Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The FOD never comes out the other side. Ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Rick_Hunter posted:

You mean you didn't think 'Classic fencing response' ?

So the video didn't really explain it nor did the comments: Why is that the sound a turbine engineer doesn't want to hear? Is it the sound of a screw getting stuck? I reckon that's a much better sound than hearing an activated turbine explode in your face when it encounters a screw. :confused:

You don't want any debris in your turbine. You probably also don't want to dent any of the internals, even by a little bit. I'm only guessing, I'm no turbine engineer, but the above posts about the engine that blow up, because some rather minor issues with an "abrasion" of some sorts.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
When poo poo is spinning at tens of thousands of rpm, the stress on the parts is immense. Any small defect (like a dent) with cause a local increase in stress and will likely be the cause of failure.

Basically, every "ding" you hear is potentially destructive to the engine.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

hackbunny posted:

not rock, it's concrete fenceposts. it can bend and crack like that without snapping because it has a core of rebar

it's the roof. this stuff:

still absolutely everywhere in Italy

I have an asbestos roof on a 10k sq foot building on some land I own in Italy. It is still in good shape luckily. I feel like I should probably replace it sooner than later as it can only get more expensive to do so.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Has anyone attempted or theorized a sort of fission-powered turbine? I don't mean like the Project Pluto ramjet, I mean something involving an aerosol suspension of a fissile substance that is compressed to critical mass by the engine cycle. This would obviously be extremely deadly, but would it work?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Uthor posted:

When poo poo is spinning at tens of thousands of rpm, the stress on the parts is immense. Any small defect (like a dent) with cause a local increase in stress and will likely be the cause of failure.

Got it. Ideal is hearing '............ *thump* '

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

VectorSigma posted:

Has anyone attempted or theorized a sort of fission-powered turbine? I don't mean like the Project Pluto ramjet, I mean something involving an aerosol suspension of a fissile substance that is compressed to critical mass by the engine cycle. This would obviously be extremely deadly, but would it work?

Not exactly what you're asking for, but close. And they actually built and tested it.

HTRE-3

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

MrYenko posted:

Not exactly what you're asking for, but close. And they actually built and tested it.

HTRE-3

Looks like a robot sitting on the toilet.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Uthor posted:

And that's exactly what happened with the F-106B over Lake Superior. A minor manufacturing flaw in a single turbine blade caused a small abrasion on it. It reduced the lifespan of the blade enough that it snapped during operation, and that tiny little sliver broke off the next blade it hit, which broke off the next blade, and so on in a cataclysmic domino effect that caused the entire turbine to shred itself and blast through the engine in 1/4 of a second.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Looks like a robot sitting on the toilet.

The Hman
Jan 6, 2015

But what would the sign on the bathroom door have a picture of?

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

The Hman posted:

A toilet, duh.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Hman posted:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

MrYenko posted:

HTRE-3
Looks like a pod racer.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

MrYenko posted:

HTRE-3

looks like our old friend discovered some new parts

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

hello porker

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

_________/

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Russian military procurement finest and least corrupt in all civilised world. if anyone tells you otherwise, report them to me and i'll pay the army to have them whacked.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

chitoryu12 posted:

So I found that I actually still had the video I took of Ickes speaking in my Dropbox and I pulled it up to remind myself of the details. Don't worry, the F-106s weren't carrying the nuclear rocket; the Genies were kept locked up until they were needed, which obviously never happened. Wikipedia does have a picture of an F-106 firing an inert version!

The incident was in 1975 with two-seater training Delta Darts over Lake Superior. I'll transcribe some of it for you here.

This reminds me of the Cornfield Bomber, which is only tenuously on-topic so I'll just post the Wikipedia link.

My dad worked with the QF-106s in the early 90s and I've always thought those jets were extra neat.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

lol the tank crewman ducking into his turret

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Did the warhead pop out right at the end there?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Rick_Hunter posted:

You mean you didn't think 'Classic fencing response' ?

So the video didn't really explain it nor did the comments: Why is that the sound a turbine engineer doesn't want to hear? Is it the sound of a screw getting stuck? I reckon that's a much better sound than hearing an activated turbine explode in your face when it encounters a screw. :confused:

No it's true, you never want to hear the Filmation Logo coming from a jet engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9-FhELeX9M

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Gentwise posted:

To be fair, questionable locations of support beams probably contributed to plenty of the stuff in this thread.

Speaking of support beams, during the climax of the hoverboard chase in Back To The Future II, they aimed the stuntpeople wrong and the stuntwoman on the left hits a pillar outside the clocktower/courthouse, which probably wasn't pleasant but also caused her to lose all forward momentum and miss the landing pad. They kept the take too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkyLnWm1iCs&t=155s

Cheryl Wheeler A.K.A. The stuntwoman in question posted:

The grand finale involved the bad guys (us) spinning out of control over a large pond, and crashing through a giant courthouse window. The grand finale was filmed separately and much time and planning had gone into the preparation of the stunt. There were four of us crashing through the window, and a cherry picker had pulled us back from the impact point approximately 50 or 60 feet. We were picked up at the hip, and our overhead wires were attached to a single arbor. When the cherry picker released us, we all swung towards the giant window with two white pillars on either side of it.

As we traveled towards the window, we started listing to the left. I was on the far left to begin with, so when we started listing to the left, I realized that I was going to hit the left pillar. Cabled, with no control and nowhere to go, I simply brought my knees and feet up and tried to soften the blow of the pillar when I hit it. As I slammed into the pillar, stopping all my forward momentum, I hoped and prayed that the special effects man with his finger on the release button saw what happened to me!

Unfortunately, all 4 of us were on the same release button, and as the other stunt people swung into the giant, candy-glass paned window, the special effects man didn’t see that I had hit the pillar and released all of us at the same time. Unfortunately, I was dangling next to the pillar outside, 20 feet above the concrete! As I dropped, my life flashed before my eyes. I just knew I was too high up to survive the fall…

Miraculously, I woke up, still on the set and strapped to a board that immobilized my neck, back and legs. The talented on-set paramedics had revived me. I suffered a severe concussion and broke several bones in my face and right arm. My facial plate and brow bone were broken, as well as my right hand and wrist. The canvas flying harness custom made for Michael J. Fox saved me from breaking my back and/or hips. I was hospitalized for several weeks, and over the course of a year, endured four reconstructive surgeries to my face and arm. The following year I endured one more surgery to my jaw, an excruciating 8 hour surgery that ended with me having my jaw wired shut for 6 long weeks.
I hadn't noticed until I wrote this but, unless they put a morbid attention to detail into a second shot of the gang falling inside the courthouse, you can actually see her hit the concrete outside after they drop her.

Here's an article about all the too-familiar "It'll be fine" bullshit that went into such an obviously dangerous stunt.
http://io9.com/the-hoverboard-scene-in-back-to-the-future-2-nearly-kil-1713294885

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Cat Hatter posted:

I hadn't noticed until I wrote this but, unless they put a morbid attention to detail into a second shot of the gang falling inside the courthouse, you can actually see her hit the concrete outside after they drop her.

:stare:

Yeah that looks real. The ground is actually visible, if it was a staged landing onto a mat I'd imagine it'd be cut off like it is inside.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, that might be the real stuntwoman falling in there. Since it costs a good deal to do big stunts like this and they'd need to completely rebuild the window for any reshoots, they probably put one or two cameras inside as well to capture them crashing through and falling (since the stuntwoman suffered her major injuries from being released, so they didn't just swing the group through and then reshoot their landing on a new take indoors). So you're likely seeing not only her impact on the pillar, but also her body landing on the concrete. You can see how the stuntmen who landed properly inside land outside the camera frame so they wouldn't need to cut away to an impact.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
That's about what I was thinking. Marty's "holy poo poo" perfectly sums up that scene.

Queen Gnome
Jul 30, 2006

Her Lawnliness
Man becomes hay bale is still one of the funniest drat things, but it's gotta be dangerous?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4kJtEcALA4

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
If by 'dangerous', you mean 'fake'? Then yes.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Queen Gnome posted:

Man becomes hay bale is still one of the funniest drat things, but it's gotta be dangerous?

I'm guessing you've never seen the inside of a hay baler and/or have no idea how a baler works. There's all sorts of knives and pokey bits rotating around inside and if someone tried getting inside they would both be seriously injured and the baler would break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BVtirYc6Pc

Craptacular fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 5, 2015

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Craptacular posted:

I'm guessing you've never seen the inside of a hay baler and/or have no idea how a baler works. There's all sorts of knives and pokey bits rotating around inside and if someone tried getting inside they would both be seriously injured and the baler would break.

Giant-rear end needles too.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Thiiiiiiiiink abooooooowwwwtt thiissss :stonklol:

Never forget North Bus Duct 1992-2012

Queen Gnome
Jul 30, 2006

Her Lawnliness

Craptacular posted:

I have not :shobon:. A sad thing for someone who grew up in the countryside of the Midwest! Though when I have seen balers in the field, none of them had a chute on the end like the one in the fake video.

Now I want a hay bale costume.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
http://www.wltx.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/07/05/man-dies-fireworks-head/29734471/

quote:

CALAIS, Maine - One young Maine man is dead after he put a fireworks mortar on his head and set it off, according to officials.
Devon Staples, 22, died instantly, said Maine Public Safety Spokesperson Steve McCausland.

McCausland says Staples had been drinking with friends at a home in Calais, Maine, Saturday night. The incident occurred at approximately 10 p.m. EST.
Officials say this is the first death attributed to fireworks since Maine legalized them two years ago.

Investigators said there were non-fatal injuries from private fireworks incidents in the Maine towns of Friendship, Lebanon, Jefferson, Woodstock and a separate incident in Calais. McCausland said those injuries consisted of burns and eye injuries.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Do you think this is a polite way of saying his head exploded?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I wonder if his friends encouraged him to put the mortar bomb on his head or not.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Queen Gnome posted:

Though when I have seen balers in the field, none of them had a chute on the end like the one in the fake video.

I worked summers on my grandparent's farm during junior high and high school, and they had exactly the same John Deere baler in the previous video I linked, except it had a chute on the end that dropped the bales on the ground like in your video. I didn't get to bale much, I mainly got to ride on the back of a flatbed truck and stack bales picked up off the ground by a bale loader, like in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECLOU3Z-xWs

I would have killed for something that kicked the finished bales direct from the baler up into a trailer like in the first video I linked, but I imagine removing them from the trailer would have been a lot more difficult and dangerous because they wouldn't have been stacked neatly.

Craptacular fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 5, 2015

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I'm really curious what kind of mortar this was, whether it malfunctioned, and what his injuries were. I can't imagine any of the fireworks I can buy commercially, even the illegal ones from the Indian reservation, would have enough recoil force to cause more than a headache unless the mortar exploded in the tube.

Edit: The Journal of Pyrotechnics investigated mortar firework recoil, as far as I can tell the largest commercially sold mortars are 3" so yeah this should not have been instantly fatal unless he had a professional firework or it failed, or both. But either of those are easily possible!

Alereon fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 5, 2015

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Someone didn't have the proper PPE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Three-Phase posted:

Thiiiiiiiiink abooooooowwwwtt thiissss :stonklol:

Never forget North Bus Duct 1992-2012

Workplace safety was WAY different in the 60's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMWTEyYV7CA

• Locked thread