Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was never against it so much as I thought they weren't completely necessary for certain characters. I have to admit, I don't particularly care for Joseph's because it feels like it's going to cannibalize Diskin's performance and chances to be goofy and a smart rear end, but I have all of a minute of footage and it's from the most boring parts of Battle Tendency and overall it sounds fine. I mostly think they should be used for locations that are not America or Japan or people native to those locations why I'm fine with like Polnareff and Avdol having them, especially in Polnareff's case because it would be hilarious if he had the shittiest french accent possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I wish the clip included the Joestar Technique, because only then can it be known if Diskin can truly pull off Joseph.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Okay I've read through the snail fight in Part 6 and up to the part where Jolene is in the sideways gravity and sees the weird green stand and it took a while but Part 6 has finally gone from "pretty darn good" to "loving awesome" for me.

That dub sounds real good too and I'm going to watch the heck out of it when it comes out.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

gg subs were closest who'da thunk

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Davinci posted:

Okay I've read through the snail fight in Part 6 and up to the part where Jolene is in the sideways gravity and sees the weird green stand and it took a while but Part 6 has finally gone from "pretty darn good" to "loving awesome" for me.

That dub sounds real good too and I'm going to watch the heck out of it when it comes out.

I've read a lot of shounen so I've heard some pretty dubious pseudoscience explanations for powers and stuff, but Heavy Weather takes the prize for insane batshit reasoning by a country mile.

Dub Speedwagon is really great.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

CodfishCartographer posted:

A Whole Lotta Words
So what you're telling me is...Part 7 loving rules.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Having thought on it a little, I think the Joseph voicing in the new dub is kind of off because having a posh accent doesn't suit him too well. He came from a well to do family and was always provided for, but he's been a tearaway, imprisoned and expelled several times by the time part 2 comes around. It'd suit him more to have a more working class accent, more cockney-d but not quite as broad to Danny Dyer's level. The poshness doesn't gel with him too well as a character. It does for Jonathan because he's essentially the definition of posh as a character.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
I'll reserve judgment until I hear Joseph's dub voice diss the fat ugly cops.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

JDRockefeller posted:

I'll reserve judgment until I hear Joseph's dub voice diss the fat ugly cops.

It's in here, partly.

Aurain posted:

Someone spliced together the Bluray and existing dub clips from the reveal yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lghg0-H1-CM

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Aurain posted:

Having thought on it a little, I think the Joseph voicing in the new dub is kind of off because having a posh accent doesn't suit him too well. He came from a well to do family and was always provided for, but he's been a tearaway, imprisoned and expelled several times by the time part 2 comes around. It'd suit him more to have a more working class accent, more cockney-d but not quite as broad to Danny Dyer's level. The poshness doesn't gel with him too well as a character. It does for Jonathan because he's essentially the definition of posh as a character.

I don't know where you've got the ludicrous idea that posh English boys are well behaved. The Chronicles of Narnia perhaps?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Diskin's Joseph rules.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Prison Warden posted:

I don't know where you've got the ludicrous idea that posh English boys are well behaved. The Chronicles of Narnia perhaps?

It's largely a thematic thing. He's rougher round the edges, so he should sound it. It's obvious that you can't paint everyone with the same brush, of course.

From my first hand experience, it does hold more true than not but maybe I only met the boring posh kids.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
God I hope the pillar men just talk like professional wrestlers all the time. I mean it's pretty much what they are.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

OOOOH YEAH! TIME TO GET UP, MY BROTHERS!

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

ManlyGrunting posted:

God I hope the pillar men just talk like professional wrestlers all the time. I mean it's pretty much what they are.

We will meet in 30 days, Joseph. For WRRRRESTLEMANIA!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

hoobajoo posted:

Now that I have become the perfect being....YOU CAN'T SEE ME, JOJO!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Wamuu's wind mode stealth is the literal perfect set up for that so it better happen.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Santana? He was nothing but a jobber.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

hoobajoo posted:

IT'S NOT ME JOJO. IT WASN'T ME ALL ALONG JOJO. YOU ALL BOUGHT IT. YOU ALL BOUGHT IT HOOK, LINE, AND SINKER

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I am okay with this dub.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Diskin's Joseph reminds me of MasakoX's Captain Ginyu. I'm seeing interesting abridged series possibilities opening up here.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv6V-gFGv-A

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Normie Slayer posted:

I wish the clip included the Joestar Technique, because only then can it be known if Diskin can truly pull off Joseph.

Don't you mean the Saotome Technique? Because Josphe totally stole this move from the Saotome School of Anything-Goes Martial Arts.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I'm only about halfway through steel ball run, and one minor criticism i have of the series since DIU is the staple of having a "healer" in the group. Crazy Diamond was cool, but it felt kind of ridiculous with Gold Experience/FF/The Zombie Horse and now Hot Pants. It kind of cuts down on the tension a huge amount, we don't really have those "oh poo poo he just died and thats it" moments like when Hol Horse shot Avdol. Battles basically feel as if they're without consequence to a small degree and I think the safety net of "we can just replace their liver with a rabbit turned into flesh and muscle" hurts the drama a little bit.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

minoru suzuki posted:

I'm only about halfway through steel ball run, and one minor criticism i have of the series since DIU is the staple of having a "healer" in the group. Crazy Diamond was cool, but it felt kind of ridiculous with Gold Experience/FF/The Zombie Horse and now Hot Pants. It kind of cuts down on the tension a huge amount, we don't really have those "oh poo poo he just died and thats it" moments like when Hol Horse shot Avdol. Battles basically feel as if they're without consequence to a small degree and I think the safety net of "we can just replace their liver with a rabbit turned into flesh and muscle" hurts the drama a little bit.

but then how do we get Jotaro 75% dissolved into a puddle of goo and come out of it okay?
I think tension is still there, people still can and do die. They just recover from nonfatal wounds between fights. Hell, people got horrible maiming injuries in part 3 they just sort of shrug off. Polnareff got a huge chunk of his leg bitten off by Ebony Devil, for instance.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think it's a definitely something that Araki tended to include out of habit after Part 4 but through out the manga as a whole the group got a full heal between chapters so it's sort of just like giving a character to that fact rather than just hand waving it away. I'm not sure there's a good way to do a long running adventure styled manga where injuries persist though, because if they did, then he'd have to make it so no one ever got seriously hurt.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Parts after 5 did a good job reigning in the team medic's powers by making them able to heal only as a tertiary ability. Jolyne could only sew herself back together so much, and plus stone ocean killed off their medic leaving them with just jolyne's string for the most part. Steel Ball Run had to reign it in even further so as not to create a way to magically fix Johnny's lame feet, with the healing either being reduced to surface wounds or requiring some mature body modification in the process.

Does JoJolion even have a team medic yet? Joushuu's stand could easily fill that role in the same way Sticky Fingers did, but nothing araki has done with joushuu has indicated that he'll ever actually be a helpful dude at all.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

but then how do we get Jotaro 75% dissolved into a puddle of goo and come out of it okay?
I think tension is still there, people still can and do die. They just recover from nonfatal wounds between fights. Hell, people got horrible maiming injuries in part 3 they just sort of shrug off. Polnareff got a huge chunk of his leg bitten off by Ebony Devil, for instance.

My favorite bit was Jotaro getting skewered by Anubis and being fine the next day. The Speedwagon Foundation was basically Part 3's healing stand. Ironically it's also Part 3 that leaves all major character deaths to right at the end. Well, that and Part 5, but Vento Aureo was pretty clear that Bruno was working on borrowed time at least.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Araki's never really been into the whole death by inches thing except for Dio I guess and maybe Polnareff. Characters either still have some fight in them or they're down for the count. People get messed up, for sure, but you seldom run into lingering, performance-effecting injuries. Long as we're not doing that anyway, I'm totally fine with having a designated healing stand between battles. The alternative is just Part 3 where our heroes get stabbed, beaten, cut, shot, and gutted only to be fine the next day.

I will say though that of the healing abilities on display, Jolyne and Foo Fighter's are the most boring, straightforward ones. Josuke, Giorno, and Hot Pants' all have little quirks to stave off "Just" being the healbot.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Stuffing your wounds with plankton or aerosol meat is gross, I just wanna say.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Tonio should have joined the DiU group as the healer.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I was rewatching the first opening and noticed that for a few frames the flames in Jonathan's eyes turn black:

it's also coupled with a desaturation effect but I want to believe it's Dark Determination

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, it's a nod to the determination effect that Johnny has quite often, but I think it actually appears white in Jolyne's eyes first of all.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

shhh soft and wet

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

shh soft and wet

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

shhh soft and wet

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006