Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

A hookah bar near me was accepting bitcoin and .22 ammo as payment a couple years back. :tinfoil:

The building, which was all owned by one guy, also included a coffee shop and a taco place, I don't know if they were accepting it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

A hookah bar near me was accepting bitcoin and .22 ammo as payment a couple years back. :tinfoil:

Was this hookah bar in a post-nuclear Russia subway tunnel?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I wish. Then they would have had a liquor license as well. Although I probably wouldn't like mushroom vodka.

You get weird survivalists once in a while out here, even in a college town.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

pentyne posted:

Isn't the problem with Bitcoin that its impossible to convert to cash? No one is trading cash for bt anywhere, just shuffling bt back and forth.

Can't you convert it to drugs though, then convert the drugs to cash?

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Dr_Amazing posted:

They really did. They had a FAQ on their site and one of the questions was something like "Will you be doing something to stop all the insane rocket-jumping that completely unbalanced TFC and turned it into a completely different game?" and the answer was "No. We're going to put in more!!"

I'm not going to expand on this too much, but it's true. We did think there were enough players that wanted an updated hardcore competitive QWTF/TFC hybrid game full of CJs, RJs, trimping, sharking and bunny-hopping.

I think I've brought it up on SA before, but I've been blamed (at least partially) for the initial failure of FF, though by now it's pretty obvious it was 90% TF2.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

pentyne posted:

Isn't the problem with Bitcoin that its impossible to convert to cash? No one is trading cash for bt anywhere, just shuffling bt back and forth.

I'm not sure if they still do it but if you used a service they would just take the bitcoin and give the retailer cash. If the retailer just accepts it on their own then yes, they can't cash out.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Grraarrgghh posted:

I'm not going to expand on this too much, but it's true. We did think there were enough players that wanted an updated hardcore competitive QWTF/TFC hybrid game full of CJs, RJs, trimping, sharking and bunny-hopping.

I think I've brought it up on SA before, but I've been blamed (at least partially) for the initial failure of FF, though by now it's pretty obvious it was 90% TF2.

FF was amazing it was just years too late.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Grraarrgghh posted:

In all fairness I never played it so I can't judge. I just remember being disappointed by the direction it took. But it would have had to be unreasonably amazing to compete with TF2 coming out.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Initially, when the trepids and billdoor and whomever started development, it was meant to just be an updated version of TFC with some QWTF thrown in made in the HL2 engine. Development stagnated until mid 2006 when some new blood took over and hammered out a pretty playable game by early 2007. They thought they had all the time in the world, because Team Fortress 2 was a long stagnant pseudo-military game that Valve never developed, and we were still going to be out before Black Mesa (which hilariously took another 5 or 6 years to release). The only real "competition" was TFC itself (now an 7-8 year old game), ETF, a bit of QWTF and maybe WF.

We were gearing up for release over the summer of 2007. In June some people got immediately turned off when a bunch of beta footage was released in the form of a trick video (not MP gameplay). This resulted in a fair bit of backlash but we soldiered on anyway, since high-movement FPS gameplay was the goal (and really, there was and still are very few games that use 90s style movement mechanics as their primary focus...probably because they are hard and kind of dumb). We set a release date for September in July I believe, and we had a lot of buzz going.

In August 2007, 1 month prior to a surprise release, Valve announces TF2. There's more to the story (and still ongoing updates 8 years later for FF), but Google Trends tells it better than I ever could.

Grraarrgghh has a new favorite as of 06:19 on Jul 4, 2015

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

pentyne posted:

While technically you can still cash out ButtCoins it's impossible in practice. The biggest exchange (Mt. Gox) just up and vanished and it's been effectively impossible to cash out for a long while now because the waiting lists just got stupidly long. Which kind of illustrates the problems the currency had in the first place, really. People only wanted it in large numbers because it ultimately came to have actual US$ value. More and more people were buying in because the US$ value was going up but as it went up more and more people starting cashing out. The people who very strongly bought in real hard were set to lose poo poo loads of money when the bubble inevitably popped (which it, of course, did) so they started doing poo poo which is literally extremely illegal in the real financial world to keep the price high and increasing. As history has shown such actions can only lead to despair, hilarity, or both.

The whole house of cards came crashing down because the thing that was supposed to replace American currency was ultimately backed by American currency in the end. Everybody that was sane and not incredibly stupid realized how dumb of an idea it was to have a wrapper around the currency everybody was using anyway. A few smart folks adopted early, threw some cash into it, and then got out when the getting was good and made some cash but the people who were convinced they were going to be the next economy's billionaires because they bought a few video cards mostly just got made fun of. And they deserved it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The building, which was all owned by one guy, also included a coffee shop and a taco place, I don't know if they were accepting it too.

This is one of the most :911: concepts I've ever read.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

ToxicSlurpee posted:

While technically you can still cash out ButtCoins it's impossible in practice.

Couldn't you just send the Bitcoins to a dude, and he paypal you the money, or just give you cash?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Johnny Aztec posted:

Couldn't you just send the Bitcoins to a dude, and he paypal you the money, or just give you cash?

If you can find somebody willing to do that yes but currently, far as I can tell, finding a seller is drat near impossible and that's the problem. They were generally traded like stocks. You could buy all the ButtCoins you wanted but selling them was hard because fewer and fewer people were willing to buy them.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Johnny Aztec posted:

I thought PayPal was the Great Satan to Bitcoiners?

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
I would put money into black market currency. I would like a gun, and drugs but don't want to do back alley deals with people who actually do that poo poo. Did I miss out?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

thewireguy posted:

I would put money into black market currency. I would like a gun, and drugs but don't want to do back alley deals with people who actually do that poo poo. Did I miss out?

Yup. The Silk Road kind of attracted...uh...massive amounts of, well...how do we put this...government attention. As in the FBI decided that it should go away. The price of Buttcoins immediately took a gigantic nosedive and hasn't fully recovered since.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
Aww. After some research silk road sounded sweet. Any body know shady folks in Atlanta?:)

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

thewireguy posted:

Aww. After some research silk road sounded sweet. Any body know shady folks in Atlanta?:)

the police

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Too true, and not just here. I am from New Orleans and have heard some stories.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Also the saga of Butterfly Labs.

Basically when the boom started everyone who was on the ground floor got up and going with GPU based miners, this eventually gets superseded by application-specific integrated circuits - ASICs - and BFL arrives promising special units for your bitbucks.
Prices ranged from $150 up to around $20,000 - and the orders rolled in - around $20 to $50 million.

Initial shipping was to be in 2012 and soon that date began to slip. People started ordering everything in the hopes of winning the lottery. Cue very very desprate posts of people literally begging their postman to keep an eye out for "the package".

Of course as the delays rolled so did the window in which Bitcoins were actually profitable.and there was much speculation that they were trying to keep up with the times as faster chips and more insane mining arrays were being built. Any units that did get made were met with complaints as things broke or were broken on delivery or in other cases found to be set slower than recommended to not melt down.
That didn't explain the dust some had. Lo and behold it transpired that BFL had been giving these machines a good run to mine as much as possible before handing them off to customers to take advantage of when the coin was easier to mine.

Oh and if you wanted a refund, not a chance. In fact order paperwork was quite slim to boot. The growing lists of complaints soon got the FTC curious to what was going on.
The FTC filings strongly allude that most of that cash ended up being spent on personal things, like cars and saunas. One recorded bit of infamy was boxes of foam torches declaring "Y U NO SHIP – BFL IS LATE!"

There's far more to this story as well - such as displaying models of the cases at trade shows where they weren't much more than an empty chassis lined with fans, and an android tablet displaying a picture of a probable performance chart.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That's the least shady thing about bitcoin I've ever read.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cakefool posted:

That's the least shady thing about bitcoin I've ever read.

Yeah for those of you reading that haven't looked much at ButtCoins? Go read about them. I'm serious. Just Google BitCoin and start reading whatever news comes up. There is more Grade A, Prime Cut Schadenfreude than you could possibly consume in a lifetime. There's plenty to go around so take as much as you want. I've been following it more closely than most because it's always just a matter of time before the next "seriously, what were you dumb fucks thinking would happen?" story comes out.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

thewireguy posted:

you can buy a gun, from the store

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

And it's like, the purest uncut schadenfreude, because people who bought into bitcoin are exclusively Ronpaulite libertarian shitheads.

So there's not even any "Shame that happened to <x> though". Every single person it happened to brought it on themselves.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

And it's like, the purest uncut schadenfreude, because people who bought into bitcoin are exclusively Ronpaulite libertarian shitheads.

So there's not even any "Shame that happened to <x> though". Every single person it happened to brought it on themselves.

The absolute best part is that the lolbertarian poo poo bags that thought it was going to usher in a beautiful utopia of no regulation that they would no doubt be the industrial captains of ended up screeching for regulations before too long. A poo poo load of them went running to the government went Mt. Gox happened and they just went "no you're loving idiots." From start to finish it was just a long list of proofs that regulation is ultimately a good thing. Their main accomplishment was proving that all the regulations they hate and claimed squelched creativity existed for a drat good reason.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Their main accomplishment was proving that all the regulations they hate and claimed squelched creativity existed for a drat good reason.

"Creativity" and "innovation" in financial services pretty much exclusively mean "finding ways to fool people into giving you money for nothing." Bundling up untenable subprime mortgages that are ultimately worthless and selling them as a reasonable investment vehicle? How innovative!

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
Games Workshop is the company that is best known for producing the Warhammer 40K miniatures games, but before their excursion into the grimmest and darkest future, they made Warhammer Fantasy, which has continued plodding along under the shadow of its younger brother. Just recently, GW announced they were rebooting the Fantasy setting, and everything was going to change forever with the new edition.

It is... well... there are all sorts of crazy monkey-cheese rules, like if you pretend to ride an invisible horse, you can reroll some of your dice. If you have a mustache that's bigger than your opponent's, your hero character gets a bonus. If you yell nonsense at the top of your lungs, your units can charge further. This isn't a joke, this is the official ruleset encouraging its players to be as obnoxious as possible during games. I can only imagine what the stores that host these games are going to look like, or how long it takes before all this nonsense is banned by the various shops these games are played in.

To prove I'm not joking:

Oh, and also, there are no rules for the 'point cost' of the various units. You can just put as many little miniatures on the table as you want, and there's no kind of balance to control for that. Just give as much money to GW as you can spare, and you'll win! Unless you're playing against somebody who has even more disposable income and even less sense.

From the thread in Traditional Games:

Cyclomatic posted:

Had a discussion about AoS, and they were basically saying "well, you just have to discuss the game before you play it. It isn't a tournament game or blind pickup game".

Which made me realize, the game literally doesn't have the language to support having a discussion about the game that requires having a discussion about the game to play it. How do you agree on the quality and quantity of the stuff each player is going to bring, how do you agree on the stuff like how much stuff can be summoned.

Their response was it was easy. We bring like 1 hero each, X of whatever unit each.

So I said what if I showed up with 1 goblin hero and you showed up with 1 Sigmar the holy god marine in flying power armor that shoots Jesus lighting from his hammer. That wouldn't be an issue?

To which they said, well that would be no fun. It would be like if you showed up with a Warmachine battle box and I came with a 50 point list and that no communication is no fun. Which to me, the need to drop out of proto-caveman-sigmar-barter-grunt-talk and use points in Warmachine to illustrate the point, somehow seems like a fatal blow to the premise of not needing points to communicate about the game you want to play...

The game is a loving train wreck. gently caress you GW for making me secretly hope this would somehow be cool.

I've never even played, but watching this whole meltdown unfold over in TG has been absolutely delicious.

EDIT: A few more for the road

Lamprey Cannon has a new favorite as of 19:17 on Jul 4, 2015

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
A friend of mine was one of the first wave of buttcoiners. An insane man gave him his pretty nice car for all his sweet coinage.

I guess that was pretty good scootfroot, now that I think about it. The car ended up being worth around $30k and the buttcoins were supposedly worth around $70k at the time, but I'm pretty sure he couldn't find a way to cash out before the price crashed. "I'm gonna double my investment in one day! What do you mean I can't exchange them anymore??"

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Lamprey Cannon posted:

Games Workshop

I tapped out of all this Warhammer stuff in the late 90s, but jesus gently caress that sounds awful :psyduck:

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Danger Mahoney posted:

A friend of mine was one of the first wave of buttcoiners. An insane man gave him his pretty nice car for all his sweet coinage.

I guess that was pretty good scootfroot, now that I think about it. The car ended up being worth around $30k and the buttcoins were supposedly worth around $70k at the time, but I'm pretty sure he couldn't find a way to cash out before the price crashed. "I'm gonna double my investment in one day! What do you mean I can't exchange them anymore??"

That is the best. We need a thread of all the stories of people who traded valuable stuff for bitcoins. It's like modern day magic beans, except that you don't get the magic beans, you just give your cow away. :allears:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lamprey Cannon posted:

Games Workshop is the company that is best known for producing the Warhammer 40K miniatures games, but before their excursion into the grimmest and darkest future, they made Warhammer Fantasy, which has continued plodding along under the shadow of its younger brother. Just recently, GW announced they were rebooting the Fantasy setting, and everything was going to change forever with the new edition.

It is... well... there are all sorts of crazy monkey-cheese rules, like if you pretend to ride an invisible horse, you can reroll some of your dice. If you have a mustache that's bigger than your opponent's, your hero character gets a bonus. If you yell nonsense at the top of your lungs, your units can charge further. This isn't a joke, this is the official ruleset encouraging its players to be as obnoxious as possible during games. I can only imagine what the stores that host these games are going to look like, or how long it takes before all this nonsense is banned by the various shops these games are played in.

To prove I'm not joking:

Oh, and also, there are no rules for the 'point cost' of the various units. You can just put as many little miniatures on the table as you want, and there's no kind of balance to control for that. Just give as much money to GW as you can spare, and you'll win! Unless you're playing against somebody who has even more disposable income and even less sense.

From the thread in Traditional Games:

I've never even played, but watching this whole meltdown unfold over in TG has been absolutely delicious.

EDIT: A few more for the road

That does sound like a dumb game. Is there any dumb marketing campaigns that go with it?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

I tapped out of all this Warhammer stuff in the late 90s, but jesus gently caress that sounds awful :psyduck:

The last 5-10 years of GW operations has been "gently caress the customer, it doesn't matter how much we raise prices or restrict where GW products can be sold these people will still rush out to purchase the new sets"

Toxic company, toxic consumers, and a business plan that is batshit insane. for example

- Ceased production of paperbacks to force people to buy their insanely expensive ebooks (about $20 or more for years old books)
- Changed the way models are sold so now its spend $35 for a pack of 3 randoms, hope you get a valuable one
- Stock price drops 25%, GW doesn't talk about it and just says it was a great year.

There is a wealth of GW horror stories all over the internet, but my favorite is when they tried to sue because they claimed to own the phrase "Space Marines" and in the course of the case they ended up not only losing but the way they presented it they also were told they don't own legal copywrite on any of their "common" terms, like inquisitor, hive fleet, titan, etc. I might be wrong, all I can remember was that GW was involved in an IP case and ended up more screwed after then before because of the language they used to define their products.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Last Chance posted:

That does sound like a dumb game. Is there any dumb marketing campaigns that go with it?

The dumb marketing is all marketing that Games Workshop has done for like 10 years.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

pentyne posted:

- Changed the way models are sold so now its spend $35 for a pack of 3 randoms, hope you get a valuable one

I don't think this one is true.

But make no mistake, games workshop deserves to be in this thread more than anybody, despite the fact that they proudly have no marketing department.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, in their yearly stockholder report, they actually BOAST about being so "successful" (again, wiped 25% off their stock price in one year) while having no marketing department whatsoever.

There's also a tie-in Total War franchise game coming out for Warhammer Fantasy...set in the world they just retconned out of existence.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
Surely people have started 3d printing these things by now.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
Oh, yesterday I dropped off a card to make signs for a new bar. "My parent's basement" that will have a full comic book store inside and magic tournaments, warhammer, etc. Truth is stranger than fiction.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Lamprey Cannon posted:

Is this part for real? Can't they at least pretend to be aware that a small percentage of their players are female?

My ex's game store didn't have any WH Fantasy players, but the 40K scene was pretty active, and I really liked those guys. They were on average older than the TCG players, mostly guys in their 30s with families. Some of the wives/girlfriends played too. They had their poo poo together and acted like adults, and never once caused any problems for the store. I can't imagine how those types of players would react to being asked to ride an invisible horse for a bonus.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

thewireguy posted:

Oh, yesterday I dropped off a card to make signs for a new bar. "My parent's basement" that will have a full comic book store inside and magic tournaments, warhammer, etc. Truth is stranger than fiction.

Why isn't it called "The Friendzone"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

pookel posted:

Is this part for real? Can't they at least pretend to be aware that a small percentage of their players are female?

To be fair, IIRC the rule doesn't state that the moustache has to be real, see below:

quote:

Pride of the Reiksguard: Helborg’s skill is as legendary as his moustache is magnificent. You can re-roll any failed hit rolls when attacking with the Runefang so long as you have a bigger and more impressive moustache than your opponent.

Other rules include:

quote:

And He Did Say 'War', And The World Did Tremble...:
If Settra the Imperishable uses this ability, you must hold out your hand and utter 'War' in a supremely commanding tone. If you do, then until your next Hero phase you can add 1 to all hit rolls for Death units in your army that are within 18" of Settra during the combat phase. If a Deathrattle unit is affected by this ability, you can also had 1 to their wound rolls in the combat phase. However, if Settra is your general, you must not kneel for any reason during the battle. If you do, even once, you immediately lose the battle. Settra does not kneel!

quote:

In your hero phase, the Screaming Bell tolls. Roll two dice, add the scores together and consult the table below to see what happens (no modifiers can be applied to this roll).
(On a roll of 13 on those two dice) Improbable Victory!: Against all probability and reason, you immediately win the battle (and are hereafter branded a cheat – not that that should bother a true skaven general).

quote:

Children of the Horned Rat: Verminous Offering.
If 'Children of the Horned Rat' is successfully cast you may summon 2D6 Clanrats within 6' of the caster. If you have brought a live rat to the game and it is happily gnawing on the painted scenery you may instead summon 4d6 Clanrats. If you have brought the rotting corpse of a rat to the game you may only summon 3d6 additional Clanrats

quote:

The Mad Count:
Marius Leitdorf is an exceptional swordsman, even if he is totally insane. If, during your hero phase, you pretend to ride an imaginary horse, you can re-roll failed hit rolls for the Averland Runefang until your next hero phase. If you actually talk to your imaginary horse you can re-roll failed wound rolls as well.

EDIT: poo poo, forgot the best one:

quote:

One Bat Short of a Belfry
Konrad is a violent lunatic, and his temper does little to help his stretched sanity. If, during your hero phase, you talk to Konrad von Carstein, you can re-roll all hit rolls of 1 for him until your next hero phase. If Konrad von Carstein talks back to you, re-roll all failed hit rolls instead.