Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

gnarlyhotep posted:

Just so I can understand, what are the 2 sides in gamer gate arguing for/about? One is tard and the other retard?

The GG side says two, maybe three things:

There is a big problem with ethics in journalism because some journalists are friends with people who make games, and maybe sometimes on occasion give them good press. They focus pretty exclusively on the indie press and games. This 'started' with a big creepy post about Zoe Quinn who is alleged to have done a lot of nasty poo poo in a relationship to a guy, and incidentally also maybe gotten something out of it in terms of reviews but actually probably not, but anyway she slept with other dudes.

People who criticize games for anything other than 'objective' game play are bad and should stop doing that because it's bad. For example, noticing that games have almost no minority main characters is bad and if you don't like that don't buy the game and game studios are actually afraid of being called racist if they make a black character in a game and that's why they're all white, really.

Also Anita Sarkeesian is very bad.

Anti-GG says GG should shut the gently caress up.

some people who are 'anti-GG' also say that the traditional core group of 'gamers' are whiny, entitled, sheltered white kids who can't deal with the fact that their hobby has become mainstream, and that they don't need to be the audience anymore.

Others say that games have a lot of the worst parts of sexism,racism, and other bad stuff in our society and point it out a lot, sometimes in really tenuous ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Just as I thought. The correct move is not to play.

*keeps playing and enjoying video games as he has for the past 30 years*

But seriously, I think the problem is talking about it. Just everyone shut the gently caress up and play the games you like, it'll be like you're actually having fun!

gnarlyhotep fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 5, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

gnarlyhotep posted:

But seriously, I think the problem is talking about it. Just everyone shut the gently caress up and play the games you like, it'll be like you're actually having fun!

*games continue to be aggressively misogynist*

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

SedanChair posted:

coming from you this is like a reason to be happy

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

gnarlyhotep posted:

Fun is a buzzword though :confused:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

gnarlyhotep posted:

coming from you this is like a reason to be happy

Sure, embrace misogyny because somebody who talks about it annoys you. History will definitely let you off the hook. "That guy was really annoying," you'll say. "I had no choice but to literally become a more virulent misogynist in response."

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

gnarlyhotep posted:

Some people have fun talking about things.

Other people think that rampant sexism and racism in media is a problem.

Those people aren't going to listen to you.

I'm going to enjoy talking about things and i'm going to play and enjoy computer games as I have for thirty years, and I'm going to think that sexism and racism in media is a problem.

I'm kind of having three times the fun you are. Okay the last one isn't really fun so two times.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Obdicut posted:

Yeah, sometimes you'll get something like 4'33 and people will really like it, precisely because it is different from everything else. I'm sorry, but this stuff is subjective, not objective, and it's really okay. It's just a game of the year award, it really doesn't mean anything. There's like a billion different places giving out game of the year awards.

4'33 is objectively not music.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Junkfist posted:

Again, this is your subjective opinion. And that's fine, you can have it.

Put it another way: what percentage is there in claiming it is or isn't, or that something is a game or isn't? Where does it get you? Like are you worried people are going to start calling grilled cheese sandwiches 'games' and a really nice gruyere, manchego, and cheddar mix will win 'game of the year 2016'? Because I make really great grilled cheese sandwiches and I'd like to win game of the year but I don't think I will.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

SedanChair posted:

Games are aggressively hating women?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Junkfist posted:

It is though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Games are aggressively hating women?

Nice chainmail bikini you have there.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Obdicut posted:

Again, this is your subjective opinion. And that's fine, you can have it.

Put it another way: what percentage is there in claiming it is or isn't, or that something is a game or isn't? Where does it get you? Like are you worried people are going to start calling grilled cheese sandwiches 'games' and a really nice gruyere, manchego, and cheddar mix will win 'game of the year 2016'? Because I make really great grilled cheese sandwiches and I'd like to win game of the year but I don't think I will.

I am not sure what percentage of people correctly state the objective truth that 4'33" is not music or that games cannot have absolutely no gameplay.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Junkfist posted:

I am not sure what percentage of people correctly state the objective truth that 4'33" is not music or that games cannot have absolutely no gameplay.

4'33" is a piece consisting of the ambient sound in the performance space. It's music.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Junkfist posted:

Okay, well a lot of musicians and symphonies and stuff think 4'33" is music. It depends what you define music as. Likewise, whether a game nees active gameplay or just input is also debateable. Not for you, that's fine, but you don't seem to understand that these are taxonomic categories and so are automatically subjective. But I'm going to bed now, and in the morning, these things will still be subjective.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

SedanChair posted:

Sure, embrace misogyny because somebody who talks about it annoys you. History will definitely let you off the hook. "That guy was really annoying," you'll say. "I had no choice but to literally become a more virulent misogynist in response."

I just take pleasure in knowing you'll be probated or banned soon.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Obdicut posted:

Okay, well a lot of musicians and symphonies and stuff think 4'33" is music.

Ambient sound in a space is not a performance of music.

A game cannot exist completely devoid of gameplay.

To seriously affirm either is very silly, a good joke, or part of some sort of zen koan.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

SedanChair posted:

Games are actually getting better about this regardless of whether or not we discuss internet losers getting mad about youtube videos.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Obdicut posted:

The GG side says two, maybe three things:

There is a big problem with ethics in journalism because some journalists are friends with people who make games, and maybe sometimes on occasion give them good press. They focus pretty exclusively on the indie press and games. This 'started' with a big creepy post about Zoe Quinn who is alleged to have done a lot of nasty poo poo in a relationship to a guy, and incidentally also maybe gotten something out of it in terms of reviews but actually probably not, but anyway she slept with other dudes.

People who criticize games for anything other than 'objective' game play are bad and should stop doing that because it's bad. For example, noticing that games have almost no minority main characters is bad and if you don't like that don't buy the game and game studios are actually afraid of being called racist if they make a black character in a game and that's why they're all white, really.

Also Anita Sarkeesian is very bad.

Anti-GG says GG should shut the gently caress up.

some people who are 'anti-GG' also say that the traditional core group of 'gamers' are whiny, entitled, sheltered white kids who can't deal with the fact that their hobby has become mainstream, and that they don't need to be the audience anymore.

Others say that games have a lot of the worst parts of sexism,racism, and other bad stuff in our society and point it out a lot, sometimes in really tenuous ways.

Every point you've posted is incorrect and projecting some bullshit you believe and wish others did too.

For example, the ethics angle is fine with people mingling in the games industry. But gg just wants disclosure. That's it.

Sorry that's so appalling to you.

Also you e mentioned Anita like every other post in this thread. It's creepy. Please stop harassing her. She'll never be your waifu.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Motto posted:

Games are actually getting better about this regardless of whether or not we discuss internet losers getting mad about youtube videos.

Can we really be sure these two things are separate?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Some games are aggressively misogynistic. Most are not. What's the problem?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Powercrazy posted:

Some games are aggressively misogynistic. Most are not. What's the problem?

Puritanical values on sex are being marketed as feminism and idiots are buying into it.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Junkfist posted:

Ambient sound in a space is not a performance of music.

A game cannot exist completely devoid of gameplay.

To seriously affirm either is very silly, a good joke, or part of some sort of zen koan.

4'33" has been debated endlessly by a ton of people. I'd argue it is performance art and not music. Its supposed to make people think about the space around them, the meaning and relation of silence and the 'music' of life. Of course, it only works in a performance setting. The unification of the audience and looking at the composer and the musician not doing anything. Not to mention people typically don't go and listen to 4'33", it is in the middle of compositions or other musical events to make the contrast striking. I mean, it is basically the answer to 'everything is art' to 'everything is music'. But this isn't a thread about 4'33"

Unlike art or music, what makes a game to me is rather simple by comparison. Gaming is an active medium, others are passive. You read the book, turn the page. If you have something that is just text you read in which to absorb the story by clicking a mouse to go forward or back like a traditional novel, it is not a game. It is a book on screen. However, if it was like 'Her Story' in which you had to chose which videos to watch and to piece them together yourself, you are becoming an active participant. The story is not simply playing out before you while you watch or just turning the next page. This is a game. It is active vs. passive what determines what is or is not a game. Even walking simulators are games because you have to choose which way to go, which helps determine the direction of the story.

Let me stretch this definition to its most fundamental level. This game has only one button. It makes you go forward and this is the only direction you can go. However, how fast or how slow you got determines what you see and what you hear. If you tap the button rhythmically, you will see and experience difference things than if you just held it down. We can reduce this even further. You have one button that goes forward, but you have to hold it down. Barely anything changes and it doesn't matter how you press the button or how long you press it. You see the same things no matter what. However, if you stop pressing it, the game stops and resets your progress, which is just going forward. Is this a game? It is, it is called 'Desert Bus'

We shouldn't be thinking in gameplay terms for 'what is a game'? We should be thinking active vs. passive.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Is anyone actually incredulous at Batman being a deeply conservative narrative

Infinitely powerful super-vigilante dishing out eternal justice and brutality and literal torture to meet ends that the pussy american justice system just can't or won't. Oh by the way all of the criminals are just criminals forever and are incapable of reform no matter how many times they're put away, including some that APPEARED to be reformed then turned at the first opportune moment. A world of neverending crime to be solved the only way it can, one strong man with a hard-on for justice and a big ol Gun Utility Belt, ruling the streets with fear, but constantly reminded that everything would solved if he'd just do a little murder or two.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hashy posted:

Infinitely powerful super-vigilante dishing out eternal justice and brutality and literal torture to meet ends that the pussy american justice system just can't or won't. Oh by the way all of the criminals are just criminals forever and are incapable of reform no matter how many times they're put away, including some that APPEARED to be reformed then turned at the first opportune moment. A world of neverending crime to be solved the only way it can, one strong man with a hard-on for justice and a big ol Gun Utility Belt, ruling the streets with fear, but constantly reminded that everything would solved if he'd just do a little murder or two.

And then his villains do dastardly things like become Ambassador from Iran so the justice system can't touch them like in a sovereign citizen's fever dream.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

natetimm posted:

Puritanical values on sex are being marketed as feminism and idiots are buying into it.

W-what? give me an example

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

One lone rich man's eternal struggle against a narratively-enforced genetic disposition to crime

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hashy posted:

One lone rich man's eternal struggle against a narratively-enforced genetic disposition to crime
Let's be fair, most of Batman's villains are actually white. There's one Middle-Eastern guy, a crocodile, and a giant heap of clay. Otherwise, it's all honkies.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Hashy posted:

I honestly imagine most people don't care one way or the other, since a vast vast majority do not base their entertainment preferences on their politics unless their entertainment/lives are politics which is relatively few. Most people are just laughing at treating it with such gravity. It is a dude who dresses up as a big bat and punches a guy dressed in question marks.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Dapper Dan posted:

I honestly imagine most people don't care one way or the other, since a vast vast majority do not base their entertainment preferences on their politics unless their entertainment/lives are politics which is relatively few. Most people are just laughing at treating it with such gravity. It is a dude who dresses up as a big bat and punches a guy dressed in question marks.

These are the pertinent questions. Does society have its outlook shaped by works like this? Is cultural critique important as a result? I don't want to answer hasti--wait, it's 'yes'.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Dapper Dan posted:

So wait, do people not care or are people laughing at the people treating it with gravity?

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Nessus posted:

So wait, do people not care or are people laughing at the people treating it with gravity?

I'd go with apathy over laughter. Most people probably don't care.

Hashy posted:

These are the pertinent questions. Does society have its outlook shaped by works like this? Is cultural critique important as a result? I don't want to answer hasti--wait, it's 'yes'.

And what do we do with that information if there's no control over what creators create and what people can buy? Do we impose restrictions? Do we shame and berate people if they create something we don't like? Or do we just not buy it or consume it?

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Dapper Dan posted:

And what do we do with that information if there's no control over what creators create and what people can buy? Do we impose restrictions? Do we shame and berate people if they create something we don't like? Or do we just not buy it or consume it?

We examine the media we consume and foster a culture of introspection in the way we consume it so we are aware of the influences it has. Self-labeled "cultural critics" assist with that. Reviewers that criticize the way GTA5 treats women are taking part in that. Our drat high school English classes are largely about that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Dapper Dan posted:

quote:

Kevin: ...Well, you're always gonna have restraints, based on what culture you're born into. The concept of memes was first proposed by Richand Dawkins in a book called "The Selfish Gene." Dawkins, a biologist, stated that even if the actions of a living thing appear to be altruistic...Each of its genes is still engaging in selfish behavior -- purely as a matter of survival.

Raiden: Yeah, I heard about that.

Kevin: He went on to define memes as a different kind of self-replicating unit. They're the genes of a culture, from fashion to chord progressions in music...even political expression. And just like normal genes, they replicate. They grow, infecting more and more people.

Raiden: You buy a shirt you like, and put it on; other people see you wearing it, then buy it for themselves.

Kevin: Yeah. "The genes of a culture" makes it all sound pretty lofty...But the way Dawkins puts it, memes can also transmit worthless things, even the bad parts of a culture. Fashion's one thing, but value-related memes can put huge restraints on people's lives. For example, the idea that having lots of money is the ultimate goal, the thing we should all strive for...

Raiden: Heh, like in the US...

Kevin: Any capitalist country, really. But anyway, you catch this money-worship meme, then not only are you trying to get rich...You're also spreading that idea to other people. You have to. If that meme isn't the cultural norm, then what are you working for?

Raiden: So you start spreading the word around about how important it is to succeed, earn status.

Kevin: Right. And the really contagious memes can be even worse. For example: revenge. A guy sees his countrymen killed by terrorism, so he becomes a terrorist and retaliates...It's an infinite loop.

Raiden: I think it's the same thing with child soldiers. Kids' parents are killed by other kids, so they join the war next and start killing other people's parents. There's gotta be a way to break the cycle, though.

Kevin: Dawkins wrote about that, too. How we can rebel against our genes and memes. Once you're aware of your own memes, you can train yourself to identify and replicate the "good" ones...

Raiden: And kill the bad ones.

Kevin: Right.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

natetimm posted:

Whoa look it's Patriarchy Judo! You strike at me with feminism? I USE THE POWER OF YOUR OWN ATTACK AGAINST YOU and suddenly become super concerned with women's sexual expression! Which as we all know is best represented by a chain mail bikini.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Anita Sarkeesian... your feminist memes end here.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Well the Sarkeezy Effect people are having a slapfight again. dime store Kane wants more money without talking to dime store Romero, dime store Romero is calling Kane a useless and greedy gently caress. So now they're making videos making GBS threads on each other. Truly the gift that keeps giving.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

SedanChair posted:

Whoa look it's Patriarchy Judo! You strike at me with feminism? I USE THE POWER OF YOUR OWN ATTACK AGAINST YOU and suddenly become super concerned with women's sexual expression! Which as we all know is best represented by a chain mail bikini.

Except isn't this Puritanical Values being packaged as feminism?

Women treated equally and not discriminated, I think that's something people can get behind.

Getting into stuff where "sexy clothing" is discriminatory against women is getting kinda sketchy. And the Sarkesian/Mcintosh assertion that feminism shouldn't even include violence as it's too masculine is really out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Shadoer posted:

Except isn't this Puritanical Values being packaged as feminism?

Women treated equally and not discriminated, I think that's something people can get behind.

Getting into stuff where "sexy clothing" is discriminatory against women is getting kinda sketchy. And the Sarkesian/Mcintosh assertion that feminism shouldn't even include violence as it's too masculine is really out there.

It's sketchy if you don't know anything, at all, about the history of objectification of women.

• Locked thread