Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

Oops

Postmaster GBS fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Depends.

gargamale
Oct 11, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Agrinja posted:

I've been using an Alto TS110 PA speaker for getting a sound out of synth-stuff, pretty flat response, it's no studio monitor but it's a 10-inch with a 1-inch HF driver, and is powered. Maybe one of the smaller models? That specific unit is a 300W (600w Peak) unit, and sits right on the $200 mark, I got mine on sale. The only issue I can see is that it's a tad larger than ye olde 80's style boomboxes.

This is absolutely perfect, thank you. I think I'll go with the 112 though, as I've always heard 12" speakers will have better bass response for guitars.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

gargamale posted:

This is absolutely perfect, thank you. I think I'll go with the 112 though, as I've always heard 12" speakers will have better bass response for guitars.

Glad to help! One thing I feel like it might be worth noting though, you're probably going to want to run your signal through some sort of cab sim before heading off into the PA, otherwise it'll wind up needlessly harsh and weird sounding. I'm unsure if the 10vs12 will make too much of a difference for your sound, granted, I largely run a synth through mine, but the bass response on the 10 is pretty heavy duty.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

10" vs 12" is pretty meaningless with FRFR stuff.

I originally went with 12's for the same reason (12's are just what you use with a 'real' guitar amp, right?) and it was way overkill and pointless weight and bulk.

I switched to the QSC K8's for my rig a while back and couldn't be happier, I've used the Alto 10's (they're what I have as monitors with my PA so I've got several) and they're pretty nice and I'd be happy using them too, at this point I retired the K12's strictly to PA use as mains/center-fills.

There's basically no difference in sound between them all, I can go crazy chugga chugga on the 8's as easily as I can the 12's. The Altos are a little less bright and not as snappy as the QSC but honestly, unless you're in a studio it'll never matter in the slightest, no one will notice unless you A/B them against each other.

The smaller speakers (from Alto and QSC at least) also have wider dispersion so there's less laser beam effect and a wider wash of sound.

The fact that you can get the Alto 10's for as little as$109 used with free shipping from GC is just icing on the cake.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Anything cheapish with fender/american voicing that will keep up with a drummer? Marshall/orange tone is just not working for me anymore. Doomy folk/country through to 90s screamo type sound.

Needs to be all tube, single channel is fine. Mainly using a rat for dirt but it would be nice to get like plexi or early jcm levels of gain on tap.

In australia so don't get to try out many amps, how do ampegs sound compared to a bassman or something? What about peavey poo poo?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

field balm posted:

Anything cheapish with fender/american voicing that will keep up with a drummer? Marshall tone is just not working for me anymore. Doomy folk/country through to 90s screamo type sound.

Needs to be all tube, single channel is fine. Mainly using a rat for dirt but it would be nice to get like plexi or early jcm levels of gain on tap.

In australia so don't get to try out many amps, how do ampegs sound compared to a bassman or something? What about peavey poo poo?

How cheap?
I have one of these and it does both Fender and Marshall / Vox tones really well:

https://www.blackstaramps.com/products/ht-stage60/

It has a thing called Infinite Shape which is a knob that lets you dial in and out 'American' or 'British' tones, it sort of does it quite well, 3 channels and each has a voice button so you get various sounds per channel, it;s very versatile.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

To be honest it is the infinite tone thing on my 1 watt blackstar that had made me start to question my british choice in tones for real amps!

A bigger one is something im considering, but i would like to get something with fewer controls that just does the one sound really well. Thanks for the input!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

field balm posted:

To be honest it is the infinite tone thing on my 1 watt blackstar that had made me start to question my british choice in tones for real amps!

A bigger one is something im considering, but i would like to get something with fewer controls that just does the one sound really well. Thanks for the input!

No worries man, I'm happy with it and thought I'd throw in the suggestion, I do get Fender cleans and distortion out of it but I lean more towards a Voxy sound overall so I wouldn't feel I know enough about that side of the amp to really go on with myself too much.

Edit: A Fender Twin would spring to mind though, I've seen some bargains around

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

field balm posted:

I was in your position and this fell into my lap.

Marshall JTM45 on the left (with plexi switch on back and a gain pot) and a blackface fender on the right. The Blackface sounds drat nice with a little boost in front.

I don't know if he does the two channel amps much anymore.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

field balm posted:

Anything cheapish with fender/american voicing that will keep up with a drummer? Marshall/orange tone is just not working for me anymore. Doomy folk/country through to 90s screamo type sound.

Is a silverface bassman loud enough?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

peter gabriel posted:

Edit: A Fender Twin would spring to mind though, I've seen some bargains around

Yeah, I keep seeing CL listings for twin reverbs in the $600-700 range and I keep having a reeeeeal hard time not biting on one, especially after playing my cousin's yesterday.

Only drawback is how much of a beast they are to move around.

gargamale
Oct 11, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Agrinja posted:

Glad to help! One thing I feel like it might be worth noting though, you're probably going to want to run your signal through some sort of cab sim before heading off into the PA, otherwise it'll wind up needlessly harsh and weird sounding. I'm unsure if the 10vs12 will make too much of a difference for your sound, granted, I largely run a synth through mine, but the bass response on the 10 is pretty heavy duty.

Oh yeah, no doubt. I use Positive Grid's Bias and it has amazing cab simulation. Glad to hear 12" isn't really as important in FRFR, but I already pulled the trigger on the TS112, I'm sure it'll be fine either way. Saw a few videos on youtube with a PODHD and was pretty impressed; I think this will work perfectly and it fit right in my budget. This community is great and I thank you gentleman for steering me on the right path.

Phil Donahue
Sep 12, 2007
Hey dudes, does anyone here have any experience with the Mesa F-50 head? I'm going back and forth between picking up a new Victory Countess or an F-50. Pricing is not really an issue, more concerned with clean channel tones than anything.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Schpyder posted:

Yeah, I keep seeing CL listings for twin reverbs in the $600-700 range and I keep having a reeeeeal hard
Only draw is how much of a beast they are

ftfy

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
So it's been a long while of searching and I haven't found an amp that comes close to this little front man 25 I have. I think some of the resistors are malfunctioning because no other frontman I tried sound like this.

How can I use this live? I've never miced an amp before.

I'll be running all of our instruments through ableton for live looping. Can I just throw a mic in front of the tiny amp and into an interface to ableton?

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Just curious, but what EQ settings do you use? I like mine but only on particular settings.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

umalt posted:

Just curious, but what EQ settings do you use? I like mine but only on particular settings.

It makes no sense but I love it. I do bass 0 treb 10 mids like 4.

It still has plenty of bass response but a little softer. It feels like an acoustic when you palm mute. Lots of tiny little sounds with a persuasive airyness.

I'm looking for the best way to capture this amp with the volume on 1 and bring this sound up to a live volume into ableton.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

philkop posted:

It makes no sense but I love it. I do bass 0 treb 10 mids like 4.
Actually that makes a lot more sense than most people would think. It's a good way to avoid combatting the bass and drums for their part of the sound spectrum and projecting your guitar more forward without adding sheer volume.

I catch a lot of flak from a bunch of the local guys for my sound when it's by itself but it sits in the band mix very well.

philkop posted:

I'm looking for the best way to capture this amp with the volume on 1 and bring this sound up to a live volume into ableton.
I did a cursory search and it looks like the only output on that amp is the headphone jack.

'Easiest' thing to do is snag a mic (I'm very partial to the Sennheiser E609, they're only like $100 new and you can find them used in perfect shape for around $50 pretty regularly), OR you could run a line out from your headphone jack into an input on your mixer (just be careful with the volume so you don't clip early). The additional complication with the headphone jack method is that you'll HAVE to run a cab IR somewhere in your chain to simulate having an actual speaker.

That could actually be a big benefit tho, since (arguably) the vast majority of your 'sound' comes from the speaker and being able to mix those up gives you a MUCH wider array of sounds you can use.

Actually, gimme a minute and I'll throw up a quick demo if you're interested.

Edit: Or tomorrow actually, I forgot I had a show tonight...

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 19, 2015

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

iostream.h posted:

Actually, gimme a minute and I'll throw up a quick demo if you're interested.

Yeah sure.

I think I like the micing route, and I already have some kind of shure lying around that will work in a pinch.

Plus I'd have my guitar "monitor" on stage with me.

My concern is the actually setting up. I feel like I'm going to be getting wild feedback, or not enough volume.

Is the mic you recommended (and others meant for amp recording) better at recording just the sound in front of it? So hopefully no feedback?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

philkop posted:

Yeah sure.

I think I like the micing route, and I already have some kind of shure lying around that will work in a pinch.

Plus I'd have my guitar "monitor" on stage with me.

My concern is the actually setting up. I feel like I'm going to be getting wild feedback, or not enough volume.

Is the mic you recommended (and others meant for amp recording) better at recording just the sound in front of it? So hopefully no feedback?
The 609 is a flat mic designed to drape down over the top of your amp/cab with the element resting against the mesh. It's GREAT at rejecting ambient noise and is built like a tank.

Feedback shouldn't really be an issue unless you're diming your amp and have it really close to you. If nothing else just flip the amp facing away from you (towards the back of the stage) to avoid it (and it also helps avoid laser beaming people in the front row).

I doubt you'd have any volume issues, you'd be surprised how much gain you can get out of a decent mic. Just experiment with it a bit, you'll be fine.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
Could anyone recommend a practice amp? I've been playing through a podXT with headphones all this time because of noise concerns, but now that I've moved I want to be able to play loud again. I don't need anything super huge, just one that's loud enough for a room and has a good distortion/metal tone that's anywhere around $100-300.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

iostream.h posted:

The 609 is a flat mic designed to drape down over the top of your amp/cab with the element resting against the mesh. It's GREAT at rejecting ambient noise and is built like a tank.

Feedback shouldn't really be an issue unless you're diming your amp and have it really close to you. If nothing else just flip the amp facing away from you (towards the back of the stage) to avoid it (and it also helps avoid laser beaming people in the front row).

I doubt you'd have any volume issues, you'd be surprised how much gain you can get out of a decent mic. Just experiment with it a bit, you'll be fine.

Yeah, it actually looks pretty badass. I'll probably go for this. I've come a long way searching for an amp that'll do this sound in a louder package. I might as well give up and just figure out how to stick with this amp. Plus carrying a 20lb practice amp to a show will be pretty nice.

I actually think something is wrong with the amp. It has a very strange acoustic presence to it that I haven't heard in any other models of this I have played. Anybody have any ideas of what this could be?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Rhopunzel posted:

Could anyone recommend a practice amp? I've been playing through a podXT with headphones all this time because of noise concerns, but now that I've moved I want to be able to play loud again. I don't need anything super huge, just one that's loud enough for a room and has a good distortion/metal tone that's anywhere around $100-300.

I know that someone around here has the Yamaha THR10X which is right at 300 and really likes it. Another person recommends the one-watt Blackstar combo, though you'd probably need a decent high-gain pedal to accomplish that.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
I have a THR10C which is close enough. I use it mostly for busking, but its a phenomenal amp.

Quite possibly the best dorm room/small apartment amp around.

philkop fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 19, 2015

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Shugojin posted:

I know that someone around here has the Yamaha THR10X which is right at 300 and really likes it. Another person recommends the one-watt Blackstar combo, though you'd probably need a decent high-gain pedal to accomplish that.

I looked up a bunch of Youtube vids of it and it looks perfect! Ordered it just now, thanks a lot :)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm probably that THR10X guy. It's phenomenal.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Rhopunzel posted:

I looked up a bunch of Youtube vids of it and it looks perfect! Ordered it just now, thanks a lot :)

Be sure to try out the included computer editor. It lets you get some cool effects not available on the physical unit itself.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm probably that THR10X guy. It's phenomenal.

Idk,I might be the THR guy.

I made a special harness to wear mine as a backpack, and I've begun plans to add an output trs jack to control the presets via a footswitch.

Pushing this baby to the limit.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Rhopunzel posted:

I run my podxt into a cheapo fender frontman 15r practice amp and it sounds good enough for just practicing by myself.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I love writing guitar riffs on my 5 watt Micro cube because when I switch to my guitarists Orange stack it sounds super heavy.

Also I finally got an amp that can push this giant bastard of a cab. Traynor Monoblock B, mid 70s it's gotta be putting out 500ish watts at 2 ohms. It's bassy as gently caress and I love the low mid, high mid eq.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Pokey Araya posted:

I love writing guitar riffs on my 5 watt Micro cube because when I switch to my guitarists Orange stack it sounds super heavy.

AKA the Tom G Warrior approach to songwriting.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Can a sudden heatwave effect tube/valve amplifiers? Past few days been seeing temps in the high 20's/low 30's Celsius thanks to all the insulation in this house and crazy intense sunlight.

Since it started the sound coming from my 15w tube combo feels kinda thin and weak compared to my modelling combo.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Verizian posted:

Can a sudden heatwave effect tube/valve amplifiers? Past few days been seeing temps in the high 20's/low 30's Celsius thanks to all the insulation in this house and crazy intense sunlight.

Since it started the sound coming from my 15w tube combo feels kinda thin and weak compared to my modelling combo.

Probably just the tubes time to go. Our heads sit in the back of the van at 40+c in the south.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
Saw a Fender Mustang III v.2 with a 2 button pedal, 4 button pedal, and an expression pedal for $250. I have heard people gush about it and that seems like a really good price including all the pedals.

Anything I should know before taking a look at it? This is just for home use.

I remember reading that you couldn't use the expression pedal at the same time as the 4 button, but you can always switch out as needed.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Gripen5 posted:

Saw a Fender Mustang III v.2 with a 2 button pedal, 4 button pedal, and an expression pedal for $250. I have heard people gush about it and that seems like a really good price including all the pedals.

Anything I should know before taking a look at it? This is just for home use.

I remember reading that you couldn't use the expression pedal at the same time as the 4 button, but you can always switch out as needed.

$250's a good deal for the amp alone; but with the extras then I would go full steam ahead. It's a good modelling amp (though not great like an AxeFX or 11Rack) and the III strikes a good balance between size, power, and flexibility available.

Personally I don't like modelling gear, 'cause it causes me to play more with my gear than my guitar; but I had a Mustang and I liked it when I did have it.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

umalt posted:

$250's a good deal for the amp alone; but with the extras then I would go full steam ahead. It's a good modelling amp (though not great like an AxeFX or 11Rack) and the III strikes a good balance between size, power, and flexibility available.

Personally I don't like modelling gear, 'cause it causes me to play more with my gear than my guitar; but I had a Mustang and I liked it when I did have it.

The 11rack I find does sort of the opposite. I mean, the first week or two is like a kid in a candy store, but then you figure out which "base amps" you like and then fine tune specifics from there.

When I got the GroundControlPro, it completely changed my 11rack love. It allowed me to add/remove FX or whatever on the go while still working within a single patch. So I generally use three or four "patches" but then add on top of the base sound with more gain or modulation. This obviously doesn't work for very specific sounds (like the guitar verse bit in "In the Meantime" by Spacehog). In that case, I'll have another row of four patches with one dedicated to that sound and the others providing low gain, medium gain, and super gain options on the other three available patch buttons in the specific bank.

Basically, I love my 11rack for coverband hack life.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Is there something intrinsically good about the Roland cube that makes jazz guitarists flock to it? Just clean headroom?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Southern Heel posted:

Is there something intrinsically good about the Roland cube that makes jazz guitarists flock to it? Just clean headroom?

Clean, portable, reliable, and most importantly, widely available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Southern Heel posted:

Cheaper JC120 that doesn't weigh a ton.