Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zolthorg
May 26, 2009

GeneX posted:

that's not quite how win% works, friend

They LITERALLY stated "WE WILL ONLY COUNT MATCHES BETWEEN CATS AND DOGS"

A Full cat team does mediocre, and somehow scores 199 points each x 4 people and wins against a team of dogs who extort the spacetime continuum and all earn 401 points but lose
4 cats are rewarded 3 points each, 4 dogs are rewarded 2 points each, total slimmest point margin difference POSSIBLE: 12 points to team cat, 8 points to team dog.

They actually loving counted dog vs dog matches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Cabbagepots posted:

It is when you consider that dogs had almost twice the number of players cats did.

If the matchmaker behaved itself then it shouldn't matter if cats got 95% or 5% or 50% of the vote because every game that counted should have had 4 cats and 4 dogs.

Obviously it was on the fritz early on but it seems to have sorted itself out by the time I came back to finish off my ranks.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
To be honest I didn't even know Dog vs. Dog matches were possible until some Team Dog person said it happened.

All I ever saw on Team Cat was mangy mutts that needed to be put down :c00lbert:

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

pulp rag posted:

Whole lot of crybaby cats in this thread right now.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
Well, Salt Spray Rig is generally a favorite map.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

zolthorg posted:

A Full cat team does mediocre, and somehow scores 199 points each x 4 people and wins against a team of dogs who extort the spacetime continuum and all earn 401 points but lose
4 cats are rewarded 3 points each, 4 dogs are rewarded 2 points each, total slimmest point margin difference POSSIBLE: 12 points to team cat, 8 points to team dog.

Man chill.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

zolthorg posted:

you seem upset at the video game where the dog beat the cat

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

The Gorp posted:

I am so furious at tower control, went from A- to B trying to understand what the trick is.
As it stands, its a jumbled mess that would benefit greatly from tripled re-spawn times.

Haha, nah it's balanced pretty dang well. It's just a bit brutal that the only way to learn it is to put your rank on the line.

Though, I would like to say gently caress Saltspray tower control. I'm mad at that set up even when I win.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0LU7mztkDE

Cat's are snobby anti-social elitists, dogs are gloating sell-outs who only won by popularity.
Everyone is to blame. Chill out with breakfast.

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jul 5, 2015

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

zolthorg posted:

Can somebody translate this for me please? I have reread it multiple times and am utterly incapable of seeing how this chain of logic is supposed to prove that dog vs dog matches were being counted or how it's supposed to correlate to pure win percentages. :psyduck:

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Trash Boat posted:

Can somebody translate this for me please? I have reread it multiple times and am utterly incapable of seeing how this chain of logic is supposed to prove that dog vs dog matches were being counted or how it's supposed to correlate to pure win percentages. :psyduck:

He's upset about video games

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

The winner of splatfest is apparently just winrate*2 + popularity out of 100

so if you're in a 38/62 population split you need a goddamn loving 55% winrate to win. There is zero skill or gameplay involved you're just supposed to go to "le epic reddite" and find out which pick is the predetermined winning side like a loving world of warcraft server before you even start playing

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
:staredog:

Poultron
May 26, 2006

zolthorg posted:

so if you're in a 38/62 population split you need a goddamn loving 55% winrate to win. There is zero skill or gameplay involved you're just supposed to go to "le epic reddite" and find out which pick is the predetermined winning side like a loving world of warcraft server before you even start playing

Holy poo poo who cares you insane nerd, the winners get 5 less stupid video game items or whatever, it's just an event about having fun.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Poultron posted:

Holy poo poo who cares you insane nerd, the winners get 5 less stupid video game items or whatever, it's just an event about having fun.

There is no winner, its a loving popularity vote that gets you 6 more of the item for zero difference in effort

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Yeah, see how big we are?
It's okay that you voted for the inferior animal in the video game.

We forgive you!

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Well personally, I am just loving fuming mad that other people didn't get 6 free rerolls on their gear, this game is trash, Nintendo does it again boys,

EDIT: Splatfest was fun and cool and I look hella forward to more Splatfests. It rekindled my interest in the game

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Trash Boat posted:

oh good I thought I was the only one

Also yeah, splatfest was awesome.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Unless you're using an aerospray or playing ranked battle, a good turfwar player hits like 1300 points on a win, if you round that off to 1500 points then a sea snail is worth 20 wins to a player of that calibur. I lost 120 wins worth of gold due to garbage vote tallying which is 6 hours of more grinding in my life. To be specific, 6 hours of consecutive turf war wins and I have to switch from weapons I like to playing the dumb Aerospray; otherwise it will take me even longer.

Good Job Dogs~!!

zolthorg fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jul 5, 2015

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Oh god you alone ruined Splatfest

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Anime Curator posted:

Oh god you alone ruined Splatfest

actually the reminder that a bunch of children who voted dog got sea snails instead of him makes the whole thing just a tad bit nicer

it was a fun thing either way though, even if dogs had lost it would have been a fun event.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
lmao

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

zolthorg posted:

Unless you're using an aerospray or playing ranked battle, a good turfwar player hits like 1300 points on a win, if you round that off to 1500 points then a sea snail is worth 20 wins to a player of that calibur. I lost 120 wins worth of gold due to garbage vote tallying which is 6 hours of more grinding in my life. To be specific, 6 hours of consecutive turf war wins and I have to switch from weapons I like to playing the dumb Aerospray; otherwise it will take me even longer.

Good Job Dogs~!!

You didn't lose them, you failed to win enough to gain them.

The Splatfest formula has been transparent from the beginning, we knew before Japan's first one. If you care that much why didn't you do the math earlier?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I was on team dog but I feel like the rewards should be the same regardless of who wins just because of the statistics and scale of it all, where it should be expected to come down to the popular vote every time. So many people are participating that individuals can't influence it and will approach 50-50 because it's a binary choice left up to a whole host of random factors. Therefore just do the picking a side and choosing a winner thing for hashtag social media hashtag participation and just give everyone rewards based on their personal performance.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Or not, I don't care it's just an inky squid game for kids.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

zolthorg posted:

Good Job Dogs~!!

Christ I really can't believe you actually grind in a game made for literally children god drat :eyepop:

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Zolthorg is exhibiting a fascinating example of child motivation-oriented fairness.

It's not about what is actually the most good, (68% of people picked dog, making it the most advantageous to the most people) it is about what most benefits the infant.
Children given the choice of giving a partner 4 units of food and obtaining 4 for themselves, or 8 for their friend and 4 for themselves always chose the first as the goodwill doesn't benefit them and is perceived as "unfair".
Zolthorgs rage wouldn't exist of other people didn't recieve more than he did, he is also likely to be between 5-8 years old due to the arising sense of "effort and individual contribution" factoring in, if only for him.

Read more here!
http://www.researchgate.net/profile...7f932000000.pdf

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

zolthorg posted:

Good Job Dogs~!!

Haha why are you grinding sea slugs, don't you know Splatoon is a journey not a destination? Isn't there a way to save scum your rolls, too? Go take a nap man.

(Also, if you're good you'd make a lot more playing ranked than turf war)

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
Ain't even mad team cat lost because zolthorg has put everything into perspective.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

i will not be clicking that link

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Count Uvula posted:

(Also, if you're good you'd make a lot more playing ranked than turf war)

Tower mode just came out like a day before Splatfest? I haven't even had a chance to actually play it yet.

Please don't talk to me as if Splat Zones is a remotely fun game mode or should have shipped with the game though.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
I can't believe this was only going for the time I was out of the house.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

zolthorg posted:

Tower mode just came out like a day before Splatfest? I haven't even had a chance to actually play it yet.

Please don't talk to me as if Splat Zones is a remotely fun game mode or should have shipped with the game though.

Actually, Splat Zones is a cool, and fun game mode, for winners who like to enjoy themselves.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

zolthorg posted:

Do you need some cream, sir? You seem a little Butthurt.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

zolthorg posted:

Good Job Dogs~!!

Good Job Dogs~!!

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

zolthorg I know you represent Team Cat but you need to stop being such a pussy.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

zolthorg posted:

:catdrugs:

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
ITT a manchild nerd melts down over a game for children :sbahj:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...
Splatfest is not as enjoyable as I thought it would be. If it's not 4 Rock Players against 4 Rock players, then it's often been 4 Rock versus only 3 pop players. And when you win it just feels like a hollow victory. Add to that it's locked on turf war on the same three maps, when the brilliant tower control only came out the other day. It would have been better if it was a random choice out of all of the availble maps and modes.

• Locked thread