Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

The Kins posted:

There's an Overclocked Remix that Mick Gordon did an entire goddamn decade ago that does this, so at the least he's capable of doing it. :)

Speaking of Doom and metal, the composer on Rise of the Triad 2013 did a full cover of Doom Episode 1's choons with Brutal Doom in mind. It's pretty good and respects the slower, atmospheric moments in the original soundtrack while still keeping the :rock: going.

Oh man it's N-JekteD? There's actually a chance of the soundtrack working! I remember that remix, that's a very good sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Kins posted:

The composer on TNO and TOB is also doing Doom 4. He posted a sample on Instagram a while back of some industrial synths giving way to crunching guitars, but he deleted it. :(

Here's a recent interview he did about working on Wolfenstein.

I had to do a 15 second musical demo for a job application (got the job, too! :toot:) and without remembering any of the music from the Doom 4 trailer, I pretended I was just doing music for that. They loved it, so thank you, Doom 4.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013
Just finished both ECWolf tech demos and they were great indeed.
That last map in EP1 and the boss were the best part for sure. The enemy variety was also really refreshing after having the same types over and over in vanilla games.
ECWolf is godsend to modding Wolf3D.
There better be sequel! :v:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Glad you liked them! Did you get to the secret level Intruder Alert? It's absolutely merciless on Death Incarnate.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013
I'll be honest that I suck at finding secrets so sadly not :(

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Oh yeah. I probably should have mentioned this earlier, but one of the big Doom speedrunner mans on Twitch, Dime, is doing a 500-map marathon. He's currently 19 hours and 286 maps in, so if you want Imp Murder in your other monitor while you work...

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Dime is going to be at Summer Games Done Quick; this time he'll be running Scythe, so that'll be a nice change of pace.

He's scheduled to run at 11:35 AM on July 30. (Central time)

Not much else is being run for Early FPSes. Unreal, Spear of Destiny, and Super Noah's Ark 3D are all around the same time as Scythe (it's Unreal, Scythe, Spear of Destiny, and then Noah 3D), and then Doom 64 is the next morning.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

The Kins posted:

Oh yeah. I probably should have mentioned this earlier, but one of the big Doom speedrunner mans on Twitch, Dime, is doing a 500-map marathon. He's currently 19 hours and 286 maps in, so if you want Imp Murder in your other monitor while you work...

Are the Recommended Megawads the ones he's actually running through? If not, is there a list of maps that he''s actually playing? I'd like 500 maps...

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

There's an indie bundle with MadSpace (and Vangers, another ovelooked weird Russian game) for $2, and I've been playing it for the past hour or so, and I'm really impressed. The visuals are little bland and there's too much grey color, but the game is surprisingly fun, it plays like mix of Marathon (especially the floaty physics feel like it) and Descent (the exploration of abstract maps and shooting mostly flying enemies). The introductory level is actually a Cyberia/Rebel Assault sort of, with you "flying" through space and enemy installation in bad CGI and shooting enemies.
MadSpace actually reminds me another game, minus the "5D" stuff, Defiance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVF2r9sDfVI

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Your link goes to the wrong bundle, this is the one with MadSpace and Vangers: https://groupees.com/remute7

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

khwarezm posted:

On the other hand, without trying to be all :smug: "I'm good at Videogames" :smug: I didn't find it as punishing as some of the stuff I played in Doom, especially the Plutonia experiment.

Custom maps for Quake do tend to set the bar a bit higher - don't forget if you're playing with mouselook then you've got an advantage over most people who played it out of the box in 1996. If you've looking for some Quake goodness but with more of an OTT feeling I'd probably recommend checking out the Warpspasm mod. It uses a lot of the Quoth monsters which on the whole expand the upper tier of Quake monsters. Also I always drop a link to the Quoth map packs, as they're meant to be a low barrier-of-entry for custom content:

https://tomeofpreach.wordpress.com/quoth/map-packs/

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Morter posted:

Are the Recommended Megawads the ones he's actually running through? If not, is there a list of maps that he''s actually playing? I'd like 500 maps...
He has a spreadsheet up of the maps he's played and is playing through, and a few he has on the to-do list.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
So a guy made a patch/hack for DarkXL to fix some of the more glaring issues right now. I mean, it'd be great if the XLEngine guy could work on everything again, but this sounds pretty good in the meantime.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

catlord posted:

So a guy made a patch/hack for DarkXL to fix some of the more glaring issues right now. I mean, it'd be great if the XLEngine guy could work on everything again, but this sounds pretty good in the meantime.

Way cool. Thanks for the link!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

catlord posted:

Is DF fully playable on it now, then? I kind of gave up on the game because the original controls were a major pain to deal with.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Got around to playing the ikspq series of SP maps for Quake 1.

ikspq1: A short, but fun and cramped little castle map. My main issue is that there aren't any safe areas to lure enemies to so you can fight them with some room to dodge, unlike the rest of the series. The wrost part of the map is how a required switch is hidden in a place you'd never bother to look without someone pointing it out to you, though it's easy to remember after you actually find it.

ikspq2: Now we're getting somewhere. The blue Arabian textures and architecture really give this map some personality. The gameplay feels like a transition point between ikspq1 and the rest of the series; there are some safe spaces to lure enemies to, but there aren't enough of them. It has two really cool battles; one near the start, and one near the end. In-fighting fans will love the one near the end, as there's lots of enemy types in a medium-sized room, giving you pleanty of chances to start brawls that'll wipe out most of the room without you firing once.

ikspq3: Hard, but fun and has very good level flow. Ammo is at a bit of a premium in Hard difficulty, so be ready to fight with anything because ammo for your favorites will dry up quickly. I love how interconnected the map is. The Fiend rush very close to the end that forced you to retreat over a lava pit is a cool and challenging fight. I'd like this one the most if iksp4 didn't do what it did better.

ikspq4: The best out of the ikspq series. In Hard difficulty, this map will teach you the value of making every shot count, literally, to the point where I finished off a Shambler with my last round of ammo. Lots of heavy hitters, like Fiends, are in this map, so you'll be burning through ammo quickly. There are so many tough enemies in this map I ended the map with no ammo and had to skip the last enemy in the map because of it. The map does a great job at showing that what looks like a fairly limite texture set doesn't mean your map will look samey thanks to great architecture that helps rooms feel unique and an excellent map flow that makes sure you never feel lost or that you've done something before. Several of the fights in the map are really cool and tense, like the first one where it's you vs Scrags in a medium-sized room while four Death Knights rain down fire on you from above, which restricts how much room you have to maneuver.

ikspq5: The map's style is cool; it feels a lot like a Quake 2 map, but with Quake 1ified textures and much better architecture. Combat is difficult, so expect to have your health shredded by Grunts. The Nailgun is a godsend in this map. The design and level flow is a bit different from the previous maps due to it being a Base map, but it's still very good. A few Shamblers appear, so be ready to nail 'em.

Overall, the ikspq series is really good. It starts out fine, but when you reach ikspq3, the series really starts hitting it's stride, cumulating in the excellent iksp4. The ikblue textures used in the map are really cool and the Arabian-stlye architecture fits it perfectly. Despite most of the maps using the same texture set, it never feels samey. One interesting thing aboutp laying the series is that you can see several basic ideas, such as limited ammo and combat in tight corridors, get expanded and refined the further you get into the map set. Even the order you get weapons in are generally the same throughout the maps. The maps can be played from a Shotgun start, but I'd recommend not doing this because the little ammo you have from a previous map means the difference between surviving and flailing around with the Axe like a moron, at least on Hard difficulty.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Iikka made Doom levels too!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
notably, he made a bunch of maps for requiem

quote:

3 Poison Processing
8 The Reactor
13 Town of the Dead
16 Escape from Chaos
22 Arachnophobia
27 Cursed Kingdom
31 Doorway to Quake

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
He also made Gibbler on the Roof, the best default map for FFA in Daikatana.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

david_a posted:

Iikka made Doom levels too!

try his povdoom patch it's really good

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Newbiesplayground will be running a co-op contest for Unreal 1. As one person, your goal is to run through three maps; Ceremonial Chambers, Sunspire, and RTNP's Velora's Temple, while getting the highest score. Things like dying and going over the par time will decrease your score. There's also an event where a team of four players has to go through the Skaarj Tower map.

For more info, go to: http://www.newbiesplayground.net/?page_id=978

Also, the good but unfinished Unreal 1 map pack called Hard Crash is finally getting finished 10 years after it was released. Go to http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1432329115 if you want the latest builds to play and help test the revised maps.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

So I just downloaded DoomRPG and DoomRLA, and I'm just stuck at the outpost. Am I missing something?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It should just go to the default first map, but you can also try walking into the teleporter at the start of the outpost and see if it lists a map for you.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Elliotw2 posted:

It should just go to the default first map, but you can also try walking into the teleporter at the start of the outpost and see if it lists a map for you.

It takes me to MAP1 from Doom 2, but if I start a new game and go to the outpost first, when I step on the teleporter, it says I need to at least be Rank 1.

I feel like I'm missing a set of instructions. :sigh:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I'd suggest clearing at least one map before you jump to the outpost, but if you use your outpost spell again, you should go back to the start of wherever you came from.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Played two Quake 1 mapsets today; Rapture and Terra.

Rapture: The textures used in this map make it look fantastic. Each map is based on a classic element, but the theme isn't really beaten over your head, like you'd expect in other maps. Rapture has two intro and two outtro maps that don't have any combat in them, which are used to help set up the story. The first real map's "ruined castle in the middle of a swamp" theme is really cool and makes the map look very styled. It's one of my favorite Q1 maps, graphically. Map flow is good for the most part, but it does tend to have moments that make you say "Where do I go now?", but there are usually enemies leading you to the door that you opened. The only times I got lost were the first and fourth real maps. There's lots of rocket ammo in the maps, so you can feel free to unload on enemies with the Grenade and Rocket Launchers. The last real map is really cool and tense, as every corner of the map has Ogres raining grenades from above, so you have to take out the weak enemies on the ground while dodging the endless barrage of grenades above you, then take out the Ogres while avoiding the grenade spam. The only map that I feel was disappointing is the fourth map because the map is too flat and Doomish (in a bad way) for Quake 1, but it did have the the return of the friendly enemy gimmick from the first Quake 1 expansion pack. The gameplay is good, but the graphics and style are really what makes this map pack stand above most of the other Quake 1 maps.

Terra: Great and challenging mapset that's all about combat. The maps are difficult with things like multiple Fiends, Knights, and Ogres in a smallish courtyard (that I had to crowdsurf over at one point in order to survive!), Death Knight and Ogre hordes, and a very tricky encounter that has Vores and Scrags in it at the end. Visually, the maps look a bit like classic iD Quake 1 maps, which gives each of them their own personality that makes them stand out. The maps are built for Shotgun starts in mind, so if want the maps to be even more challenging, there's alway the option to start from scratch each map. There are a lot of surprises in each map, so always be ready to take down anything, from a single Ogre to large groups of enemies, at any moment if you want to survive without quickloading like crazy. There's plenty of ammo and health in the maps, so the only thing holding you back in this map are your skills and ability to adapt, not a lack of supplies. In particular, there's a lot of large nail boxes, which means you can really get a lot of milage out of the Super Nailgun compared to other custom maps and mapsets. This map is a must-play for anyone that wants very well thought-out enemy encounters and challenging Quake 1 combat.

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi

closeted republican posted:

Terra: Great and challenging mapset that's all about combat. The maps are difficult with things like multiple Fiends, Knights, and Ogres in a smallish courtyard (that I had to crowdsurf over at one point in order to survive!), Death Knight and Ogre hordes, and a very tricky encounter that has Vores and Scrags in it at the end. Visually, the maps look a bit like classic iD Quake 1 maps, which gives each of them their own personality that makes them stand out. The maps are built for Shotgun starts in mind, so if want the maps to be even more challenging, there's alway the option to start from scratch each map. There are a lot of surprises in each map, so always be ready to take down anything, from a single Ogre to large groups of enemies, at any moment if you want to survive without quickloading like crazy. There's plenty of ammo and health in the maps, so the only thing holding you back in this map are your skills and ability to adapt, not a lack of supplies. In particular, there's a lot of large nail boxes, which means you can really get a lot of milage out of the Super Nailgun compared to other custom maps and mapsets. This map is a must-play for anyone that wants very well thought-out enemy encounters and challenging Quake 1 combat.

Glad you enjoyed them, thanks!

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

closeted republican posted:

Played two Quake 1 mapsets today; Rapture and Terra.

I'm liking these trip reports. :-)

Terra is one of my favorites. I must have missed Rapture... you're reminding me of several oldies that I need to check out or replay.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There's now a GPL-friendly adaption of GZDoom aimed at indie developers.

Also, only kinda sorta related to this thread, but it's old-school, first person and partially attached to 3D Realms so... some guy managed to get a hold of the source code to Terminal Velocity, Fury3 and Hellbender and is toying with a modern source port for the first two of those games. And... a rebuild of the engine under Unity? I think?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Kins posted:

Also, only kinda sorta related to this thread, but it's old-school, first person and partially attached to 3D Realms so... some guy managed to get a hold of the source code to Terminal Velocity, Fury3 and Hellbender and is toying with a modern source port for the first two of those games. And... a rebuild of the engine under Unity? I think?

:swoon:

A source port for Terminal Velocity would be absolutely amazing!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Holy poo poo did yall make this because I mentioned how cool it would be if DoomRPG/DoomRLA was its own indie game? This loving owns

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

The Kins posted:

Oh hell yes. If nothing else I'd love to boost the view distance.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

I loved Hellbender, hoping that eventually gets a source port and/or GOG release.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Prophet of Nixon posted:

I loved Hellbender, hoping that eventually gets a source port and/or GOG release.

I may finally be able to re-experience the game demos from my Windows 95 disc, but I will not rest until I see a source port for Hoover.

ArcturusDeluxe
May 15, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

I may finally be able to re-experience the game demos from my Windows 95 disc, but I will not rest until I see a source port for Hoover.
I assume you mean Hover?

http://hover.ie/ They did a fancy Javascript version of it here.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

ArcturusDeluxe posted:

I assume you mean Hover?

that's kinda broken, on the third stage I apparently hit a wall in just the right way to launch me out of the level. it's a pretty decent recreation despite that (though I wish it had the same music)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ArcturusDeluxe posted:

I assume you mean Hover?

:allears:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

i like chex quest. i like rpg,

The Kins posted:

Pretty awesome news all-around, really. GZDoom would be a really good choice of engine for a new retro-styled engine, given all the niceties it's gained over the past several years and the general ease of whipping up new maps.

I mean, granted, it's not perfect - IIRC, there are no lightmaps a la Quake or even Strife: Veteran Edition (so you're mostly stuck with Doom's lighting model plus really basic dynamic lights), models are uniformly lit according to what sector their center is in, you can't do transparent sloped 3D floors (transparent 3D floors or sloped 3D floors, yes; a single 3D floor that is both, no), 3D floors don't block sound so shooting in a corridor below another that crosses over it wakes up enemies in the corridor above, etc - but nothing a clever developer can't work around.

Actually, for a non-sequitur, kinda wish somebody would one day port SRB2's inverted gravity to ZDoom; the idea of having to contend with enemies that are walking on the ceiling - or better yet, walking onto a gravity-reversing platform and then running around on the ceiling yourself - is something I'd love to see.

Oh, and a Terminal Velocity source port sounds nice. Didn't play too much of that game (doesn't help that DOSBox and my joystick like to not play nice every so often), but it seemed fun.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
No need for a source port, the original hover.exe runs fine on 64 bit Windows 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arcsig
May 29, 2015

That doesn't necessarily mean we don't need a source port, though. I mean even if Doom.exe still ran on modern windows, people would still play GZDoom.