Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

:yikes:

I can't wait until the next US Splatfest is Team Black vs Team White :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caerulius
Jun 23, 2007

This was a waste of $5.
Surely a less historically fraught and divisive issue than cat vs dog.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Balcony posted:

Splatfest is not as enjoyable as I thought it would be. If it's not 4 Rock Players against 4 Rock players, then it's often been 4 Rock versus only 3 pop players. And when you win it just feels like a hollow victory. Add to that it's locked on turf war on the same three maps, when the brilliant tower control only came out the other day. It would have been better if it was a random choice out of all of the availble maps and modes.
Should have picked Pop!! (I agree with your points though)

I really, really hope the August Update has a major shake-up of the playlist system. It needs major work.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Get hosed cats

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I have to assume that Team Pop are even more hosed than Team Cats, cmoooooooooon 75% win ratio

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Get hosed whites

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Balcony posted:

Splatfest is not as enjoyable as I thought it would be. If it's not 4 Rock Players against 4 Rock players, then it's often been 4 Rock versus only 3 pop players. And when you win it just feels like a hollow victory. Add to that it's locked on turf war on the same three maps, when the brilliant tower control only came out the other day. It would have been better if it was a random choice out of all of the availble maps and modes.

I've had pretty consistent full-Pop teams to teach the error of their musical choices. That said I have run into two and three-man Pop teams a few times as well as the odd Rock-vs-Rock match.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

zolthorg posted:

They LITERALLY stated "WE WILL ONLY COUNT MATCHES BETWEEN CATS AND DOGS"

A Full cat team does mediocre, and somehow scores 199 points each x 4 people and wins against a team of dogs who extort the spacetime continuum and all earn 401 points but lose
4 cats are rewarded 3 points each, 4 dogs are rewarded 2 points each, total slimmest point margin difference POSSIBLE: 12 points to team cat, 8 points to team dog.

They actually loving counted dog vs dog matches

Lol

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

codenameFANGIO posted:

zolthorg I know you represent Team Cat but you need to stop being such a pussy.

This post didn't get enough love

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

zolthorg posted:

Unless you're using an aerospray or playing ranked battle, a good turfwar player hits like 1300 points on a win, if you round that off to 1500 points then a sea snail is worth 20 wins to a player of that calibur. I lost 120 wins worth of gold due to garbage vote tallying which is 6 hours of more grinding in my life. To be specific, 6 hours of consecutive turf war wins and I have to switch from weapons I like to playing the dumb Aerospray; otherwise it will take me even longer.

Good Job Dogs~!!

The abilities barely do anything in the first place but if you are this salty about '6 hours of more grinding', why did you take 6 minutes before voting to learn how victory is decided and then pick the side thar was quarenteed to win?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Next time they need 3-4 splatfest team options.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Well I'm sad my team lost but I'll see you guys again on the fields of battle for Halloween vs Winter Holidays.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Splatfest would have been more fun if it wasn't turf wars.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

zolthorg posted:

Unless you're using an aerospray or playing ranked battle, a good turfwar player hits like 1300 points on a win, if you round that off to 1500 points then a sea snail is worth 20 wins to a player of that calibur. I lost 120 wins worth of gold due to garbage vote tallying which is 6 hours of more grinding in my life. To be specific, 6 hours of consecutive turf war wins and I have to switch from weapons I like to playing the dumb Aerospray; otherwise it will take me even longer.

Good Job Dogs~!!

Why is the goal "get more sea snails always more sea snails?" Is there a certain number of sea snails you need before your gear is good enough and then you finally are allowed to start having fun playing this video game???

Congrats to team cat for a genuinely impressive showing considering how out numbered you were!

I'm proud to have been a small part of Team Dog's glorious victory.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Shut down a full team of Pop-lovers on Urchin Underpass all the way back to their spawn. Held them there for the full final minute too before one finally got past me. One of my teammates put him down for his impertinence :smuggo:.

Dizz posted:

Turf Wars is simple and open to everyone regardless of skill level (mostly). Tower and Splat Zones both need a much higher degree of coordination.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The Spirit of Splatfest is more than just winning. Splatoon is a game that is touted to allow everyone to contribute and have fun, regardless of skill. The Holy Gods of Splatfest who cast Judgement on the festivities saw the honorable spirit of Team Dog, and compared it to the cold and calculating machinations of Team Cat. It wasn't numbers, or win% that won it for Team Dog. It was their righteousness and goodness that was the deciding factor.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Dizz posted:

I disagree, it gave me an excuse to play Turf Wars.

Also I personally hate Tower mode but I think that's because I haven't really figured out how to be useful as a roller on it. Just killing the enemy isn't quite good enough when my team tries to "help" me and ends up letting one fucker take the tower all the way to our goddamn base :argh:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Poultron posted:

Also I personally hate Tower mode but I think that's because I haven't really figured out how to be useful as a roller on it. Just killing the enemy isn't quite good enough when my team tries to "help" me and ends up letting one fucker take the tower all the way to our goddamn base :argh:

Get on the tower and flap it about like a shotgun to deter peasants climbing atop your majestic jingling throne.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Poultron posted:

Dynamo roller is really good on Tower but if you're in the obvious path of the tower you'll probably get shot before your horrible wall of death gets launched. Splat roller and carbon roller can also work but they're best for just aggressively clearing enemies while they're focused on the tower, as far as I can tell. Take default splat roller for the suction bombs and killer wail, over the Krak-on.

Inkbrush, who loving knows if that's viable.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
team dog

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

My one true Splatfest disappointment is that you can not glitch thorough the plaza wall during it.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Get on the tower and flap it about like a shotgun to deter peasants climbing atop your majestic jingling throne.

This doesn't quite work unfortunately, there are too many angles of attack.

Count Uvula posted:

Dynamo roller is really good on Tower but if you're in the obvious path of the tower you'll probably get shot before your horrible wall of death gets launched. Splat roller and carbon roller can also work but they're best for just aggressively clearing enemies while they're focused on the tower, as far as I can tell. Take default splat roller for the suction bombs and killer wail, over the Krak-on.

Inkbrush, who loving knows if that's viable.

I actually tried out the Dynamo a little bit and had slightly better success, but it's like you said, you basically just get shot before you do anything. It's too open for a Dynamo, which really needs hallways to shine.

I think I just need to embrace the Carbon roller on Towers and really just poo poo on the back line.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
If I'd have wanted to be the Winner, I'd have gone Team Rock over Pop since clearly most people would go with Rock, but I play Splatoon for a cool fun time, so I chose the side that represents cool and fun for me, and the poppy fun music in game made my choice clear.

So I won't get so many stat reroll snails when the contest ends at 6pm, big deal.

Judge Tesla fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jul 5, 2015

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

zolthorg posted:

They LITERALLY stated "WE WILL ONLY COUNT MATCHES BETWEEN CATS AND DOGS"

A Full cat team does mediocre, and somehow scores 199 points each x 4 people and wins against a team of dogs who extort the spacetime continuum and all earn 401 points but lose
4 cats are rewarded 3 points each, 4 dogs are rewarded 2 points each, total slimmest point margin difference POSSIBLE: 12 points to team cat, 8 points to team dog.

They actually loving counted dog vs dog matches

Are you ok

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Splatfest has been cool and awesome and no matter how it turns out I will have had fun!!!

edit: except for when the friends I have here don't use common sense and run straight into enemy rollers or spend >5 seconds trudging around in enemy ink. Ruddy hell

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 5, 2015

Electromax
May 6, 2007
This game is so chill compared to a Call of Duty community. I don't understand what elements of Splatoon drive someone to smash their gamepad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8qEaHu-k30

I guess I don't mind losing 20 matches in a row in Street Fighter, but nothing about this game seems that irritating to me...

As an aside, I somehow didn't realize until today that this game had a single-player component, I just beat the second boss and it's mildly better than I expected. I wish some of these elements like the sponges had found their way into the MP maps somehow.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Electromax posted:

This game is so chill compared to a Call of Duty community. I don't understand what elements of Splatoon drive someone to smash their gamepad:

I guess I don't mind losing 20 matches in a row in Street Fighter, but nothing about this game seems that irritating to me...

As an aside, I somehow didn't realize until today that this game had a single-player component, I just beat the second boss and it's mildly better than I expected. I wish some of these elements like the sponges had found their way into the MP maps somehow.

jesus what a dork. the games are so fast that I cant see being mad at it ever. the number of blowouts I have isnt that much and even when I don't win the close calls are usually like 45 to 42 or some poo poo.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

hurrrrrr im a dog

*pisses on everything*

*is trash at video games*

*still wins somehow*

:catstare:

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Actually you know, I think it would work better if instead of a final tally dictating rewards it was a set addition bonus. If your side won popularity you get +3 snails or whatever. If you won the battle half you get +5. Sweeps would still get you way more but I feel it would be impossible to get really frustrated if it didn't feel like winning the actual game part didn't matter.

This is actually a good idea. The reward difference is small enough that it honestly doesn't matter that much, doing it this way would reduce the feel-bad (in the game design sense) scenario of 'there was no way we could win'.

Anime Curator posted:

i will not be clicking that link

It's a research article about young children and resource allocation, not more examples of jerks on the internet.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
and ranked is back to 8 japanese players to 2 non

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just had a game where I was the only 20 on a team with two 2s and a 4 against two 19s and two 20s. Now I'm in a team with a 2 and two 1s against FOUR 20s oh god kill me

brb gonna be destroyed

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Wait... so the winner was not decided based on win percentages, but some weird hybrid that included team size into consideration?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Astro7x posted:

Wait... so the winner was not decided based on win percentages, but some weird hybrid that included team size into consideration?

lol

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015
I suppose when matched against the vastly greater numbers of Team Dog, Team Cat was truly a noble but Lost Cause. (gif of a cat crying in front of a Confederate flag that I'm too lazy to make or find)

Good game, see you all in a few weekends for Team Spartans vs. Team Elites or whatever.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well that game was loving horrid but then the one afterwards got me to Eternal Rock Boy so that's pretty nice

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Randumb Thots posted:

(gif of a cat crying in front of a Confederate flag that I'm too lazy to make or find)

Thank Christ

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

at first I was miffed that the win came down to popularity rather than wins but then I read zolthorg's posts and I'm not even upset anymore

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
A Kraken swam past me and two other team mates with seemingly no effect, giving us all time to turn and look in confusion before we lag-splatted in sequence :allears:. I laughed far too hard and wish I could've recorded that moment.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Astro7x posted:

1/3 of the points is popularity 2/3 of the points is win percentage. The dogs lost by games by 2ish% but were the overwhelming favorite so it didn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Electromax posted:

Almost Reflexive. I occasionally get annoyed when my team seemingly plays badly, only to immediately remember Its just a game, and I'm likely playing alongside literal children. Nothing even close to gamepad smashing though.

• Locked thread