Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Progressive JPEG posted:

i have dreams of the brakes not working

i grew up with driving my parents' dodge minivan so it may just be a result of that

i have this recurring dream and then it really happened last month on my bicycle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Citizen Tayne posted:

lol when did cars stop being "dropped" and start being "stanced"

stancing can involve only dropping in one direction

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

fart simpson posted:

i have this recurring dream and then it really happened last month

maybe ur psychic

fart simpson posted:

on my bicycle

maybe ur retarded

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

rjmccall posted:

maybe ur retarded

are you channel shaggar?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i have a channel you can swim

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Citizen Tayne posted:

"dropped" is usually just plain ol' lowering, often to improve handling by lowering the car's center of gravity.

"stance" includes lowering the car, ideally by an impractical amount, uselessly large amounts of negative camber, uselessly thin tires, overly large amounts of stickers on the windows and rest of the car, and so on.

dropped:

stanced:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

crusader_complex posted:

im haunted nightly by images of my family juxtaposed with twisted metal and smoke...

anyhoo, should i cop the lambo or no?

The lambo edit was a joke because in Norwegian krone he paid almost as much for the tesla as that lambo is going for

Don't take it seriously, the dude has been fighting cancer in top of having a Norwegian sense of humour so

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Tusen Takk posted:

The lambo edit was a joke because in Norwegian krone he paid almost as much for the tesla as that lambo is going for

Don't take it seriously, the dude has been fighting cancer in top of having a Norwegian sense of humour so

It sucks that it's frequently hard to tell the difference between someone being an idiot and someone being a non native English speaker

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Literally the only funny thing that came out of Norway was comedians making fun of how different and goofy other Norwegians sound to each other from valley to valley, and a TV show called Dag, which is about a marriage counselor who encourages couples to divorce and live alone

Iirc if you google the most popular and funny Norwegian movie it's a clip of that famous Danish actor who was in one of the recent bond movies shooting a cow in the head because it wouldn't stop mooing.

Edit: okay this was kinda funny too

http://youtu.be/V3WjoiAfOGw

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jul 5, 2015

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Tusen Takk posted:

Literally the only funny thing that came out of Norway was comedians making fun of how different and goofy other Norwegians sound to each other from valley to valley, and a TV show called Dag, which is about a marriage counselor who encourages couples to divorce and live alone

Iirc if you google the most popular and funny Norwegian movie it's a clip of that famous Danish actor who was in one of the recent bond movies shooting a cow in the head because it wouldn't stop mooing.

mads mikkelson owns

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

kamelåså was Norwegian right

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

mads mikkelson owns

That's the one!!

http://youtu.be/2KKMOAXpuko

Also check that link in my edit

Luigi Thirty posted:

kamelåså was Norwegian right

Norwegians making fun of Danes, but that kinda fell under the "Comedians making fun of how people talk" thing

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 5, 2015

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

we always said lowered.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i'm sorry but per my agreement with Viacom Inc I have to refer to my ride as having been 'pimped'

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rjmccall posted:

maybe ur psychic

maybe ur retarded

bicycles own

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Progressive JPEG posted:

i have dreams of the brakes not working

i grew up with driving my parents' dodge minivan so it may just be a result of that
there should probably be a support group for people like us with dodge minivan flashbacks

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

quote:

“Backstage we have hair and makeup being done by employees who are passionate about that. At the happy hour our DJ is usually an in-house DJ who is passionate about that.”

ffs

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Unfortunately no one could possibly be passionate about living in vegas

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

mads mikkelson owns

he's the best hannibal lector ever

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

jack Halprin, the Google guy who bought a house in the mission and tried to illegally evict all the tenants (mostly teachers) has died of cancer

now his friends at Google are saying he was trying to "secretly" donate the house to Larkin Youth Services, probably in some attempt to make his lasting legacy be something other than "douchebag tries to illegally evict a bunch of teachers and an old woman"

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

fart simpson posted:

bicycles own

think of it like a slow motorcycle: know you are going to have a nasty accident every two to four years, and eventually you will probably not walk away from one of them. what you do with this knowledge is your choice

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

bassguitarhero posted:

jack Halprin, the Google guy who bought a house in the mission and tried to illegally evict all the tenants (mostly teachers) has died of cancer

now his friends at Google are saying he was trying to "secretly" donate the house to Larkin Youth Services, probably in some attempt to make his lasting legacy be something other than "douchebag tries to illegally evict a bunch of teachers and an old woman"

gently caress Cancer but also what a douche. i'm not glad he's dead, but i'm glad he's gone

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
That tesla story is amazing and I want one now.

most people think i drive bmws because i'm an rear end in a top hat but its really because the one time i was in a serious car accident my 3 series gave its life in the exact proper way to keep me safe and alive

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

I think that it is a reasonable thing for a service to say that they want people to use their real names. It is not an uncommon thing in the world, and most such cases have a much more stringent definition. By real name I mean the name you use when introducing yourself to someone when you meet them, for example. As Zuck said, you should be able to do that on Facebook.

no, it's not, this is stupid and garbage and bullshit. if you want someone looking you up on a goddamn website, you can give them your name on that website yourself. zuck's ideal where every single person on the planet can find your online biography (happily populated with content by your friends, even if you don't do it yourself) just by punching your name into the internet is poo poo trash that nobody but advertisers, stalkers, creeps, and social failures wants. i know, i know, it's a critical part of facebook's value proposition for freaks, perverts, and future murderers to be able to look up and cyberstalk that hot cheerleader they creeped on in tenth grade or that barista whose last name they managed to overhear, but that just benefits white males at the cost of basically everybody else

Stringent posted:

i would imagine that real name is pretty useless compared to age/sex/race/location/connections and all that demographic goodness

the point of the real name policy is to get accurate connections by forcing you to use your real name so literally anyone who has ever met you in real life can look you up on fb. even if they don't friend you or you reject their friend request, you better believe the system logs that poo poo, secretly makes associations, tries to infer unlisted interests based on the people looking you up, and so on. the true genius of facebook is that it bypasses your attempts to curate your own online identity by using your friends and acquaintances to fill in or guess at the information you didn't provide or lied about. for that to be effective, it's essential that everyone uses their real life names and that fb fosters a culture of looking up everybody you meet

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

most people think i drive bmws because i'm an rear end in a top hat but its really because the one time i was in a serious car accident my 3 series gave its life in the exact proper way to keep me safe and alive

it's ok all the assholes drive suvs now, you can drive a bmw with something resembling pride :unsmith:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

hollabackracy

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

it's basically one giant crumple zone b/c the motor is the size of a watermelon and mounted on the rear axle

i really wanna put doctor hoverwaifu in one for when she inevitably works a 36 hour shift and falls asleep approaching a yellow light on her way home

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
attn: tori https://madeinpgh.com/21-things-pittsburgh-has-given-to-america/

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

rjmccall posted:

think of it like a slow motorcycle: know you are going to have a nasty accident every two to four years, and eventually you will probably not walk away from one of them. what you do with this knowledge is your choice

I figure that a wreck every few years does significantly less damage to my body than being the fat guy on the fast track to diabetes town like I used to be.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's basically one giant crumple zone b/c the motor is the size of a watermelon and mounted on the rear axle

i really wanna put doctor hoverwaifu in one for when she inevitably works a 36 hour shift and falls asleep approaching a yellow light on her way home

it also weighs 4600lbs so whatever is unfortunate enough to be on the receiving end is going to take the brunt of the impact.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

if your bmw is more than 5 years old odds are you're not an rear end in a top hat

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

keyboard vomit posted:

if your bmw is more than 5 years old odds are you're not an rear end in a top hat

so like, an rear end in a top hat parasite? j/k jonny

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Main Paineframe posted:

no, it's not, this is stupid and garbage and bullshit. if you want someone looking you up on a goddamn website, you can give them your name on that website yourself. zuck's ideal where every single person on the planet can find your online biography (happily populated with content by your friends, even if you don't do it yourself) just by punching your name into the internet is poo poo trash that nobody but advertisers, stalkers, creeps, and social failures wants. i know, i know, it's a critical part of facebook's value proposition for freaks, perverts, and future murderers to be able to look up and cyberstalk that hot cheerleader they creeped on in tenth grade or that barista whose last name they managed to overhear, but that just benefits white males at the cost of basically everybody else

the point of the real name policy is to get accurate connections by forcing you to use your real name so literally anyone who has ever met you in real life can look you up on fb. even if they don't friend you or you reject their friend request, you better believe the system logs that poo poo, secretly makes associations, tries to infer unlisted interests based on the people looking you up, and so on. the true genius of facebook is that it bypasses your attempts to curate your own online identity by using your friends and acquaintances to fill in or guess at the information you didn't provide or lied about. for that to be effective, it's essential that everyone uses their real life names and that fb fosters a culture of looking up everybody you meet

do you have a facebook account

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Shifty Pony posted:

it also weighs 4600lbs so whatever is unfortunate enough to be on the receiving end is going to take the brunt of the impact.

i'm the ignorance of physics

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i remember reading an article about tesla years ago where their engineers said that getting rid of giant engine + drive train (oh, and the fuel tank) let them rethink everything about a car's design. the front and rear are just all storage space and crumple zones (as you point out), all the weight (battery packs) is on the floor so it has a really low center of gravity and consequently better handling, and so on. plus they require almost zero maintenance (which is the real reason dealers hate them).

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Cold on a Cob posted:

so like, an rear end in a top hat parasite? j/k jonny

the economic crash was loving amazing for lower to middle class car fans. Every 150k millionaire dumped their old bmw that they were keeping around for no real reason. huge flood of german luxos from about 2006 on

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

FMguru posted:

i remember reading an article about tesla years ago where their engineers said that getting rid of giant engine + drive train (oh, and the fuel tank) let them rethink everything about a car's design. the front and rear are just all storage space and crumple zones (as you point out), all the weight (battery packs) is on the floor so it has a really low center of gravity and consequently better handling, and so on. plus they require almost zero maintenance (which is the real reason dealers hate them).

dealers hate them because they refuse to franchise

zero maintenance doesn't mean zero sales, zero warranty repair, or zero bodywork, or zero detailing. just none of those services will be provided by penske or autonation

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i like the little electric bmw i3 or w/e

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i'm the ignorance of physics

for head on collision like that guy's it matters. crumple zones and safety systems are all about spreading the acceleration of an impact out over a few more microseconds instead of it arriving in one massive neck breaking burst but in a wreck between a heavier vehicle and a lighter vehicle the lighter vehicle's safety systems have to deal with much more acceleration because the momentum of the vehicles is conserved in the resulting carblob of mangled steel and bodies.

smacking into something that doesn't move like a bridge support or trying to avoid the wreck in the first place is when the extra mass is a major liability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Main Paineframe posted:

zuck's ideal where

also, why does anyone care what zuck's ideal is or treat him like some sort of guru in this space?

he just happened to launch his hacked-together sixdegrees clone at the right time, and managed to ride the iPhone wave in a way that prevented it from going out with the tide in a couple years like every other one had. remember Friendster? Orkut? they could've been Facebook, with different timing.

• Locked thread