Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Another Person posted:

Finished the game at 76 hours, having done most of the quests I had come across that did not involve Gwent, and one level 2 quest (Dwarven Documents) which I didn't encounter until I was level 20.

All in all, best new game I have played this year. Very happy to have paid full price for it, something I can't say about some games. It scratched every itch. I only have a few problems.

2) I couldn't upgrade the basic armour set. I kept it with me the whole game, alongside my silver sword, Wolf, Hjalmar's Steel Sword, the one Crach gives you and basically any reward sword from someone Geralt would care about. I hoped I could do something with them, like make a super sword, or an upgraded base set, but no dice. They just ended up being deadweights. I would have appreciated being able to do that.

3) Somewhere to dump things down that you consider having sentimental value. Maybe put a dude in each map who just acts as a courier who will just send stuff you want to keep but don't want to carry to Geralt's room in Kaer Morhen. I know this isn't Skyrim, where you have a house in every town to dump poo poo, but in games I always like to keep things with sentimental value. I also tend to pick one junk item in every game and collect them whenever I see them. In Fallout it is cigarettes, in this it was pipes and dolls. I would've loved being able to send some of those useless swords somewhere to keep so I could continue carrying all of my valuable dolls and pipes.

6) Arena. I helped one become usable, so why do I only get to use it once?

I agree with these points. Especially not being able to upgrade weapons besides witcher gear. I came across a LOT of really cool looking, named swords with fancy hilts that were relics or magic and with pretty great stats, but after leveling a couple more times would become obsolete. That sucked a lot. This game is so large, and upgrading through crafting is pretty common in RPGs and yet....

I also never threw any letter, contract, book, or anything like that away because I like to collect! But now my inventory is overloaded with random poo poo that I'm hoarding for no good reason. I just never want to sell/toss cool things I might not come across again. I want a house, basically, is what I am saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I don't know why they got rid of storage chests at inns.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Some things to improve my experience:

-Put a different-coloured track on the mini map for custom markers. Sometimes I want to get to someplace outside of a quest that is far away, the way the roads are laid out means I often have check the map to see which way to go at crossroads.
-Make the horse follow the track for whatever marker you have active. Sometimes Roach is really dumb about turning the wrong way at a crossroad.
-For fucks sake, don't make the camera auto-center. Maybe it's handy when you're using a controller but I'm using a mouse and I want to look at the pretty landscape for longer than 3 seconds when horsie is on autopilot. :mad:

Edit: Also, for the UI: Remember which "headings" are collapsed and which aren't in the Beastiary and Alchemy tabs.

Captain Scandinaiva fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 4, 2015

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Arglebargle III posted:

As of 1.06 you can completely disable the HUD. You can play as if you're just watching Geralt with no information overlay at all. If you want.

! i did not know this. finally i can play death march the spergy way i need!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

That's a part of the quest line. I don't think you can avoid doing it to her because of how she blatantly uses it to use Geralt. No, it shouldn't because you don't have any options of further romancin'.

haha no you avoid it by saying "there's only one for me" and she calls geralt old fashioned or something

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
God I hate the loving fist fighting in this game. I must just suck at it because there's youtube videos of people at level 10 whooping on red skulled enemies without issue. I'm level 23 and can't even beat the guy at the end of the card tournament. :(

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dr. Capco posted:

God I hate the loving fist fighting in this game. I must just suck at it because there's youtube videos of people at level 10 whooping on red skulled enemies without issue. I'm level 23 and can't even beat the guy at the end of the card tournament. :(
Counter, quick attack three times, dodge straight back. Repeat. If you back off, your opponents will always open with a giant, slow right haymaker that's really easy to counter. If you try and stay in close or do fancy things, some have a wicked jab. You can also try the above pattern by substituting in heavy attacks, but you can usually only get two off and you have to be faster on your dodge back.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm liking this game immensely so far and I never really got into the original Witcher or its world. It drops you into a setting where there's a general sense of urgency, a strong plot hook and some desire to advance the story, but at the same time it doesn't overwhelm you with feature bloat right away. The quests in the starting area unfold the game's mechanics to you in an intuitive format that doesn't become boring. Inquisition was the last RPG I played that managed to accomplish the same thing, and I actually managed to finish that campaign, so I think I'm gonna make it through this one.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

exquisite tea posted:

I'm liking this game immensely so far and I never really got into the original Witcher or its world. It drops you into a setting where there's a general sense of urgency, a strong plot hook and some desire to advance the story, but at the same time it doesn't overwhelm you with feature bloat right away. The quests in the starting area unfold the game's mechanics to you in an intuitive format that doesn't become boring. Inquisition was the last RPG I played that managed to accomplish the same thing, and I actually managed to finish that campaign, so I think I'm gonna make it through this one.

Don't know how far you are but I was wondering how a player with little or no exposure to W1 and 2 is faring with the plethora of characters. I loved both W1 and 2 and played through them again prior to Witcher 3 and a lot of characters I already have opinions of and have vested interest of sorts in.

As a new player do the things like the love triangle in the game seem important or engaging to you? For example I was thrilled as gently caress when in mid Act 1 I could crush Yennifer's soul after breaking the Djinn spell. Triss was a lodge member but she always seemed to at least torn when having to do something shady to you in the first 2 games. Meanwhile Yen treats you like a loving dog and expects you to like it cuz she spreads her legs for you on occasion

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I really regret not doing the djinn sidequest in my "Geralt wuvs Triss" run. I just told her to go gently caress herself when she asked me to help her to try and enslave ANOTHER djinn.Because I never did the quest, I didn't really get to definitively end my relationship with Yen. I guess it just fizzled out when it was clear I didn't want anything to do with her, which is fine except I never get the chance to tell Yennefer how I really feel about her.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

This is by far the best open-world RPG I've ever played.

edit: I only have two very, very minor issues:

1. Sometimes it's difficult to interact with the object you want (when looting or examining). It seems you have to be standing at specific spots for the interaction to become an option.
2. Horse mechanics are unbelievably awesome and fun, but occasionally the horse gets stuck in the terrain, as in running in place when its way is blocked by something. I wish it automatically jumped over things it could jump over, or at least skid to a halt and let you turn more easily.

Again though, it's very easy to overlook these since the game as a whole is so crazy good.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 5, 2015

cams
Mar 28, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

1. Sometimes it's difficult to interact with the object you want (when looting or examining). It seems you have to be standing at specific spots for the interaction to become an option.
the witcher is a game where you go around lighting and extinguishing candles with your magical powers.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug

Ravenfood posted:

Counter, quick attack three times, dodge straight back. Repeat. If you back off, your opponents will always open with a giant, slow right haymaker that's really easy to counter. If you try and stay in close or do fancy things, some have a wicked jab. You can also try the above pattern by substituting in heavy attacks, but you can usually only get two off and you have to be faster on your dodge back.

Turns out I've had my strong attack button bound to the wrong mouse key this whole time. I am a stupid. :downs:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

MikeC posted:

Don't know how far you are but I was wondering how a player with little or no exposure to W1 and 2 is faring with the plethora of characters. I loved both W1 and 2 and played through them again prior to Witcher 3 and a lot of characters I already have opinions of and have vested interest of sorts in.

As a new player do the things like the love triangle in the game seem important or engaging to you? For example I was thrilled as gently caress when in mid Act 1 I could crush Yennifer's soul after breaking the Djinn spell. Triss was a lodge member but she always seemed to at least torn when having to do something shady to you in the first 2 games. Meanwhile Yen treats you like a loving dog and expects you to like it cuz she spreads her legs for you on occasion

It's actually making it way easier to play Geralt as a disinterested gently caress who cares only for fast gold and profit.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

exquisite tea posted:

It's actually making it way easier to play Geralt as a disinterested gently caress who cares only for fast gold and profit.
If you're not playing Geralt as a Cool Dad, you're playing him wrong. :colbert:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Ash1138 posted:

Hair effects and to a lesser extent foliage view distance, foliage density, and shadow quality are the biggest hits roughly in that order. Going from Ultra to High for the last three helped keep things above 60fps all the time (certain cutscenes excluded) on my 970. Also motion blur is off because I never like motion blur effects.

I have a 970 as well, and only an i2500K, but I get 45 FPS with almost everything* maxed out. Which is good enough for me, since I can't tell the difference between 45 FPS and 60 FPS.

*The only exception is Nvidia Hairworks or whatever, which results in a solid 10 FPS decrease.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Yeah, hairworks dropped my FPS down to like 50 instead of 60, which isn't a huge deal but I also prefer to have it at 60 and just like Tomb Raider, not having the hair stuff on didn't make that much of a difference. I've seen videos of hairworks on and honestly it doesn't look like it's THAT amazing

MikeC posted:

For me, someone who didn't play W1 or 2, and knew nothing about these characters I liked both Yen and Triss, but the game seemed to very much want me to go with Yen, and honestly from what I could see, Geralt LIKED being bossed around and treated like a dog by Yen so. Simply from a story perspective it didn't make sense not to go with Yen. Although I liked Yen a little bit more than Triss either way

I had no idea who any of the characters were before going in, but I loving loved Dandelion so if he's a worse character in W1 and 2, then I'm glad I only know him from this game

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Geralt struck me as liking Yen more in general and a lot of people who complain about her personality tend to come off like she's setting off weird hangups or issues they might have.

Besides, I'm not Geralt and it feels weird to force my own tastes on him when he's an established character with his own stories.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I mean not to be all pots and kettles but when you have people in thread saying that people who pick Yen have brain problems, that's not exactly the best way to sell an opinion.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Yen is hot and frustrating, the red head is hot and annoying, Siri is hot and your daughter. Should've done the four way with the crones.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Geralt is a single dad in my game. He drops his daughter off at school on weekdays, wears New Balance sneaks on Saturday, and kills griffins on Sundays. Cool dad. I hosed Triss and Yen right off, because nobody talks down to their partner, that is a bad relationship basis, and Triss was just like a mopey lost little puppy. I never felt a moment of attachment to either of them. The Djinn kind of explained all of Geralt's dopiness around Yen to me, so after that quest it was just constant bickering.

Also, I was kind of surprised that the quest where you play fencing instructor for that woman. I've played too much Bioware, so I expected it to end with you sleeping with her. Pleasantly surprised it didn't end that way, since she is like 1/5th your age by the looks of it. It felt like there should have been more follow up at the end there though, where she either gets pissed off with you and you end up fighting some Nilfguard troops, or she gets herself into even more dumb trouble for being too high and mighty and you have to save her again.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah I was like 100% certain that quest would end with a three way. I think they wrote that on purpose to get people to think it would.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Am I the only one who thought fallout 4 looked boring as poo poo at e3 after playing wild hunt?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
no

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

It'll probably be fun and I will have fun playing it but Bethesda seriously needs to step up their game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

echronorian posted:

Am I the only one who thought fallout 4 looked boring as poo poo at e3 after playing wild hunt?

Fallout 4 would've looked boring even without playing Wild Hunt

Doom also looked like poo poo but people ate that garbage up too so :shrug:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I had no idea who any of the characters were before going in, but I loving loved Dandelion so if he's a worse character in W1 and 2, then I'm glad I only know him from this game

Dandelion is one of the few characters who owns in equal measure across all three games. In the first he destroys a ghost with poetry. In the second he rocks a succubus' body just because.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

Dandelion is one of the few characters who owns in equal measure across all three games. In the first he destroys a ghost with poetry. In the second he rocks a succubus' body just because.

Scene in W2 in which he walks into the succubus trap was hilarious.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Doom also looked like poo poo but people ate that garbage up too so :shrug:

Ya I dunno why they spent forever talking about how fast you are in Doom and then show slow clunky exploration. They should play the Shadow Warrior reboot for a clue on what a modern 90s shooter would look and feel like.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

So apparently I messed up with the werewolf on Skielliga with Yennifer because I never got the option to cure the curse? At one point the quest had me go talk to a guy in some village but that didn't offer any new opportunities. Whenever I ran into the wolf again, the only options I had were: feed it, kill it, talk to it about a reward. Sooo, I think my conscience can live with not killing an unkillable werewolf, but how did I break the scripting, cause I'm now off to find the bloody baron's ugly Gwent winnings child.

So something must have broken.

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012

Another Person posted:

2) I couldn't upgrade the basic armour set. I kept it with me the whole game, alongside my silver sword, Wolf, Hjalmar's Steel Sword, the one Crach gives you and basically any reward sword from someone Geralt would care about. I hoped I could do something with them, like make a super sword, or an upgraded base set, but no dice. They just ended up being deadweights. I would have appreciated being able to do that.
There are some Witcher armor and weapon sets which you can upgrade after you discover their schematics.

Another Person posted:

5) What happens with Priscilla? After her questline ends, I never see her again. Considering she was lined up as someone important to Dandelion, I would have expected to see her again. Only time I noticed a lack of follow up.
If you end with the "Ciri becomes emperor's heir" ending (which started in snowy White Orchard tavern) you can actually talk to Dandelion and he tells you that she is recovering well.

Another Person posted:

7) Not enough Voorhis. I loved that guy. I need to see more of him. I was so disappointed with the siege of Kaer Morhen when I wasn't allowed to invite him along. I mean, the siege was great regardless, but I don't get why I couldn't take him with me. I know the emperor wanted to send along a regiment, but why couldn't I speak to just Voorhis and convince him to come along on his own? He was always astoundingly friendly to Geralt, so I don't see any bad blood or trust issues between them, and you end up taking Ciri to the Emperor after the siege anyway. So why not just include him as an option there? This is doubly so, since reading the Wikia to find out if he is someone I was supposed to know before this game I found out that he is a major character going forwards.
Yeah, I'm wondering about this as well. From the gameplay technical perspective most likely it's because having hundreds of Nilfgaardian/allied soldiers at Kaer Morhen will make the game very easy to play. Storywise though, I also wonder why Geralt just outright reject reinforcement soldiers led by Voorhis.

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012

Snuffman posted:

So apparently I messed up with the werewolf on Skielliga with Yennifer because I never got the option to cure the curse? At one point the quest had me go talk to a guy in some village but that didn't offer any new opportunities. Whenever I ran into the wolf again, the only options I had were: feed it, kill it, talk to it about a reward. Sooo, I think my conscience can live with not killing an unkillable werewolf, but how did I break the scripting, cause I'm now off to find the bloody baron's ugly Gwent winnings child.

So something must have broken.
You need to enter a certain building in the garden and read journal(s), which promptly reveals that the guy in the village turned out to be the werewolf's former henchman. From there he might be able to give you some new information...

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Section 31 posted:

Storywise though, I also wonder why Geralt just outright reject reinforcement soldiers led by Voorhis.
I assumed it was because Voorhis would obviously have orders to grab Cirri the moment the WH was defeated. Geralt wanted command of the troops.

But then he ends up working directly with the emperor and his troops on Skellige so :shrug:

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
The Bloody Baron is the first video game character in a long, long time where I truly cared about what happened to him.

I'm in my second playthrough right now, and after having killed the tree spirit on my first playthrough I was ready to let it live this time around - but I knew doing it would leave the Baron to hang himself. So when it came time to free the spirit I just couldn't do it and killed the tree all over again... sorry little orphan kiddies :ohdear:

I regret nothing!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Slugnoid posted:

The Bloody Baron is the first video game character in a long, long time where I truly cared about what happened to him.

I'm in my second playthrough right now, and after having killed the tree spirit on my first playthrough I was ready to let it live this time around - but I knew doing it would leave the Baron to hang himself. So when it came time to free the spirit I just couldn't do it and killed the tree all over again... sorry little orphan kiddies :ohdear:

I regret nothing!

That choice isn't so much morally ambiguous as it is well-disguised. If you have a better idea of the tree spirit's true nature, it's blatantly using the children's lives and Geralt's predicament to cloud his judgement and dupe him into releasing it. It probably would have killed the children too if, like the Crones, it wasn't honor-bound to keep its word (and the kids are screwed anyway, being either orphans or unwanted). The Bloody Baron's questline is one of those situations where everything is so lovely that all the choices left to you are bad ones, you just have to try and mitigate the damage.

I went through the last two Witcher games with no strong prejudices against any one type of person (besides the rich, always be on your guard around those stinkin' bougie types), but the Wild Hunt's left me feeling vitalist as hell. Fuckin ghosts, man, always trying to get one over on you.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
quote is not edit

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

MikeC posted:

I actually felt so bad about my initial choice that I reloaded to not be a heartbreaker. Like, I legitimately felt bad for a moment.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
Does anyone know if Tamara ever turns up again in the game after Return to Crookback Bog? I figured that if she was going to join the witch hunters I might wind up fighting her later or something, but I never came across her again on my first playthrough..

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Yen is the type of woman who will bitch at you when you get home for going out with your friends. Triss is the type of woman that gets pissed that you don't go out with your friends and wants to come along and have fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Section 31 posted:

You need to enter a certain building in the garden and read journal(s), which promptly reveals that the guy in the village turned out to be the werewolf's former henchman. From there he might be able to give you some new information...

Interesting, there's a building with locked doors but I never found a key.

Also a sub-grotto-cave area Geralt can sense air coming through. So the game is saying HAY-USE-GRAPESHOT, but that's not an option.

I feel like the "contract" and storyline quest got confused at some point. Oh well.