Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

computer parts posted:

So following the solid-liquid-gas properties, the next Terminator will be a cloud of electrified particles.

Another cloud villain, Hollywood? Really?

Just make it Unicron. Skynet goes gently caress this and pulls in from the TF Universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

So Terminator 6 will be Michael Crichton's Prey.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
The T5 antagonist terminator is already a cloud of iron filings in a magnetic field, though.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

CelticPredator posted:

The only thing I liked in this movie was the homage to one of the writers films, Drive Angry, when Arnold steps out of the moving car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRZNLNkxgIg

42 seconds.

Is... is the whole movie that good? From what I'd heard about it, I'd pretty much written off that film as a bit of a generic action flick, but that makes it look... kind of, all sorts of, amazing.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

dr_rat posted:

Is... is the whole movie that good? From what I'd heard about it, I'd pretty much written off that film as a bit of a generic action flick, but that makes it look... kind of, all sorts of, amazing.

You know how the two Ghost Rider movies were absolute poo poo?

Drive Angry is basically a Ghost Rider movie done right.

Nick Cage gets shot in the eyeball early in the movie and spends most of the rest of it with a hosed-up face as his undead body gradually heals/forces the bullet back out :black101:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

dr_rat posted:

I enjoyed it because it revels in the fact that the entire movie is pure, unrepentant cheese and doesn't take itself seriously at all. Which is the opposite of the new Terminator movie.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

WarLocke posted:

You know how the two Ghost Rider movies were absolute poo poo?

Drive Angry is basically a Ghost Rider movie done right.

Nick Cage gets shot in the eyeball early in the movie and spends most of the rest of it with a hosed-up face as his undead body gradually heals/forces the bullet back out :black101:

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I enjoyed it because it revels in the fact that the entire movie is pure, unrepentant cheese and doesn't take itself seriously at all. Which is the opposite of the new Terminator movie.

A self embracing cheesy action flick, staring Nicolas Cage and William Flincher, is defiantly a film I can, and now very likely, very soon, will enjoy.

Cheers for the recommendation.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Ghost Rider 2 had lots of great moments in it too but yeah Drive Angry rules.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

ruby idiot railed posted:

As far as I know that character is Miles Dyson.

Because technology is static in the Terminator universe.

One single line as a red herring, versus the number of times they talk about converting people into nanobot terminators, including Connor's offer to his parents.

He talked about it once, and he did a fuckton of talking

And its not like they opened the movie with San Fran getting nuked.

Despera fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 4, 2015

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This is a movie where the filmmakers respect the audience, so it is shown - not told.

As opposed to previous villains, John Connor 'talks too much', acts friendly, and so-on. He holds his hand out to the protagonists.

Hahaahaha every loving scene is exposition

Yeah and he spends most of the movie trying to kill them

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

blablablabla posted:

He talked about it once, and he did a fuckton of talking

And its not like they opened the movie with San Fran getting nuked.

blablablabla posted:

Hahaahaha every loving scene is exposition

Yeah and he spends most of the movie trying to kill them

Presented: somebody who didn't actually watch the movie in question.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
1. Did John Conner Talk alot in this movie

2. Did it open with San Fran getting nuked?

3. Did they talk forever about timelines?

4. Did John Conner spend most of his time trying to kill them?

We are talking about Genysis right? * or whatever the lovely misspelling is

Despera fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 4, 2015

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Just saw Genisys. I liked it a hell of a lot more than Salvation so I enjoyed myself.

I set the bar very very low for myself!

I didn't like the post credits scene. I know they are setting up a new trilogy or whatever but despite the movie being 'not good' I thought the way the story went would've been a good way to tie the series up together.

Considering how much this underperformed at the U.S. box office though I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't make any more. I don't know if it's performing well enough overseas to guarantee more though.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
To be fair to Genisys it did have some incredibly badass visuals, specifically on the John Connor Terminator. I also enjoyed the scene where Arnold's Terminator brutally killed the T1000. In retrospect, the whole concept of this movie was awesome it was just executed horribly. If this had a good director, an R rating, and better casting it easily would've been on the levels of T1-T2. I still don't regret giving Arnold my :10bux: either. :colbert:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Immortan posted:

If this had a good director, an R rating, and better casting it easily would've been on the levels of T1-T2.

lol this thread

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
It's true. :)

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
There's absurd amounts of violence in this movie. The characters just bleed silver.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

There's absurd amounts of violence in this movie. The characters just bleed silver.

I cannot even count the number of times they shoot John Connor.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WarLocke posted:

It was hardly brilliant. Bombs have gone off and terrorist strikes happened before it, and they're happening now. 'September 11th' just happened to happen to us and that's not acceptable to a lot of people.

I just get tired of the fetishization of it.

You clearly don't get it. It's not about the event that is 9/11, it's the way the characters convey the events of 9/11 to Sarah.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
R rating for action movies is like the "video games are art" for films.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

No it isn't.

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene
My thoughts (can't be bothered putting into a coherent paragraph):

- Probably the most exposition I've ever seen in what's meant to be an action film. I have no idea if the alternate timeline poo poo has any sort of workable internal logic as it's probably not even worth it to try to figure that out
- Holy hell is Emilia Clarke a terrible actress. Replacing Linda Hamilton with her is an insult
- That's the second big-budget flop action movie sequel Jai Courtney has been in. He's not cringeworthy bad like Clarke but devoid of charisma
- As medicore as the rest of the movie is the old Arnie vs Young Arnie fight scene was pretty cool
- Surely given the box office results Arnie's career is done. Have any of his recent movies done well at all?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Arnold's career is not done at all. He has impunity and is a draw. Others like Taylor and the marketing will be blamed. I don't think Salvationbor T3 did so phenomenal either but we still get sequels

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Just got out of the theater, I really liked this a lot more than I thought I would.With john though I thought he wasn't willingly turned and his line to Kyle early on was about only knowing one path forward to win, despite the heavy cost. Kinda seemed like a better idea to convince skynet not to kill everyone, too.

Also Drive Angry owns, watch it.

e: By which I mean Skynet is directly threatened the moment it turns on like it always was - this time by Sarah Connor. If they hadn't tried to kill it, it seems like the war wouldn't have happened.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 5, 2015

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Caught a afternoon showing and all I can really say is that they need to stop making these, holy gently caress. 3 movies and not one comes close to the first 2.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

That's why AvP 2 was so much better.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

computer parts posted:

That's why AvP 2 was so much better.

See the more relevant one would be Terminator 3.

Was Terminator 3 R?

Also you're cherry picking.

Certain movies can only be done with an R rating. See the Original Terminator and sort of Terminator 2. Also Predator.

Other movies don't have to be R rated.

Sly Deaths Head
Nov 5, 2009
I just saw this. I was really hating this until they got to the big spoiler from the trailers, where it started getting somewhat interesting. Overall, it's not as bad as I thought it would be but it's still pretty stupid. This film has several ideas I feel could have made for an interesting film like Pops, JK Simmons, and John Connor but the overall execution is terrible. Kyle and Sarah were horribly miscast, the dialog was filled with lame jokes and convoluted exposition, and the overall tone felt far removed from the first two films even when the movie was aping them. It actually kind of makes me more upset than if it were a total bomb because this feels like another missed opportunity like the other non-goood Terminator sequels.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Burkion posted:

Certain movies can only be done with an R rating. See the Original Terminator and sort of Terminator 2. Also Predator.

I think by definition every R rated movie can only be done with an R rating.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Jurassic World has the benefit of being PG-13 during the holiday weekend, as well as being a film that parents will take their kids to see, sometimes twice.

Parents aren't going to take their kids to see a nuclear murder robot holocaust movie during the holidays. Genisys should've been released by itself, sometime in mid August.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I was surprised how little I was bothered by the John Connor thing being in the trailers. It's only like 5 minutes between him showing up and the reveal.

Sly Deaths Head
Nov 5, 2009

Sir Kodiak posted:

I was surprised how little I was bothered by the John Connor thing being in the trailers. It's only like 5 minutes between him showing up and the reveal.

My big problem with it was I was just waiting the entire first half of the film for that to happen. It was the same problem I hate with Salvation since I spent half the film waiting to learn what I already knew based on the trailers so I could learn actual new things involving the main plot.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Gatts posted:

Arnold's career is not done at all. He has impunity and is a draw. Others like Taylor and the marketing will be blamed. I don't think Salvationbor T3 did so phenomenal either but we still get sequels

These 'tentpole' movies are jam packed with studio garbage and the scripts are rushed out and directors have minimal control how they do things.

Look at how Marvel mucked up Iron Man 2 and Avengers 2. Favreau and Whedon are pretty great directors but still look like fools when the scripts are such crap and they can't push back against studio bullshit. There's barely any art or soul in these movies, just the objective of cold hard cash money for everyone involved.

For tentpole trash, Genisys was perfectly fine and a lot of fun and compares favorably with all the other tentpole trash that's out there.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Gonz posted:

Parents aren't going to take their kids to see a nuclear murder robot holocaust movie during the holidays. Genisys should've been released by itself, sometime in mid August.

When I saw it on Friday the row in front of me was a parent and her three kids aged between 8 and 14.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

- Surely given the box office results Arnie's career is done. Have any of his recent movies done well at all?

Are you serious? People love Arnold and probably will until the day he dies - and then he'll be remembered as one of the best. The fact is 'old... not obsolete' applies as much to Arnold as it does the T-800. Even old and grey, Arnold still demonstrates that he's a fantastic action hero and just can't be matched by the new crop of people like Courtney and Worthington. I can't think of any actor who is as beloved as Arnold is - I know heaps of people who are going to see this film, even with the bad trailers and horrible marketing images, simply because "Arnold's being the Terminator again!!!'

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

How did they not take the opportunity to have a gigantic liquid metal Pops smack the poo poo out of nano terminator during that last fight? Just like, have Pops control the whole pool at once.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Victorkm posted:

How did they not take the opportunity to have a gigantic liquid metal Pops smack the poo poo out of nano terminator during that last fight? Just like, have Pops control the whole pool at once.

Pops needs an army of Terminators and gently caress Skynet up...alongside Robocop.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just rewatched the original Terminator too and they hosed up not giving Emilia Clarke 80s hair. And not having more synthesizers in the soundtrack.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
They hosed up a lot of opportunities and attention to detail that Cameron would have nailed. The kind of movie this is I'm not surprised no one gave a poo poo but to get some dough.

Can't wait for rights to go to Cameron and he lets it die with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gatts posted:

Pops needs an army of Terminators and gently caress Skynet up...alongside Robocop.

That's what happened in the original RoboCop VS Terminator comic.

RoboCop became part of Skynet, waited for a few decades, then seized control of a factory and mass produced Terminator Robo Cops and marched them against Skynet. He gave himself a super advanced high tech body, eradicated Skynet in the future, went back to the past, and suicide bombed Skynet there erasing it from history.

Skynet tried to send back on last Terminator in a panic but overshot, and it got destroyed by a T-Rex.

• Locked thread