Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
The amount of Yen hate is unreal here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

teraflame posted:

The amount of Yen hate is unreal here.

Well, she is a huge bitch so . . .

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Snuffman posted:

Interesting, there's a building with locked doors but I never found a key.

Also a sub-grotto-cave area Geralt can sense air coming through. So the game is saying HAY-USE-GRAPESHOT, but that's not an option.

I feel like the "contract" and storyline quest got confused at some point. Oh well.
It's saying that there's another cave beneath you and you should find a way in, not blow it up. I don't think there's ever a place you blow stuff up with grapeshot, actually. Aard sometimes, but that's it, and they're marked with the Aard symbol after you spot them with witcher senses.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Poetic Justice posted:

Well, she is a huge bitch so . . .

She really isn't. She's not submissive, is all. I thought she was a really interesting character, I loved her agency.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

echronorian posted:

She really isn't. She's not submissive, is all. I thought she was a really interesting character, I loved her agency.

I hate her and her air of swarminess "my poo poo don't stink" personally

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I found it pretty understandable that Yen was being bitchy to people like Ermion and doing questionable poo poo like necromancy because her adopted daughter is potentially dead or kidnapped by dimension-hopping elves out of a heavy metal album cover and she is rightly stressed out over it.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Accordion Man posted:

I found it pretty understandable that Yen was being bitchy to people like Ermion and doing questionable poo poo like necromancy because her adopted daughter is potentially dead or kidnapped by dimension-hopping elves out of a heavy metal album cover and she is rightly stressed out over it.

I'm pretty sure she was just using that as a cover for her huge bitch personality

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I think I hit my first quest bug, after 70+ hours. The quest Hard Times on Skellige, I'm supposed to deliver a letter I found after killing a cyclops to the blacksmith in Kaer Trolde. But I can't activate the guy, I'm pretty sure I could before, there's no button prompt over his head and hitting E while his name shows up doesn't do anything.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?
I can totally understand why virgin basement trolls wouldn't be comfortable with a woman who has enough power to take care of herself and who makes her own decisions.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Turds in magma posted:

I can totally understand why virgin basement trolls wouldn't be comfortable with a woman who has enough power to take care of herself and who makes her own decisions.

Yes, I too like women who don't like me and don't show affection because I have no idea what love is. :allears:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I just had a glitch where I encountered a bandit camp but no bandit went aggro and they kept just talking while I was slowly riding between them. I thought it's maybe some special camp with a quest or something so finally I got off my horse in the middle of it, I managed to take 2 steps when they all went berserk and the usual fight broke out. It was funny in a way as it seemed like they all went "let me tell you about this guy I killed, wait is it just me or this guy riding around our camp should be killed?".

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Section 31 posted:

There are some Witcher armor and weapon sets which you can upgrade after you discover their schematics.

Yeah, I'm wondering about this as well. From the gameplay technical perspective most likely it's because having hundreds of Nilfgaardian/allied soldiers at Kaer Morhen will make the game very easy to play. Storywise though, I also wonder why Geralt just outright reject reinforcement soldiers led by Voorhis.

Oh, I knew about the Witcher armour, I was rocking full Griffin by the end. I just wish there was more to do with the basic Kaer Morhen set, as well as some of the more significant 'reward' swords, like the one Crach gives you. For example, taking a bunch of the reward swords and the basic Kaer Morhen one, and stripping them all down for special parts to make a super sword. I like dumb super swords which I would never use. Also, I would have liked to see more done with other weapon types. I know you can use axes, and there is one polearm in the game you can use, it would have been nice if there had been some more detail on their end, for example, a few unique axes in Skellige.

On Voorhis, I understand why Geralt didn't want a whole Nilgaardian regiment at Kaer Morhen, but there should have been a choice to talk Voorhis himself into coming down on his own or with a couple men. Let his men die very quickly into the siege if balance is the issue, I just want opportunities to interact with Voorhis. It would have been nice to see him interact with Ciri, to act as a autonomous envoy of sorts to convince her to go along with the plan. He could have interacted with Roche with a sort of acknowledgement of their alliance details which the player isn't clued in on yet, as foreshadowing. Same with Yennefer too, since she has stuff in the works with the Empire. Letho too, since Letho was hired by the empire.

There are a lot of things that the player is not 'in' on at the point in the game, and that was a great chance for hints to be dropped that plans were afoot which Geralt was not aware of. It felt like a huge missed opportunity to drop in some intrigue, since the next act is a lot of events unfolding which you had no clue at all about before. Having a few scant clues as breadcrumbs but no real substance would have made a lot of the events that take place after feel much more exciting, since you have an idea something is going on but not what.

echronorian posted:

I think it is a poor relationship because it is not founded on a mutual respect, but a Djinn induced infatuation on one side, and a constantly condescending tone who has no qualms with using their partner as leverage on the other. I mean, she clearly cares for Geralt, but it is always after she has been particularly cruel or petty to him that she realises that. Always too late. It is a destructive relationship. If Geralt was not magically obsessed with her, he probably would not have overlooked all the times in the past where she talked down to him, hid things from him, used him for personal gain, etc. She prioritises her own standing before her relationship (and I don't mean 'before Geralt', I mean the relationship), and it is pretty foul of her to do that. There is no equality or mutuality there.

She was definitely an interesting character, and probably one of the most well written characters who has a romance option in a videogame ever. She has motivations, ambitions, and her own preferences, which sets her aside from most of the archetypal characters who hold that role usually. I don't hate her, I just don't like her as a person. The Witcher 3 does a very good job of presenting its characters as actual people, instead of as orbital objects to the main character. That drove me to look at the relationship between her and Geralt less like it was a game where nothing really matters, and more like I would a real relationship between two people. And I think it would be a poor relationship which is doomed in real life. I can understand making your own decisions, that is fine. But having a respect for the person is important, and Yen kinda doesn't.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Another Person posted:

I think it is a poor relationship because it is not founded on a mutual respect, but a Djinn induced infatuation on one side, and a constantly condescending tone who has no qualms with using their partner as leverage on the other. I mean, she clearly cares for Geralt, but it is always after she has been particularly cruel or petty to him that she realises that. Always too late. It is a destructive relationship. If Geralt was not magically obsessed with her, he probably would not have overlooked all the times in the past where she talked down to him, hid things from him, used him for personal gain, etc. She prioritises her own standing before her relationship (and I don't mean 'before Geralt', I mean the relationship), and it is pretty foul of her to do that. There is no equality or mutuality there.

She was definitely an interesting character, and probably one of the most well written characters who has a romance option in a videogame ever. She has motivations, ambitions, and her own preferences, which sets her aside from most of the archetypal characters who hold that role usually. I don't hate her, I just don't like her as a person. The Witcher 3 does a very good job of presenting its characters as actual people, instead of as orbital objects to the main character. That drove me to look at the relationship between her and Geralt less like it was a game where nothing really matters, and more like I would a real relationship between two people. And I think it would be a poor relationship which is doomed in real life.

You can summarize this with "She is a huge bitch"

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Poetic Justice posted:

You can summarize this with "She is a huge bitch"

not really

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Look, I didn't read the books, maybe I'm miscasting her character and if I read the books I would change my mind, but in game she is a huge freaking bitch.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The world will not be safe for Poetic Justice until all the video game romance women are his submissive waifu.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

The world will not be safe for Poetic Justice until all the video game romance women are his submissive waifu.

I like women to show me affection if I am to fall in love with them, I know that's weird. Especially videogame women.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
sounds like she made you her bitch

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
You guys talk about how much she loves Ciri, but not about how much she "loves" Gerald. She is freaking awful.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

question about the nithing so, i decided to reverse the curse on jonna because, while i try to never kill when i don't have to, killing a man's infant son because he married another woman is pretty decisively evil. but when i did it, geralt was all "fine i'll do it even though you earned this." what did he do to earn it? i must have missed part of the story because i don't get that. from what i understand, lothar and jonna grew up with one another but then lothar married someone else. were they promised to be married to each other? if that's the case, still okay with giving the death penalty to the lady who tried to murder an infant child over a petty squabble.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yen is cool.

I think both Geralt and Yen like the nature of the relationship with her being bossy and Geralt humoring her, giving her poo poo right back, or ignoring it. All the other characters keep saying Geralt is whipped and Yen takes advantage of him, but we see the two of them in private and how affectionate both are for each other when they don't have to put on fronts for other people.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
"She is a great mother"

"I can understrand her coldness, she has her child to think about"

"She is a terrible person because of Ciri"

Naw, how about she is just an awful person, and Gerald is better than that, ever think of that?

Gerald isn't a bad person because of Ciri, if anything Ciri makes Geralt a better person, if you roleplay correctly.

He deserves better than a terrible person, he is better then Yen.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
No I didn't think of that, because I'm not autistic

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

See what I mean about weirdos getting triggered by Yen?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

T.G. Xarbala posted:

See what I mean about weirdos getting triggered by Yen?

She is an awful person. Period, it's you weirdoes making excuses for her behaviour that is embaressing.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

So's Geralt but we follow his perspective and go along for the ride.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
What would third rate action hero Riddick do

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

Yen is cool.

I think both Geralt and Yen like the nature of the relationship with her being bossy and Geralt humoring her, giving her poo poo right back, or ignoring it. All the other characters keep saying Geralt is whipped and Yen takes advantage of him, but we see the two of them in private and how affectionate both are for each other when they don't have to put on fronts for other people.

well, of course it is all down to player choice, but keep in mind geralt was under a spell for most of the game, which might explain why he just lets her actions bounce off of him

after ending it all with the djinn quest, I didn't see much between him and her in private any more, certainly not love

although, I also haven't seen if any cutscenes are different if you choose to stick with her

I don't like her much because I feel like it is a doomed relationship if it were real. Yen does mention that they have broken up before at some point, so it clearly isn't all rosey.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

echronorian posted:

What would third rate action hero Riddick do

break ur weak rear end body that begs to appreciate "powerful women" in half and leave you on the road to be eaten by carrions as I peel out in my segway

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Another Person posted:

after ending it all with the djinn quest, I didn't see much between him and her in private any more, certainly not love

although, I also haven't seen if any cutscenes are different if you choose to stick with her

Well yeah, because you decisively ended their relationship.

Poetic Justice posted:

break ur weak rear end body that begs to appreciate "powerful women" in half and leave you on the road to be eaten by carrions as I peel out in my segway

lmao

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Poetic Justice posted:

She is an awful person. Period, it's you weirdoes making excuses for her behaviour that is embaressing.

The only thing "awful" about her that isn't 100% justified by the search for Ciri is that she is rude to people. That's it. Lambert is just as much of an rear end in a top hat as Yennefer is, and Lambert owns.

And big shock, if you make Geralt show her affection, she shows some right back. Crazy, right? It's actually incredibly obvious that she cares about him.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Granted it takes a while before you realize Lambert is awesome and until then he seems pretty heinous.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Makes you think.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Granted it takes a while before you realize Lambert is awesome and until then he seems pretty heinous.

"Lambert... I love you, man."

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Makes you think.

Why isn't he dateable? That is what really made me think, late at night, looking through the portals to mages, dressed in womans clothing.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Poetic Justice posted:

Why isn't he dateable? That is what really made me think, late at night, looking through the portals to mages, dressed in womans clothing.

:agreed:

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

T.G. Xarbala posted:

lambert is awesome, agreed

e; but not as awesome as voorhis or djikstra

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A GAME INTO THE SLOT. ITS WITCHER 3 AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, GERALT. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME DROWNER BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXY’S MOST DANGEROUS LOVE TRIANGLE. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO POWERFUL WOMEN IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE POWERFUL WOMEN CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING. THEN I LIFT

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Yen is great, gently caress the haters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yen totally shows affection, you have to be totally buying in to Lambert's japes and your own personal hangup to miss it imo.

I feel like I am in a very small minority of people who like feisty banter with women. Yen actually interacts with me/Geralt and there's some funny back and forth as well as some genuine moments as opposed to Triss who just is on my nuts for *reasons* (which seem to basically be 'oh geralt-san I can be your waifu').

I missed a lot of the 'get dumped into a lake' or meaner responses people are talking about because I didn't act like a dick to her (I mean she's right, she is allowed to be mad for 15 minutes regardless of amnesia alright it's human, leave her alone like she asks and she leaves you alone about it!). Basically this:

Walrus Pete posted:

And big shock, if you make Geralt show her affection, she shows some right back. Crazy, right? It's actually incredibly obvious that she cares about him.

Like yeah if you're on a warpath to convince her that she should have no human feelings because you didn't remember anything and that's why you boned her friend then yeah she is probably a bit of a dick but otherwise there's no issues aside from a bed getting thrown out (and even then she's just like 'bro I'm allowed to toss the bed out leave it alone' and then drops it if you do).

and also,

Riso posted:

Yen is great, gently caress the haters.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jul 5, 2015