Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Out of curiousity, I went to the website and it seems that this was paid for by the Republican Party of Wisconsin.

At least I had another chance to see Walker's doofy face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

McDowell posted:

Well it's a test of the democratic primary system - is it fair or is it rigged so the person with the most sponsors wins?

Both could be true you know. The person with the most popular support (thus win "fairly") could be the person who gets the most sponsors.

Monied interests tend to bandwagon hard.

AndNowMax
Sep 25, 2009

Fighting the fight for *mumble* *mumble*

Yeah 4th of July is great and all, but you know what's not so great? PAYING TAXES

*crowd explodes in applause*
*a woman holding a baby sheds a single tear*

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Nessus posted:

While I suppose it may be to the distaste of the folks who prize Bernie for his outsidery flavor and cool ranch seasoning, how likely is it that - if he did win the nomination - he would have support from the various committed Democratic groups? I suppose the punchline may be "what committed Democratic groups," which may also be why the Republicans kept running so successfully. :v:

To be clear I mean like county political organizations rather than 'minorities in the general sense.'

He has the support of Labor, but as for the Democratic party political machine? No. It'd be like McGovern and Goldwater, where state party chairs openly told reporters they were focusing down the ticket because they had no faith in the man at the top, but probably worse. Incidentally, this is one of the reasons (among many) that Bernie, who has yet to receive the endorsement of a single elected Democrat, will not win the nomination.

But that's OK. That's not really his goal. He says at every opportunity that he's trying to start a "political revolution in America", which also won't happen, but what he is doing is bringing more people into the Democratic party who share his ideas. In doing so he firms up the liberal wing of the party and ensures their issues are taken seriously. This is similar to the effect Ron Paul had on encouraging Libertarianism in the Republican party and what Pat Robertson's 1988 run did to maintain the evangelical base in the party.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
What is Hillary's supposed feud with reporters? Is it because she doesn't have Bill's ridiculous charisma?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Obdicut posted:

I'm sorry, I don't get how this is a reply to what I'm saying. Sanders may 'tell it like it is' and may 'vote his conscience', but if the Democratic party is totally corrupt why is he seeking their nomination?

I understand this is not your actual view and you're taking some hypothetical, but I'm saying that would only work if he was seeking the presidency as an independent.

The narrative is that he is challenging the democratic party from the inside. Everyone can see that Hillary is the candidate of the democratic establishment, by challenging her Sanders presents himself as an outside competitor against the establishment- he is exploiting a 'loophole' in party policy that allows him to challenge the establishment from within.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

VanSandman posted:

What is Hillary's supposed feud with reporters? Is it because she doesn't have Bill's ridiculous charisma?

I think it has something to do with them spending two decades watching her opponents lob smoke bombs in her family's general direction and concluding that all the smoke means there must be a fire.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

AndNowMax posted:

Yeah 4th of July is great and all, but you know what's not so great? PAYING TAXES

*crowd explodes in applause*
*a woman holding a baby sheds a single tear*

lovely attempt at a joke aside, the 4th of July isn't even about "independence from gov't". It's about the declaration of our independence from Britain, so that we could form our own system of government.

How the gently caress do you get something as fundamental as the meaning of July 4th wrong.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

VanSandman posted:

Spending almost a decade watching them try and rip her husband apart has something to do with it. Lewinsky only became an issue because there was no basis for the 1000 other things Republicans tried to nail on Bill. And the endless criticism against her for not divorcing Bill calling it a "political move" and not ever acknowledging that maybe, even though Bill hosed up, Hillary actually meant it when she said "Til Death Do Us Part."

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

DaveWoo posted:

lovely attempt at a joke aside, the 4th of July isn't even about "independence from gov't". It's about the declaration of our independence from Britain, so that we could form our own system of government.

How the gently caress do you get something as fundamental as the meaning of July 4th wrong.

I don't think most Americans even know that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Skwirl posted:

Spending almost a decade watching them try and rip her husband apart has something to do with it. Lewinsky only became an issue because there was no basis for the 1000 other things Republicans tried to nail on Bill. And the endless criticism against her for not divorcing Bill calling it a "political move" and not ever acknowledging that maybe, even though Bill hosed up, Hillary actually meant it when she said "Til Death Do Us Part."

Maybe she forgave him.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Joementum posted:

He has the support of Labor, but as for the Democratic party political machine? No. It'd be like McGovern and Goldwater, where state party chairs openly told reporters they were focusing down the ticket because they had no faith in the man at the top, but probably worse. Incidentally, this is one of the reasons (among many) that Bernie, who has yet to receive the endorsement of a single elected Democrat, will not win the nomination.

But that's OK. That's not really his goal. He says at every opportunity that he's trying to start a "political revolution in America", which also won't happen, but what he is doing is bringing more people into the Democratic party who share his ideas. In doing so he firms up the liberal wing of the party and ensures their issues are taken seriously. This is similar to the effect Ron Paul had on encouraging Libertarianism in the Republican party and what Pat Robertson's 1988 run did to maintain the evangelical base in the party.
Well yeah I figure that's pretty much the case. Do you think he'd actually cause a rift with those leftward supporters? There's certainly a selection bias but among my own friends, family, etc. I have numerous people going "OMG if Bernie doesn't become President we're all doomed, I won't vote, cry" or words to that effect. The problem is that this is stupid but it is emotionally injurious to tell them that this is stupid.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

DaveWoo posted:

quote:

On the night of the Fourth of July, we thought of Reagan’s ingenious suggestion that the old political dynamic of Left v. Right should be refigured:

"Isn’t our choice really one of up or down? Down through statism, the welfare state, more and more government largesse, accompanied always by more government authority, less individual liberty and ultimately totalitarianism, always advanced as for our own good. The alternative is the dream conceived by our Founding Fathers, up to the ultimate in individual freedom, consistent with an orderly society.
We don’t celebrate Dependence Day on the Fourth of July. We celebrate Independence Day."

Source: Dutch, by Edmund Morris, p.506 , Jul 4, 1984

Like literally everything else he says or thinks that wasn't directly fed to him by a donor, he's just aping Reagan here.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

quote:

All those other countries celebrating tax day, pffft, so stupid

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Like literally everything else he says or thinks that wasn't directly fed to him by a donor, he's just aping Reagan here.

Man, gently caress Reagan.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Skwirl posted:

You know what? That is actually an excellent reason to hate the media. All that Clinton/Lewinsky poo poo happened when I was a kid so I never really understood what the gently caress it was aside from dude getting a bj and turds getting uppity about it for some stupid reason.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Agrajag posted:

You know what? That is actually an excellent reason to hate the media. All that Clinton/Lewinsky poo poo happened when I was a kid so I never really understood what the gently caress it was aside from dude getting a bj and turds getting uppity about it for some stupid reason.

Ken Starr was originally appointed to investigate White Water, somehow that turned into forcing the leader of the free world into testifying before congress about whether or not he got a blow job.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Miltank posted:

The narrative is that he is challenging the democratic party from the inside. Everyone can see that Hillary is the candidate of the democratic establishment, by challenging her Sanders presents himself as an outside competitor against the establishment- he is exploiting a 'loophole' in party policy that allows him to challenge the establishment from within.

If he's fighting the Democratic establishment "from the inside" then he is by definition not an independent. He may be from a different part of the party than Hillary, but trying to pretend he isn't working within the party won't help him with moderate northeastern Republicans or whatever the gently caress.

Were he to win the nomination, your ballot would appear:

BERNARD SANDERS
Democratic Party

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

I think it has something to do with them spending two decades watching her opponents lob smoke bombs in her family's general direction and concluding that all the smoke means there must be a fire.

The problem is that you can't keep the press at arms length (at best) while running for president no matter how assholish they've been to you. If she would grit her teeth and just play along Bernie would probably be polling a little lower.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
The rope begs to differ.

Also, skinny jeans + hiking shoes, the gently caress mate?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

One of them should have charged the ropes, that volunteer doesn't look particular strong or attentive, could have probably gotten through to ask a question.

Before being gun downed of course.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Is it Walker who got married on Reagan's birthday and celebrates his anniversary every year by eating Saint Ronnie's favourite dishes (I remember something disgusting about jelly beans)?

richardfun fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 4, 2015

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The problem is that you can't keep the press at arms length (at best) while running for president no matter how assholish they've been to you. If she would grit her teeth and just play along Bernie would probably be polling a little lower.

Are there really that many Bernie supporters who would be supporting Hillary were it not for her cold shoulder to the media? That sounds like something that media members would promote to make themselves seem more important.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Are there really that many Bernie supporters who would be supporting Hillary were it not for her cold shoulder to the media? That sounds like something that media members would promote to make themselves seem more important.

I think Bernie's getting more airtime than would be expected because Hillary's keeping a low media profile. The more prominent he is, people who go 'I'd vote for him if he had a chance' are now wanting to vote for him.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

richardfun posted:

Is it Walker who got married on Reagan's birthday and celebrates his anniversary every year by eating Saint Ronnie's favourite dishes (I remember something disgusting about jelly beans)?

Yes it is. He takes the GOP's Reagan idolatry and raises it to Reagan fetishism.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Agrajag posted:

Dude's probably flat-footed. If you need shoes with lots of arch support and a solid back, you basically get to choose between hiking shoes and gaudy basketball shoes.

(although i'm not positive i understand the nature of your beef with this gentleman)

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 4, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Why would she want Bernie polling lower? It's actually good for Hillary to have competition, and even at Bernie's current high point she's out polling him by over 20 points. Besides if it wasn't Bernie, the press would be jumping through any number of hoops to seriously report how MOM or Webb is catching on.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Raskolnikov38 posted:

She can and is. And do you seriously think Hillary or Sanders thinks Sanders could take this thing?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Agrajag posted:

The rope begs to differ.

Those are Merrells (sp?) and he's probably wearing them because they're the most comfortable shoes that I have ever worn.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Hes not hiking for 2 days. Hes strolling along a road.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

bpower posted:

Hes not hiking for 2 days. Hes strolling along a road.

Some people have hosed up feet/arches, why does it matter what shoes they wear?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
2016 Presidential Primaries - Every shoe choice is Hitler.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

GreyPowerVan posted:

Some people have hosed up feet/arches, why does it matter what shoes they wear?

trouser/shoe combo is bad.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
It will be interesting to see how Hilary's relationship with the press carries over to her presidency.
What was she like as SoS?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Fulchrum posted:

2016 Presidential Primaries - Every shoe choice is Hitler.
2016 Yoojest, Most Luxurious Shoes Primary: Somebody's Doing The Shodding

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

One of them should have charged the ropes, that volunteer doesn't look particular strong or attentive, could have probably gotten through to ask a question.

Before being gun downed of course.

What exactly is the junction between Secret Service and staffers limply holding a rope anyway? I have a feeling SS' perimeter is completely different.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

bpower posted:

trouser/shoe combo is bad.

God I care SO MUCH about the fashion of a random campaign worker!!!

What's the official count of candidates for the GOP right now?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Beamed posted:

What's the official count of candidates for the GOP right now?

Assuming that this website is reliable, I count 28 declared.

That's as opposed to 16 for the democrats, assuming this website can be trusted (both set up by the same people)

Note that it's not necessarily the mount of declared candidates that matters, but the amount of major candidates, which for the Democrats seems to only include Hillary, Sanders, and O'Malley, while for the Republicans this is a two-digit list.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Assuming that this website is reliable, I count 28 declared.

That's as opposed to 16 for the democrats, assuming this website can be trusted (both set up by the same people)

Note that it's not necessarily the mount of declared candidates that matters, but the amount of major candidates, which for the Democrats seems to only include Hillary, Sanders, and O'Malley, while for the Republicans this is a two-digit list.
Lincoln Chafee and Jim Webb might make it to the first debate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

This is one of the things that worries me about Hillary. She's relatively incompetent for a politician. Of all the problems Obama had, he knew how to work with the media and be exceptionally careful about the things he says.

• Locked thread