Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah, lets dismiss the political themes of a game made in the USSR where you have an endless task that is impossible to achieve :rolleyes:

It's what I'm doing. All I'm really interested in is getting a high score. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Archer666 posted:

It's what I'm doing. All I'm really interested in is getting a high score. :shrug:

Super, which is just as valid of a thing to do as someone else that wants to make a political point about the game in a blog or video or even someone that wanted to call for boycotting Tetris because the inventor was unfairly compensated.

I just thought it was funny that Tetris kinda proves the point that politics and gaming have gone together since the get-go. Even Pong's early beginnings have political roots.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Junkfist posted:

No.

These people are objectively wrong.

If there is no gameplay in the videogame, it is just video.

I suppose Zork was "just reading things" and not a game?

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

SedanChair posted:

I suppose Zork was "just reading things" and not a game?

Did you type a thing and hit enter? This is a limited form of gameplay.

Would this be your 2015 GoTY contender or is the point system too traditional for you?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I don't think any of you understand what "gameplay" means.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Obdicut posted:

This was a weird post. First, yes, I do know a lot of 'extraordinary' women--I teach kickboxing, and I know a lot of six foot tall, athletic women. In addition, 'muscling' something around is partially being used to doing it and being dexterous, not just the actual muscle mass. If you are used to lifting and moving around stuff, you're better at it than someone who is not. This is part of the reason why 'women' in general aren't as 'strong' as men, they're raised to not use their bodies in the same way. If you get a woman who actually does a lot of physical activity, it's not just that she'll be stronger in terms of muscle mass, she'll also be better able to use that mass.
The implication of this observation is that what I posted (muscle mass) is an underestimation of the true difference.
Whatever you said about the average women not being able to use their muscles you can add on top of her muscle mass deficit.

For what it's worth, I (a man) used to kickbox a bit and was thrown to the floor by a few women - women who could beat up men much better fighters than me (I was, as is of course so obvious as to be barely worth mentioning, always very poo poo at this). Yet, if by (physically) "stronger" you mean anything but kickboxing, I was much stronger than all of them.

Obdicut posted:

My contention was 'By being male, you're not stronger than every woman you meet'. What you posted has nothing to do with that. Did you get confused and think I was asserting that the average man isn't, pound for pound, stronger in raw physical force than the average woman?
By being male, you're stronger than the vast majority of women you'll meet.
That was one thing you can take from my post, and you can put a number on that.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

Most, if not all, of the women I know who aren't literal geriatrics (and even some that are!) can lift 100lbs. Am I surrounded by Amazonian super-women or are they all juicing? I need to know before any of them try out for Major League Baseball so a timely answer is appreciated.
No idea what you mean by "lift".

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bholder posted:

I don't think any of you understand what "gameplay" means.
You murder the wolf. The wolf dies. You pick up its fur and sell it, eventually buying a better weapon. Now you can murder slightly bigger dogs.
And so on.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Obdicut posted:

In this case, it's because OMG JC a Bomb! was talking about what the 'bone of contention' was, but I didn't feel it accurately represented what's under contention, especially because he himself posted a lot of posts about how Sarkeesian is Bad.

This is really similar to the answer I gave you last time you asked an almost identical question.

I was just saying that I suspected her of being motivated by profit rather than a genuine desire to promote womens' interest, and couldn't support her. Then some guy started getting mad and namedropping his favorite philosopher, and it all kind of snowballed from there

Not sure why what I said was controversial. I'm not wishing the plagues of Egypt on her, I'm just not interested in supporting her and her pretentious weirdo employer.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Junkfist posted:

Did you type a thing and hit enter? This is a limited form of gameplay.

Would this be your 2015 GoTY contender or is the point system too traditional for you?

What's wrong with gameplay being "limited"? Running around in an open environment and shooting things is "limited." Everything is "limited." Why does the year matter? Are we supposed to ignore simpler or less resource intensive forms of gameplay because it's 2015? Fun games are fun games. If you disagree that a game is fun, go cry about how journalists don't agree with you.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

I was just saying that I suspected her of being motivated by profit rather than a genuine desire to promote womens' interest, and couldn't support her. Then some guy started getting mad and namedropping his favorite philosopher, and it all kind of snowballed from there

Not sure why what I said was controversial. I'm not wishing the plagues of Egypt on her, I'm just not interested in supporting her and her pretentious weirdo employer.
Can somebody armchair psychoanalyse this shift of hatred from Sarkeesian to McIntosh?

My personal intuition is it's a subconscious "Of course I'm not a sexist, but where do I go with all my hatred?" sublimation.
Though maybe it's anger that a man could join the jewwoman camp. RaceGender traitor!!

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
Holy poo poo who cares about whether or not an FMV game is goty worthy

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Gamergate cares.

Thankfully. Who else would?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Super, which is just as valid of a thing to do as someone else that wants to make a political point about the game in a blog or video or even someone that wanted to call for boycotting Tetris because the inventor was unfairly compensated.

I just thought it was funny that Tetris kinda proves the point that politics and gaming have gone together since the get-go. Even Pong's early beginnings have political roots.

As long as we agree that's there's nothing wrong with not reading deeply into every single thing, then we're cool.

On the whole "What makes a game" thing, don't we already have sub categories for everything? If Dear Esther can be a game, everything can be a game I think...

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SedanChair posted:

What's wrong with gameplay being "limited"? Running around in an open environment and shooting things is "limited." Everything is "limited." Why does the year matter? Are we supposed to ignore simpler or less resource intensive forms of gameplay because it's 2015? Fun games are fun games. If you disagree that a game is fun, go cry about how journalists don't agree with you.

This is why Papers Please is an Objectively worse game than APB Reloaded. Papers Please has very limited gameplay while APB Reloaded has open world interactions. QED. :v:

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

SedanChair posted:

But games shouldn't be "fun" either

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The perfect game is MS Paint. I can create my own adventure, without any restrictions.

It's also much better than reality, where I have a lot of restrictions, or chess, which is ridiculously restricted.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Bholder posted:

God knows most board games aren't. I mean its called bored games for a reason amirite.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cingulate posted:

No idea what you mean by "lift".

Please refer to noted gender expert Minarchist for the correct definition and how no woman can possibly do it without years of injecting bull testosterone between their toes.

Not an Owl
Oct 29, 2011

Cingulate posted:

Can somebody armchair psychoanalyse this shift of hatred from Sarkeesian to McIntosh?

My personal intuition is it's a subconscious "Of course I'm not a sexist, but where do I go with all my hatred?" sublimation.
Though maybe it's anger that a man could join the jewwoman camp. RaceGender traitor!!

They hate both Anita and McIntosh equally. However, pointing out that a man is the real "brains behind everything" instead of a woman is supposed to discredit the feminist implications of the movement somehow.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
Look at all these scrubs who have never known the joy of a text adventure.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bholder posted:

Games aren't as fun as when you were ten years old. Who stole fun from the games?!

'Gamers': the liberal-jewish-feminist conspiracy is hoarding all the fun, censoring our free speech, forcing games to be more multicultural and so-on. If we simply 'deregulated' the industry and got rid of such things as affirmative action, the invisible hand will carry us back to the state of innocence of when I was ten years old.

'SJWs': games were fun when I was ten, but now I'm aware of insane neonazis on the Internet. The games industry really needs to be made more multicultural, like Starbucks. If major corporations simply tell gamers that racism is bad, these rednecks will have to stop openly fantasizing about rape holocaust.

Reality: games have never been 'fun', and cannot be. The capitalist system that produces them is deleterious to human existence and cannot be reformed or purified. You will never be ten years old again, and no-one can be singled out for blame.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Not an Owl posted:

They hate both Anita and McIntosh equally. However, pointing out that a man is the real "brains behind everything" instead of a woman is supposed to discredit the feminist implications of the movement somehow.
That actually makes a lot of sense.

Who What Now posted:

Please refer to noted gender expert Minarchist for the correct definition and how no woman can possibly do it without years of injecting bull testosterone between their toes.
I guess Minarchist is talking about picking up small animals, considering he reliably encounters women who comfort small animals, and has to do it himself often enough to have a relevant comparison.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Look at all these scrubs who have never known the joy of a text adventure.
The best text adventure is notepad. I can play any game I want.

Actually, it's photopia.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cingulate posted:

Not much to it. McIntosh's opinions are so hilariously ridiculous and out of touch, they are hard not to ignore.

Anita looks reasonable in interviews and her videos didn't really carry his views. Also, previously the FemFreq Twitter was a lot less polarizing and abrasive compared to his. Though this has changed recently.

EDIT:
Some like the idiotic brains narrative, others feel he is actively hurting Anita's cause and think she would be better off without him. And still others just laugh at him. It depends.

Also a game does not have to be fun. However, it has to be engaging and not be boring. If you make your game unfun and boring, it will fail and frankly it deserves to.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 4, 2015

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dapper Dan posted:

Not much to it. McIntosh's opinions are so hilariously ridiculous and out of touch, they are hard not to ignore.
There are a lot of people whose views are much more ridiculous and out of touch than McIntosh, such as the people who believe in the lizard conspiracy or Obama Fema Muslim Death Camps. McIntosh is also really easy to ignore; I for example have never heard of him before I entered this thread.
You choose to not ignore McIntosh. The question is, why?

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

Cingulate posted:

There are a lot of people whose views are much more ridiculous and out of touch than McIntosh, such as the people who believe in the lizard conspiracy or Obama Fema Muslim Death Camps. McIntosh is also really easy to ignore; I for example have never heard of him before I entered this thread.

I chose to look at him for the same reason I chose to read The Weekend Web or Awful Link of the Day: Because sometimes it's fun to watch crazy people say crazy things.

Edit: Or a better example, the ten megathreads on D&D that exist only to ridicule idiots.

OMG JC a Bomb! fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 4, 2015

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Trabisnikof posted:

God knows most board games aren't. I mean its called bored games for a reason amirite.

I just got finished played six hours of Terra Mystica so how about we agree youre a dummy, and you need to pick up and study a copy of Caylus

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cingulate posted:

Because he is 50% of the most influential organization of cultural criticism in some people's only hobby?

And I find him hilarious. Same reason why people laugh at freepers or insane right wingers in this very forum. Why should this nut be spared from mockery and the others mocked?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

SedanChair posted:

Most of the people who complain about "limited gameplay" titles that they label as "not videogames" do so out of fear. They think that the success of games they don't like threatens the market for games they do like. This is, of course, silly because as time goes on, more kinds of games can be made due to new methods of funding and distribution, there's no replacing or pushing out going on. But gamers still fear "hardcore" games being threatened by "the casuals", "the SJWs", or "indie not-games".

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Motto posted:

Most of the people who complain about "limited gameplay" titles that they label as "not videogames" do so out of fear. They think that the success of games they don't like threatens the market for games they do like. This is, of course, silly because as time goes on, more kinds of games can be made due to new methods of funding and distribution, there's no replacing or pushing out going on. But gamers still fear "hardcore" games being threatened by "the casuals", "the SJWs", or "indie not-games".

Lets not pretend the fear isnt validated. Look at the immense number of idiots in the business world pushing Nintendo to go mobile.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Motto posted:

No, everyone will be forced to put on tan coveralls to hide their sex, and the only game on the market will be a flash game with a button you push that flashes text "YOU'RE RACIST"

The camel's nose is in the tent.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Ever since Nintendo posted its first quarterly loss in like 14 years back in 2014 there was no end to the "Nintendo is dead unless it gets into mobile" speculation. Even after they bounced back and started posting profits again, without touching mobile, you could still find one or two "Sure, Nintendo might look like it stabilized, but heres why they need to get into mobile!" articles every week.

Imagine if japanese companies actually listened to thier investors, or the public. They might have done it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cingulate posted:

That actually makes a lot of sense.
I guess Minarchist is talking about picking up small animals, considering he reliably encounters women who comfort small animals, and has to do it himself often enough to have a relevant comparison.

I'm guessing his analysis is flawed and it's not that he's surrounded be women who are incapable of lifting the equivalent of an healthy adolescent so much as wherever he works gets a tax break for hiring people who are mentally deficient and they need to give him something to do. But I've read Of Mice and Men before and I know that that isn't going to end well for anybody.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Meme Emulator posted:

Ever since Nintendo posted its first quarterly loss in like 14 years back in 2014 there was no end to the "Nintendo is dead unless it gets into mobile" speculation. Even after they bounced back and started posting profits again, without touching mobile, you could still find one or two "Sure, Nintendo might look like it stabilized, but heres why they need to get into mobile!" articles every week.

Imagine if japanese companies actually listened to thier investors, or the public. They might have done it.

They're making mobile games now though.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Meme Emulator posted:

Lets not pretend the fear isnt validated. Look at the immense number of idiots in the business world pushing Nintendo to go mobile.

Fear of mobile is just as silly. Some companies make bad decisions, as companies often do, but mobile has not come close to threatening traditional games. Square Enix has found much success in mobile, but just last month announced a bunch of traditional games for both mainstream and niche audiences.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Meme Emulator posted:

I'm pretty sure Nintendo, being one of the biggest companies in the industry, falling out of relevance and bringing itself back several times, has a good idea what it's doing.

People need not feel a paternalistic desire towards a corporation. If people do, perhaps it is them who are truly mentally ill.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Game journalists rave about quirky indie games over big-budget extravaganzas like Batman for the same reason film critics rave about quirky indie movies over the Transformers saga. No conspiracy needed.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Ddraig posted:

People need not feel a paternalistic desire towards a corporation. If people do, perhaps it is them who are truly mentally ill.

Corporations are people too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

SedanChair posted:

You're drawing an equivocation between a text game from 1980(?) to contemporary gameplay in defense of a 2 hour FMV game where you input search terms being considered 2015's GoTY.

Or is it to the bold contention that any form of gameplay is required to call something a game?

I could ask which and why, but I don't know what answer could possibly satisfy me.

• Locked thread