Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Knuc U Kinte posted:

gently caress the tackle guys in new game plus...just gently caress them in the rear end.

Random Goon posted:

"Remember, when you see the Bat, shout, and charge him. Never fails."
Motherfucker was right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Doing an Inverted Takedown of Two-Face right out the gate was both oddly satisfying and super anti-climactic.

Finally got my first game crash this evening, too :allears:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There's one mook who was in the Blackgate riots from Origins, in the Asylum during Joker Fun Time, in Arkham City, and is now trapped in Gotham with Scarecrow doing his thing.

Poor guy.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Funky Valentine posted:

There's one mook who was in the Blackgate riots from Origins, in the Asylum during Joker Fun Time, in Arkham City, and is now trapped in Gotham with Scarecrow doing his thing.

Poor guy.

My favorite part is that he was there for all 3 things and says he's never ran into Batman. To my knowledge, I've never touched that mook just to continue the streak.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I like to imagine that Bruce is basically on first-name basis with like 3/4 of the mooks in Gotham by this point.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Well, despite my initial inclination, I went ahead and 100%'d the game anyway. Maybe I was just bored? I recommend anyone who is playing through the game to pick trophies up as you come across them but skip any you get frustrated with and come back later, since a more complete grasp of the gadgets (or maybe just making sure you have them all) will help things go a lot more smoothly

Also you loving need the anti-mine disruptor upgrade for one trophy so probably should get that at some point even though it was the only time in the entire game I was like "These mines are trouble!"

I wonder if any of the DLC is going to take place post-game. I'm sure there'll be character-specific DLC with Nightwing Robin and Catwoman, but I'm curious if we'll get a more substantial epilogue featuring spooky fear effects Batman

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

redbackground posted:

Doing an Inverted Takedown of Two-Face right out the gate was both oddly satisfying and super anti-climactic.

Finally got my first game crash this evening, too :allears:

I got him with the chandelier immediately. Really expected more.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Funky Valentine posted:

Poor guy.

He lived through all four of those things and never saw Batman? He's got to be the luckiest guy in Gotham.

Y'know, criminal record aside.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

He lived through all four of those things and never saw Batman? He's got to be the luckiest guy in Gotham.

Y'know, criminal record aside.
How much of a moron does he have to be to keep getting pinched by Gotham PD, though?

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

Riddler is the real star of these games.

"Riddle me this: What's dead? YOU!"

My favourite is still "Take that, Father! I mean Batman!" :argh:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Grey Fox posted:

How much of a moron does he have to be to keep getting pinched by Gotham PD, though?

Maybe he's trying to stay until the end of his sentence and get out on good behavior. Thug logic :downs:

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I love the Riddler's reaction when you get the voice clip of him and start using it to solve puzzles.
Ha, I kind of spoiled that gadget for myself. I found a really simple "make robot walk onto question mark" trophy somewhere and kept taking down and restarting the robot until he was standing on the question mark not facing me. Riddler's response was something like "What? Why are they responding to your commands!?" so I knew I would be able to control them eventually.

SonicRulez posted:

My favorite part is that he was there for all 3 things and says he's never ran into Batman. To my knowledge, I've never touched that mook just to continue the streak.
Conversely, if you hear the guy saying "What, you're afraid to say his name? HEY BATMAN! See? Nothing!" you must find that fucker and take him out immediately.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
What are the red batman head logo things in AR challenges for? Just bragging rights?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

OnimaruXLR posted:

I wonder if any of the DLC is going to take place post-game. I'm sure there'll be character-specific DLC with Nightwing Robin and Catwoman, but I'm curious if we'll get a more substantial epilogue featuring spooky fear effects Batman

The Red Hood DLC is post-game so I wouldn't be surprised if we get more down the line

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Finished the game today(except for like ~80 riddles, I just looked up the ending of the Riddler quest and the true ending on Youtube). Probably my least favourite Batman game so far but still pretty good.

Not sure what to think about the true ending though. Is there residual fear toxin in Gotham that Batman is taking advantage of? Is he using the real deal? Isn't it kinda extremely dangerous and could easily end up killing people? How is everyone in Gotham gullible enough to not think that Batman could fake his death?

Also I really love Catwoman's voice actor and would totally play a game based around her.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

plape tickler posted:

What are the red batman head logo things in AR challenges for? Just bragging rights?

They're so that the leaderboards have a way to specify past the 3 star requirement, since ranking people based on how many stars they got wouldn't work.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Also you loving need the anti-mine disruptor upgrade for one trophy so probably should get that at some point even though it was the only time in the entire game I was like "These mines are trouble!"

It's usually not so much "these mines are trouble!" as "Imma gently caress these guys up with their own mines!"

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Reo posted:

Ha, I kind of spoiled that gadget for myself. I found a really simple "make robot walk onto question mark" trophy somewhere and kept taking down and restarting the robot until he was standing on the question mark not facing me. Riddler's response was something like "What? Why are they responding to your commands!?" so I knew I would be able to control them eventually.

I pulled off the one by the Ferris Wheel without the upgrade. I never even considered that we would eventually get to control them. I died so many times. Felt like a jackass once I got the gadget.

Talking about Riddler and the goons reminds me of how much I love the dialogue in this game. It hasn't got a perfect script, but they managed to get the I AM BATMAN in, so how could you not be pleased? They built to that for literally 4 games. I'm also a fan of "Say hi to Joker for me." even if there's literally no chance the person died.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So was i the only person who refused to finish the Joker fight? I figured doing it would have led to an ending where Joker takes complete control.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fulchrum posted:

So was i the only person who refused to finish the Joker fight? I figured doing it would have led to an ending where Joker takes complete control.

You're not the only one, no. When the X - KILL JOKER prompt came up I was like "NO BATMAN DON'T DO IT!! :stonk:" Not because I thought it'd lead to a bad ending or anything, but because of the implications! Unfortunately after like a minute of sitting there it was obvious they weren't gonna give me a choice.

edit: Speaking of the ending, I absolutely love that Scarecrow's masterstroke was gonna be revealing to the world that Batman was Bruce Wayne, and then when it actually finally happens... nobody really even gives a poo poo. Like, the most you ever get out of it from the other villains is "Bruce Wayne? Lol really? Yeah uh alright whatever anyway about those riddler trophies." Two-Face even tells Batman he knows how he feels and it's a little bit heartwarming. And the good guys think he's even more of a hero than he was before!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 4, 2015

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

RatHat posted:

Not sure what to think about the true ending though. Is there residual fear toxin in Gotham that Batman is taking advantage of? Is he using the real deal? Isn't it kinda extremely dangerous and could easily end up killing people? How is everyone in Gotham gullible enough to not think that Batman could fake his death?

Am i the only person that figured that's Jason, using leftover fear toxin, 3 billion dollars, the established Arkham Knight identity and his lack of a life to carry on the Batman identity?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Fulchrum posted:

Am i the only person that figured that's Jason, using leftover fear toxin, 3 billion dollars, the established Arkham Knight identity and his lack of a life to carry on the Batman identity?

I thought he was doing his Red Hood thing now. I don't think Batman would allow Jason to protect Gotham as a killing vigilante either.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fulchrum posted:

I assumed it was Azrael since the burning bat symbol thing was his calling card in the game and the whole "YES CLONE OF ME YOU MAY VERY WELL BE MY SUCCESSOR SOME DAY IF IT COMES TO BE NECESSARY HMMMM" spiel from Batman re: his sidequest.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

RatHat posted:

I thought he was doing his Red Hood thing now. I don't think Batman would allow Jason to protect Gotham as a killing vigilante either.

This is three years later - I assume the Red Hood stuff gets old

And you're assuming that he would continue killing as Batman, and that the explosion wasn't genuine

spiff_dedalus
Jul 15, 2004
The best-laid plans of mice and men go oft awry.

Cat Machine posted:

I can't believe the tag-team predator mode was only used once in the entire game. It was a ton of fun. I would have liked a lot more Bat-Family gameplay across the board.

Especially when one of the final game trailers posted on YouTube was specifically about this exact feature (though, rewatching it, it's clear that the segments shown are really just from the few missions we actually got).

I probably shouldn't bitch too much. As excited as I was to play a game that seemed like "Finally, a foe that Batman simply can't overcome without all of his allies standing (and sitting) by his side", it's still pretty great that Batman spends a lot of the game taking on a three billion dollar army by himself (and, as I said before, I'm kinda hoping the DLC makes up for the parts of the game that feel like they're missing).

ImpAtom posted:

The best moments of the game are the 'dungeons' I think. The interior sequences that are most like Asylum where the Batmobile is either discarded or used as a walking gadget instead. Stuff like the movie studio or the airships are just plain more interesting and fun than gliding around the city blowing up tanks, even when it comes to collecting Riddler trophies. I noticed that when I was going for the trophies the ones I'd already gotten were almost exclusively the ones in those areas.

While it's not that big a deal where you put the combat sections, I think putting so many of the predator sections outside was a poor decision. It benefits both tone and gameplay when you're stalking enemies inside increasingly confined/inconvenient spaces (City did this really well, especially toward the end; the Freeze fight everyone loves is exactly this). Knight also ended up trivializing a lot of the predator rooms with the sheer number of ways for you to gently caress with the enemies. Drones? Repeatable optic hacks, or set the drone to explode when it spots you, or set the controller to shock the enemy when it spots you, or hack the controller and use the drone to take out their own troops... Armed gunmen all milling around together? Wait for an opening, then Fear takedown the whole group without a problem. Even the minigun brutes are a joke when you can just voice box them near an environmental takedown and knock them out instantly. Medics were a creative idea to make maps more interesting, but then you gain the ability to sabotage their gear and knock them out if they ever try to help anyone. Shoot them once, and they'll do all the work of taking themselves out for you.

It's not all bad, obviously. It lets you be creative, rewards tactical planning, and the predator challenges inherently limit your options when going for stars, but I think it's weird that they seemed to up the difficulty of combat (including removing things like bat swarms spamming), while simultaneously making most predator sections a joke.

spiff_dedalus
Jul 15, 2004
The best-laid plans of mice and men go oft awry.

CJacobs posted:

edit: Speaking of the ending, I absolutely love that Scarecrow's masterstroke was gonna be revealing to the world that Batman was Bruce Wayne, and then when it actually finally happens... nobody really even gives a poo poo. Like, the most you ever get out of it from the other villains is "Bruce Wayne? Lol really? Yeah uh alright whatever anyway about those riddler trophies." Two-Face even tells Batman he knows how he feels and it's a little bit heartwarming. And the good guys think he's even more of a hero than he was before!

The way I understood it, his masterstroke was supposed to be both unmasking Batman, then letting the world watch as he reduced Bruce to a terrified, incoherent mess. I still don't really understand what exactly happened after that point, but it seemed like the toxin finally pushed Bruce over the edge, freeing the Joker aspect of his subconscious which laughed in Scarecrow's face, causing Crane to inject Bruce with even more toxin. This is when it seemed to start legitimately loving with the Joker persona's fears (being forgotten, I guess, which he also mentions earlier when he's looking at his weapon case in the GCPD evidence room; at this point, I have no idea how much of all that is legitimately Joker's reaction and how much is Bruce's hosed-up subconscious). I took it that, in the same way that Bruce's fear allowed the Joker persona to take control, the Joker persona's fears allowed Bruce's Batman persona to reclaim control (in the narrative and in the gameplay, with the player literally switching back from Joker to controlling Batman). Finally, after locking the Joker persona away in his Arkham mind prison or whatever, Bruce has no more fears left for Crane to exploit. Scarecrow just ends up making Bruce Wayne look like a bad rear end, then gets himself injected with his own toxin, and suffers the exact fate he wanted Bruce to suffer in front of the whole world.

There's also the whole Joker blood thing, and I have no idea how to reconcile that with anything at all...

The criminal reactions were sort of a mixed bag. Firefly mentions that the first thing he's going to burn down when he escapes is Wayne Manor. Random, overheard thugs mention that they fully intend on suing the poo poo out of Bruce now that they know he's the Batman. The mayor wants Bruce Wayne arrested immediately. And then there's the constant overheard thug banter mocking his true identity (though, I go out of my way to try and beat the poo poo out of those guys whenever I can just to put them back in their place).

The cop reactions were really sweet though. Like Cash: "Bruce Wayne, huh. If it's all the same to you I'll stick to Batman". Almost as good as Gordon casually addressing Bats as "Bruce" when they're riding up the elevator to see Scarecrow (and bittersweet when you realize why he's randomly apologizing to him while he "has the chance").
The actual comic book plot may be goofy as hell, but there were some really great moments between the characters.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I'm probably alone in this but I like to see the true ending as the explosion was genuine, and Batman returned as a really pissed off ghost and haunts Gotham beating up crooks with poltergeist powers, while the GPD just completely give up on asking questions. Sure, it means no chance for a Batman Beyond game, but c'mon. Crime fighting ghost!

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

CJacobs posted:

In previous games the camera rotated to at least try to keep all the guys on the screen while you were flying around, so that you wouldn't have to take your thumbs off the buttons to rotate the camera. In this game it does not do that.

edit: Also lol at that logic. "Why have several people mentioned there are issues with the camera??? There's no issue with the camera!!"

Do you not manually control the camera? Isn't that kind of the reason the right stick is there?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
When would I have time to do that

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Aquasnake posted:

Do you not manually control the camera? Isn't that kind of the reason the right stick is there?

With what? Your 3rd thumb?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean, you rotate it for like a second and if anything comes near you you counter it, the gameplay's not really fast enough that moving from the buttons to changing the camera is that much of a hassle, I did it all of the time during combat and in the other games and it never really felt like a hassle.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I move it around a bit when I'm mid-animation and it's generally ok. It'd be nice if it was a bit more forthcoming on its own though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, rotating it during animations is also a good time because it's a good few seconds of your hands not needing to do anything.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
On PC you just move the mouse to change the camera

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Crowetron posted:

I'm probably alone in this but I like to see the true ending as the explosion was genuine, and Batman returned as a really pissed off ghost and haunts Gotham beating up crooks with poltergeist powers, while the GPD just completely give up on asking questions. Sure, it means no chance for a Batman Beyond game, but c'mon. Crime fighting ghost!

Bat Spectre costume DLC with weird spooky bat particle effects and glowy eyes

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

plape tickler posted:

Tie breaking for leaderboards. Once you get to 3 stars, it breaks by rival points. Same goes for the overall leaderboard as well.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I played awhile using the anime skin. It wasn't that terrible! :sax:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is there a quick way to confirm you've found all the Riddler informants on an island?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

Is there a quick way to confirm you've found all the Riddler informants on an island?

They're random. Also once you've found all the riddles on an island it starts giving you the riddles for other areas, which is good because Founders Island seems to have a poo poo informant spawn rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
My PC version of the game started crashing today. I get an error log that has a bunch of "filename not found" errors. I re-verified my cache but it only finds my renamed intro videos. Any idea what could be causing that all of a sudden? The only ini tweak I've made is for maxfps and I set my Nvidia Vsync to half adaptive.

• Locked thread