Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

poopkitty posted:

The director of fleet maintenance is a reservist. Which I think is odd, but she seems cool, so whatevs.

Everyone blazes that poo poo anyway so it makes sense?

gently caress maintenance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

vulturesrow posted:

But 4th fleet isn't an operational command.

I didn't mean in this situation just in general.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I think the moral of the story here is gently caress active should've gone reserves :(

Scratch that, the moral is gently caress the military should've been a firefighter

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Every reservist I've met is trying desperately to go active duty which is almost seemingly impossible. Guess they're all just unemployed deadbeats idk

Makes sense for the dudes that were active and just want that healthcare for their 4 flip kids I guess

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Every reservist I've met is trying desperately to go active duty which is almost seemingly impossible. Guess they're all just unemployed deadbeats idk

Makes sense for the dudes that were active and just want that healthcare for their 4 flip kids I guess

this is me

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Happy 4th of July you wonderful bastards. If I ain't shooting SM2's then I guess I can settle for DC fireworks.

:911: :911: :911:

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Can't shoot off fireworks on base. How unamerican is that

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Pandasmores posted:

Can't shoot off fireworks on base. How unamerican is that

The Gestapo even outlawed sparklers here.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
set off $500 worth of fireworks. Feels good man

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Sir Lucius posted:

set off $500 worth of fireworks. Feels good man

Sky fireworks have been going off over my town for the last week. Every night is a constant barrage. I hate living in the only town for miles that allows fireworks.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

LingcodKilla posted:

Sky fireworks have been going off over my town for the last week. Every night is a constant barrage. I hate living in the only town for miles that allows fireworks.

You loving commie dog you watch your mouth

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

SP Eval: - UNPATRIOTIC: Shipmate runs at the idea of liberty and the sight of a bald eagle soaring over our free skies.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Pandasmores posted:

SP Eval: - UNPATRIOTIC: Shipmate runs at the idea of liberty and the sight of a bald eagle soaring over our free skies.

More like a flaming Phoenix trying to set my goddamn house on fire. My drunk neighbors start launching the mortars at low angles so they blow up only 10 or so yards off the ground. Safe!

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
If you don't like it you can move to communist china!

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

More like a flaming Phoenix trying to set my goddamn house on fire. My drunk neighbors start launching the mortars at low angles so they blow up only 10 or so yards off the ground. Safe!

America isn't a place for the safe, better take your helmets and shin guards to Europe or Canada you fascist.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Pandasmores posted:

America isn't a place for the safe, better take your helmets and shin guards to Europe or Canada you fascist.

My house survived. Just a couple large bottle rockets in my roses. Sorry guys. I'm just an IT. All those loud sounds was very disorienting.

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

Buy 1 get 1 bottle of Lysol FREE!
Feel lucky you're allowed to own/possess fireworks. Here in communist Hawaii they're illegal except for organized displays...queue my wife dragging me on pearl harbor to set a lawn chair in the road.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Just as I opened to read some jackass just fired off a salvo over my house. loving kids better not wake up.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

vrath posted:

Feel lucky you're allowed to own/possess fireworks. Here in communist Hawaii they're illegal except for organized displays...queue my wife dragging me on pearl harbor to set a lawn chair in the road.

Growing up there as a kid, fireworks were crazy. The Chinese string firecrackers were especially popular and every morning after new years, 4th of july, Chinese new year, whole streets would be covered in red paper. Kalakaua was a war zone, the smoke would be so thick you couldn't see across the street.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Just as I opened to read some jackass just fired off a salvo over my house. loving kids better not wake up.

Your children would be lucky to wake up to the SOUNDS OF FREEDOM

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

vrath posted:

It's pretty nice now. Don't have to worry about spent mortars pinging off the roof of your car as you drive down a smoke covered street. 10 foot visibility at best. Children running in and out of the smoke in front of you waving sparklers around. poo poo was a war zone.

Highways would have clouds of smoke drifting so thick you couldn't use them. Also wild fires.

I gotta admit, they celebrated freedom pretty well here after being subjugated by us.

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

Laranzu posted:

It's pretty nice now. Don't have to worry about spent mortars pinging off the roof of your car as you drive down a smoke covered street. 10 foot visibility at best. Children running in and out of the smoke in front of you waving sparklers around. poo poo was a war zone.

Highways would have clouds of smoke drifting so thick you couldn't use them. Also wild fires.

I gotta admit, they celebrated freedom pretty well here after being subjugated by us.

I heard rumors of this when I got here. Supposedly waipahu tried to burn itself down every year.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I had a buddy who made the mistake one year of leaving his car in the driveway instead of the garage on the fourth his first year on Oahu. It was covered with an inch of ash and soot from all the festivities.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Stopped into my NOSC today to check on my clearance (woo woo!) and now I'm supposed to talk with some senior chief about going active for their office IT. A year of desktop support at NOSC shore station wouldnt be so bad. Right? At the bare minimum it would give me a year to work on getting a TS cleared job and pad my resume.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I hate dealing with all the reservists who are itching to go active, get a real job you wannabe welfare queens!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

I hate dealing with all the reservists who are itching to go active, get a real job you wannabe welfare queens!

Hey they asked me!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Hey they asked me!

Go hassle some Selectees now that results are out

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Why is this? Grass is greener philosophy?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Howard Phillips posted:

Why is this? Grass is greener philosophy?

Pretty much, all the people when I was active only wanted to get out or go reserves then in the reserves all of them want to go active out take long term orders. Everyone wants to suckled Uncle Sam's tet.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

Pretty much, all the people when I was active only wanted to get out or go reserves then in the reserves all of them want to go active out take long term orders. Everyone wants to suckled Uncle Sam's tet.

I thought this is why I joined in the first place? Or was that civic duty? I can never recall. I like boobs.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

I like boobs.

Then you joined the wrong service :chiefsay:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

Then you joined the wrong service :chiefsay:

I've seen a few submariners.

Also I got sent to my freakin' recruiter to print out my contract because I was too dumb to know it was on bupers and the NOSC ..... well I'm not sure what the gently caress was up with them telling me to do it that way.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

LingcodKilla posted:

I like The Navy. The Navy is the best thing ever. The Navy accelerated my life! :chiefsay:

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

So the army is cutting 40k troops. Who's ready for another round of ERB's? Honestly peace time cuts is the most scary thing in my life. I watched my LPO get cut....now I'm the LPO...

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

vrath posted:

So the army is cutting 40k troops. Who's ready for another round of ERB's? Honestly peace time cuts is the most scary thing in my life. I watched my LPO get cut....now I'm the LPO...

All the people I know who got ERB'd went on to be much happier on the outside. One went to school and now works for Fluke, another got a job with SpaceX, another travels around for oil rigs or some poo poo, a couple went to work for Intel, some for Boeing, and so on. All of them miss it because they only fired lifers, but they have been more than successful in the real world.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

MancXVI posted:

All the people I know who got ERB'd went on to be much happier on the outside. One went to school and now works for Fluke, another got a job with SpaceX, another travels around for oil rigs or some poo poo, a couple went to work for Intel, some for Boeing, and so on. All of them miss it because they only fired lifers, but they have been more than successful in the real world.

All the people I know who got out for any reason went on to be much happier on the outside.

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

MancXVI posted:

I'm not scared of not making money afterwards. I'm an ET, I'll be fine. But if I wanted more money I'd just get out. I want that retirement titty. Seems like a pretty good troll that you stay in past 10 just to get traded in for a seaman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Cerekk posted:

All the people I know who got out for any reason went on to be much happier on the outside.

Even most of the guys I met at failure div while being processed for my DUI seemed to land on their feet, provided they didn't get worse than a general or adsep.

Magical times

• Locked thread