Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ufarn
May 30, 2009
I thought that was about the TN clerks who resigned, because they didn't want to certify any same-sex marriages.

There're a lot of Conservative tears these days, aren't there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, “I’m going to sit down and have some pie.” ~ Hillary Clinton, on being asked about Donald Trump.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Have a link for the Wisconsin super secret meetings, also don't ask questions law? Google is returning legislative documents about an open meeting law.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Have a link for the Wisconsin super secret meetings, also don't ask questions law? Google is returning legislative documents about an open meeting law.

They backed down

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_28430129/backlash-over-wisconsin-gop-plan-tighten-open-records

quote:

MADISON, Wis. (AP) — Opposition mounted Friday to a surprise Republican budget measure that would exempt from Wisconsin open records laws nearly everything created by state and local government officials, including drafts of legislation and communications with staff.

The 24-page measure passed late Thursday night in the state's budget committee on a 12-4 vote with only Republicans voting for it. Democrats on the committee decried the sudden insertion of changes that hadn't been publicly discussed. The full Legislature, and GOP Gov. Scott Walker, still must sign off before they become law.

A day later, a backlash began with civil liberties advocates and lawmakers from both parties expressing opposition to the provisions.

"Gov. Walker and his office are trying to muzzle all the watchdogs in this state," said Brendan Fischer, General Counsel for the Center for Media and Democracy said.

Walker's spokeswoman Laurel Patrick said in a statement Friday that the governor would meet with legislative leaders to make changes to the provisions before they reach the full Legislature. She didn't immediately specify what the changes would be.

The open records flap emerged just 10 days before Walker is expected to formally announce on July 13 his candidacy for the Republican presidential nomination. Walker had hoped to wrap up dealings with the Wisconsin Legislature by now to turn his attention to the 2016 race but the session has dragged on without a budget approved for the new fiscal year.

Among the issues that have dogged Walker recently is the performance of a job creation agency he championed. The Wisconsin State Journal used the open records law that Republicans are now trying to tighten to report in May that the Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation made a loan to one of Walker's top donors. The report led other media organizations, including The Associated Press, to look into the matter and the agency has faced scrutiny from the Legislature.

Under the open records proposal Republicans rushed through the committee, all "deliberative materials" would be exempt from the open records law. That includes all materials prepared in the process of reaching a decision concerning a policy or course of action or in drafting a document or communication.

The exemptions are even more extensive for members of the Legislature and their staff. They would not have to disclose communications between one another, the public or others who work for the Legislature, such as staff in the clerk's and sergeant at arms offices. The protection extends to a wide array of legislative business, including drafting bills, developing public policy, all aspects of legislative proceedings such as committee hearings, and investigations and oversight

Legislative service agencies would be required to keep all communications, records and information confidential.

Notice how "the public" is casually thrown in there. Luckily, everyone is a member of the public, so communications between donors and legislators or their staff would be confidential.

I wouldn't be so sure, from your link:

quote:

Although they have yet to formally abandon the plan, Gov. Scott Walker says he wants the changes out of the state budget and powerful Sen. Alberta Darling -- who voted for the provision Thursday night on the eve of the holiday weekend -- said efforts are underway to do just that.

But the Republican governor and all-but-certain presidential candidate said officials may modify, rather than abandon, their plans to weaken the open records law. The governor said he would meet with legislative leaders Monday to discuss changes to the plan.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Finished Griftopia, onwards to The Divide.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

MonsieurChoc posted:

Finished Griftopia, onwards to The Divide.

Watch out for the deathclaw that traps you in the cave.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

quote:

"After substantive discussion over the last day, we have agreed that the provisions relating to any changes in the state's open records law will be removed from the budget in its entirety. We are steadfastly committed to open and accountable government," the statement read. "The intended policy goal of these changes was to provide a reasonable solution to protect constituents' privacy and to encourage a deliberative process between elected officials and their staff in developing policy. It was never intended to inhibit transparent government in any way."

We didn't want to inhibit government transparency, we just wanted to let lawmakers and lobbyists write and pass bills without the public breathing down our necks all the time!

quote:

The turnaround came less than 48 hours after lawmakers slipped the plan into the budget unannounced in a late-night session heading into a three-day holiday weekend.

Nope, totally not their intention to get away with passing terrible poo poo in the dead of night while nobody's looking.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Kafka Esq. posted:

Watch out for the deathclaw that traps you in the cave.

Rawr? He's a kitten if you packed a shotgun and the knockdown perk. It was always the rear end in a top hat who leaps on top of the trailer with the ammo cache that killed me every time. :arghfist::pcgaming:

Or the tunnelers, or the loving marked men ambushing you from 7 different directions at once with high end weapons.

To bring this back around, how many GOP law makers want the world to look like Fallout? The nuked out remains of civilization, not the idealized high tech 50s, just so we're clear.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Klaus88 posted:

To bring this back around, how many GOP law makers want the world to look like Fallout? The nuked out remains of civilization, not the idealized high tech 50s, just so we're clear.
Depends; which are the ones that want Israel to get nuked so the End Times come about?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Wasn't Southern Illinois mainly settled by Virginians and Kentuckians

Southern IL gave us the great Gen. John A. Logan

Don't mess with coal miners. Frenchies may have had seccessionist sympathies, good ol' IL coalminers took care of that

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Yo Amerigoons

Tell me things about the TPP agreement. Is there a topic about it?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yo Amerigoons

It won't exist for probably several more years and the only thing you're likely to hear about it until then is one step above baseless speculation.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yo Amerigoons

It is a necessary piece of legislation which we would not need had Obama stuck to his word on the Syrian redline.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's a trade agreement that is likely to have very little to do with trade.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
happy 4th goons. remember, chris kyle (are biggest troop's hero) did not die so that non patriot food stamp user's could lite firework's

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LORD OF BUTT posted:

So this is possibly not a USPol question, but... what exactly is HuffPo's purpose?

Advertising revenue. You know, like every other generic news website.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yo Amerigoons

It's a not yet completed trade argeement with pacific countries that's going to be a huge campaign issue as Obama's successor is gonna be the one to sign it most likely.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

There's a TPP thread here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725584

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

It was a startling revelation to me when I read a great 1000-page book about the Seven Years War (French and Indian War) that went into a lot of detail about Iroquois and Mohawk internal politics during the war. I suddenly realized that despite considering myself a pretty progressive person, I just hadn't previously considered those groups to be truly "nations" in history. But seeing accounts of them arguing over petty political bullshit, playing opponents off each other, backstabbing and excluding people, and just generally doing ill poo poo was a great reminder that these folks were pretty much like any feuding city-states of the Holy Roman Empire, just with less urbanization.

What was the book?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Fried Chicken posted:

happy 4th goons. remember, chris kyle (are biggest troop's hero) did not die so that non patriot food stamp user's could lite firework's

Speaking of which, driving back from work in the south side of our obviously segregated town, I got to hear all the fireworks set off by our "you know, those people" and felt vaguely positive that even though our Duck Dynasty politics does it's best to ruin them, they still celebrate America.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Fried Chicken posted:

Speaking of Chris Kyle, 4th of July Fireworks: Unnecessary PTSD triggers, or essential American tradition?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

My Imaginary GF posted:

Speaking of Chris Kyle, 4th of July Fireworks: Unnecessary PTSD triggers, or essential American tradition?

Pretty sure my neighborhood would be a massive PTSD trigger. For about 3 or 4 hours it was literally nonstop fireworks of every shape and size; even when ones down the street weren't firing off, there was a constant rumble of distant explosions and pops. Some guys in the hood pulled out something utterly massive, and several times there's been a gigantic boom that lit up the whole street and shook the house.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yes.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

7/4/63 never forget :911:

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

H em dash em dash L

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

PleasingFungus posted:

What was the book?

I'm pretty sure it was Fred Anderson's "Crucible of War" since I clearly recall it was around 1000 pages.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/03757...kuwL&ref=plSrch

He does have some shorter books on the French and Indian War though if you want less depth.

I would welcome any recommendations for good books on American Indian history which avoid hippie noble savage stuff and similarly portray them basically as nation-states.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Oh, it's July 5th now, is it?

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

ufarn posted:

I thought that was about the TN clerks who resigned, because they didn't want to certify any same-sex marriages.

There're a lot of Conservative tears these days, aren't there.

It's not just a matter of schadenfreude either. Several major symbolic defeats like this in a short span of time is apt to make many social conservatives, always a dour and pessimistic lot, more likely to go for the cultish "Benedictine option" and disengage from politics, at least partially. One can always hope.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Hey, he's just telling it like it is.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Fried Chicken posted:

ooh now i want a velvet obama

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

ooh now i want a velvet obama

you won't be able to afford one now that you have to make your ObamaCare payments

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fried Chicken posted:

Something about him silently pointing at the burning part of the page makes me think of a religious horror movie.

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

My nomination for yesterday's Quote of the Day:

quote:

“How can you handle the feeling that people are just being asked to accept everything?” said Keith Uhl, a lawyer who helped run George H.W. Bush’s 1988 campaign in Iowa. “First same-sex marriage. Then we have this transgender issue, which is another big hurdle. Now we have white women who are claiming they are black! Seriously. It’s too much.”

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Fried Chicken posted:

you won't be able to afford one now that you have to make your ObamaCare payments

i dont have to make obamacare payments
i make minimum wage and live in a state that didnt expand medicare :c00lbert:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

i dont have to make obamacare payments
i make minimum wage and live in a state that didnt expand medicare :c00lbert:

You should move to WA:

Current State Minimum: $9.47 (auto-adjusts annually)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

They're going to sneak it through in a last second addition to some must-pass bill and probably in a way that lets them hide it after the fact. Walker's owners absolutely want this poo poo passed so they can safely stay hidden from the public eye while running the state in to the ground to make more money.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Alligator Horse posted:

My nomination for yesterday's Quote of the Day:

Well, he's not wrong about that last one being too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Anyone real familiar with Russia's post-soviet neoliberal economic reforms and how those compare to the GOP's fever dreams? I've read (hilarious) articles comparing them in the broad strokes but detailed material could be more useful (and even more hilarious).

• Locked thread