Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
The latest edition of Aslains ModPack now has an option where it will enable replays for you, no more fiddling with config files by hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

TheDemon posted:

Uh

Are the low tier BBs supposed to be fun? I had a great time with the Kawachi and South Carolina, and I just got out of a 90.8k AP, 13.7k HE, 9.4k fires, 8.6k secondaries game with my Myogi for 1876 base exp.

I mean, dodging torps is annoying but if you manage it well enough, Dreadnought awaits.

I'm in the same boat - I just started playing yesterday and the South Carolina is the funnest ship I own.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

What was every mouth breather typing into chat at the start of every battle all through beta?
Poi?

Whatever meme that is.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Poil posted:

Poi?

Whatever meme that is.
http://kancolle.wikia.com/wiki/Yuudachi

Mouth breathers are actually mouth breathing weeaboo. Basically if you see someone typing poi, kill it with fire.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Poil posted:

Poi?

Whatever meme that is.

It's anime nonsense. The people who like anime that much tend to have a lot of money and a willingness to throw it at anything Japanese, which is partly why Japan was first. Weeaboos are everywhere, even Russia.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

The Locator posted:

I don't understand why they have pulled all the premiums from the in-game store for both Japan and the US. What in the hell am I supposed to use my gold for when there is nothing in the game to buy with it? Wasn't that the point of having buy gold in pre-order stuff, so that I could use it to buy stuff?

This is my problem. I bought gold for either the Atago or Atlanta last weekend and they pulled them before I could decide. I submitted a ticket on Monday to get my money back and they haven't responded after almost a week.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Poi is stupid, but that doesn't mean we need to be dumb too.

IJN vs US is the iconic WW2 matchup for ships, so that was obviously going to be the first two nations. Complaining that the Royal Navy is last is legitimate, but complaining about it not being one of the first two nations is nothing more than whining. I mean...

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

The part that really doesn't make sense is the IJN. They obviously don't give a poo poo for historical accuracy, and I'm sure they would draw more customers with either the Kriegsmarine or the RN.

and then blaming it on anime is loving retarded. Was the fact that they'd get boosted sales due to other stuff convenient? Sure. Was it probably going to be that matchup regardless? Almost certainly.

Sure, Royal Navy vs. Kaiserliche Marine was the iconic matchup of WW1, but that did not even remotely hold true for the second, and a huge portion of the Kriegsmarine would be paper designs, which would be a terrible idea for one of the first nations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
God, the Bismarck is going to be a mess. How low in the IJN/USA trees do you have to go to find 8x14"?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Well, with the impressive glut of newbies rolling in, Tier 3 matches are amazing right now. Furious seal clubbers getting torped by their :shobon: DD newbies, people trying to peek around mountains like in WoT, and suicidal ships throwing themselves into the waiting arms of the enemy. Its basically a coinflip who will win, but if you were putting off ranking up your BB, now is the best time for it. Citadel hits a plenty, bad DDs who sometimes cut throttle to try and torp you (its hilarious), and stationary ships asking for a full broadside. I've had a lot of fun games in the South Carolina, and there's no sky cancer to worry about either.

...perhaps wargaming should just remove carriers, the game might end up being more fun that way.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

wdarkk posted:

God, the Bismarck is going to be a mess. How low in the IJN/USA trees do you have to go to find 8x14"?
Tier 5 (Kongo is 4x2, New York is 5x2).

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
I cannot loving get wins today.

Pubbies are just horrible on my team or some bullshit happens like the matchmaker being an rear end. Five hours of playtime and four wins.

Four.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 4, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

wdarkk posted:

It's 15"s, not 14"s.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

wdarkk posted:

The entire BB line's going to be a mess. I'm pretty sure they've stated that Bismarck is going to be a Tier 8, so who know how they're remotely going to balance it having both less guns and smaller guns than its equivalents at that tier. Going off of that, Nazi Germany's only other modern battleship, Scharnhorst, will probably be Tier 7. Sharnhorst carries 11" guns. There's not a single other battleship in the game with guns that small. I suppose they could use the paper plans to give it 15" guns as one of its refits, but those are still smaller than equivalents, not even counting the grind to get to them. Nothing real above those two, and only WW1 stuff before.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Insert name here posted:

Tier 5 (Kongo is 4x2, New York is 5x2).

That was a rhetorical question. What I'm saying is that the Bismarck is massively overrated compared to ships from real navies.

Also holy poo poo there are some bad Atlanta drivers out there. Yes sail all the way into my Toros in a perfectly straight line please.

I was poking around on YouTube and saw some videos of the Ibuki with the BB Damage Control heal. What is up with that?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Bismarck should be tier 8, it's comparable in era to the North Carolina

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Hazdoc posted:

people trying to peek around mountains like in WoT

I haven't yet seen anyone trying to actually side scrape, but I'm sure that's because I'm not looking hard enough.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

wdarkk posted:

That was a rhetorical question. What I'm saying is that the Bismarck is massively overrated compared to ships from real navies.

Also holy poo poo there are some bad Atlanta drivers out there. Yes sail all the way into my Toros in a perfectly straight line please.

I was poking around on YouTube and saw some videos of the Ibuki with the BB Damage Control heal. What is up with that?
One of the beta patches gave tier 9 and 10 cruisers a limited charge version of the BB heal. I can't remember if it was one or two charges. In either case, it will be affected by Superintendent now so cruisers get crazy utility out of that skill. Extra use of a plane, AA barrage/sonar, and the heal.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
I think they gave some cruisers smoke, too. Or was that only the Kitakami?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Bismark's guns were 15inch and penetration depends on more than purely diameter anyway. The ship had excellent gunnery accuracy and while its belt was not actually thicker than most other battleships it had more coverage and an excellent layout that meant most shells that managed to penetrate the belt would hit a slopped secondary plate and be denied entry to the citadel. It was not the amazing ship the fan boys think it is (Of course it didn't sink from battleship fire, but the entire ship was a wreck and nothing worked anymore, it was done and its armor couldn't save it) but it's certainly worth being a tier 8.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Hazdoc posted:

I think they gave some cruisers smoke, too. Or was that only the Kitakami?
The alpha tester reward ship Iwaki Alpha and the removed Kitakami, yeah. I wonder if they will ever bring the Kitakami back. The Atago is superior in pretty much every way, but I always got a kick out of watching people blunder into their torp spam. Plus they are glorified Kumas so easy to one salvo with pretty much anything.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Hazdoc posted:

Well, with the impressive glut of newbies rolling in, Tier 3 matches are amazing right now. Furious seal clubbers getting torped by their :shobon: DD newbies, people trying to peek around mountains like in WoT, and suicidal ships throwing themselves into the waiting arms of the enemy. Its basically a coinflip who will win, but if you were putting off ranking up your BB, now is the best time for it. Citadel hits a plenty, bad DDs who sometimes cut throttle to try and torp you (its hilarious), and stationary ships asking for a full broadside. I've had a lot of fun games in the South Carolina, and there's no sky cancer to worry about either.

...perhaps wargaming should just remove carriers, the game might end up being more fun that way.

I don't know what you mean, i've been getting a 85%-90% win rate at tier 2 and 3 in cruisers. Maybe EU is different but a well played St Louis can just wreck an entire team as long as you use cover and let your team mates be bait/damage sponges.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

Bismark's guns were 15inch and penetration depends on more than purely diameter anyway. The ship had excellent gunnery accuracy and while its belt was not actually thicker than most other battleships it had more coverage and an excellent layout that meant most shells that managed to penetrate the belt would hit a slopped secondary plate and be denied entry to the citadel. It was not the amazing ship the fan boys think it is (Of course it didn't sink from battleship fire, but the entire ship was a wreck and nothing worked anymore, it was done and its armor couldn't save it) but it's certainly worth being a tier 8.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3705704&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=58#post443426595

also this thread if you aren't Marwic

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/52-sovetsky-soyuz/#entry848914

Vorkosigan fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 4, 2015

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I like how they force you to fight bots for a few games. My first WoWS match

I may like this game.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

grrarg posted:

One of the beta patches gave tier 9 and 10 cruisers a limited charge version of the BB heal. I can't remember if it was one or two charges. In either case, it will be affected by Superintendent now so cruisers get crazy utility out of that skill. Extra use of a plane, AA barrage/sonar, and the heal.

AA/Sonar don't seem to have charges at all.

Edit: The Bismarck is a perfect metaphor for Nazi Germany.

1. Get incredibly lucky against one of your two principal opponents.
2. Be overrated massively by both sides.
3. Get subtly crippled by bombing.
4. Go down in an orgy of violence in every direction.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 4, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Friendly reminder that the Bismarck got rendered unable to fire back by a ship fifteen years her elder in under an hour, which is faster than the literally immobile ships at Mers-el-Kebir

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Not to mention that her rudder got jammed by an obsolete biplane.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

El Disco posted:

Not to mention that her rudder got jammed by an obsolete biplane.

Germany didn't invest in the premium repair party consumable.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Lord Koth posted:

The entire BB line's going to be a mess. I'm pretty sure they've stated that Bismarck is going to be a Tier 8, so who know how they're remotely going to balance it having both less guns and smaller guns than its equivalents at that tier. Going off of that, Nazi Germany's only other modern battleship, Scharnhorst, will probably be Tier 7. Sharnhorst carries 11" guns. There's not a single other battleship in the game with guns that small. I suppose they could use the paper plans to give it 15" guns as one of its refits, but those are still smaller than equivalents, not even counting the grind to get to them. Nothing real above those two, and only WW1 stuff before.

Between the two Nazi battleship classes, Plan Z napkin ships and calling the Panzerschiffe battleships because that's right up Wargaming's alley I think you could manage a tree. In with the WWI ships you have some decent candidates too, there's at least a battleship on par with Nagato and tier 5 and tier 6 battlecruisers.
I don't know how you'd manage the higher tiers, but I think there's room for three battleship lines up to tier 6-7 without getting too crazy. It'd still be messy.

The real mess is their carriers though. :laffo:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

James Garfield posted:

The real mess is their carriers though. :laffo:
Given how they managed to gently caress up (pre-Essex) US CVs when they introduced IJN CVs in order to differentiate the two lines I'm not looking forward to whatever bullshit they decide to add to the next CV tree in the name of "faction flavour".

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Insert name here posted:

Given how they managed to gently caress up (pre-Essex) US CVs when they introduced IJN CVs in order to differentiate the two lines I'm not looking forward to whatever bullshit they decide to add to the next CV tree in the name of "faction flavour".

It's gonna be hard to balance an air wing comprised entirely of lumber.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

So the sims is pretty alright if you just dont try to run in and torp people.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Sims is alright if you shoot torps around corner, kill other destroyers or sit at max range shooting. It's just not as deadly as other destroyers with longer torpedo range.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

James Garfield posted:

I don't know how you'd manage the higher tiers, but I think there's room for three battleship lines up to tier 6-7 without getting too crazy. It'd still be messy.

Somewhere some one said that after Bismark it would be the H ships, with the last one being the 39? or 40? if it could not compete with the much later T10 battleships

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
I haven't researched this game that much but I've been having fun with it the past few days. Is there going to be any kind of progression wipe when it leaves beta or is it safe to grind away?

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

No more wipes. Grind away.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
I've come to the conclusion that I have the worst loving luck in this game.

Burn constantly, or lose steering/engine when in destroyer every other hit, someone rams me, matchmaker stacks destroyers or carriers on enemy team, or otherwise somehow pull losses out of wins.

When I'm in a Japanese carrier, its fighters get murdered by an American carrier's. When I'm in an American carrier, its fighters get murdered by a Japanese carrier's. Sigh.

Alternatively, I land 20 HE hits on a carrier and do neither significant damage nor catch him on fire so he launches planes and I can't maneuver enough to deal with two carriers' worth. Which just happened because manual drops dump torps basically on top of my boat...

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 5, 2015

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006
Carrier question: once every ten games or so, I'll run into someone that can have their torpedo planes drop in a wave instead of the normal parallel drop. It's almost like the planes are turning as they drop or maybe dropping at the same point sequentially.

Err, it's hard to describe, but it seems like something that'd be really useful for getting every torpedo to hit a stationary target or form a better spread vs. DDs. I've never been able to reproduce it while playing carriers, though. Is it something that you can force by combining manual drop with other commands?

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010

This game is alright.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

So uh which Tier 4 skill is best for Japanese Cruisers? I feel like I really, really use HE a lot since I'm shooting at DDs a fair amount. Heck I've never been able to get good at getting Citadels at all. On the other hand "More AA" and "not needing to blow repair the instant your stern gets hit" sound good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

DoubleWelp posted:

This game is alright.

Citadels, man. Citadels.

The best part of my last kill (on a Kuma) is that I called it on Skype right as he was turning, "Watch me make this Kuma disappear" as I load AP, and blammo, quad citadel for a one-shot kill.