Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

wouln't all anyone have to do is mock up a mailer with a black man and white woman and say 'stand with candidate X against Perry' or some catchy slogan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Lu Yan posted:

My history lessons glossed over the fact that Bryan was the prosecuting attorney at the motherfucking SCOPES MONKEY TRIAL.

That's the thing I most remember him for. (That and Brian Boyko being "William Bryan Jennings' revenge" or something.)

quote:

Evangelical Christianity, as everyone knows, is founded upon hate

Can you imagine what would happen if someone had written this today?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Santorum supports anorexia apparently. (And bad Photoshop)

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Carrasco posted:

Can you imagine what would happen if someone had written this today?

It would be furiously retweeted by bitter nerds the world over.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Agrajag posted:

The left tearing up Hillary and loving up the elections just to have a GOP candidate win will be hilarious to watch.

The people whining that their default candidate actually has competition in the primary is hilarious to watch.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

The people whining that their default candidate actually has competition in the primary is hilarious to watch.

I think Sanders is going to be very good for the Democratic primary, though I don't think he's actually competition. I would like him to do even better than he is now by becoming a more well-rounded candidate, but he may want to focus nearly totally on economic issues.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
He is already doing this- listen to his Madison speech.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Obdicut posted:

I think Sanders is going to be very good for the Democratic primary, though I don't think he's actually competition. I would like him to do even better than he is now by becoming a more well-rounded candidate, but he may want to focus nearly totally on economic issues.

To be honest I think that's probably the best Democrat strategy right now. I can think of a lot of people that really dislike Hillary. Bernie is a newer face to a lot of folks but the ones that did know him like him. A lot of people are fed up with both parties right now and a lot of young are squirming and scraping through life right now because of how hosed they are financially. Then here's this guy saying "poo poo is hosed up and bullshit." Here's a guy that's been an independent Senator the whole time he's been there. He's perfectly willing to stand up for economic issues.

Really I think if the D side puts Bernie on the pedestal and focuses heavily on economic issues you'd see a relatively easy win. Now that it's becoming apparent what the right stands for you're going to see them losing a lot of most demographics. They of course have the "old white guy" demographic down but that one just doesn't win elections by itself anymore.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mr Hootington posted:

I still think a Scott Walker/Marco Rubio ticket could beat HIllary if WI doesn't implode before the election. \

Maybe if Hilary completely bombs in multiple debates as badly as Obama did in his first against Romney and/or manages to drive Latinos away from the Democrats in large numbers, sure they have a shot.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Brave New World posted:

From a couple pages back:

Perot wasn't anywhere near as bad as Trump is. He actually produced charts and poo poo to back up his positions, and sounded (at least) halfway sane while laying them out... And he was 100% right about NAFTA.

Behind the scenes was another story, though. Ed Rollins said he was paranoid after he met with him. His 1996 campaign largely went down in flames when he dropped out of the race just to reenter a couple months later claiming that someone was trying to blackmail him with compromising pictures of his daughter, or something like that. Apart from that incident, Perot always did a good job of acting like Serious People in front of the cameras. He may have been a little too folksie with stuff like
"I was a Rhodes Scholar too- R. O. A. D. S.",
but he was nowhere near the ball of narcissistic idiocy Trump has been.

Perot is also a better person than John McCain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_McCain

quote:

Businessman and POW advocate Ross Perot paid for Carol's medical care, and she remained grateful, later remarking: "The military families are in Ross's heart and in his soul...There are millions of us who are extremely grateful to Ross Perot".

Ross Perot later said, "After he came home, he walked with a limp, she [Carol McCain] walked with a limp. So he threw her over for a poster girl with big money from Arizona [Cindy McCain, his current wife] and the rest is history."

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

ToxicSlurpee posted:

To be honest I think that's probably the best Democrat strategy right now. I can think of a lot of people that really dislike Hillary. Bernie is a newer face to a lot of folks but the ones that did know him like him. A lot of people are fed up with both parties right now and a lot of young are squirming and scraping through life right now because of how hosed they are financially. Then here's this guy saying "poo poo is hosed up and bullshit." Here's a guy that's been an independent Senator the whole time he's been there. He's perfectly willing to stand up for economic issues.

Sanders is not an independent, though, he is running for the Democratic nomination. You can't campaign on "I was independent for years" when your the Democratic nominee.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Obdicut posted:

Sanders is not an independent, though, he is running for the Democratic nomination. You can't campaign on "I was independent for years" when your the Democratic nominee.

He's running as a Democrat but I think him being an independent for so long speaks in his favor to many. This is especially true when you consider how much he hates the Citizens United decision.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

ToxicSlurpee posted:

He's running as a Democrat but I think him being an independent for so long speaks in his favor to many. This is especially true when you consider how much he hates the Citizens United decision.

Okay, I think that it really doesn't speak to many people if he's willing to give up being an independent to get the Democratic nomination for president. He also caucused with the Democrats and was assigned to committees based on the Democrats.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Obdicut posted:

Okay, I think that it really doesn't speak to many people if he's willing to give up being an independent to get the Democratic nomination for president. He also caucused with the Democrats and was assigned to committees based on the Democrats.

Through shifting rhetoric, the ally is simultaneously a Washington Outsider and is weighted by decades of experience.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Obdicut posted:

This got me thinking down a stupid path. Is there any rule barring a person from seeking the nomination in multiple parties simultaneously? I assume there would be outrage, but procedurally/legally would it be allowed?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Obdicut posted:

People aren't stupid, they know the only way to have a shot at the presidency is through the major parties. The democratic establishment is seen as a major part of 'the problem' by moderate republicans and independents and Sanders' status as an independent puts him miles ahead of Hillary in their eyes for this reason.

E: they see Sanders as subverting the two party system.

E2: a party outsider with Washington experience.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 4, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

taqueso posted:

This got me thinking down a stupid path. Is there any rule barring a person from seeking the nomination in multiple parties simultaneously? I assume there would be outrage, but procedurally/legally would it be allowed?

Probably? It'd be a state by state thing, since they set the rules for who can appear on the ballot. But I know Rubio is possibly giving up his senate seat since Florida prohibits running for two different offices at the same time, so I imagine the wording of that rule would also prohibit running in both the the republican and democratic primaries, but not all states have that rule.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Miltank posted:

moderate republicans and independents

Are there any of either of these left in the wild?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

taqueso posted:

Technically no but I think a vote for the candidate in Party A would be separate/competing with a vote from the candidate in Party B, unless you have New York's Fusion voting system.

Basically, normal situation:

quote:

Party A - Candidate: 30%

Party B - Candidate: 30%

Party C - Other Candidate: 40%

In fusion voting:

quote:

Candidate - Party A&B - 60%

Other Candidate - Party C - 40%

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

taqueso posted:

If you tried, one or both would likely drop their support for you like a hat; much of the reason why you associate with a party is to gain access to their resources.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Miltank posted:

People aren't stupid, they know the only way to have a shot at the presidency is through the major parties. The democratic establishment is seen as a major part of 'the problem' by moderate republicans and independents and Sanders' status as an independent puts him miles ahead of Hillary in their eyes for this reason.

I'll be voting for Sanders but the idea that "moderate Republicans" will vote for him because he was a de jure non-member and de facto member of the Democratic party for several years is ridiculous.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

They're all Democrats now, basically, or else completely sidelined and ignored.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Miltank posted:

Okay, I don't get how he is, or has ever, subverted the two-party system.

Badger of Basra posted:

I'll be voting for Sanders but the idea that "moderate Republicans" will vote for him because he was a de jure non-member and de facto member of the Democratic party for several years is ridiculous.

Yeah, basically. There are probably, as covered before, a small number of cool Republicans willing to cross party lines for Sanders out of respect for him as an individual, but nobody who hates the Democrats or the two-party system is going to go "Well, I guess he has to run as a Democrat and had to caucus with them and had to get committee appointments from them so I'll overlook all that and say he was fighting them the whole time".

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Plenty of cultural conservatives who see both parties as completely bullshit but still vote for the GOP because their parents did.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 4, 2015

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Obdicut posted:

The other issue is that if he runs independent, he splits the liberal base, which hands things over to the republicans like you saw with Nader.

Running as a Dem prevents that split that allows the republican side to win by default.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Roydrowsy posted:

The other issue is that if he runs independent, he splits the liberal base, which hands things over to the republicans like you saw with Nader.

Running as a Dem prevents that split that allows the republican side to win by default.

I have no problem with him running as a Democrat. I think it's absolutely the best thing to do, partially for the reason you say and partially because it gives his views more credibility and gives other Democratic candidates incentive to align themselves with him. What I'm saying is that claiming he'll draw support because he's an 'independent' really doesn't make any sense, since he's not an independent and even when he technically was, he functioned inside the Democratic political apparatus, caucusing with them (though he had to fight his way in) and given appointments by them.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdIDFL8dLIs

American nationalism is centrally about democracy moderated by the practical concerns of the federal republic.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

taqueso posted:

Stephen Colbert attempted to do exactly that, at least in South Carolina.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Colbert_presidential_campaign,_2008

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

taqueso posted:

Skwirl posted:

Probably? It'd be a state by state thing, since they set the rules for who can appear on the ballot. But I know Rubio is possibly giving up his senate seat since Florida prohibits running for two different offices at the same time, so I imagine the wording of that rule would also prohibit running in both the the republican and democratic primaries, but not all states have that rule.

Correct. There are various state laws that make it impossible. For example, New Hampshire requires you to be a registered member of the party to appear on the party's ballot and Sanders will have to register as a Democrat to compete there (as will Lincoln Chafee).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Joementum posted:

(as will Lincoln Chafee).

Who?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Clinton campaign used a rope to keep the cameras away at today's parades.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Joementum posted:

A great way to connect with the people!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
By the way, this is the first time I can remember when I haven't personally seen Bernie in a 4th of July parade.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Joementum posted:

My mother and grandfather were both journalists, but I kinda like Hillary's feud with reporters.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Obdicut posted:

Okay, I don't get how he is, or has ever, subverted the two-party system.

Its all about messaging obviously. The GOP is blatantly corrupt, but so is the 'Democrat Party.' Sanders tells it like it is and votes his conscience. 'Even if I disagree with some of his policies, I still trust him to not blindly follow the Democrat bosses.'

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Miltank posted:

Its all about messaging obviously. The the GOP is blatantly corrupt, but so is the 'Democrat Party.' Sanders tells it like it is and votes his conscience. 'Even if I disagree with some of his policies, I still trust him to not blindly follow the Democrat bosses.'

I'm sorry, I don't get how this is a reply to what I'm saying. Sanders may 'tell it like it is' and may 'vote his conscience', but if the Democratic party is totally corrupt why is he seeking their nomination?

I understand this is not your actual view and you're taking some hypothetical, but I'm saying that would only work if he was seeking the presidency as an independent.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Well it's a test of the democratic primary system - is it fair or is it rigged so the person with the most sponsors wins?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

While I suppose it may be to the distaste of the folks who prize Bernie for his outsidery flavor and cool ranch seasoning, how likely is it that - if he did win the nomination - he would have support from the various committed Democratic groups? I suppose the punchline may be "what committed Democratic groups," which may also be why the Republicans kept running so successfully. :v:

To be clear I mean like county political organizations rather than 'minorities in the general sense.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Nessus posted:

While I suppose it may be to the distaste of the folks who prize Bernie for his outsidery flavor and cool ranch seasoning, how likely is it that - if he did win the nomination - he would have support from the various committed Democratic groups? I suppose the punchline may be "what committed Democratic groups," which may also be why the Republicans kept running so successfully. :v:

To be clear I mean like county political organizations rather than 'minorities in the general sense.'

He doesn't have anything that would stop him from getting support, I don't think. If he won Democrats would throw their weight behind him and I doubt there'd be anything less committed .I'm totally assuming that if he got the nomination he'd be smart enough to meet with and take seriously minority leaders, too so I think he'd have plenty of support from those org too.

• Locked thread