Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Accretionist posted:

You should move to WA:

Current State Minimum: $9.47 (auto-adjusts annually)
Yeah well I bet unemployment in Washington is massive because companies don't want to pay employees that much

Oh, you're saying Washington has pretty much national average unemployment? Well shut up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Accretionist posted:

Anyone real familiar with Russia's post-soviet neoliberal economic reforms and how those compare to the GOP's fever dreams? I've read (hilarious) articles comparing them in the broad strokes but detailed material could be more useful (and even more hilarious).

http://www.amazon.com/Darkness-Dawn-Russian-Criminal-State/dp/0300105916

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Turns out the author did a one hour CSPAN Books talk (woo!).

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Have you ever considered any real freedoms? Freedoms from the opinion of others... even the opinions of yourself?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

Have you ever considered any real freedoms? Freedoms from the opinion of others... even the opinions of yourself?

I hope they have a beat reporter assigned to cover Biden's non-alcoholic July 4th hangover.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Looking like Greece is flipping off the Euro, by a fairly large margin, and will default on the bailout of French and German banks.

In the abstract I think this is good, but in practical terms I really doubt that the financial markets accepted the possibility the creditor's extortion would stop, and appropriately priced the risk and are in a position to handle what results. I have no foreknowledge and haven't combed through the financial sheets or models real vent here, so take my comments with a mountain of salt.

Never mind the slide we've been seeing in the Shanghai index lately.

So yeah, interesting times ahead.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 5, 2015

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I don't think you can consider the result, either way, good. However, I do think the possibility of a "Grexit" is pretty bad.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Boon posted:

I don't think you can consider the result, either way, good. However, I do think the possibility of a "Grexit" is pretty bad.

There's a whole lot of vested interest in making things as phenomenally lovely as possible for Greece so the country is going to be megafucked. The creditors will always want their money so financially that demand will stick around as long as the interested parties can force it to and politically there is a lot riding on the idea that austerity needs to be THE solution. Many powerful entities will be lining up to punish Greece in every way possible to make an example. The evening news will not spend more than thirty seconds and two or three sound clips on the entire issue so separating one from the other will be basically impossible without being a policy wonk.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The problem is that the Greeks have been living under severe austerity for what, 5 years now? It can't get much worse, which is why they elected the current government. Good on them, even if it's going to be painful. Watching a country being held hostage by banks has not been pleasant.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Boon posted:

I pretty much fall on the side of this: http://www.interfluidity.com/v2/5965.html

Debt isn't a morality play, this has been a twisted bailout that has utterly screwed the people of Greece and the larger goal of the EU in favor of a banking elite. Greece long ago made the demanded structural reforms, most of those reforms where transparent ploys to serve the elites rather than resolve the economic crisis, and the promised growth has not shown.

From an American security perspective, had Greece knuckled under, the next thing being batted about was turning to Russia to get funds to pay the demands, investments to offset the damage that the demands are inflicting to the Greek economy, and an ally against the billionaires screwing them over. I'm much happier with Merkel reluctant to increase sanctions because she lost political face than with Putin expanding his reach because Greece has been backed into a corner.

I fully acknowledge that there are going to be larger economic repercussions. My hope is that the fallout will be limited and this won't trigger a return to recession. That said, the Greek situation was clearly unsustainable and it had to come to a head at some point, the question was just one of "when".

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 5, 2015

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah, I agree with the majority of that author's points. You can't continue to punish and punish the debtors and get anywhere. It doesn't work that way. They have the least to lose. Whereas the creditors in those situations (like in the US during the financial crisis) should bear the majority of the responsibility since they pushed loans on people who couldn't afford them, but did it anyway.

It frustrates the hell out of me that Europe is still not understanding that austerity never works. This has been proven many, many times, but the elites continue to cover their ears when people tell them this and then wag their fingers at countries who would DARE to defy their austerity measures. The only people who benefit from austerity measures are the ones who would bear the lowest cost of them.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Accretionist posted:

Anyone real familiar with Russia's post-soviet neoliberal economic reforms and how those compare to the GOP's fever dreams? I've read (hilarious) articles comparing them in the broad strokes but detailed material could be more useful (and even more hilarious).

This article is worth reading to see how the US hosed up earlier in the 90s: http://www.institutionalinvestor.com/Article/1020662/How-Harvard-lost-Russia.html

But as of now corruption is encouraged, and any attempt to pierce is returned with a surprise bullet to the head.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I'm pretty sure it was Fred Anderson's "Crucible of War" since I clearly recall it was around 1000 pages.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/03757...kuwL&ref=plSrch

Excellent, thank you very much!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah, I agree with the majority of that author's points. You can't continue to punish and punish the debtors and get anywhere. It doesn't work that way. They have the least to lose. Whereas the creditors in those situations (like in the US during the financial crisis) should bear the majority of the responsibility since they pushed loans on people who couldn't afford them, but did it anyway.

It frustrates the hell out of me that Europe is still not understanding that austerity never works. This has been proven many, many times, but the elites continue to cover their ears when people tell them this and then wag their fingers at countries who would DARE to defy their austerity measures. The only people who benefit from austerity measures are the ones who would bear the lowest cost of them.

Concerning morality and economics, I just remembered this paragraph from the New Yorker's piece on the new Italian Prime Minister

quote:

Monti told me that, when he was Prime Minister and visited Barack Obama at the White House, Obama admitted to being at a loss to know “how to engage Merkel on matters of economic policy.” Obama asked his advice, and Monti replied, “For Germans, economics is still part of moral philosophy, so don’t even try to suggest that the way to help Europe grow is through public spending. In Germany, growth is the reward for virtuous economics, and the word for ‘guilt’ and ‘debt’ is the same.”

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/06/29/the-demolition-man

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
Colorado reduces teen pregnancies AND abortions by over 40% each using One Weird Trick

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/06/science/colorados-push-against-teenage-pregnancies-is-a-startling-success.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

quote:

Over the past six years, Colorado has conducted one of the largest ever real-life experiments with long-acting birth control. If teenagers and poor women were offered free intrauterine devices and implants that prevent pregnancy for years, state officials asked, would those women choose them?

They did in a big way, and the results were startling. The birthrate for teenagers across the state plunged by 40 percent from 2009 to 2013, while their rate of abortions fell by 42 percent, according to the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment. There was a similar decline in births for another group particularly vulnerable to unplanned pregnancies: unmarried women under 25 who have not finished high school.

Surely this will lead anti-abortion advocates to embrace this plan.

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

Not as long as sex outside of the holy sacrament of marriage is teh debbul.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

berzerker posted:

Colorado reduces teen pregnancies AND abortions by over 40% each using One Weird Trick

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/06/science/colorados-push-against-teenage-pregnancies-is-a-startling-success.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

I don't see how this program punishes sluts promotes the health and well being of both women and unborn children. It'll never work in the long run.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

berzerker posted:

Nah, they'll just change the definition of abortion instead!

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
This whole thing with Greece is pretty strong evidence that Germany is still evil, isn't it?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Shageletic posted:

Concerning morality and economics, I just remembered this paragraph from the New Yorker's piece on the new Italian Prime Minister

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/06/29/the-demolition-man

'Angie, remember what happened the last time Germany took a moral stance? Maybe you should abandon your hunnic morals.'

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Spatula City posted:

This whole thing with Greece is pretty strong evidence that Germany is still evil, isn't it?

My Imaginary GF posted:

'Angie, remember what happened the last time Germany took a moral stance? Maybe you should abandon your hunnic morals.'

:godwin:

You'd think Germany would have figured out by now that enraging the rest of the world never ends well for them.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Spatula City posted:

hearing the germans in the euro thread discuss it, greeks are all lazy moochers who should be ground into paste for the sins of corrupt governments past

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I kind of like the idea of this devolving into a military incursion, with the Germans fighting against Golden Dawn.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Broken Machine posted:

I kind of like the idea of this devolving into a military incursion, with the Germans fighting against Golden Dawn.

And thus the world collapsed into a singularity of irony.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Spatula City posted:

This is much more the bankers and international financiers calling the shots than any popular will of the german people, or even of the german government, so...

Klaus88 posted:

:godwin:

You'd think Germany would have figured out by now that enraging the rest of the world never ends well for them.

in popular opinion polls Germany is presently the most liked and respected country out there, so....

Broken Machine posted:

there has been a military coup and popular revolt against it in living memory in Greece, so...

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 6, 2015

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Rhesus Pieces posted:

We didn't want to inhibit government transparency, we just wanted to let lawmakers and lobbyists write and pass bills without the public breathing down our necks all the time!

To be fair, voters are pretty annoying and can get in the way of making laws.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think it best at this point for Greece to just go full communist , then make things awkward.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

:holy:

5-2 win over Japan in the World Cup finals. USA #1 baby. Most credit goes to Carli Lloyd with a world record hat trick in the first 15 minutes, including an amazing shot from midfield.

All hail the queen.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Fried Chicken posted:

5-2 win over Japan in the World Cup finals. USA #1 baby. Most credit goes to Carli Lloyd with a world record hat trick in the first 15 minutes, including an amazing shot from midfield.

All hail the queen.

Fitting that Japan gets shelled by the US on the 4th of July weekend.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fried Chicken posted:

All hail the queen.

Any other teams in recent history to have seen their opponent score goals against themselves in both the semifinal and the final matches?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

All hail the queen.

yeah, this is real political?!?!?!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

mandatory lesbian posted:

Sports is the continuation of politics by other means.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
America beating Japan in women's soccer is just like reverse Pearl Harbor because it's like....aw gently caress it it's just sports.

Too bad for Nadesico though.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

It's a direct result of Nixon signing Title IX

:patriot:

Also, Biden is at the game

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hollismason posted:

I think it best at this point for Greece to just go full communist , then make things awkward.

At this rate, without some pretty big luck and/or altruism Greece is going to need to just start over from the ground up.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I'll allow it.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

At this rate, without some pretty big luck and/or altruism Greece is going to need to just start over from the ground up.

Sovereign defaults are nothing new. We know exactly how to handle them to keep things rolling. They will have a few rough years of devaluation, cuts, and inflation, but that beats the hell out of that many years of only cuts. The only issues would be
A) Finance fuckery with derivatives based around the idea they could squeeze Greece forever exists and is about to blow up.
B) the EU and the billionaires that have been behind the last few years of pain decide to destroy Greece to punish them for not paying and to prevent left wing parties from spreading further by showing that if you leave they will destroy your economy

YMMV depending on which of those you think is probable

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

How bad off is Greece in comparison to Iceland?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

The Beard has been discussing this in blog posts sporadically now, here is the start of his recent looks at Greece . Short version is it isn't a very good comparison, not because of their relative positions, but because leaving the Euro provides different conditions than having never joined. Greece could theoretically follow their model, but the different preconditions make it questionable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

FAUXTON posted:

Iceland's unemployment is about 4%, tourism is booming, and the International Monetary Fund is predicting 4.1 percent GDP growth for 2015 as of two days ago.

As of March, Greece has a 25.6% unemployment rate (I think something like 55% for youths). Their GDP last I saw hasn't gone down any further than it already is, but it's also not growing.

• Locked thread