Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
Is it feasible to do coding on an iPad with keyboard via Splashtop? I'm going back to school for CS in the fall, and all I have is a desktop. I'd prefer not to buy a laptop, and I loved my old iPad, so I had the idea that I could just use the iPad to remote in to my desktop for class. Has anyone done this? Is it a terrible idea?

EDIT: I did some research, and it seems like a colossal pain in the rear end, so I probably won't end up doing it. Feel free to share experiences anyways.

Jerry Seinfeld fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

bvoid posted:

EDIT: I did some research, and it seems like a colossal pain in the rear end, so I probably won't end up doing it. Feel free to share experiences anyways.

Also a colossal risk. What happens if your desktop crashes or your internet connection is junky or nonexistent?

Go buy a cheap laptop. I can't imagine you'd need anything too powerful in a school setting.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
I don't know how it is where you live but over here college WiFi networks are almost universally terribly slow.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

I Am Crake posted:

I don't know how it is where you live but over here college WiFi networks are almost universally terribly slow.

That's weird, both of mine were sweet fiber op 35mbps down (obviously in 2006 it was slower, but still way better than what I had at home) with awesome signal strength everywhere.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Is there a way to stop people from setting up passcodes on iPads? I've looked at the MDM options (OSX Server profile manager) and in the Settings->Restrictions menu on iOS itself and can't find anything to stop them. Until I solve this, every time a kid adds a password to the iPad we have to wipe the loving thing.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Roargasm posted:

Is there a way to stop people from setting up passcodes on iPads? I've looked at the MDM options (OSX Server profile manager) and in the Settings->Restrictions menu on iOS itself and can't find anything to stop them. Until I solve this, every time a kid adds a password to the iPad we have to wipe the loving thing.

If you add a password via restrictions I think it requires the restrictions passcode to change the normal passcode.

Can't remember 100% for sure though.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

e.pilot posted:

If you add a password via restrictions I think it requires the restrictions passcode to change the normal passcode.

Can't remember 100% for sure though.
Just tested on mine, passcode seems to be completely separate from restrictions :doh:. And there doesn't seem to be a way to put restrictions on the Settings app itself, which would do the trick if possible.

I found this weird trick w/Exchange but it's from a few years back so no clue if it still works, otherwise the closest I've found is just requiring making an annoying passcode to deter people from doing it in the first place.

...not that the restrictions I see in the configurator app are that bad, but could be annoying enough to prevent kids from doing it quickly, at least if they're the younger type. Require alphanumeric, >16 characters, >4 complex characters, and lock immediately. And if they store data on the iPads, max failed attempts at 2. So they'd have to enter whatever annoying complex password twice just to enable it, and if they can't remember it it'll lock them out and wipe their poo poo.

edit - fun discovery while messing around with the app restrictions, the disallowed apps disappear, but when you enable them again they're all just spewed out instead of back into the folders they were in :suicide:

japtor fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 18, 2015

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Roargasm posted:

Guided access mode.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Guided access mode.

Yup, this is what I use for my students. It sucks when they want to switch apps but I haven't really run into that problem much.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

japtor posted:

Just tested on mine, passcode seems to be completely separate from restrictions :doh:. And there doesn't seem to be a way to put restrictions on the Settings app itself, which would do the trick if possible.

I found this weird trick w/Exchange but it's from a few years back so no clue if it still works, otherwise the closest I've found is just requiring making an annoying passcode to deter people from doing it in the first place.

...not that the restrictions I see in the configurator app are that bad, but could be annoying enough to prevent kids from doing it quickly, at least if they're the younger type. Require alphanumeric, >16 characters, >4 complex characters, and lock immediately. And if they store data on the iPads, max failed attempts at 2. So they'd have to enter whatever annoying complex password twice just to enable it, and if they can't remember it it'll lock them out and wipe their poo poo.

edit - fun discovery while messing around with the app restrictions, the disallowed apps disappear, but when you enable them again they're all just spewed out instead of back into the folders they were in :suicide:

Well poo poo, I thought for sure that worked.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I have an iPad Mini a Retina with the latest OS. Lately, it's been crashing to the Apple logo frequently, about once every 15-30 minutes. It happens inside apps, at the home screen, when switching apps, seemingly randomly. Do I need to just do a full reset and restore?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

dantheman650 posted:

I have an iPad Mini a Retina with the latest OS. Lately, it's been crashing to the Apple logo frequently, about once every 15-30 minutes. It happens inside apps, at the home screen, when switching apps, seemingly randomly. Do I need to just do a full reset and restore?

That's the 1st thing Apple would have you do.

See if you can determine what's allowed to run in the background. There may be a poorly performing app messing things up as well.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

dantheman650 posted:

Full restore from backup, if that doesn't work it's possible the backup brought the problem back and it'll need another restore and set up as new instead.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

I asked this in the stickied tablet thread, but can any of you guys give me an opinion on the ipad air 1/2? I'm looking to get an ipad for casual use (games/internet browsing/etc) and I'm wondering if the full-size ipad is cumbersome or too big for lounging that doesn't require slouching to see the whole screen comfortably.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
iPad Air 2 is great. It's stupid thin, really fast and will get split screen multitasking in iOS 9. I love mine and a few years back I returned an old model iPad for being too bulky.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I'd go for the iPad Air 2 at this point, not that the first one is bad or anything, it's just that I really really want the multitasking. The iPad Air 1 gets the picture in picture video overlay and slide over, which is like a quick app overlay, and iirc the iPad mini 2/3 is the same hardware so you can pick either size if that's good enough. But I'd still go for the Air 2 for future proofing if nothing else, if you plan to keep it as long as possible at least.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I'm trying to restore my iPad from iTunes. IT says I have purchased items that haven't been transferred to iTunes and I'll have to buy them again. I just did a full backup to the computer and also have automatic backups to the cloud every day. How can I find out what hasn't been transferred and why it's not backing up?

Also, how do I restore from a cloud backup? iTunes only gives an option to restore a backup from the computer.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

dantheman650 posted:

I'm trying to restore my iPad from iTunes. IT says I have purchased items that haven't been transferred to iTunes and I'll have to buy them again. I just did a full backup to the computer and also have automatic backups to the cloud every day. How can I find out what hasn't been transferred and why it's not backing up?

Also, how do I restore from a cloud backup? iTunes only gives an option to restore a backup from the computer.

iCloud restore is done on the device itself during setup, so it's an all or nothing restore. Verify you have a valid backup 1st, and the reset the device to factory. When you go through the setup screens it will prompt you to restore a backup after you enter your iCloud credentials.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

flosofl posted:

iCloud restore is done on the device itself during setup, so it's an all or nothing restore. Verify you have a valid backup 1st, and the reset the device to factory. When you go through the setup screens it will prompt you to restore a backup after you enter your iCloud credentials.

Thanks. I went with a restore as new, since whatever was causing it to crash all the time is probably present in this morning's backup as well.

Is there any way to delete things from the Purchased list of apps in the iTunes store? There are a million free apps I checked out for a second and deleted just cluttering up the list.

Edit: Nevermind, found the swipe to hide. Awesome.

Edit: Nevermind again, if you hide something and exit the app store, it's right back there when you return. Still looking for a way to get rid of useless junk.

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jun 29, 2015

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Bloody Pancreas posted:

I asked this in the stickied tablet thread, but can any of you guys give me an opinion on the ipad air 1/2? I'm looking to get an ipad for casual use (games/internet browsing/etc) and I'm wondering if the full-size ipad is cumbersome or too big for lounging that doesn't require slouching to see the whole screen comfortably.

Air 2 for sure, or honestly at this point of you can wait for the next release cycle in September/October, do that.

AOTKPTW
Nov 27, 2011

#nalPlE
I'm awaiting delivery of an iPad Mini 2 currently and was wondering what the recommended comic book/graphic novel app was?

I have no idea in terms of catalogues and stuff but if possible I'd like something that enables me to read stories with a dystopian theme, however vague that may be these days.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
I've got an iPad mini 1 with 64 gb and wifi only and use it to read books.
Recently I tried to use to it to carry around PDF versions of my textbooks but it causes it to lag a lot, sometimes the iBooks app crashes if I scroll through the index too fast.

I think it's a memory problem but I'm not sure. I don't know of any solutions to optimising this. I looked at buying an iPad mini 2 which has a bit more memory from apple refurbished store, but they don't have any wifi only models and I don't want to overpay - and the brand new ones don't come in the 64 gb edition anymore. I could get around 70 pounds off the purchase I think and I'm not sure if refurbished stuff has a student discount applied on it.
what should I do goons

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
Just to clarify previous post by lack of memory I meant lack of RAM.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Lichy posted:

Have you tried PDF readers other than iBooks? I would give something like Goodreader a try before you go and drop hundreds on a new iPad.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Lichy posted:

The extra 500MB of RAM does make a difference but what you're describing with lag and crashes doesn't sound right. I'd do what the poster above me suggested and try another reader.

I never had problems with PnP RPG books (textbook sized for nerds :haw:) on my OG mini in Adobe Acrobat reader. Adobe has definitely changed the app since then, it might be worse now on older iPads?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

AOTKPTW posted:

I'm awaiting delivery of an iPad Mini 2 currently and was wondering what the recommended comic book/graphic novel app was?

I have no idea in terms of catalogues and stuff but if possible I'd like something that enables me to read stories with a dystopian theme, however vague that may be these days.

Comixology is pretty much the only digital service worth mentioning at this point. They carry every major publisher except Dark Horse (though they're coming shortly). There's certainly going to be comics that fit the theme you want on there, though you should ask in BSS rather than here.

AOTKPTW
Nov 27, 2011

#nalPlE

Endless Mike posted:

Comixology is pretty much the only digital service worth mentioning at this point. They carry every major publisher except Dark Horse (though they're coming shortly). There's certainly going to be comics that fit the theme you want on there, though you should ask in BSS rather than here.

Thanks, I'll take a look at Comixoligy. I'll take my comic related questions over to BSS.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The other service worth mentioning is Marvel Unlimited, which is ~$10 a month and lets you read as much Marvel as you want 6 months behind print.

It doesn't have much of their old stuff, it only goes back to the early 2000s, but that's a lot of comics.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

The other service worth mentioning is Marvel Unlimited, which is ~$10 a month and lets you read as much Marvel as you want 6 months behind print.

It doesn't have much of their old stuff, it only goes back to the early 2000s, but that's a lot of comics.
For complete runs, sure, it's limited to then, but there's still a significant portion of the major series in the back catalog, though it misses an issue here or there which is really annoying.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

AOTKPTW posted:

I've tried a few and found Comic Zeal to be the best.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!
I wanted to ask you guys whether web browsing on Safari is an acceptable experience on newer iPads. I have an iPad Mini 1, and it used to be great, but it is so slow that most pages have to reload several times after crashing. Scrolling is painfully slow, and ads are hard to close because everything is so unresponsive. Most times, I end up going to my desktop PC to finish reading a webpage I could not load on the Ipad. I know the Mini 1 does not have great specs, but on the other hand, I wonder if webpages just suck on tablets these days. If I got an Air 2, should I expect all my problems to go away?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I have an iPad mini 2, things are generally fine outside of pages that I'd probably consider bad in general, or occasionally pages with shitload of gifs and/or YouTube embeds (and I can't think of any of those outside of some Neogaf threads). The Air 2 is faster and (probably more importantly) double the RAM (or 4x yours) so I imagine it'd be generally fine with even more than what I've seen. If you know any particular ones off hand that crash yours I can test them out. Or if you have an Apple Store or Best Buy (or other retailer with demo units) you can just try your usual browsing there.

One huge thing coming up though is content blocking extensions in iOS 9, so if ad heavy pages are the issue that should help a lot. Course by the time iOS 9 is out there'll presumably be new iPads announced, so if you're willing to wait for one you might as well wait for the other.

Alternatively right now there's Weblock, which blocks by a little trick with the proxy settings. Can't block embedded scripts, but it can block external ones and whole domains. A ymmv thing but it might work enough for you.

japtor fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 3, 2015

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
What's the best app for downloading youtube videos these days?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Xabi posted:

What's the best app for downloading youtube videos these days?
Not that I've done it in a while, and it's kinda clumsy, but I use the bookmarklet from GoodReader (well switched it to Readdle Documents cause I prefer that app). Don't have it handy right now but it's basically a little script that finds the HTML5 video element and pulls the video's source URL, then passes it to the app to download. The clunky part is that with the way it works you have to start playing the video first, and if you want higher quality you gotta switch to that too.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Is there any way to block those super lovely ads that launch the App Store from Safari?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Loucks posted:

Is there any way to block those super lovely ads that launch the App Store from Safari?

iOS 9 I believe.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Jose Oquendo posted:

iOS 9 I believe.

Man, I hope so. Thanks.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

iOS 9 I believe.

I want to believe, but unwanted App Store redirects were supposed to go away in iOS8. At this point, it's an arms race. The scummy advertisers will always find a way around it.

Supgaiz
Jun 27, 2011

Snuffman posted:

I want to believe, but unwanted App Store redirects were supposed to go away in iOS8. At this point, it's an arms race. The scummy advertisers will always find a way around it.

iOS 9 will allow for ad blockers in Safari. They'll have the advantage of being able to update against new ad exploits much more frequently than Apple can update Safari itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Supgaiz posted:

iOS 9 will allow for ad blockers in Safari. They'll have the advantage of being able to update against new ad exploits much more frequently than Apple can update Safari itself.

Probably won't allow us to block iAd's though! :haw:

I can tolerate banner ads but app-store redirects are the worst thing about browsing with Safari.