Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

BarbarianElephant posted:

Game journalists rave about quirky indie games over big-budget extravaganzas like Batman for the same reason film critics rave about quirky indie movies over the Transformers saga. No conspiracy needed.

Well more like quirky indie movies vs The Grand Budapest Hotel. (Not saying some AAA games are as well crafted but YOU GET THE POINT)

As with hollywood a certain degree of excellence (cynically read: competency) is expected. Though being AAA poo poo will sell gangbusters hands down provided a modicum of effort was spent on the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

http://www.gameranx.com/features/id/28987/article/manufactored-controversy-what-s-fire-emblem-have-to-do-with-gay-conversion-therapy/

Ian Miles Cheong hasnt been a darling in the anti crowd for a while because hes been walking away from the party line recently. He just posted another article disagreeing with them

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Ill have a quick lol at anyone describing Japan as a 'sex positive culture'

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Meme Emulator posted:

Ill have a quick lol at anyone describing Japan as a 'sex positive culture'

Japan is actually very sex positive, so long as you do not directly speak about, pantomime, allude to, or even think about sex in any way, shape, or form.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
When I look for sex positive countries the first ones I look at are the ones with shrinking populations.

They know The Horrible Truth.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Oh wait, Im thinking of Arther Chu as being the antiGG darling. Ian Miles Cheong is someone elseentirely, and I think he has something to do with Hitler?

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
Japan is a very sexual country.

It's just that it's hard to find all the necessary parts beneath the mass of pixels that appears anytime someone disrobes.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Which results in people not having it. Wasn't there some study where some ridiculous number of japanese 20-somethings were virgins, like 30%?

e: Here's an article. Some of those stats are crazy.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/10/22/japans-sexual-apathy-is-endangering-the-global-economy/

Motto fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 5, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Junkfist posted:

You're drawing an equivocation between a text game from 1980(?) to contemporary gameplay in defense of a 2 hour FMV game where you input search terms being considered 2015's GoTY.

Or is it to the bold contention that any form of gameplay is required to call something a game?

You already admitted that the game you refuse to call a game has gameplay, albeit "limited" whatever that means. Who cares whether gameplay is "contemporary" or not? Who would judge a game on how "contemporary" it is? Followers? Joiners? Dupes?

quote:

I could ask which and why, but I don't know what answer could possibly satisfy me.

You could have shortened the entire conversation to this.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

SedanChair posted:

You already admitted that the game you refuse to call a game has gameplay, albeit "limited" whatever that means.

Junkfist posted:

There's this little game called "Her Story" that just came out. It's fine. It's a perfectly fine little murder mystery game.

I don't where you planned to go with all this but it's ok to be wrong and we can talk about Japan instead.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SedanChair posted:

Who cares whether gameplay is "contemporary"

Not in defense of anyone but its the same way you would call cinematography and film production contemporary. The difference between a spaghetti western and an equivaent action film today.

The use of techniques and styles common for the time. Example: For the 90s/PS1 era Tank controls could be called contemporary.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Meme Emulator posted:

http://www.gameranx.com/features/id/28987/article/manufactored-controversy-what-s-fire-emblem-have-to-do-with-gay-conversion-therapy/

Ian Miles Cheong hasnt been a darling in the anti crowd for a while because hes been walking away from the party line recently. He just posted another article disagreeing with them

quote:

In fact, it references a Japanese genre of fiction called Class S Relationships. According to the trope, adolescent Japanese girls to experiment with their sexuality and enter into same-sex relationships. After a certain age, girls are expected to stop getting involved in these types of relationships and identify as lesbian or bisexual, or simply identify as heterosexual.

Do the stories in that genre end with a character getting an S-class sex license?

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Motto posted:

Which results in people not having it. Wasn't there some study where some ridiculous number of japanese 20-somethings were virgins, like 30%?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/10/22/japans-sexual-apathy-is-endangering-the-global-economy/

Yeah, its been documented as Japanese 'herbivores', but this is the first time I've heard rates of celibacy were that high. It is pretty crazy to think that sort of thing is actually going to murder their economy.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Junkfist posted:

I don't where you planned to go with all this but it's ok to be wrong and we can talk about Japan instead.

The truth came out in your subsequent posting. You didn't think it was as much of a "game" as some FPS.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

fatherboxx posted:

Do the stories in that genre end with a character getting an S-class sex license?

If it's anything like Gran Turismo they probably give up on the lower ones and only obsessives go for the full S-class.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

SedanChair posted:

The truth came out in your subsequent posting. You didn't think it was as much of a "game" as some FPS.

If youre looking at video games critically then its important to develop a proper taxonomy of video games. The word "game" has been around a lot longer than the late 70s games should have to meet certain requirements. This is a topic that has been done to death and people may or may not agree on whether Her Story (or Phoenix Wright, for that matter, or any other number of narrative heavy video games with little decision making) would be classified as games, or puzzles, or something else like interactive fiction.

Of course we are speaking casually, so 'game' in this context is just a shortening of video game.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Motto posted:

When the working culture is as oppressive as theirs, its not really a surprise that people lock up in themselves and forgo other people. It doesn't help that companies prefer to exploit this system by providing people with easy escapisms like dating video games and such.

Then again I'm a European talking about a culture I haven't experienced so yeah.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Meme Emulator posted:

That article is loving hilarious. "Fire Emblem isn't homophobic because it's invoking sexual orientation conversion therapy, it's just referencing a cultural tradition of insinuating that homosexuality equates with immaturity and part of growing up is getting over those feelings to find the straight person you must actually be."

I really want to see how that whole plot gets localized eventually. Because even on top of that layer, you also have how this conversion comes about because the male main character spikes a woman's drink in such a way that changes her personality and serves as the seed for a romantic relationship with him.

CaptainFish
Mar 31, 2011

It's Psy-Crow my mortal Enemy! I swear my soily vengeance upon him and his fowl ilk!

Meme Emulator posted:

would be classified as games, or puzzles, or something else like interactive fiction.

Those are all games, and junkfist even said Her Story is a game. Even if he doesn't value the gameplay, he's not making that semantic argument. Which is good, because it's like the shittiest way to have a discourse about games.

Her Story seems pretty cool.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Meme Emulator posted:

If youre looking at video games critically then its important to develop a proper taxonomy of video games. The word "game" has been around a lot longer than the late 70s games should have to meet certain requirements.

What did you mean to say here?

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

SedanChair posted:

It's categorically a game, but if you think the limited scope and dimension of gameplay in the FMV search engine of "Her Story" is offset enough by its presentation and narrative to elevate it to 2015's Game of the Year well...you're welcome to the challenge of selling that viewpoint.

All things considered I think you'd have a better shot with HuniePop.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

SedanChair posted:

What did you mean to say here?

Games have been around for millenia and require a win condition and competition. Just because video games exist now doesnt stop chess and baseball from being games.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Archer666 posted:

When the working culture is as oppressive as theirs, its not really a surprise that people lock up in themselves and forgo other people. It doesn't help that companies prefer to exploit this system by providing people with easy escapisms like dating video games and such.

And then there's the existence of host/hostess clubs to simulate relationships by paying people to pretend to like you so you have somebody to talk and vent with.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Junkfist posted:

It's categorically a game, but if you think the limited scope and dimension of gameplay in the FMV search engine of "Her Story" is offset enough by its presentation and narrative to elevate it to 2015's Game of the Year well...you're welcome to the challenge of selling that viewpoint.

All things considered I think you'd have a better shot with HuniePop.

You seem hugely invested in what is GOTY or not. Why?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

thefncrow posted:

That article is loving hilarious. "Fire Emblem isn't homophobic because it's invoking sexual orientation conversion therapy, it's just referencing a cultural tradition of insinuating that homosexuality equates with immaturity and part of growing up is getting over those feelings to find the straight person you must actually be."
To make it especially depressing for you, Class S refers specifically to female homosexuality, which has had even more trouble building traction and support groups than male homosexuality in Japan. And he's being really generous in how he describes Class S ending with girls being expected to "identify as lesbian or bisexual, or simply identify as heterosexual". The stereotypical Class S story ends with girls getting married off or meeting a tragic end if they're genuinely lesbians and not just playing around.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Cheong's a tiny nazi man and an opportunist who'll change his opinions repeatedly to increase his Q rating with whatever demographic he thinks will lead to more traffic.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Meme Emulator posted:

Games have been around for millenia and require a win condition and competition.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_resemblance

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Meme Emulator posted:

Games have been around for millenia and require a win condition and competition.

Plenty of arcade games don't have a win condition.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

SedanChair posted:

You seem hugely invested in what is GOTY or not. Why?

You're been confusing me with this guy who I was responding to:

Obdicut posted:

I also don't get why you think it's obvious a FMV game shouldn't get an best game award over MSGV or XCOM2. Why are the latter inherently better games? Just the genre/format of the game?

Obdicut posted:

Okay, but why does that mean a FMV game can't win game of the year? You seem to be saying it can't because it's an FMV, but that's just circular logic.

Obdicut posted:

This is still circular reasoning. Why do the things you listed above mean it can't be game of the year?

Again, I'm asking why it's silly. What are the criteria you're using for 'game of the year'?

Since 'game of the year' is inherently subjective, just like 'oscar winner', I don't get why anyone says it 'should' or 'shouldn't' win.

He's the guy I disagreed with when he said videogames don't have to have any gameplay and this confused you into thinking I said "Her Story" wasn't a game, somehow.

EDIT: Let me take this moment to make this as clear as possible: Videogames must have some form of gameplay and the game "Her Story" is not a serious contender for 2015's GoTY but an ok 6 dollar game if you're into murder mysteries or crime stories.

Junkfist fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 5, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Junkfist posted:

EDIT: Let me take this moment to make this as clear as possible: Videogames must have some form of gameplay and the game "Her Story" is not a serious contender for 2015's GoTY but an ok 6 dollar game if you're into murder mysteries or crime stories.

Again, you're desperate to keep reiterating this, as if soothing yourself. What do you think is being endangered by it getting positive attention?

e: can a "6 dollar game" not compete for GOTY?

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

SedanChair posted:

Again, you're desperate to keep reiterating this, as if soothing yourself. What do you think is being endangered by it getting positive attention?

e: can a "6 dollar game" not compete for GOTY?

Junkfist posted:

It is in my humble opinion that this game where you search out FMVs in a search box to find keywords to more FMVs for a couple hours poses no existential threat to videogames nor is it the salvation to videogames, but to say this is the most important game of 2015 is silly.

At this point the only desperation I'm feeling is my desperate longing for you to get something right in our conversation, you're demonstrably 0 for 3.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Junkfist posted:

There's this little game called "Her Story" that just came out. It's fine. It's a perfectly fine little murder mystery game. It's 6 bucks. It's FMVs where you piece together a fragmented series of police interviews. The actress does alright. Sam Barlow, the guy who wrote Silent Hill: Shattered Memories wrote it. You can get it done in two or so hours. You can 100% it in another. It's fine. It is a serviceable, ok game and I would suggest it to you if you like this kind of thing. It's fine.

If you look at the industry's response to it in some circles it was the second coming. They got it trending with reviews about how it was such an important, brilliant game and a serious game of the year contender and so important for the future of games and blah blah blah blah blah it's a loving FMV game. It has like an hour and forty-five minutes of footage. MGSV and XCOM2 come out later this year, goddamn.

You seemed just a little upset that this game with its baffling not-shooting gameplay was getting praise instead of your precious sequels. I mean now you're retreating to "it's not a threat" but you are playing both sides here. It's both an affront to you and no big deal at the same time.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

SedanChair posted:

You seemed just a little upset that this game with its baffling not-shooting gameplay was getting praise instead of your precious sequels. I mean now you're retreating to "it's not a threat" but you are playing both sides here. It's both an affront to you and no big deal at the same time.

This is how I seemed to you because I didn't say this little game I liked was Game of the Year?

...what?

People can have moderate opinions about things, SedanChair. It's ok.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

Meme Emulator posted:

Oh wait, Im thinking of Arther Chu as being the antiGG darling. Ian Miles Cheong is someone elseentirely, and I think he has something to do with Hitler?

Cheong was a former (Asian) neo-nazi in his youth who saw the error of his ways and became a Born Again SJW for a many years, writing lovely identity politics-infused gaming articles and unsurprisingly was virulently anti-GG when it began and one of their darlings like Chu. He's since taken a step back and realised the toxicity of his own side and apologised and attempted to adopt a more moderate position.

This doesn't surprise me, someone with the capacity to leap from extreme right to extreme left must at least have something in his brain that allows him to consider other arguments and self-reflect. Naturally anti-GG loathes him for becoming moderate while GG appreciates his honesty and reflection.

I expect Chu to go the same way. He's crazy but he's at least aware of his own craziness. His whole 'mindkill' screed supports this, a tacit admission that to be a feminist you need to purge the Bad Thoughts even though they're the right thoughts because only under willful self-delusion can he and his ideology function and make sense while being nonsense.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Welcome back, gamergate thread! I have taken the opportunity my three day probation gave me to observe the ways of tumblr as to see why are they so offended by games, and I have seen the light! I now identify as a demisexual forumkin and my first hashtag twitter campaign will be for the removal of this thread, as the bad posting herein is very triggering to my threadmates.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Again, I feel the need to reiterate that all of this is the result of years of buildup, over many different things, which is why so many different opinions have come out of it.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Totalizator posted:

Welcome back, gamergate thread! I have taken the opportunity my three day probation gave me to observe the ways of tumblr as to see why are they so offended by games, and I have seen the light! I now identify as a demisexual forumkin and my first hashtag twitter campaign will be for the removal of this thread, as the bad posting herein is very triggering to my threadmates.

Be the change you wish to see.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Cingulate posted:

By being male, you're stronger than the vast majority of women you'll meet.
That was one thing you can take from my post, and you can put a number on that.

Cool, didn't have anything to do with what I posted. However, also wrong. Lots of men are like 5' and not stronger than the average woman. You mean what you said--average male stronger than the average female. I'm glad this has been established, but nobody was arguing otherwise.

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

I was just saying that I suspected her of being motivated by profit rather than a genuine desire to promote womens' interest, and couldn't support her. Then some guy started getting mad and namedropping his favorite philosopher, and it all kind of snowballed from there

Not sure why what I said was controversial. I'm not wishing the plagues of Egypt on her, I'm just not interested in supporting her and her pretentious weirdo employer.

Nah, you also did weird poo poo like bringing up the job she had at age 23, comparing her to Machinima and claiming she should match their output, etc. etc. Remember? It was just a little while ago so it's strange that you forgot what you did so quickly.

Junkfist posted:

You're drawing an equivocation between a text game from 1980(?) to contemporary gameplay in defense of a 2 hour FMV game where you input search terms being considered 2015's GoTY.

Or is it to the bold contention that any form of gameplay is required to call something a game?

I could ask which and why, but I don't know what answer could possibly satisfy me.

Yeah, sometimes you'll get something like 4'33 and people will really like it, precisely because it is different from everything else. I'm sorry, but this stuff is subjective, not objective, and it's really okay. It's just a game of the year award, it really doesn't mean anything. There's like a billion different places giving out game of the year awards.

Totalizator posted:

Man such relevant and hip commentary, i've never seen humor like that before. I'm blown away, this kid is inhuman.

The Droid posted:

Again, I feel the need to reiterate that all of this is the result of years of buildup, over many different things, which is why so many different opinions have come out of it.

What is 'all of this'? People were complaining about games journalism before this. The new stuff really seems to be the freaking out about having games criticized from a cultural standpoint.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Just so I can understand, what are the 2 sides in gamer gate arguing for/about? One is tard and the other retard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

gnarlyhotep posted:

Just so I can understand, what are the 2 sides in gamer gate arguing for/about? One is tard and the other retard?

quote:

Games aren't as fun as when you were ten years old. Who stole fun from the games?!

'Gamers': the liberal-jewish-feminist conspiracy is hoarding all the fun, censoring our free speech, forcing games to be more multicultural and so-on. If we simply 'deregulated' the industry and got rid of such things as affirmative action, the invisible hand will carry us back to the state of innocence of when I was ten years old.

'SJWs': games were fun when I was ten, but now I'm aware of insane neonazis on the Internet. The games industry really needs to be made more multicultural, like Starbucks. If major corporations simply tell gamers that racism is bad, these rednecks will have to stop openly fantasizing about rape holocaust.

Reality: games have never been 'fun', and cannot be. The capitalist system that produces them is deleterious to human existence and cannot be reformed or purified. You will never be ten years old again, and no-one can be singled out for blame.

• Locked thread