tellah's recall

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Minrad posted:

Yup, also no way to check for stat changes without going through several separate menus and memorizing number changes. I forgot how unfriendly game menus used to be.

The worst part? FF3 already told you if a piece of equipment boosted your stats. I have no clue why they didn't do the same thing for FF4.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

pretty soft girl posted:

It has a chance of giving you a random summon that you might not have, sort of like tellah's recall

Ah, that's cool.

I like that Cecil gets some non-dark swords. He can't use dark with them, which is a nice touch. Plus the dark swords boost his wisdom enough to make his magic almost worth using.

Tellah's MP is cut in half, which I bet has gameplay and possibly story implications later.

Rydias not being troubled with magic and solely being a summoner makes more sense than her originally being able to cast all magic, which is another change I like lore-wise.

Rings being a caster shield is a pretty nice survivability boost for them. Another change I like, remembering how squishy Rydia and Rosa can be later.

I just got Edward so I'll see what exactly he does later. Right now all I'm worried about are the story changes and any dialogue theyll change.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

MotU posted:

Since you are playing it I guess I will ask: I started it and some of the menus seem a little hosed up for me? Like Namingwary's menu is off and when I buy things from the shops it doesn't say if it is better or not that current equipment (I actually cannot remember if this was in the base game but I thought it was). Is this an issue I caused with patching because I used the proper version it said in the readme

the original didnt tell u if equipment was better

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Minrad posted:

Ah, that's cool.

I like that Cecil gets some non-dark swords. He can't use dark with them, which is a nice touch. Plus the dark swords boost his wisdom enough to make his magic almost worth using.

Tellah's MP is cut in half, which I bet has gameplay and possibly story implications later.

Rydias not being troubled with magic and solely being a summoner makes more sense than her originally being able to cast all magic, which is another change I like lore-wise.

Rings being a caster shield is a pretty nice survivability boost for them. Another change I like, remembering how squishy Rydia and Rosa can be later.

I just got Edward so I'll see what exactly he does later. Right now all I'm worried about are the story changes and any dialogue theyll change.

Edward is a total mvp when you have him, his songs are excellent (full party haste, full party protect, full enemy confuse, a full party max hp% heal, all of these are free to cast), he is your sole support character so you'll need to take good care of him instead of letting him stay dead/hiding like in vanilla FF4.

in this version Baigan doesn't betray you, I was really hoping he'd join as a red mage or something because my current party after cainazzo is cid, dark knight cecil, rydia, yang, and edward, so Edward's support is getting stretched really thin

Also the new writing sticks out like a sore thumb from the original junky translation and isn't very good, but I do like what they're doing with the plot so far- it all feels plausible instead of seeming like misguided fanfiction.

pretty soft girl fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 3, 2015

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

pretty soft girl posted:

Also the new writing sticks out like a sore thumb from the original junky translation and isn't very good, but I do like what they're doing with the plot so far- it all feels plausible instead of seeming like misguided fanfiction.

Yeah I saw some changed writing and eh, I could take it or leave it. I'd rather the robotic original translation if I could? There's not much characterization aside from Rydia being a bro so it feels weird getting human sounding writing here and there.

Edwards as badass as you said. Rosa only gets haste/slow to start, and Charge instead of Aim or Pray. Yang gets chakra as a self heal, which is handy since you have no dedicated healbot. It's nice and changing the way I'd play normally, trying poo poo I wouldn't otherwise because target all black magic, mass cure, and fight spam solved everything

E: This is a pretty nice touch, since Rosa and Rydia don't know white magic, they 'assist' from the castle walls while the three dudes fight back Baron

Minera fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 5, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is there like a general main story checklist for FF14? I'm like level 6 and totally lost where the actual story missions are. Also playing as an arcanist because that's apparently the easiest solo class.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tae posted:

Is there like a general main story checklist for FF14? I'm like level 6 and totally lost where the actual story missions are. Also playing as an arcanist because that's apparently the easiest solo class.

The main quest is always the one(s) with the fanciest icon so look at your quest log. Like a meteor on fire of sorts.

I wasn't aware that you could lose your tracking of those if you still have them. You're best off going into your journal, selecting your main story quest on the list and clicking the map button. That'll show you the map you need to be in to complete it or progress it further.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
If you're ever completely lost, a quick and dirty solution is to check your Journal and go to completed quests. Scroll down to the bottom, check what the last one is, then look the name of that quest up online. That will tell you what the next quest is, and where you can initiate it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also it probably is true that arcanist is the easiest class to solo, but it's not by a very wide margin. All classes are perfectly fine solo.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Fister Roboto posted:

Also it probably is true that arcanist is the easiest class to solo, but it's not by a very wide margin. All classes are perfectly fine solo.

I think the nicest thing about Arcanist is that at level 30 it unlocks 2 jobs instead of 1. Second nicest is that Scholar is one of the best healers since it can also contribute to dps if you know what you're doing.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The best thing about being a Summoner is that when you need to do your low level roulette when you don't wanna level something, you can just swap to SCH and basically AFK it because your fairy is OP for low level healing.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

CeallaSo posted:

I think the nicest thing about Arcanist is that at level 30 it unlocks 2 jobs instead of 1. Second nicest is that Scholar is one of the best healers since it can also contribute to dps if you know what you're doing.

All healers can contribute to DPS, that's why Cleric Stance exists. Heavensward gave White Mages a giant AoE tornado in the form of Aero 3 and that poo poo sure as hell ain't for healing son. :colbert:

Also while Scholar is definitely "one of the best healers", it's a game with three (previously two) healing jobs so that applies to all of them. :v:

Tae posted:

Like others mentioned, it's the quests with a meteor-shaped circle in the log. And speaking of the main story, you should follow it pretty tightly, by which I mean don't get too sidetracked by side quests until you can no longer progress in the main quest due to being too low-level. The majority of features are unlocked via main story progression, for example mounts are available at level 20 but only if you've progressed far enough in the story.

And yeah, all classes can be soloed with so go with whatever you think sounds coolest. If you want to try something else, you have double experience gain until lvl 50 which makes it pretty easy to switch around.

Anyway, here's a good list of things that unlock at each level if you want to make sure you're not missing anything important.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

This FF4 mod may have cut magnet cave?

If so, that would make it the definitive edition of ff4

E: the crush door cave got replaced too :golfclap:

Minera fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 4, 2015

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Grinding for the 2000 maguffins needed to buy a chocobo license sucks butts.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Well, I'm just on a trial version that limits to level 20, so I can't unlock any of the cool stuff like summoner. Main story so far is a hell lot of meandering, just finished like a 15 part farm quest help and that was really boring.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Annath posted:

Grinding for the 2000 maguffins needed to buy a chocobo license sucks butts.

Do the grand company log. There's an optional dungeon that has a bunch of hunt log mobs in it, so you just run that after ifrit and kill like two other entries, boom, choco license.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
this thread is making me want to play ff14

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I thought about trying FFXIV, as well as XI, but I hate people and don't want to have to play with them.

I know MMOs don't always demand you live up to the name but how does XI and XIV handle this? I've never played an MMO in my life. Can I just go off and do my own thing and find the story or whatever?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I've only ever watched videos, and I haven't even beaten the base game, but FFXIV is worth it entirely from that one quest that has you hanging out with that foppish dude who does nothing but dance and flex

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

I thought about trying FFXIV, as well as XI, but I hate people and don't want to have to play with them.

I know MMOs don't always demand you live up to the name but how does XI and XIV handle this? I've never played an MMO in my life. Can I just go off and do my own thing and find the story or whatever?

So far up til level 13, never had to talk or join with other people. It's basically a solo version of FF12 without gambits.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Tae posted:

So far up til level 13, never had to talk or join with other people. It's basically a solo version of FF12 without gambits.

that sounds awesome tbf

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

corn in the fridge posted:

this thread is making me want to play ff14

It's a good video game.

Of course it's still also an MMO so if you can't at all stand MMOs then it's probably not going to change your mind, especially since it doesn't do anything particularly groundbreaking quest design-wise. That said it does keep sidequests fairly short, it's very rare for a quest to require killing more than 3-5 things and quest item drops are almost always 100% or at least very close to it.

Both dungeon design and story improve tremendously later on but early on both are definitely fairly generic and the base game's main story drags a fair bit up until patch 2.2 or so. Dungeons start getting more interesting at about level 30 which isn't that far in but it does require a little bit of commitment.

The various jobs are fun and there's a lot of variation between them, the music is pretty amazing and if you like your Final Fantasy then it's the most Finaliest of Fantasies with something big or small from practically every game in the series from small obscure references to full-blown features like Gold Saucer + Triple Triad or the World of Darkness dungeon.

NikkolasKing posted:

You'll have to play with people when going through Duties, meaning Dungeons, Trials (bigger events like fighting Ifrit and other Primals) and Guildhests (tutorial-like mini-missions), although since it's a bunch of random people you won't have to share childhood stories or anything and they'll vanish forever once you're done. Aside from those, for all practical purposes all quests in the game can be done solo.

However the community has always been surprisingly good and the amount of terrible assholes is weirdly low. They definitely exists but I was really surprised how rare they tend to be.

Calaveron posted:

I've only ever watched videos, and I haven't even beaten the base game, but FFXIV is worth it entirely from that one quest that has you hanging out with that foppish dude who does nothing but dance and flex

My favorite thing about the Hildibrand questline is just how exaggeratedly expressive all the characters are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbEan62z8RA

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 4, 2015

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
So I'm playing that FF4 mod. I am at the point where you lose Edward from your party and get the next character.

I'm finding it REALLY hard now that I have no one to heal. Maybe I need to grind, I haven't been doing any of that at all.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

triplexpac posted:

So I'm playing that FF4 mod. I am at the point where you lose Edward from your party and get the next character.

I'm finding it REALLY hard now that I have no one to heal. Maybe I need to grind, I haven't been doing any of that at all.

Yeah you gotta hella abuse item healing for a while. You finally get a dedicated healer shortly after defeating the last of the four fiends, who's a gigantic pain to fight (I had two dudes dedicated to throwing out potions and phoenix down), so just try and blow consumables to make it through. Also don't be afraid to just throw Cecil in the back row and use him as a dark waving debuffer and item support. Keep his Shadow gear on for wisdom if you do.

On, and a helpful trick: rubicante casts mass raise if you hit him with fire, so you only really need to keep Edge up and land Shiva between cloaks

Minera fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 4, 2015

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

triplexpac posted:

I just got to this point and I'm trying to figure out where to go next, where do you go after getting the water crystal?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

pretty soft girl posted:

I just got to this point and I'm trying to figure out where to go next, where do you go after getting the water crystal?

Eblan, there's a forest and a shoreline you can cross just near it.

More general commentary: it really does go world of ruin and open up in the underground, which is cool, but I abhor Rosa's writing. Everything else mostly fits in pretty well, feeling a little more human than the original script and writing. It also manages to somehow pull off more twists in fights and locations than loving after years did :suicide:

Minera fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 4, 2015

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Minrad posted:

Eblan, there's a forest and a shoreline you can cross just near it.

Yeah it looks like you can't cross but you can, I had to look it up as well

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Kanfy posted:

All healers can contribute to DPS, that's why Cleric Stance exists. Heavensward gave White Mages a giant AoE tornado in the form of Aero 3 and that poo poo sure as hell ain't for healing son. :colbert:

Also while Scholar is definitely "one of the best healers", it's a game with three (previously two) healing jobs so that applies to all of them. :v:

I meant that since Scholar comes out of Arcanist and is thus built on a chassis designed for DPS, it contributes to dealing damage better than White Mage. Also its healing is based around damage prevention, and it gets a little sidekick who helps pick up the healing. I know that White Mage can contribute damage, but it trades the ability to do large amounts of it for big healing numbers. And if your healer has the skill to prevent the team from ever getting so low on health that you need an enormous heal, Scholar is the better of the two for contributing damage.

Both classes are good, don't get me wrong; I play them both and enjoy it. But if you need to deal damage while also healing, Scholar is the better choice. Especially since it can also access Cleric Stance.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Not HW knowledge so it's outdated, but stance dancing WHM's Holy spamming and using their Shroud well in conjuction with heals is invaluable for time saving once you're bored of content.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

They are likely the highest dps healer now. Aero 3 and Stone 3 are really good and Aero 2 got buffed.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Yo mega64, lets play this ff4 hack :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It used to bug me to no end when we'd be doing some sort of 8 man content and the other WHM in my group would take it upon themselves to be the DPS'ing healer but wouldn't ever use Aero II, never mind keep it up.