Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

cams posted:

Oh cool, thanks for answering my question!

Second question, what are the lowest level quests in Skellige? Trying to knock out every quest before they go grey, wondering when I need to go to Skellige to make sure.

What the other poster is saying is that it doesn't matter if it's grey or not and you'd be unecessarily stressing out to go to these places and do the quests before they go grey.
I went to skellige for the first time at level 25 and there was only one quest (the tower that appeared from nowhere) that was too high level for me to do right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Helith posted:

real recognisable expressions conveying emotional states.

yeah

"welcome !! got some good things on sale :)"

"no thanks how 'bout some gwent"

":geno:"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

This game looks pretty impressive. So far I can manage a solid outdoor FPS of 45-50 FPS on medium-high settings on my i5-4570 + GTX 760, which surprised me since I heard it's taxing on all but the best systems. For those with a similar setup, are there any graphics options I could tweak that would give me better performance without too much of a hit visually? I noticed the TressFX stuff tends to be a huge performance hit for not much gain in return, as one example.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Yes, I play gwent, but only for high stakes.

* Geralt puts nothing on the line

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

oddium posted:

yeah

"welcome !! got some good things on sale :)"

"no thanks how 'bout some gwent"

":geno:"
The Drummond blacksmith who just lost his son at sea is my favorite instance of this.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

It's funny how [Right Hook] is a generally no-consequence option in a Bioware game, but in W3 it's actually a tough decision whether or not to punch that corpse collector for insulting Priscilla. Props to whatever magnificent bastard made that a timed decision.

Moridin920 posted:

I love big cities in RPG games but more often than not we get tiny rear end Skyrim cities with 20 NPCs so Novigrad was refreshing as gently caress for me.
When I finally got to Novigrad, I spent about an hour just running around. The day to night transition there is dope as hell.

Palpek posted:

It seems you haven't played LA Noire then. I know it was only possible because they scanned the actors' faces 1:1 but it's a game where you DO see the whole face deformed when they yawn and a thousand emotions still not being shown in games all those years after the game's release. It's almost hypnotic to just watch NPCs being idle in that game.
As amazing as it was, it felt like it was a brute force solution technology-wise considering it was kind of low res and WYSIWYG.

Besides, I didn't need no fancy face scanning tech to see that Yen is utterly crushed when you dump her after the djinn's spell is lifted oh god now I feel like a monster.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

exquisite tea posted:

This game looks pretty impressive. So far I can manage a solid outdoor FPS of 45-50 FPS on medium-high settings on my i5-4570 + GTX 760, which surprised me since I heard it's taxing on all but the best systems. For those with a similar setup, are there any graphics options I could tweak that would give me better performance without too much of a hit visually? I noticed the TressFX stuff tends to be a huge performance hit for not much gain in return, as one example.
Hair effects and to a lesser extent foliage view distance, foliage density, and shadow quality are the biggest hits roughly in that order. Going from Ultra to High for the last three helped keep things above 60fps all the time (certain cutscenes excluded) on my 970. Also motion blur is off because I never like motion blur effects.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I love all the little side humor in this game too. From stuff like Hattori offering a dumpling to the xenovox "Think it will catch on?" line. Also, probably not readily recognizable by Americans, but the golem receipt from Jehuda Loew and Apprentices was very clever.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Spite posted:

I've come to the conclusion I wish there was no minimap and that there was a compass overlay like Batman or the Elder Scrolls games. And all games like this really need an in-game breadcrumb trail for directions.

I spend an embarrassing amount of time looking at the minimap while heading towards a marker.

As of 1.06 you can completely disable the HUD. You can play as if you're just watching Geralt with no information overlay at all. If you want.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Palpek posted:

It seems you haven't played LA Noire then.

I have, but isn't not "real time" facial animation, it's all prerecorded, so it doesn't really count. When working from complete scratch like 99.99% of every other game out there, then Half-Life 2 is the watermark. L.A. Noire is playing a whole other ball game, even twenty years from now games as a whole won't be able to touch it, unless they employ the same techniques or come up with another way to motion capture actor's faces into games.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Finished the game at 76 hours, having done most of the quests I had come across that did not involve Gwent, and one level 2 quest (Dwarven Documents) which I didn't encounter until I was level 20.

All in all, best new game I have played this year. Very happy to have paid full price for it, something I can't say about some games. It scratched every itch. I only have a few problems.

1) The final sequence of the game was totally borked for me. The wizardy guy you fight with Ciri and Geralt? When I got to the Geralt section, he refused to move an inch so it consisted of me just swinging at a dude who stood and took it. The cutscene after Eredin, where you think A'vallach has betrayed you broke too, and Geralt was constantly having splash effects spawn from him, even out of water. After that cutscene, Yen refused to move to the ending, so it ended up being give minutes of her telling me that we need to stick together from 600 yards away. These bugs common? They seem really deflating and unfortunate for the ending sequence of the game. They might not affect my enjoyment of the game, but I'm sure some out there won't be happy if that happened to them. Considering I had virtually no bugs all game, this was quite surprising really.

2) I couldn't upgrade the basic armour set. I kept it with me the whole game, alongside my silver sword, Wolf, Hjalmar's Steel Sword, the one Crach gives you and basically any reward sword from someone Geralt would care about. I hoped I could do something with them, like make a super sword, or an upgraded base set, but no dice. They just ended up being deadweights. I would have appreciated being able to do that.

3) Somewhere to dump things down that you consider having sentimental value. Maybe put a dude in each map who just acts as a courier who will just send stuff you want to keep but don't want to carry to Geralt's room in Kaer Morhen. I know this isn't Skyrim, where you have a house in every town to dump poo poo, but in games I always like to keep things with sentimental value. I also tend to pick one junk item in every game and collect them whenever I see them. In Fallout it is cigarettes, in this it was pipes and dolls. I would've loved being able to send some of those useless swords somewhere to keep so I could continue carrying all of my valuable dolls and pipes.

4) Not enough Ronvid. There could have been sooooo much more done with Ronvid, with him coming back with increasingly dumb challenges or upped odds. I could have fought Ronvid 10 times, and was saddened when I killed him. It would be great if his obsession with Maid Bilberry was eventually replaced by an obsession with beating Geralt.

5) What happens with Priscilla? After her questline ends, I never see her again. Considering she was lined up as someone important to Dandelion, I would have expected to see her again. Only time I noticed a lack of follow up.

6) Arena. I helped one become usable, so why do I only get to use it once?

7) Not enough Voorhis. I loved that guy. I need to see more of him. I was so disappointed with the siege of Kaer Morhen when I wasn't allowed to invite him along. I mean, the siege was great regardless, but I don't get why I couldn't take him with me. I know the emperor wanted to send along a regiment, but why couldn't I speak to just Voorhis and convince him to come along on his own? He was always astoundingly friendly to Geralt, so I don't see any bad blood or trust issues between them, and you end up taking Ciri to the Emperor after the siege anyway. So why not just include him as an option there? This is doubly so, since reading the Wikia to find out if he is someone I was supposed to know before this game I found out that he is a major character going forwards.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"
This is driving me loving mad. I have to do everything. I'm at 40 hours and I'm still loving around Velen doing level 10 poo poo for peasants. And I've had the game for, like, a week. Thank I'm on vacation. And if you'd asked me if I played videogames a fortnight ago I would have said, "Well, I have a PS4, but it's 99% for Netflix and Plex."

There is just too much stuff to do, and it's all interesting and fun. This game is an astonishing piece of work.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

I mean, can we just all meditate for a second on the fact that something this rich, engrossing, and intellectually rewarding was made for roughly the same amount of money as it cost to make Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Are you suggesting that Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 is anything less than perfection?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

cams posted:

Are White Orchard, the Royal Palace, Velen, Novigrad, Skellige Isles, and Kaer Morhen really the only areas in the game? Velen is gigantic but still and Skellige is pretty big, but I kinda expected more.

Yes, but I'd be surprised if you finish the game and are still thinking it isn't huge.

cams posted:

What are the lowest level quests in Skellige? Trying to knock out every quest before they go grey, wondering when I need to go to Skellige to make sure.

Like someone else said I think they start about level 10/12. I would not stress about min/maxing your XP by trying to finish everything before they go grey, it won't make much difference in the end. The main quest line dumps huge piles of XP on you.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

MoraleHazard posted:

I love all the little side humor in this game too. From stuff like Hattori offering a dumpling

I just kept eating and eating and eating his dumplings

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Speaking of that, there are at least three explicit Tarantino references.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

Dominoes posted:

Speaking of that, there are at least three explicit Tarantino references.

The character Hattori Hanzo in Kill Bill is itself a reference to Kazuo Koike's Path of the Assassin, which draws on the historical fact of a guy called Hattori Hanzo being in service to Tokugawa Ieyasu, so I'm not sure if you can call use of the name itself a Tarantino reference.

:goonsay:

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

In this game, Hattori is a blacksmith. In Kill Bill, Hattori is also a blacksmith, who is also the descendant of the ninja assassin popularized in the Japanese television series "Kage No Gundan", which is also a show that Tarantino watched on Hawaiian television growing up, starring Sonny Chiba. This fan appreciation led to him casting Sonny Chiba in the role years later. It's definitely a Tarantino reference.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 4, 2015

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

I was totally being 100% super-serious so thank you very much for setting that straight.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Okay, so I realized I can't craft with looted/purchased runestones. So is a glitch that will be fixed at some point, or a feature?

Also, what are some good skill sets people have? Now that I'm a little stronger, Quen doesn't seem as useful, and the exploding thing only knocks down low level wolves. Same thing with full power Aard. Potions skills are pretty good, though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Axii is a really useful sign.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

nickmeister posted:

Okay, so I realized I can't craft with looted/purchased runestones. So is a glitch that will be fixed at some point, or a feature?

Also, what are some good skill sets people have? Now that I'm a little stronger, Quen doesn't seem as useful, and the exploding thing only knocks down low level wolves. Same thing with full power Aard. Potions skills are pretty good, though.
At the beginning, signs are grossly overpowered. At the end, I find them almost completely useless in favor of potions and combat skills (except Quen for making it harder for enemies to interrupt Whirl). Having other things to spend stamina on once you get Whirl, Rend, or Archgriffin decoction doesn't help, either. The only mandatory skill I think is Acquired Tolerance. More than doubling your max toxicity means you can run two decoctions, and Heightened Tolerance lets you run two decoctions and a ton of potions for good measure.

E: Also I still use Axii.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Accordion Man posted:

Axii is a really useful sign.

yeah it stuns tougher monsters really well

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
It seems like the Igni "melt armor" is pretty good?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Igni flamethrower is incredibly broken, to the point where I stopped using it because it trivialized any fight where the target was vulnerable to igni. I bet you could do a witcher contract 15 levels above you with just that. They should probably make it not do a percentage of max hp.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
You can absolutely do Witcher contracts 15 levels above of you with it, because I did just that. Igni is probably the best spell in the game when fully levelled. It instantly stunlocks enemies, and deals heavy damage over time. Your stamina will recover before the stun dies out too.

I ended up ditching it because it removed all challenge, and switched over to using Quen.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yrden is a pretty fun alternate because it doesn't kill things by itself, you can plop down a bunch of them, and you get to swordfight too.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

quen owns because geralt can do his star wars kid twirl uninterrupted and there's little fireworks

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Yeah alt-Yrden is great, it's a little lightning turret that does decent damage and interrupts. Particularly useful against flyers but combos well with most anything. Don't forget you can drop regular slowdown Yrden at the same time.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

One thing that's weird is you're supposed to be able to make 2 alt-yrden turrets, but I could only ever make one. So that part might be broken. (I could still make 4 regular ones.)

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Axii is quite good. It's basically a license to murder humans, it's useful in conversation with the right spec, and it stuns most monsters.

I used Quen mostly to spam Whirl more effectively.

The rest were situational. Aard can knock flying poo poo out of the sky, Igni is useful against certain types of monsters, etc.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I almost always use axii in conversations. So far in everything but the canal sins quest on the torturer because gently caress that guy

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 356 days!

Another Person posted:

5) What happens with Priscilla? After her questline ends, I never see her again. Considering she was lined up as someone important to Dandelion, I would have expected to see her again. Only time I noticed a lack of follow up.

she never moves from the last place you saw her

cams
Mar 28, 2003

couple questions

1) are the respec potions in limited supply? got to my first one in that big city place, but the merchant only sold one. if i buy and use it, will he restock? i expect to be dropping 95% of my gold on respecs cause different builds are fun

2) kind of the same question but with alcoholest. it seems like the crafting ingredients are kind of hard to find for it, and i worry about running out at some point. do merchants that sell alcoholest restock on it?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

cams posted:

2) kind of the same question but with alcoholest. it seems like the crafting ingredients are kind of hard to find for it, and i worry about running out at some point. do merchants that sell alcoholest restock on it?
The game never stops throwing alcohest and dwarven spirit at you if you loot barrels and stuff, you don't have to buy them at all.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

So, I just banged Keira. Is that gonna mess up the two main romance options I see being discussed?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

DotyManX posted:

Just recently finished the game, I never played the other 2 but got it based on SA praise, and it may be my new favorite game of all time, just really really well done in my opinion. I am a big Dragon Age fan and I hope Bioware is taking some notes on Wild Hunt because as someone in the thread said it just shits all over Inquisition, and I liked Inquisition.

Also this:

What the gently caress wash your loving face ughh :barf:

Gonkish posted:

Axii is quite good. It's basically a license to murder humans, it's useful in conversation with the right spec, and it stuns most monsters.

I used Quen mostly to spam Whirl more effectively.

The rest were situational. Aard can knock flying poo poo out of the sky, Igni is useful against certain types of monsters, etc.

It sucks the best build is basically a battlemage from Any RPG.

Day Man posted:

So, I just banged Keira. Is that gonna mess up the two main romance options I see being discussed?

That's a part of the quest line. I don't think you can avoid doing it to her because of how she blatantly uses it to use Geralt. No, it shouldn't because you don't have any options of further romancin'.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 4, 2015

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Day Man posted:

Only the Triss and Yen romances affect each other. Other than that you can sleep around freely.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Accordion Man posted:

The game never stops throwing alcohest and dwarven spirit at you if you loot barrels and stuff, you don't have to buy them at all.
oh jeez i didn't realize dwarven spirit also refilled potion stuff, thought it was just alcoholest. i will be much more liberal with my Swallow use now, thank you very much.