Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Byolante posted:

The ECB and their band of mates in the test side

monkeu posted:

They look like pretty fun dudes to party with:

Definitely not annoying pricks, that's for sure.

The answer is yes, when there's two of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Lionel Richie posted:

does finn count as the second one if he was drowning in a puddle of his own vomit in the gutter outside?

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

5-0 england

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Byolante posted:

does finn count as the second one if he was drowning in a puddle of his own vomit in the gutter outside?

That doesn't even make sense but keep rolling with the punches I suppose, really good humour

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Lionel Richie posted:

Is there anything more putrid than an Australian who unironically, unconditionally supports the Australian cricket team? Smiling through bared teeth, being aggressively racist and wondering why no one sees things the way they do.

Hmmm interesting points but James Anderson is Englands most successful bowler and I would die of shame if a bowler of that ummm "calibre" was Australia's most successful bowler.

EDIT

Even if Anderson is the bowling equivalent of a flat track bully (he is) and that he averages over 35 away from home with a strike rate of 60 (he does) its not like his record is whitehot in England. Lets compare his average and strike rate in England with a bowler picked at random....Glenn McGrath.

James Anderson averages 26.77 in England with a strike rate of 53.70 which is pretty good but comparable to Mitchell Johnsons record in all countries so really Anderson is comparable with Mitch Johnson who is seen by some as an inconsistent garbage man. It really shows how poor the cricketing heritage is in England when Anderson is seen as anything more than ok kinda good.

Glenn McGrath in England averaged 19.34 with a strike rate of 39.87.

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 4, 2015

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Warner could have punched Broad but chose Root, he can't even be a dickhead correctly.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Lionel Richie posted:

There's two types of cricket fans these days. You're either an Australian supporter or you're a sore loser :laugh:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
If they went drinking in the Walkabout in Birmingham, both sides deserved everything that happened to them

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Hmmm interesting points but James Anderson is Englands most successful bowler and I would die of shame if a bowler of that ummm "calibre" was Australia's most successful bowler.

EDIT

Even if Anderson is the bowling equivalent of a flat track bully (he is) and that he averages over 35 away from home with a strike rate of 60 (he does) its not like his record is whitehot in England. Lets compare his average and strike rate in England with a bowler picked at random....Glenn McGrath.

James Anderson averages 26.77 in England with a strike rate of 53.70 which is pretty good but comparable to Mitchell Johnsons record in all countries so really Anderson is comparable with Mitch Johnson who is seen by some as an inconsistent garbage man. It really shows how poor the cricketing heritage is in England when Anderson is seen as anything more than ok kinda good.

Glenn McGrath in England averaged 19.34 with a strike rate of 39.87.

Give it up son, no one will ever think McGrath is better than Anderson.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Lionel Richie posted:

Is there anything more putrid than an Australian who unironically, unconditionally supports the Australian cricket team?

poo poo English posters

Sad to see Harris go, what a champion

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Lionel Richie posted:

Give it up son, no one will ever think McGrath is better than Anderson.

The point being why wouldn't Australians be "proud" of the Australian side. They have a tradition the envy of the cricketing world. The upside for you lot is funnier tantrums by casuals if Australia loses because they are expected to win all the time.

I posted on another forum that I thought England might win the series because as rubbish as Anderson is he is good in English conditions against the typical Australian batsman. Warner might struggle and that's going to expose Smith really early.

And the English posters were basically raging at me because England suck and are horrible. It takes a number of series wins to get the England fan to have high expectations. Even when Australia sucks there is a not insignificant amount of people who are like 5-0 Australia coming up.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Supporting your national sports team is the first little slide on the slippery slope to goose stepping through Holland and gassing the minorities.

They should always be viewed with a healthy blend of doubt, cynicism and revulsion.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

You can be proud of the Australian cricket team if you want, I'm just saying that the people who *are* overtly proud of the Australian cricket team tend to be absolute loving quilts.

Not you though babe

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Warner is a dumb oaf. It's just that's the nature of Australian cricket. It's a lot more working class here. I don't follow English football or anything but I'm sure there are a few Warner types running around there.

England would be better served with cricket more attractive to working class people but its going to produce the odd loudmouth oaf. The price we pay for good cricket. That said look at Anderson lol

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Harris bowled hard enough to crack his tibia and now he needs bone grafts. Poor bastard isn't going to be walking much for a while, never mind bowling.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

In hindsight we should have gave him a run in the world cup.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

England's inability to produce world class quicks is an interesting point of discussion in my opinion.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Ratios and Tendency posted:

England's inability to produce world class quicks is an interesting point of discussion in my opinion.

They condemned themselves to genetic and cricketing inferiority when they deported all their thugs, crooks and bullies.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Depends what you class as quick and world class really. England don't consistently produce 90mph+ tearaways who are actually any good, but who does really apart from Pakistan and Australia? And they won't trouble any all time lists but Gough, Hoggard, Harmison, Flintoff, Broad and Anderson were all capable enough at the highest level.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

South Africa produce a lot of good fast bowling talent. Steyn is in the same class as McGrath, Akram, Ambrose, etc when it comes to the greats of the modern era.

Hell NZ had Bond and Boult looks like he is going to be world class.

It's always been England's weakness. Michael Vaughan wrote an article a few months ago identifying that as the biggest problem in English cricket.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/international/england/11502473/Englands-problem-We-are-not-producing-fast-bowlers.html

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Maybe they should embrace fast, bouncy pitches instead of running from them screaming. Might encourage more than just wily old dibbly-dobblers to rise through the ranks.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Bob Willis was pretty good

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Bob Willis was pretty good

Yeah but guys like that are the exception. Can anyone remember a time when Australia couldn't field at least two bowlers capable of individually ripping a side apart on their day? The only time I can think of was that Ashes series when McGrath got injured and we had to rely on Lee, Kasprowicz and a horribly out of form Gillespie.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

The Adelaide test in 2010 had a bowling attack of Harris, Bollinger and siddle.

Depends on if you count Siddle as that type of bowler. He did get 6 wickets at the MCG later I'm the series though.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Lionel Richie posted:

Is there anything more putrid than an Australian who unironically, unconditionally supports the Australian cricket team? Smiling through bared teeth, being aggressively racist and wondering why no one sees things the way they do.

Yeah, people who automatically assume a player is in the wrong because he's Australian.

Telling someone to speak english when theyre gobbing off in a language you dont understand is in no possible way racist and its the sort of pidgeon holing bullshit thay shows your bias againat anything an australian player does.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oJe_FHsdhY

Whether the "speak english" thing was racist or not here's a reminder of the whole incident which I don't think you can watch and legitimately say anything other than Warner is a grade A fuckwit who you should be embarrassed to have representing your country.

edit: who is in the wrong here if it's not Warner?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Smorgasbord posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oJe_FHsdhY

Whether the "speak english" thing was racist or not here's a reminder of the whole incident which I don't think you can watch and legitimately say anything other than Warner is a grade A fuckwit who you should be embarrassed to have representing your country.

edit: who is in the wrong here if it's not Warner?

Who cares, its been going on for decades accross all forms of the game by all teams in the game. Anti australia crowd has latched on to it and refuse to let it go and accept that every team does it because australia continues to win.

Its just sour grapes now.

Crying because your team cant beat Australia that theyre big meanies.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Like flies around a pile of poo poo.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Oh look it's this conversation again.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

BlindSite posted:

Who cares, its been going on for decades accross all forms of the game by all teams in the game. Anti australia crowd has latched on to it and refuse to let it go and accept that every team does it because australia continues to win.

Its just sour grapes now.

Crying because your team cant beat Australia that theyre big meanies.

That's a weakass false equivalency that you can't possibly defend, If you think every team does it you clearly don't watch any series not involving Australia.

Imagine being the kind of person that's proud to have David Warner represent their country, goddamn.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Smorgasbord posted:

That's a weakass false equivalency that you can't possibly defend, If you think every team does it you clearly don't watch any series not involving Australia.

Imagine being the kind of person that's proud to have David Warner represent their country, goddamn.

Here's noble English player Stokes being reprimanded for sledging Marlon Samuels a couple of months ago. I thought this stuff only went on in series involving Australia?!

Of course Samuels went on to score a century in that innings. Turns out England sledges too, but they're just a lot worse than Australia at it. Just like cricket in general I guess :laugh:

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

If you think the same level and frequency of 'sledging' (actually just crude dickheads spewing obscenities in opponent's faces) occurs in non Australian games then you're beyond reasoning with.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Smorgasbord posted:

If you think the same level and frequency of 'sledging' (actually just crude dickheads spewing obscenities in opponent's faces) occurs in non Australian games then you're beyond reasoning with.

There's no doubt whatsoever that Australia is the best in the world at sledging, just like they're the best in the world at cricket. The fact of the matter is that pretty much all countries do it, but apparently it's only some abhorrent blight on the sport when Australia does it. Sour grapes indeed.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

monkeu posted:

There's no doubt whatsoever that Australia is the best in the world at sledging, just like they're the best in the world at cricket. The fact of the matter is that pretty much all countries do it, but apparently it's only some abhorrent blight on the sport when Australia does it. Sour grapes indeed.

No.

All countries sledge. Yes. Australia are the best at it/do it the most. Maybe.

The point here is : when a drunk racist fuckwit, (Warner) punches a babyfaced girlyman dickead, (Root), because "a lot of little things over the night, nothing specific", it is near impossible to defend him. And if you defend him coz, "everyone sledges, stop picking on us just coz we are Aussies", then you are an arseface.

Also in all the noise, nobody is saying how unacceptable it is, (in my opinion), for a player to punch an opposing player after a night out. I mean, this is not Rugby League for fucks sake.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
Australians: The best in the world (at being dickheads, racism, and shitposting)

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

The worst thing about a heap of Australian supporters at the moment (thankfully not all of us in here) is those that think the current Australian team are unbeatable, we have a really strong pace bowling line up and then Steven Smith and half a Michael Clarke in the batting stocks. We got totally smashed not long ago vs Pakistan and I think these Ashes will be pretty close. If Starc and Johnson are anywhere near their best then I think we will win, but Johnson has had issues in England previously and Starc has only played a handful of tests. You know there is going to be some classic lolstralia batting at some point and we are rolled for 200.

I mean we are a genuine chance of playing both Mitchell and Shaun Marsh at the same time.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

EMC posted:

The worst thing about a heap of Australian supporters at the moment (thankfully not all of us in here) is those that think the current Australian team are unbeatable, we have a really strong pace bowling line up and then Steven Smith and half a Michael Clarke in the batting stocks. We got totally smashed not long ago vs Pakistan and I think these Ashes will be pretty close. If Starc and Johnson are anywhere near their best then I think we will win, but Johnson has had issues in England previously and Starc has only played a handful of tests. You know there is going to be some classic lolstralia batting at some point and we are rolled for 200.

I mean we are a genuine chance of playing both Mitchell and Shaun Marsh at the same time.

Mitch Marsh has potential to be good though. Shaun though, is a true garbageman. Australia will still win teh Ashes. Bowling wins Test matches, and if good MiJo shows up then we should be able to roll England more times than we get rolled.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

We just lost our (imo) most reliably good bowler too. I think I'm going to change my prediction from 3-1 to 2-2. Also I think Warner is going to try and be a good boy this series and will play a lot worse because of it.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Australia are not that good, but on the other hand England are pretty bad. An eye-watering series for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Thought's on Gary Ballance's series aggregate? I say 54 (3 tests).