Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skbw
Nov 3, 2011

Benagain posted:

Does anyone feel up to doing an effortpost about various types and grades of glass? I do not know much about the subject and would enjoy learning more, so I can properly mock buildings that use lovely sub par stuff.

Well, usually it's gonna be hard to see sub par glass on a building, not that there isn't any, but it is hard to differentiate the good stuff from the bad stuff.

Usually in windows one should use double pane glass (for thermal efficiency reasons), with the out-most layer being laminated glass if the window is in an easy to reach place, to be more burglary resistant.

Unless you want to use solar control glass, that reduces solar heat gain. In that case you use that pane in the outside, and a laminated pane in the inside. On windows that are out of easy reach from the outside, tempered glass can be used instead of laminated glass.

Or, if the architectural concept doesn't allow for a thick frame, like Siza Viera did in Lisbon, with the Edificios terraços de Bragança, where he had to use wood frames instead of aluminium or PVC, so as not to clash with the rest of the buildings in the street.
As wooden frames and double glass panes don't work perfectly, he used regular single pane glass, but put two windows, separated 30 cm from each other.

As for why wood and double pane glass don't mix as well, it's simple. The benefit of double glass is that by having an inert gas in between, like nitrogen or argon, whatever, it creates a break, not allowing the heat of the out-most pane of glass to transfer to the innermost as easily. But, if the frame is all in the same material, it creates a thermic bridge, heating up the inside of the building anyway. Therefore, in aluminium and PVC frames, they usually are made in two halves, connected with a strip of a different material, something hard to do in the case of wood frames.

As with everything, for PVC and aluminium, one goes to one of several suppliers, order from them in the sizes one want, and usually they come with a warranty. Due to that, it is a little bit harder now a days to do crappy windows, but still as easy to install them improperly.
Usually, most thermic bridges happen near windows, where the wall insulation ends before the window frame starts. E.T.I.C.S. type systems mitigate this problem a bit, but it is usually a trouble spot.

If you want to talk about curtain walls, well, still haven't study much about them, sorry.

As with everything, everything I said is not set in stone, it varies from country to country, and depends on the country regulations, and building traditions, and, in some parts I might be wrong.
As for using glass in a good architectural way, or in a bad one, like that tower that melted some panels of a car, well, it is complicated and a thesis by it self, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

skbw posted:

Well, usually it's gonna be hard to see sub par glass on a building, not that there isn't any, but it is hard to differentiate the good stuff from the bad stuff.

Usually in windows one should use double pane glass (for thermal efficiency reasons), with the out-most layer being laminated glass if the window is in an easy to reach place, to be more burglary resistant.

Unless you want to use solar control glass, that reduces solar heat gain. In that case you use that pane in the outside, and a laminated pane in the inside. On windows that are out of easy reach from the outside, tempered glass can be used instead of laminated glass.

Or, if the architectural concept doesn't allow for a thick frame, like Siza Viera did in Lisbon, with the Edificios terraços de Bragança, where he had to use wood frames instead of aluminium or PVC, so as not to clash with the rest of the buildings in the street.
As wooden frames and double glass panes don't work perfectly, he used regular single pane glass, but put two windows, separated 30 cm from each other.

As for why wood and double pane glass don't mix as well, it's simple. The benefit of double glass is that by having an inert gas in between, like nitrogen or argon, whatever, it creates a break, not allowing the heat of the out-most pane of glass to transfer to the innermost as easily. But, if the frame is all in the same material, it creates a thermic bridge, heating up the inside of the building anyway. Therefore, in aluminium and PVC frames, they usually are made in two halves, connected with a strip of a different material, something hard to do in the case of wood frames.

As with everything, for PVC and aluminium, one goes to one of several suppliers, order from them in the sizes one want, and usually they come with a warranty. Due to that, it is a little bit harder now a days to do crappy windows, but still as easy to install them improperly.
Usually, most thermic bridges happen near windows, where the wall insulation ends before the window frame starts. E.T.I.C.S. type systems mitigate this problem a bit, but it is usually a trouble spot.

If you want to talk about curtain walls, well, still haven't study much about them, sorry.

As with everything, everything I said is not set in stone, it varies from country to country, and depends on the country regulations, and building traditions, and, in some parts I might be wrong.
As for using glass in a good architectural way, or in a bad one, like that tower that melted some panels of a car, well, it is complicated and a thesis by it self, sorry.

Isn"t wood a good insulant? I mean compared with metals.

skbw
Nov 3, 2011

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

Yes, if you compare a cube of wood with a cube of aluminium. But, usually, a wood frame is solid, an aluminium one, being made of two parts, usually have air pockets and insulation material.

The trick is not having the same material in the outside and inside of the building, always had a gap.
If you look at this pictures https://www.google.pt/search?q=sch%...+window+section you will see the infill between the aluminium halves of the frame.

And besides, wood is better insulation than metal, but rock wool, or XPS, or any other insulation solutions, are better, but even these, need layering to work effectively.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

ghosthorse posted:

Here's some stuff from my hometown. As a kid I always thought our court house looked like where Cobra's headquarters should be:

It's like mini-brutalism!

Also our local university has a notoriously difficult-to-navigate brutalist library:

The outside plaza might be a cement hellscape in the summer (called "concrete beach") but dat interior:

1960-70 there was only one style in Canada :canada:
But real talk: I genuinely like both of these

For something actually terrible, here's the building for the university's once great business school. Y'all like cheap green glass?

And here's the original non-lovely design:

Also the interior has a lovely fireplace just like that gothic beauty in Pittsburgh:

Cozy!

For Canadian University Brutalism you really can't beat Robarts Library, the giant peacock:

overboard
Aug 26, 2009
That era of Canadian institutional architecture was such a loving brutalist wet dream. For some reason libraries got the worst of it. It would be interesting to look into whether it was intentional oneupmanship. I'm surprised no Haligoonian has posted this gem, the Killam Library at Dalhousie:

Yes, every side looks like that. It originally had an open light-well courtyard, but they covered that over at some point to make a dingy Subway-scented hell.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Canadian brutalist universities? Sure!

I went to school on planet Tollana.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jehde posted:

Until I got to the bottom, I was going, "drat, that looks like the Planet of Smug Assholes from SG:1"

I was right :)

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

stillvisions posted:

For Canadian University Brutalism you really can't beat Robarts Library, the giant peacock:

Such a beautiful monstrosity :allears:

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Jehde posted:

I just stayed at the on-campus hotel this past weekend.

The student housing looks like a dilapidated abandoned brutalist hellscape. But I really liked walking around a brutalist environment.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It's a neat place to walk around, especially when it's foggy or snowing, and/or the various trails around the campus. Living in student housing was the worst semester of my life though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jehde posted:

Also Caprica! And probably a bunch of other sci-fi.

quote:

The combination of brutalist archetecture and 'join us' works perfectly.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

ghosthorse posted:

Here's some stuff from my hometown. As a kid I always thought our court house looked like where Cobra's headquarters should be:

It's like mini-brutalism!

Also our local university has a notoriously difficult-to-navigate brutalist library:

The outside plaza might be a cement hellscape in the summer (called "concrete beach") but dat interior:

1960-70 there was only one style in Canada :canada:
But real talk: I genuinely like both of these

For something actually terrible, here's the building for the university's once great business school. Y'all like cheap green glass?

And here's the original non-lovely design:

Also the interior has a lovely fireplace just like that gothic beauty in Pittsburgh:

Cozy!

Hey I did my undergrad here!

Got any shots of the MedSci building or the alleyways between MedSci and the student center? I think those would show off the brutalism even better :v:

(can't complain too much though, UWO has a pretty drat nice campus overall)

stillvisions posted:

...and my masters here!

I actually think they're both pretty great. I think Weldon wins out though. I genuinely enjoyed studying in there. It was large, spacious, and just felt solid. Especially in the winter, I kind of enjoyed being couped up in there, seeing storms rage outside.

Cyril Sneer fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 4, 2015

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Brutalism owns. The last couple buildings are all beautiful.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
All Concrete is Beautiful

I think brutalism toes a very thin line between cool and depressing. It really needs greenery, I'm not sure it can work well in wintery places.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

definitely.

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:
necromancy:

NihilismNow posted:

I think this building is brilliant because it communicates exactly what the people inside want it to communicate.

Budapest courthouse, designed by Ybl Miklós. Sorry for the crappy screenshot, but this is a very memorable building to see in person because the architect obviously knew what his client wanted

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

It's better than metal, but the heat transfer resistance (R-value) of wood frames, studs, sheathing, etc. is a fraction of actual insulation.

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
Having skimmed this entire thread, here are my votes for the most objectively offensive buildings:

3. Nickelodeon afterbirth

dr_rat posted:

On the topic of Melbourne buildings:

2. Cube-shaped spite fence on stilts
1. The blight that killed France

Phanatic posted:

Anyone been to Chandigarh?

gently caress you, Le Corbusier. "Residential, commercial, government, whatever, just keep building these:"

It's been aptly said that "Le Corbusier was to architecture what Pol Pot was to social reform." Since his contributions to French architecture haven't seen a lot of light in this thread, let's take a look:

Bagatelle

Clichy-sous-Bois

Le Blanc-Mesnil

quote:

Anyone who could control the elevator bank (and, when that became too terrifying to use, the graffiti-covered stairwells) could hold hundreds of families ransom.

"A house is a machine for living" --Le Corbusier

Welcome to France!!!

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

finally, while looking for those photos I found an entire blog, http://www.failedarchitecture.com/

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Le Corbusier designed an arts center for Harvard. It's not an ugly place, but there's a screening room that the Harvard Film Archive uses where the screen is at like a 10-15 degree angle to the seats. You can go and watch rare prints of old movies that you'd probably not get a chance to see elsewhere, in a theater purposefully designed to gently caress up your viewing experience. Everybody ends up sitting on the left side. Form bends function over a concrete bench and goes balls-deep.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Nagato posted:

finally, while looking for those photos I found an entire blog, http://www.failedarchitecture.com/

Thanks, that looks like a nice blog to read through on a lazy Sunday.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

sinking belle posted:

Also in Almaty, this other thing. Don't know if it's part of the same complex as the one above or what.

Does anyone know why this specific light blue windowpane tinting is so popular in the former USSR?

St. Petersburg to Vladivostok, Murmansk to Baku, malls and gaudy towers always have those bright blue tinted windows.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

MikeJF posted:

But we were so close to the greatest thing ever, in 1992.

When it got old and busted and they needed to make room for the new hotness, the demolition could be staged to look like Star Trek III.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Does anyone know why this specific light blue windowpane tinting is so popular in the former USSR?

St. Petersburg to Vladivostok, Murmansk to Baku, malls and gaudy towers always have those bright blue tinted windows.

That last sentence has a killer rhythm to it.

St Petersburg to Vladivostok,
Murmansk to Baku,
Malls and gaudy towers have those
windows tinted blue

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Le Corbusier's church at Ronchamp is brilliant and I will not hear otherwise. :colbert:

Doesn't look like much, right?

Well, let's step inside, shall we? You want a real holy experience, forget those big stained glass murals of Madonnas and Jesii. This poo poo's where it's at:

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 4, 2015

Grope-A-Matic
Nov 16, 2008

sigh... you really suck at hand
to hand combat i wont lie and
this is way more challenging
then i thought it would be. to
teach you hand to hand combat,
alright i will try to teach you
some more hand to hand combat
Yeah, when Le Corbusier wasn't designing lifeless prison apartments, he actually designed some cool buildings. I happen to be fond of Villa Savoye myself (I'd post pictures but I'm posting from my phone)

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
I wish there were better pictures but the University of Guelph is home to the monstrosity that is South Residence. It's the largest residence complex in Canada, holds 1800+ students, and was designed by the same guy that designed the CN Tower.

It's hard to capture in photos but the thing is gargantuan, and even uglier in person.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/So...82ed7619e6fb8c6

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Cyril Sneer posted:

...and my masters here!

I actually think they're both pretty great. I think Weldon wins out though. I genuinely enjoyed studying in there. It was large, spacious, and just felt solid. Especially in the winter, I kind of enjoyed being couped up in there, seeing storms rage outside.

I did one masters at U of T, another at Queen's... both have the weird mix where half of the buildings are ye olde Oxford style, the rest are brutalist. Queen's also had a pretty funky library design:

It's a castle, decorative arrow slits and all.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

So the stuff outside the window has some color to it besides gray

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

ghosthorse posted:

I wish there were better pictures but the University of Guelph is home to the monstrosity that is South Residence. It's the largest residence complex in Canada, holds 1800+ students, and was designed by the same guy that designed the CN Tower.

It's hard to capture in photos but the thing is gargantuan, and even uglier in person.

I was instantly reminded of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTJQTc-TqpU

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

ghosthorse posted:

do people that design these things forget that people actually have to walk through them

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Nagato posted:

Having skimmed this entire thread, here are my votes for the most objectively offensive buildings:

3. Nickelodeon afterbirth

2. Cube-shaped spite fence on stilts

1. The blight that killed France

It's been aptly said that "Le Corbusier was to architecture what Pol Pot was to social reform." Since his contributions to French architecture haven't seen a lot of light in this thread, let's take a look:

Bagatelle

Clichy-sous-Bois

Le Blanc-Mesnil

"A house is a machine for living" --Le Corbusier

Welcome to France!!!

Fill any building with disenfranchised angry poor people and it will probably disintegrate into a Judge Dredd-like hellscape.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
The one he built in Marseille is packed full of his fan boys (including Jonathan Meades) and it looks pristine and wonderful, so you're probably right about that.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

cloudchamber posted:

The one he built in Marseille is packed full of his fan boys (including Jonathan Meades) and it looks pristine and wonderful, so you're probably right about that.

Yeah it still looks good.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Roy posted:

Fill any building with disenfranchised angry poor people and it will probably disintegrate into a Judge Dredd-like hellscape.

Towers in a park is still a stupid idea for an urban area since they are completely isolated and no economic activity other than drug dealing and benefit sponging can take place. Warehousing the poor in them is a lousy policy.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Dmitri-9 posted:

Towers in a park is still a stupid idea for an urban area since they are completely isolated and no economic activity other than drug dealing and benefit sponging can take place. Warehousing the poor in them is a lousy policy.

Warehousing the poor in anything is a lousy policy

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Yeah, le Corbusier tried to vertically replicate a city inside his Unités with street-like corridors, integrated work and living and communal spaces. Guess what features where removed in Commieblock/City of Sadness-style buildings.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
I like to post this whenever people criticize Le Corbusier

It' called The Interlace, and it's an apartment complex in Singapore. Essentially it's a deconstructed apartment block. It has some clear visual references to early post-war brutalism.

The complex has all kinds of services, several pools, stores, concierge service, a gym, common rooms, etc.

It's consistent with and obviously influenced by how Le Corbusier imagined apartment complexes could be

Le Corbusier was right.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

But the first two of Le Corbusier's plans were enclosed and look more like fortresses. The Interlace looks open and inviting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Feminition posted:

do people that design these things forget that people actually have to walk through them

Every time I see these dictator's wet dream megastructures I think how it would work for some poor bastard coming home after a long hard day at work with arms full of groceries.

Or even just the daily fifteen minute walk to get out of the place if you're one of the saps who lives right at the back. I hate it when I go to a hotel and have to walk through a bunch of featureless, identical corridors to get to my room. I couldn't live with doing that every day, except multiplied by a factor of ten.

That said, The Interlace looks like a genuinely interesting environment to live in. The monoliths are broken up and interspersed with greenery and water. You retain the most of high density but without feeling oppressed.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jul 6, 2015

• Locked thread