Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
I'm completely new to the FF Online stuff. Is dragoon as bad as everyone everywhere says or does it just suffer from tons of terrible players playing it because it seems/looks cool (ala the WoW Hunter.)

So far I've leveled a gladiator, archer, and pugilist to 15 and the pugilist seems to be the most fun by far. My original plan was to tank as a gladiator but then I was thinking of being a bard before I saw how ugly their armor looked on guy characters. Now I want to be a ninja. When it's all said and done I think I want to be a Dark Knight because they look pretty cool. :black101:

e: The level 5 armor I got while questing on my Pugilist/Gladiator makes me look like I belong in a cage with police dogs.

Mikemo Tyson fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Mikemo Tyson posted:

I'm completely new to the FF Online stuff. Is dragoon as bad as everyone everywhere says or does it just suffer from tons of terrible players playing it because it seems/looks cool (ala the WoW Hunter.)

So far I've leveled a gladiator, archer, and pugilist to 15 and the pugilist seems to be the most fun by far. My original plan was to tank as a gladiator but then I was thinking of being a bard before I saw how ugly their armor looked on guy characters. Now I want to be a ninja. When it's all said and done I think I want to be a Dark Knight because they look pretty cool. :black101:

Dragoons have the highest DPS in the game which is a really good thing. They got buffed in Heavensward since it's sort of their flagship expansion, they're really good. It's just that stupid idiots like me love to use the cool edgy DPS class so they often don't know how to maximize their DPS.

Pugilist into Monk is an active combo chain DPS class where you constantly have to reposition yourself in battle. If you like that sortie then it's perfect for you, but a lot of people hate having to constantly move.

quote:

e: The level 5 armor I got while questing on my Pugilist/Gladiator makes me look like I belong in a cage with police dogs.

Yeah, don't pay much attention to gear until literally lvl 50, unless you're using dungeon gear all the outfits look the same and kind of poo poo until you unlock glamours.

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 4, 2015

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh

Mikemo Tyson posted:

Welcome to FF14, you are playing the game in the exact right way and have nothing to learn

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Dark Knights do look really cool. I'd post screens of mine but I'm on my phone.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Kwyndig posted:

Dark Knights do look really cool. I'd post screens of mine but I'm on my phone.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Verranicus posted:

They're literally just guild retainers, there's nothing particularly fun about them. They couldn't even give us a canned animation of our characters riding it around.

After 8/27, the really put some strict guidelines about airships.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Bismark EX is barely a DPS check. It is doable with an i170/180 weapon and the rest or your stuff HQ i148 from the story/side quests. If your DPS is having trouble breaking this check, they are doing something fundamentally wrong. Either they have no idea (or the wrong idea) what their rotation should be, they're not using their cooldowns wisely, they're not capitalizing on their uptime and moving around unnecessarily, or maybe even just not standing on Bismark to hurt him.

A good guide on how to beat Bismark EX/Any Hard Fight:
-Read up on the mechanics (For Bismark)
-Get in voice chat together (just do it, even if it's a random person's TS3, stop being an antisocial goon and just communicate)
-Run ACT so you can tell where your issues with DPS are, if you have any
-Talk to the people who are having DPS/mechanics issues so you can figure out what they are and discuss how to fix them
-If someone is consistently messing up mechanics and has consistently low DPS with no signs of improvement, replace them. It seems harsh but, unless you want to ask everyone else to put it significantly more effort to make up for the one weak link, it needs to be done. You want to beat the fight, don't you?
-Stop whining about things being too hard.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
They buffed skill speed and spell speed with the expansion, right? Did that actually amount to anything, or are they still stats you mostly want to avoid in favor of things like crit and det?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Crit was buffed (the stat affects both crit chance and crit damage) and det was nerfed (it has a smaller effect on auto-attacks). SS was supposedly buffed by way of making it increase the damage of DOT ticks, but supposedly that change didn't get properly implemented?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Calihan posted:

I wouldn't mind DPS checks nearly as much if the DPS classes were actually even close in output. I am not talking about WoW style balance issues where Mages being 5% off the top end is an international loving emergency. More like when have tanks literally able to out-DPS classes like MCH. It just seems pretty drat stupid expecting a bunch of random people to be able to be thrown together and somehow beat an arbitrary number when the DPS class output is all over the place in comparison with each other (or in the case of MCH, compared to itself from fight to fight thanks to it's random as all hell proc mechanics on their basic rotation. Even when the results do range from "Meh" to "Why the gently caress are you even trying?" ).

Our friend Belzac has helped to point out that tanks cannot in fact out DPS Machinists.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

After 8/27, the really put some strict guidelines about airships.

Wake up krakyurs, Holy See did 11/11

e: do you really think cerulean can melt allagan steel dalmuds???

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Eej posted:

Our friend Belzac has helped to point out that tanks cannot in fact out DPS Machinists.

Thank you b-b-belzac

:vomit:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Eej posted:

Actually I think tank still beats the MCN+pet there by like half a DPS.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fister Roboto posted:

Crit was buffed (the stat affects both crit chance and crit damage) and det was nerfed (it has a smaller effect on auto-attacks). SS was supposedly buffed by way of making it increase the damage of DOT ticks, but supposedly that change didn't get properly implemented?

If SS isn't affecting DoT damage when they fix it it'll either have a really small effect on DoT damage or SMN is going to be a complete monster.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Is the trailblazer set for gatherers even really worth getting considering it has no meld slots? Would the HQ serpentskin set be better to shoot for because if so I'd rather by grinding gil than scrips.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Eej posted:

Now do it on something that isn't a target dummy.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Irish Joe posted:

Is there a newbie thread for this game? I'm just starting out and tanking dungeons and I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing. Is it enough to just hold threat as a marauder or should I be doing something else on top of that?

Here's some general dungeon tanking tips:

Mark a target. - I only bother with a single mark. Just put the 1 down on what you want people to kill first and they'll be happy to oblige. Sometimes you'll get an odd person who keeps hitting whatever they want to. You can either ask them nicely to hit what you're marking or just mark what they're hitting. Keeping your damage dealers focused makes things die faster and speeds up the whole run. I like to target ranged attackers first, because they usually die faster and have the most annoying attacks.

Don't be afraid to use your cooldowns. - If you have a good healer, they'll be doing damage when they know you're not going to die immediately. It's not their main role but if they can put out some damage in every fight it'll speed up the run overall. You can take some healing pressure off by rotating through your defensive cooldowns, and especially by popping one at the start of a pull when you'll be taking the most damage. I know when I first started tanking in MMOs I was always "saving" my cooldowns outside of boss fights, thinking I would need them for an "oh poo poo" situation. If you're pulling properly you won't get into those situations in the first place.

Pulling. - If you know there's a patroller walking around, either pull them first or pull the other monsters away from the route. You can use provoke to pull at a much longer range than your standard ranged attack. When you have a target selected, you can see if they're "linked" to other monsters and will attack all at once or if they can be fought separately. Ideally you always want to fight in a spot where everyone can move around to dodge without aggroing additional monsters.

Dodging. - Generally when you engage a pack you'll want to keep everything facing away from your party so they can focus on their jobs without having to dodge frontal telegraphs. When it comes to dodging attacks yourself, don't forget that you can walk THROUGH monsters. Going straight ahead or strafing is typically the fastest way to dodge a telegraphed attack.

Use your stun attacks. - There's almost always something you can prevent from being cast by using your stun attacks. If there isn't, you can use your stun for a little extra damage and/or relieving a little bit of healing pressure.

When you have the basics of holding threat and not dying down, being a good tank is just about doing what you can to make the run go as quickly and smoothly as possible.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Verranicus posted:

Is the trailblazer set for gatherers even really worth getting considering it has no meld slots? Would the HQ serpentskin set be better to shoot for because if so I'd rather by grinding gil than scrips.

They'll both be worse than the red scrip turn-in, so why blow your money now?

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUN8hLVpye4
Alexander might be cool.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I hit 28 BTN today and gently caress man this is painful. Even leves (which are precious and I am loathe to waste) don't make this feel fast anymore. I use food and a scroll from my GC and it's still not awesome. Am I missing something?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I hit 28 BTN today and gently caress man this is painful. Even leves (which are precious and I am loathe to waste) don't make this feel fast anymore. I use food and a scroll from my GC and it's still not awesome. Am I missing something?

Nope. Deliveries to your grand company help but it sucks.

Heavenward is better at least.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Minrad posted:

Nope. Deliveries to your grand company help but it sucks.

Heavenward is better at least.

Yeah I've been doing HQ delivers for BTN/FSH/CUL every day and it's a huge chunk but I still need MORE EXP!

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Yeah I've been doing HQ delivers for BTN/FSH/CUL every day and it's a huge chunk but I still need MORE EXP!
At that level you do leves basically. At 51 you can do glorious Collectible turn-ins for massive XP for little effort.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Is there a way to have vertical hotbars change when you change classes?

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Afraid not, not much. Use the scrolls while you do levequests, and try to stick to the levequests that have as their icon either a girl with a basket of flowers or a miqo'te fishing, those show you an "evaluation score" while you're doing them and give more experience if you get it high enough. It won't be possible to only do those, though, even if your chances improve at level 35 due to them making up a larger fraction of the leve quests available.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rincewind posted:

Turn sharing off

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Rincewind posted:

Yes, click the little gear box on your chat box, then go to the hot bar setting (two cross looking button) then the sharing tab.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Yes, click the little gear box on your chat box, then go to the hot bar setting (two cross looking button) then the sharing tab.

Thank you!

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

fount of knowledge posted:

They'll both be worse than the red scrip turn-in, so why blow your money now?

But won't you need one or the other to even be able to gather whatever is necessary for the red scrips?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Bobfly posted:

Afraid not, not much. Use the scrolls while you do levequests, and try to stick to the levequests that have as their icon either a girl with a basket of flowers or a miqo'te fishing, those show you an "evaluation score" while you're doing them and give more experience if you get it high enough. It won't be possible to only do those, though, even if your chances improve at level 35 due to them making up a larger fraction of the leve quests available.

Thanks! I'll keep this in mind. My leves are very precious since I don't have 100 banked, so this tip is great. I also found some fishing leve that let me turn nine fish in and that loving owned. Do you remember what plate that is by any chance?

Griz
May 21, 2001

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Thanks! I'll keep this in mind. My leves are very precious since I don't have 100 banked, so this tip is great. I also found some fishing leve that let me turn nine fish in and that loving owned. Do you remember what plate that is by any chance?

list of all levequests: http://ffxivcrafting.com/levequests

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.

Irish Joe posted:

Is there a newbie thread for this game? I'm just starting out and tanking dungeons and I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing. Is it enough to just hold threat as a marauder or should I be doing something else on top of that?

{Overpow} {Do you have it?} {Please use it.}

But seriously use that move like 3 times on each trash mob pack. Also get GLA to 22 at some point for provoke and flash. No rush, just sometime before 50.

Other than that, my personal nugget of advice I would give new players is use ALL your cooldowns, on cooldown - especially when you get a new move. I don't care if you think it's a bad move, or if you think it's not an optimal time, or if you want to "save it for an emergency", or if you're scared of the Berserk 6 second pacifist debuff. The 1-50 dungeons have a huge amount of leeway, it's best to get a feel for your cooldown timings and how they all interact with each other.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So really have to wait until 4 am PDT to make a character on Excalibur? Ugh. Is there some website that'll tell me when it opens?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

So really have to wait until 4 am PDT to make a character on Excalibur? Ugh. Is there some website that'll tell me when it opens?

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/80cd4583bf743600105b947d6906d0909189e479

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

astrologian quests own

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Sure, if you ignore all the terrible ones.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Time to start farming T9.

Peakay
Jun 29, 2013

Stealthy Simian of Trickery
I just started playing four days ago and I got a level 33 dragoon, does any anyone here play on Cactuar? I couldn't get on Excalibur since it's always full. I haven't really played any MMOs but drat this is fun so far.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There's a few goons on Cactuar and I don't want to be a dick and steal dudes they can play with, but Excalibur is worth the wait. You can get in on an early morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Robo Reagan posted:

There's a few goons on Cactuar and I don't want to be a dick and steal dudes they can play with, but Excalibur is worth the wait. You can get in on an early morning.

:agreed:

<5 minute DPS queues are amazing. AMAZING.

• Locked thread