Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Well, I managed to find a lantern that looked lightbulby enough to finish up my pub room.

I need to figure out what I'm going to do for the other residents though. Also probably make a new room for the guide since I'm not really sure I like what I built there. I'm no good at building actual houses, but decorating rooms is easy enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...
While I love the rewards from fishing it doesn't seem to love me today. Using the sonar potion I saw an iron crate, reel it in, empty line. Didn't miss it since it was on the first bob so I don't know but it's irritating as hell when that happens.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Kizurue posted:

While I love the rewards from fishing it doesn't seem to love me today. Using the sonar potion I saw an iron crate, reel it in, empty line. Didn't miss it since it was on the first bob so I don't know but it's irritating as hell when that happens.

Your line broke, you need the fishing line accessory from quests to stop it. I hope they let you tinker together the 3 fishing accessories sometime in the near future.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Haven't messed around with building too much 1.3 stuff yet, but here's my base from my 1.2 world:

Not as nice as some of the stuff I see posted here, I tend to just kind of fill in space. You can also see my incomplete collection of weapons/armor.

Alhough I may have peaked back in 1.1 with this old favourite

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tyty posted:

Well, I managed to find a lantern that looked lightbulby enough to finish up my pub room.

I need to figure out what I'm going to do for the other residents though. Also probably make a new room for the guide since I'm not really sure I like what I built there. I'm no good at building actual houses, but decorating rooms is easy enough.

Zoomed out the upper part looks like a beached, broken ship or something and I thought that looked pretty rad. Just felt like mentioning that.

Anyway I finally finished farming up some rainbow dye and I have to say, I love the dye system in this game. My character is now a a winged rainbow nightmare followed by a terrible rainbow skull and a glowing rainbow ball. I just wish I could find some of those strange plants.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Blackheart posted:

According to the wiki the Starfury got buffed to 31 damage, but I just found one and it's weaker than that, even when I got lucky and reforged it into legendary. Was it de-buffed or something?

I'm building a Sky Railroad to find all the islands / get quick transportation :smithicide:

I noticed this also. It's also supposed to have a recharge time, says the wiki, but there isn't one beyond "you can only be shooting one star at a time."

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I've never seen these spiffy reflective dyes before :neckbeard:

I am a child :3:

fake edit: Speaking of children, I've been playing on our little private server with a few friends and some of their kids. It is absolutely the funniest poo poo ever. They're wildly enthusiastic about everything, remarkably good at the game, and make for the best butts to gentle jokes ever :kimchi:

victrix fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 4, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Ropes are really cool. Though I'm disappointed you move so slowly when crossing them horizontally. I was hoping you could make a base where you zipline between your houses.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Welp, all three mech bosses are beaten.
I think the meetyourdemize videos helped because usually I suck at fighting them. Are there any good videos of the new boss fights?

Also are the pumpkin/frost moons feasible without lizhard temple traps? It sounds like you WILL get a martian invasion with a boss fight immediately after you kill the golem so you can't use the picksaw to prep your base for it.

Most of the new features seem to be lategame, but some of them I've enjoyed:
1) the addition of crafting from chests now means you can just put a chest of all alchemy ingredients next to an alchemy station instead of memorizing which ingredients make what and dragging them back and forth
2) Item frames are a godsend for storage, framing a star next to magic weapons or a healing potion next to the potion chest means you never forget where anything is
3) That drat unicorn mount rules, not too hard to get and now travel is painless
4) I'm going to try to enjoy yoyos while I can because I'm sure they will be nerfed soon, and once you know how to use them (rub cursor on thing until it dies) they can really mop up swarms of enemies.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Are there any reason for using sonar potions? It seems like at best you get exactly as advertised, and at worst your line snaps and you know exactly what you lost. Does it help with fishing somehow?

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Gimbal lock posted:

Are there any reason for using sonar potions? It seems like at best you get exactly as advertised, and at worst your line snaps and you know exactly what you lost. Does it help with fishing somehow?

You don't have to reel in the thing when it pops up. Just sit and wait for something you want to appear, then reel it in.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Gimbal lock posted:

Sonar potions are the best. If you don't like what you see, it doesn't cost anything but time to just wait until it displays something else before clicking. It's the only way to avoid getting a zillion bass from forest lakes.

Qylvaran fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 4, 2015

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I think i'm stuck on hard mode.

I'm generally following this guide

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Guide:Walkthrough#Hardmode

I'm at the part where I should be gearing up for the mech bosses but my current set doesn't seem to be working well. My current go-to is a full set of titanium armor, the amarok yoyo (plus I managed to make a yo yo bag), wings and the warrior's emblem. I can get the worm to about 70% before he pushes my poo poo in.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

You should be able to take down the destroyer with that. Do you have health regen in your arena? Make sure you have campfires and heart lanterns down. Something like this.

Reforge your weapon and accessories until you get desirable prefixes on them. At that point in the game, defense is often good on accessories. If you've killed any mimics and gotten a philosopher stone, combining it with a life regen band gives a pretty handy accessory for early boss fighting.

Once you kill the destroyer you can make a megashark, which will allow you to murderfuck the other two mechanical bosses.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

I Said No posted:

You don't have to reel in the thing when it pops up. Just sit and wait for something you want to appear, then reel it in.

Yeah but it's not like you lose but .25 seconds reeling the dumb bass in and it's worth 5 silver so :shrug:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

e:f,b. Should've reloaded between fishing trips

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah but it's not like you lose but .25 seconds reeling the dumb bass in and it's worth 5 silver so :shrug:

You do save the fishing attempt, which counts towards not using up your bait on lovely bass.

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 4, 2015

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Is anyone else having problem with trees not growing? I've planted tons of acorns in my snow biome with nothing but open skies and plenty of space around them, but they never seem to grow.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

DrManiac posted:

I think i'm stuck on hard mode.

I'm generally following this guide

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Guide:Walkthrough#Hardmode

I'm at the part where I should be gearing up for the mech bosses but my current set doesn't seem to be working well. My current go-to is a full set of titanium armor, the amarok yoyo (plus I managed to make a yo yo bag), wings and the warrior's emblem. I can get the worm to about 70% before he pushes my poo poo in.

Melee weapons aren't actually very good against bosses. You just don't want to be that close to them. Yoyo's make it a lot better, but it'll still usually be easier early on to just use ranged or magic.

Later melee weapons fire projectiles, so they work great.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

My 1.2 base (warning: huge):

Near the top you can see the mini-skybridge I made to fight the Twins, bottom right is the origin where I had originally built my base, which I relocated to save NPCs from invasions and subsequently broke down and gave a ruined look. Bottom left is some somewhat detached housing I'd made a while ago to have a separate village, but when I built the sky-bulb/brick mushroom I just moved everyone in there. That gemspark antenna at the top is just on the edge of getting sky enemies appearing, jumping from that top of it and I'm liable to get attacked by harpies or wyverns. :v:

graynull posted:

Is anyone else having problem with trees not growing? I've planted tons of acorns in my snow biome with nothing but open skies and plenty of space around them, but they never seem to grow.

Sometimes the things just won't grow. I've no idea why.

Also, similarly - is anyone else having trouble finding life fruits? I've done three or four expeditions into my underground jungle in my new 1.3 world in hardmode but haven't seen any at all.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
Hello, it's me, a Starbound refugee.

I'm glad that the guide is so eager to open the door to my hovel and quickly close it as soon as he lets a zombie in. I'm sure these are just teachable moments.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mondlicht posted:

I'm glad that the guide is so eager to open the door to my hovel and quickly close it as soon as he lets a zombie in. I'm sure these are just teachable moments.
Put him above ground level without a door facing the outside.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Mondlicht posted:

At least he'll also kill it for you now.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Does anyone know what's wrong with these two rooms? I can fill them with the appropriate furniture and it just gives me an unhelpful message that the room is "not suitable". Rooms that are their mirror images work fine.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Are you sure you're not missing a wall anywhere?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
They need a chair, a comfort item and a light.

You're missing a chair and a light.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

They need a chair, a comfort item and a light.

You're missing a chair and a light.
He said the message was after putting in the furniture.

Also that message means it's lacking a wall or the room isn't big enough, otherwise it would specify "This room needs a light source" or w/e. Counting the tile tells me they are above treshold so it must be a wall tile missing (they can APPEAR to be filled, but one piece is actually missing - use Smart Cursor to auto-fill the room easily)

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009
You used to only need about 80% of the wall tiles placed to make it a valid room... i hope they didn't change that.

"Background walls may contain holes if the holes are no taller or wider than four tiles. (e.g. 4 background tiles across or tall, so the maximum size is 4x4, 16 in total. The hole cannot exceed 4x4 or 16 tiles.). Walls may have multiple holes as long as they are separated by at least a single tile of background walls."

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

I really enjoy the fact that tools don't degrade with use, I don't need to eat, or keep warm. I'll just tunnel into this snow and ice forever, I am a god!!

Characters are separate from worlds, in the way that if I'm playing single player now I can use this character to pop into multiplayer as well?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Mondlicht posted:

Characters are separate from worlds, in the way that if I'm playing single player now I can use this character to pop into multiplayer as well?

Yes, along with everything they carry. That way you can bring stuff from one world to another, and mix corruption and crimson in a world.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

YF-23 posted:

Yes, along with everything they carry.
And the contents of their safe and piggy bank!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Mondlicht posted:

I really enjoy the fact that tools don't degrade with use, I don't need to eat, or keep warm. I'll just tunnel into this snow and ice forever, I am a god!!

there's no environmental gating or anything, but you'll quickly find that areas can and will be gated by enemy difficulty. of course, there's plenty of ways to get around this if you know what you're doing, which makes it fun.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

there's no environmental gating or anything, but you'll quickly find that areas can and will be gated by enemy difficulty. of course, there's plenty of ways to get around this if you know what you're doing, which makes it fun.

I just yelled unintelligibly while getting surprise-eaten by a Devourer, so yes. For sure.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

I just discovered you can craft together worms with fallen stars to make better bait. This loving game.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Supremezero posted:

Melee weapons aren't actually very good against bosses. You just don't want to be that close to them. Yoyo's make it a lot better, but it'll still usually be easier early on to just use ranged or magic.

Later melee weapons fire projectiles, so they work great.

So where should I go for decent hardmode weapons? I haven't got any magic or ranged drops (well, aside from the new ore stuff). Is fishing just as awesome as pre-hard mode?

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Does the money trough just let you access your piggy bank inventory, or is it a separate container? I don't have one yet, but if it gives a new inventory, like the safe, I'll get ready to go all out on the next blood moon. I think one of the reasons I don't have it yet is that Eskimo zombies replace one of the enemies that can drop it.

Never mind, the wiki says now, and its just your regular piggy bank stuff.

Qylvaran fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 4, 2015

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Qylvaran posted:

Does the money trough just let you access your piggy bank inventory, or is it a separate container? I don't have one yet, but if it gives a new inventory, like the safe, I'll get ready to go all out on the next blood moon. I think one of the reasons I don't have it yet is that Eskimo zombies replace one of the enemies that can drop it.

It spawns a stationary familiar that you can right click on to access your piggy bank anywhere.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I have discovered the Slime Mount, and it is the best thing.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 4, 2015

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Is there any trick to finding the larvae you need to kill to summon the Queen Bee?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Break rocks and other tiles in the jungle, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

neurotech posted:

Is there any trick to finding the larvae you need to kill to summon the Queen Bee?

look for hives? there's a guarantee larvae in each hive, sometimes 2.

e: once you kill the queen, use its loot to craft Abeeminations to easily summmon more