Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Silus posted:

I often have mid to early housing made out of Ebonstone bricks as I get tons of the stuff from blowing up corruption with bombs. Crimson is less handy that way.
Current housing is mixed marble and sunplate blocks, with some granite underneath.

I think you can make Crimstone bricks now, but I'm not certain. I'd have to double-check on that.

As an aside, apparently the sandstone blocks in the underground desert can't be used to make sandstone bricks. That's... kind of weird. Now that they added sandstone, you'd think that you could use them to make bricks in place of sand.

Hopefully future updates flesh out the underground desert more. It seems like the one thing of interest there is the fossils.

UPDATE: I guess there aren't any crimstone bricks. I could have sworn I saw them in the changelog... :(

Wyvernil fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Wyvernil posted:

I think you can make Crimstone bricks now, but I'm not certain. I'd have to double-check on that.

As an aside, apparently the sandstone blocks in the underground desert can't be used to make sandstone bricks. That's... kind of weird. Now that they added sandstone, you'd think that you could use them to make bricks in place of sand.

Hopefully future updates flesh out the underground desert more. It seems like the one thing of interest there is the fossils.

UPDATE: I guess there aren't any crimstone bricks. I could have sworn I saw them in the changelog... :(

can't you make them into Flesh blocks/bricks?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You know what? Having all your NPCs actually joining you in fighting off an invasion is SO loving METAL. :black101:

Abandoned Toaster posted:

Re: The Lava Charm chat from a couple pages ago I myself have never found one either.

So my friend needed a Magic Mirror for himself and we started exploring in our Expert World where we're up to WoF. First Golden Chest we come across I tell him "You can open it". He goes over and says "Hmm. Intrepid Lava Charm, what's this?"

:suicide:

But he's a nice guy and he said I could have it, so I crafted the Night's Edge for him.

He can go straight to goddamn hell. I've probably sold off 30 or 40 Magic Mirrors :mad:

You guys think I'm exaggerating, but I'm not. Per the wiki the lava charm's supposed to be like 1/5 as common as other "rare" items but I've got dozens of magic mirrors and hermes boots and bands of regeneration. Dozens of EACH of those things. No lava charm. It's not THAT loving rare :negative:

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 5, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Wyvernil posted:

Yeah I'm really confused by the underground desert because there's a ton of work put into it, a gaggle of very unique new enemies come into play in hardmode but they only drop money and banners?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Supremezero posted:

Can you post a picture? Sounds interesting.

Due to it being started on a dungeon that was already scraping the sky on a small world, it was difficult to get a picture where it wasn't completely invisible, but I managed through the use of a solar background.

Seen: about a thousand cart tracks (so, around 20 iron's worth), about 4 booster tracks which are nearly pointless, my ghetto pit stop home for dungeon diving before I put down a teleporter instead, and the bridge I used to fight the Moon lord before his tongue got a debuff added to it.

It worked reasonably well for keeping me alive,but it was hard to damage him back because he wasn't even on screen for most of it.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Wyvernil posted:

You're thinking of the new crimtane bricks.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ugh, the Angler quest part of making the PDA is hell. I've still got two of the three drops to go and he just won't give them out! It wouldn't be so bad if you could have more than one quest a day...

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Acne Rain posted:

Yeah I'm really confused by the underground desert because there's a ton of work put into it, a gaggle of very unique new enemies come into play in hardmode but they only drop money and banners?
Not even antlion mandibles?

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Expert skeletron is the devil in video game form.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Zereth posted:

Those are dropped by the enemies there, but there's little point to the underground desert pre and post hardmode. It's really weird.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dr. Fetus posted:

Those are dropped by the enemies there, but there's little point to the underground desert pre and post hardmode. It's really weird.
I haven't explored it much, does it not even have like, chests you can get Sandstorm in a Bottle and such in?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Ass_Burgerer posted:

If you're having trouble, go into a hardmode world and get some Chlorophyte Bullets and a Megashark. Also wings.

Run around like crazy until Skeletron is a Skeleton.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty sure the underground desert is mostly just normal mode content since it's much smaller than the underground snow and jungle, which both sort of have a premium on space for their halves of the map.

It's definitely the best place to find an extractinator.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

If I get a pillar's shield down, will it still be down if I quit and reload? I'm getting really desperately sick of sinking 10 minutes into mindlessly killing mobs every time I want to try moon lord.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

Ugh, the Angler quest part of making the PDA is hell. I've still got two of the three drops to go and he just won't give them out! It wouldn't be so bad if you could have more than one quest a day...

It's a huge drag but if you get lucky with your crates you can get an enchanted sundial, which lets you skip forward a day instantly!*
*with a seven day recharge time

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Zereth posted:

I haven't explored it much, does it not even have like, chests you can get Sandstorm in a Bottle and such in?

Chests in the underground desert have the same loot as chests in the regular underground. Pyramid gear is still only found in pyramids (so at most one chest per world, generally).

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Zereth posted:

Other than easy Extractinators in abandoned houses, no. Chests have the standard underground stuff.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Do pirate invasions if you haven't, partly so you can see the new miniboss there but mostly because they drop another rare accessory that you can craft together with the lucky coin and credit card and magically transform into that one racist jew meme picture.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Zereth posted:

Pre-hardmode the enemies are all antlion varients and all drop mandibles.

In hardmode you get all kinds of crazy new enemies. Basilisks, lamias, GIANT sandworms, spirits that shoot exploding spells. It looks like no other environment and it feels like braving it should have a big reward. But again, if you went there before hardmode you already have all the things you could possibly get out of it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So if I'm reading this right, the practical purpose if the money tough is that it lets you just click it and use the floating summon, instead of taking the time to place down a piggy bank and valid surface for it, and then pick it up when you are done?

That's... okay I guess? A pleasant time saver for the millionth time you have to stop and put down some platforms or a table to put down then pick up the piggy bank from. Hardly seems fair to give that such an infinitesimal drop chance.

If it gives you access to both the piggy bank and the safe though, that would be bring it to "loving amazing" and I'd be less surprised by the 0.5% Normal, 1% Expert drops (Does it show I've never activated hard mode before if those drop chances seem low to me :downs:)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Tenebrais posted:

I have a cell phone.

Really it's not something you NEED, it's just nice if it happens. 90% of the info is useless clutter. A few pieces are extremely helpful such as the rare treasure sensor and the rare enemy sensor (helps mimic hunts and bound npc searchs a lot. AND the hunt for the nymph for her part) but I don't need my movement speed or to see my fishing level at all times. Or how many enemies are on screen.

A tip: The radar shows up in chests and therefore is a crate drop. So if you're out fishing, chug a crate potion after getting the quest fish and then open the boxes later, it's easier than searching the world over for a chest. This was something I was doing anyway because the crates also have hardmode ores when in hardmore, including ones you didn't get this world.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Is it possible to fish up Water Walking Boots from a chest? I don't know squat about fishing, I just want to make Lava Waders.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

pon alien posted:

Dig up the subterranean desert for fossil armor.

The fossils aren't materials. Does the armour drop from digging it out or something?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

SirSamVimes posted:

The fossils aren't materials. Does the armour drop from digging it out or something?

You put the fossils in the extractinator and they have a chance to become Sturdy Fossils, which are the materials for the armor.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Anyone else getting some FPS drops/slow mo gameplay after telporting back to spawn? Gets a little annoying to restart the game everytime it happens to me

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Work on my new base is coming along quite well, though i've built more towers than I know what to do with. Also I need to make my residents's rooms more thematic.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
drat, the Daedalus Stormbow is crazy, especially with holy arrows. I don't think it took me even 20 seconds for the destroyer to go down.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Does the wiki lie about harpy/wyvern spawn height? My highest point in my base is 700' above surface and I'm getting spawns occasionally. Not a lot, but occasionally.

Maybe it has something to do with a floating island being nearby. At the same height further away from it, I get no spawns.

Xenaero fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 5, 2015

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

You know what? Having all your NPCs actually joining you in fighting off an invasion is SO loving METAL. :black101:

He can go straight to goddamn hell. I've probably sold off 30 or 40 Magic Mirrors :mad:

You guys think I'm exaggerating, but I'm not. Per the wiki the lava charm's supposed to be like 1/5 as common as other "rare" items but I've got dozens of magic mirrors and hermes boots and bands of regeneration. Dozens of EACH of those things. No lava charm. It's not THAT loving rare :negative:

Seriously, you need a lava charm? PM me sometime with your steam id and i'll give you one. Or are you one of those dudes that has to get it yourself with no help?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I assume if I've hit silt I dug too deep at the start of the game? I ran into a pack of antlion chargers, which I'd never seen before. They completely obliterated me cause there was no way my lovely copper sword was gonna do jack to them.

I'm not sure what gear to be aiming for anymore. Right now I'm just trying to scrounge up enough tungsten for a set while looking for gold to complete a pickaxe.

EDIT: Is tin ore even worth digging up? I keep mistaking it for iron and its annoying me.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 5, 2015

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

So I assume if I've hit silt I dug too deep at the start of the game? I ran into a pack of antlion chargers, which I'd never seen before. They completely obliterated me cause there was no way my lovely copper sword was gonna do jack to them.

I'm not sure what gear to be aiming for anymore. Right now I'm just trying to scrounge up enough tungsten for a set while looking for gold to complete a pickaxe.

EDIT: Is tin ore even worth digging up? I keep mistaking it for iron and its annoying me.

Naw, silt is just a whatever block. You can run it through an extractor to get gems and poo poo. If you ran into antlion chargers, you've gotten into the big antlion pit under the middle of the desert. Tin ore is maybe worth digging up. It makes some cool looking riveted metal plating if you like that sort of thing. Up to you. As to what gear to aim for, what gear do you have and what role are you wanting to play? (Fighter, Ranger, Mage, Summoner)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Sjonnar posted:

Seriously, you need a lava charm? PM me sometime with your steam id and i'll give you one. Or are you one of those dudes that has to get it yourself with no help?

I mean I could just use an inventory editor anytime I want, but at this point I've become unhealthily curious just how long it'll take.

But then I'm the guy who has insisted on getting the Sword of Kings on every single one of my hundreds of EarthBound playthroughs, so.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

I mean I could just use an inventory editor anytime I want, but at this point I've become unhealthily curious just how long it'll take.

But then I'm the guy who has insisted on getting the Sword of Kings on every single one of my hundreds of EarthBound playthroughs, so.

Fair enough. Figured you might have been an "all on my own" kinda guy. Alternatively, that you'd take a "legit" one, but not hack one. Here's hoping your next chest has one.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Internet Kraken posted:

There is no such thing as digging "too deep" :black101:

the antlions are from being the underground desert biome not because of depth, dig somewhere else.

If you're not sure if somethings worth it or not just make it and try it out (but really iron/lead and gold/platinum are what you want, former's used in necessary items, latter is the high tier for tools before boss drop ores, and they both are always useful for ironskin and spelunker potions which you'll probably use for most of the game)

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
What's the best thing to do with old weapons and gear? I don't remember if you can disassemble them and it seems a waste to toss it all.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Million Ghosts posted:

What's the best thing to do with old weapons and gear? I don't remember if you can disassemble them and it seems a waste to toss it all.

You can sell them off to NPCs such as the merchant for some cash. You can also make mannequins and weapon displays for your old stuff for decoration.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Why does Fireblossom seem to harvest it self?

My garden is becoming a headache.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

...holy poo poo how did I never notice there is an auto-buff key :negative:

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Wait until you meet electronical Mr. Skeltal on hard mode. You will be a sad panda.

I'm currently working on the solar pillar. gently caress that thing and its poo poo head minions who can go through blocks. Also screw the fire worm thing that 3 shots you if you jump around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Excelzior posted:

...holy poo poo how did I never notice there is an auto-buff key :negative:

A what? :staredog: Holy poo poo