Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Okay, that's two, minus the piggy bank I'm no longer confused about.

the last one on the right before the anvil is a meat grinder (turns crimstone into flesh)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm halfway through Hardmode and still haven't found a Rare Plant. Is there something special I should be doing?

Also, Explosives are more powerful than Dynamite, right? For excavating large farms/arenas underground.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
For some dumb reason I don't know how to fix, I can't swing a weapon while jumping anymore. I click and click but nothing registers. If I'm swinging something with autoswing, though, it continues to swing. I can't place items while jumping, either. Is anyone else having this problem?

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So I read that sunflowers stave off corruption. Does that mean it's smarter of me to leave them where they are if they are closer to the corruption so that once the corruption starts to creep the sunflowers will stop it sooner?

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm halfway through Hardmode and still haven't found a Rare Plant. Is there something special I should be doing?

Also, Explosives are more powerful than Dynamite, right? For excavating large farms/arenas underground.

Strange plants are absurdly rare for some reason, I've been searching for it for on 5 worlds now.

Explosives have a bigger blast radius but you need to hook it up with wires and buttons/levers and it's too much of a hassel unless you're making a huge trap or want to blow up a house. Just use dynamite or wait for a solar eclipse, buy Rocket IVs from the Cyborg and destroy the entire world.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Hey if you're like me and you keep losing track of where the cursor is in a sea of darkness and/or flaming neon particles, go to C:\Users\[name]\Documents\My Games\Terraria\config.json and set "ThickMouseEdges" near the bottom to true for a nice fatty outlined cursor.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Also, if I'm understanding the wiki correctly Chlorophyte ammo is a bad choice for the uzi / shotbow because it's piercing?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

So I read that sunflowers stave off corruption. Does that mean it's smarter of me to leave them where they are if they are closer to the corruption so that once the corruption starts to creep the sunflowers will stop it sooner?

They don't actually do that anymore. They do reduce monster spawns and increase your move speed though.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It's bad for the bow because it the arrow pierce, but it's great for the uzi because the bullets are homing.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

pon alien posted:

It's bad for the bow because it the arrow pierce, but it's great for the uzi because the bullets are homing.

The invulnerability frames won't make some of the bullets miss?

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

You only need one to contain the corruption, so you can move any extra flowers to more strategic locations or to the other side of the corruption. It isn't a huge deal either way, though, the corruption spreads really slowly pre-hardmode and the sunflowers stop working once hardmode activates. I find it more useful to spread them throughout the world now, they give you a "Happiness" buff as long as you're within a screen or so that buffs your movement speed and lower monster spawn rate.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

What's the poo poo between the anvil and sawmill?

So, sawmill, lizhard furnace, ???, piggy bank, flesh crafter, anvil.

One more to go.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

There seems to be misinformation about the angler and what causes him to spawn. Do you have to do anything to find him on the beach? Does he just spawn at one beach or the other and you just need to be lucky and find him?

I've found him twice (different worlds) at the first ocean I went to. The first time he was sleeping on the beach. The second time he was floating on the surface of the ocean. He was slooooowly drifting towards shore when a shark killed him. He respawned on the beach when I left the ocean biome then walked back.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

So, sawmill, lizhard furnace, ???, piggy bank, flesh crafter, anvil.

One more to go.

Excelzior posted:

the last one on the right before the anvil is a meat grinder (turns crimstone into flesh)

Sawmill, Cloning Vat (crafting with flesh), Lizahrd Furnace, Piggy Bank, Meat Grinder (for CREATING flesh), Anvil

yrF
Jun 23, 2009

Pre hardmode not expert base so far, ad hoc build. Minetracks to oceans, sky shrooms and sky jungle, the normal stuff. I need to add wiring stuff and lava pits and a more robust battle area. The idea so far was to fill as much space with habitable rooms to limit spawning. It's proved very goblin proof when fighting in the watery pit of despair.

The pit of despair is fun. By switching NPCs from one side of the gap to the other, they sometimes fall in and get stuck with the enemies. Then they duke it out with whatever invasion.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Weird. I just found an enchanted blade pit that spawned right in the center of a big tree:

Speaking of big trees, does anybody know why this room is considered invalid?
I've made triple sure that there are no gaps in the walls, and I've manually ripped out and replaced all of the blocks that act as walls.
Does the living wood leaf wall not count as valid background or something?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Akett posted:

There should be cultists at the entrance to the dungeon, assuming you haven't demolished it.
Oh right, I meant do I need to like, gear up for that or anything?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Lakbay posted:

Do you have to kill a mecha boss to get life fruits and plantera bulbs to spawn? I have two hardmode worlds and neither of them have life fruit.

I'm in the same situation. I googled around a bit and found people saying you need to kill a mecha boss before plantera's plant will spawn, but nothing about life bulbs. However, I sure can't find any either. I think it must be so.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Lakitu7 posted:

I'm in the same situation. I googled around a bit and found people saying you need to kill a mecha boss before plantera's plant will spawn, but nothing about life bulbs. However, I sure can't find any either. I think it must be so.

I think it was the Fishron update that changed it to "kill all 3 mech bosses" before you can find Plantera bulbs. After the initial three, any mech kill is supposed to buff the bulb spawn rate.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Expert Skeletron is a bitch. Phase 1 isn't too bad, I can space gun the hands down without too much trouble. It's phase 2 when he charges and locks into your position and sits on you until you die that's horrible.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

Expert Skeletron is a bitch. Phase 1 isn't too bad, I can space gun the hands down without too much trouble. It's phase 2 when he charges and locks into your position and sits on you until you die that's horrible.
Have you tried not killing the hands? That sounds like he might going "WELL gently caress YOU THEN".

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Adding to base chat.

I made a version of this about a year ago, and I wanted another for the new version. This time I changed a few things to give myself some more room and to have spaces for the NPCs that exist now that didn't exist then and such. In a lot of ways it's better than that attempt a year ago, but there's a few things I'm still pretty dissatisfied with, but gently caress it, I've spent more than enough time on this as it is; from here on, for the sake of my sanity, hopefully I'll stick to minor changes.

Unrelated to base chat: Holy poo poo am I bad at killing bosses. What's the general strategy for killing the mech bosses in particular, besides 'grind for OP combo X, wreck poo poo in less than 30 seconds', or is that literally the only strategy for these things and it's not completely that I'm terrible.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

Unrelated to base chat: Holy poo poo am I bad at killing bosses.

You easily make up for that with your cool base building skills. :catstare:

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
I think the last thing is the Flesh Grinder, which is what lets you turn Crimstone in to Flesh.

Yes, there's one item that lets you craft flesh, and another item that lets you actually turn it into things.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Adding to base chat.

I made a version of this about a year ago, and I wanted another for the new version. This time I changed a few things to give myself some more room and to have spaces for the NPCs that exist now that didn't exist then and such. In a lot of ways it's better than that attempt a year ago, but there's a few things I'm still pretty dissatisfied with, but gently caress it, I've spent more than enough time on this as it is; from here on, for the sake of my sanity, hopefully I'll stick to minor changes.

Unrelated to base chat: Holy poo poo am I bad at killing bosses. What's the general strategy for killing the mech bosses in particular, besides 'grind for OP combo X, wreck poo poo in less than 30 seconds', or is that literally the only strategy for these things and it's not completely that I'm terrible.

The Destroyer is maybe the easiest mech boss, but you'll need a way to deal a lot of damage or pierce enemies. His soul is used to make the Megashark which will help A LOT with the other two. The twins is either the hardest or the easiest boss, depending on if you're playing online and if you have gravity potions. No real strategy, except you need to learn how to avoid Spazmatisms second phase.
Skeletron prime is a bitch, because he's as mobile as the twins but have much more hp and defence and if you hang out on the ground, he'll bitch slap you. Unlike normal Skeletron he gains defence when he's spinning, so use that time to kill his hands and then shoot his head when they're all gone.

Gravity potions works wonders on twins and prime because they cannot catch up with you when you're going up and down. Also don't use melee in hardmode. Melee is good before hardmode and it is great when you get to the Lunar Pillars, but everything between that is either getting good with ranged weapons or spectre armour magic if you're bad at the game like me.

Also play with other people so you can die miserably with others. :)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The way I just did it was make some Holy Arrows and an Orichalcum Repeater and with my orchaclium armor just shoot thousands of stars and petals and poo poo at the Destroyer's many, many segments, then take the souls it dropped and build a Megashark and some crystal and ichor bullets and just drown the other mech bosses in bullets.

Make sure you have wings for mobility, too. And build an area to fight them in you won't be too bothered by other enemies and throw heart lanterns and campfires around, and freebase every relevant buff potion.

... It occurs to me I don't see an herb farm in your base. You might want to buy a bunch of planters from the Dryad and build one.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I'm not terribly creative but I've been working on this. It's a step up from my usual cube houses at least

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I bashed my head against expert mode for a few days but I decided I have more fun when death isn't always imminent.

So I'm working on a new guy, in a new world, with a new base. This is the very start of what I've built, its' gonna be a decent little manor with two wings and a walkway over the sunflower garden. The carpentry shop and smithy will be in adjacent buildings. For once I'm not going to cram everything in an as efficient space as possible, but instead use lots of different room shapes and sizes, and spread out the storage and crafting stations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Gimbal lock posted:

Weird. I just found an enchanted blade pit that spawned right in the center of a big tree:

Speaking of big trees, does anybody know why this room is considered invalid?
I've made triple sure that there are no gaps in the walls, and I've manually ripped out and replaced all of the blocks that act as walls.
Does the living wood leaf wall not count as valid background or something?

Valid walls for housing must be player placed. Take down that leaf wall and put up your own and it will work.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Zereth posted:

Have you tried not killing the hands? That sounds like he might going "WELL gently caress YOU THEN".

The pre-hardmode bosses have new gimmicks on expert. Expert Skeletron's new gimmick is that he has insane defense(most attacks will do 1 damage) until you kill both hands.

Mortvert
Oct 13, 2013

What?!
This is amazing!

Kanos posted:

The pre-hardmode bosses have new gimmicks on expert. Expert Skeletron's new gimmick is that he has insane defense(most attacks will do 1 damage) until you kill both hands.

You tried the slime mount goomba-stomping trick for expert skeletron? I found that it works nicely for most of bosses myself.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Here's my work in progress. Still pretty sparse but I'm not into hardmode yet. I've always wanted to do like a town style setup where each npc gets their own place but apartment complex is just too drat efficient

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I am bad at Terraria but I am riding a giant bunny across a huge lake while wildly firing a gun that shoots bees.

I am happy.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

What.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

... poo poo, they're crafted nowadays? Well, I never use the bunny cannon anyway, though. But that's expensive as hell.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
So if you get a good yoyo, craft the yoyo bag and get a counterweight you can output some major damage. With the yoyo bag or just the glove you suddenly have two yoyos for twice the damage. I was lucky to find a code 2 yoyo.

Mortvert
Oct 13, 2013

What?!
This is amazing!
Does any of you have any idea if you can craft endless bags of non-normal ammo like silver musket balls? I can't find any info on the wiki and I'm not keen on burning throught majority of my current resources just to see if thing like that exist.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Mortvert posted:

Does any of you have any idea if you can craft endless bags of non-normal ammo like silver musket balls? I can't find any info on the wiki and I'm not keen on burning throught majority of my current resources just to see if thing like that exist.

You can't, it's only normal musket balls and arrows you can make the endless bags with.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Making progress but it's still kinda slow going cause I have so much adventuring to do as part of collecting materials. I don't even have a hook yet so I can't get much fancier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

YF-23 posted:

Valid walls for housing must be player placed. Take down that leaf wall and put up your own and it will work.

The leaf wall is 100% player placed, unfortunately. I'm beginning to suspect that it's entirely because of a strange room that I've built at the base of the tree is interfering somehow. I'll try building the room on the west side of the trunk.