Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Guys guys c'mon guys guys.

Guys.

Srsly, guys.

Why can't I be represented as a vampire/werewolf hybrid otherkin in video games? I can't enjoy a game unless the main character's soul is also a five thousand year old Mesopotamian god-king furry. Who became a vampire. Fallout 3 let me be a vampire, and New Vegas let me wear a fox head for a hat. They were both so close. Why can't I have that in Fallout 4? Don't I deserve representation too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Valatar posted:

Guys.

Srsly, guys.

Why can't I be represented as a vampire/werewolf hybrid otherkin in video games? I can't enjoy a game unless the main character's soul is also a five thousand year old Mesopotamian god-king furry. Who became a vampire. Fallout 3 let me be a vampire, and New Vegas let me wear a fox head for a hat. They were both so close. Why can't I have that in Fallout 4? Don't I deserve representation too?

You can wear a woman's dress as a man :shrug:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Psychotic Weasel posted:

But that also got me thinking, what if you didn't run to the Vault and get lowered to safety with your dead family? What if, instead, while you were busy running around collecting your kid you tripped and landed in the refrigerator you left wide open like a dick earlier that morning. You were then knocked out and frozen solid until the fridge's power source failed two centuries later. At some point during that time though an expedition sent out to look at conditions above came across you and dragged your sorry frozen rear end back for examination. I think Bethesda should go with that story.

A fridge is not the same as a freezer. Otherwise flawless plot hook, 9/10

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Valatar posted:

Guys.

Srsly, guys.

On the other hand you're equating vampire/werewolf hybrid otherkin to being gay which is kind of retarded.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It *is* pretty stupid.

Everyone knows vampire/werewolf hybrid otherkin are bisexual.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Man Whore posted:

I can't think of any company where the fans hate it as much as Bethesda fans hate bethesda. Maybe Bioware?

Starbound, obviously.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Moridin920 posted:

On the other hand you're equating vampire/werewolf hybrid otherkin to being gay which is kind of retarded.
I'm not, except in the sense that it's a thing that will have no bearing on the actual gameplay and exists solely as a character detail in the prologue. It's the same song as the various tools who wouldn't play Portal because they were 'forced' to be a woman in it. Hnnnnng, their IMMERSIONNNNN. Some stories might have a protagonist with <adjective> in common with the player. Others won't. Judging the quality of something based solely on the existence of lack of <adjective> is flatly stupid unless that thing is pivotal to the game.

If Fallout was a story about exploring one's sexuality in a desperate humanity fighting for survival and there was no option to be anything but straight, then I'd call the protagonist's orientation a bad oversight because the game's theme would be flawed without the other options. It's not about that, though. It's about shooting raiders in the face with a BB gun that makes their eyes explode. Whether Robodad or Mombot is gay, straight, bi, null, or furry is not going to change shooting raiders even a little bit. Unless you take the associated perk, I guess, because ironically Fallout has more gameplay mechanics influenced by sexual orientation than pretty much any other game out there.

BRB, going to change.org to start a petition for nonsexual and furry perks in Fallout 4.

If the reverse was true, and Fallout 4 started off the protagonist in a committed gay relationship, I would say the exact same thing to the imbeciles that crawled out of the woodwork to complain that they couldn't play a game that 'forced them to be gay'. Then I would proceed to still buy it and play it.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

You can't even make a gay character in New Vegas. Its only after talking about local politics and killing bloatflies and geckos do you "level up" and it becomes available.
Thanks Ob$idian.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

This is interesting, how exactly is Bethesda planning on policing the modding community? Does this mean that there is going to be some kind of integrated modding system that would prevent unofficial mods from being used?

This seems to me to confirm that Beth is planning on selling mods. Why else would they care about their content and be creating tools to police the modding community.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Boogaleeboo posted:

That's because gay people are loving boring.

frajaq posted:

Go play Guild Wars 2

Anita Dickinme posted:

Hahahaha

I can't believe this isn't irony.

K8.0 posted:

Guys how can it be that there are pieces of media that don't cater to my <2% minority sexual preferences?

Sex in games is a terrible concept in general. Specializing it is an even worse concept. If you don't believe me, consider that foot fetishism is one of the most common fetishes. Do you want games to start including high detail feet and describing your partner's odors? I don't loving think so.

Valatar posted:

Guys.

Srsly, guys.

What the hell is wrong with you people

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

cargohills posted:

:agreed:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I want games to start including high detail feet and describing my partner's odors.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

This must be how the people who actually care about Starbound feel. I regret my words and deeds. :(

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Rutibex posted:

This is interesting, how exactly is Bethesda planning on policing the modding community? Does this mean that there is going to be some kind of integrated modding system that would prevent unofficial mods from being used?

This seems to me to confirm that Beth is planning on selling mods. Why else would they care about their content and be creating tools to police the modding community.

That's the opposite of what that article is saying. You just won't be able to get mods that are illegal or infringe copyright through their official sources (Steam Workshop on PC, Bethesda.net on console).

They have to care about the content on consoles, because it's available through their official channels and they can be held liable for infringement. On PC you can download whatever you want as always.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Delsaber posted:

I don't fault you for being concerned about representation, but you should probably have higher standards regarding the quality of that representation than just "wet fart." Games writing in general is still pretty bad compared to most other mediums and Bethesda is definitely no exception. The best you could probably hope to see from them on this issue would be a walking stereotype or an empty husk or some ham-handed allegory, none of which really does any good. You may as well just use your imagination at that point.

There are probably gay characters in Adam Sandler movies or whatever. If their mere existence is good enough for you, hey, different strokes I guess, but there's better movies for that and there's already games out there which handle this better than Fallout.

To be fair, heterosexual protagonists often have wet fart representation too, as in the writing for them is godawful. So having godawful homosexual characters would be a step in the right direction because they'll at least be there. Because, let's be honest, if we wait for perfect representation of anything in any medium ever we would never get it. It's like saying "a badass female protagonist? that's not perfect representation of women, that's just a trope of a stoic killer but it's a woman. just let it go and expect better representation of the female sex."

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
All video game characters should be asexual

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Have you ever thought about the fact that an alternate-50s style world that borrows heavily from that period might also reflect that periods stereotypical idea of you Joe Average adult?
Afaik the stereotype in the 50s was to marry, have kids and be a good American citizen.
The entire vault ads are based around this "Take your family to safety" etc.
There is a reason why you are Nondescript Male Family Man instead of Gaybeard the Wasteland Butt-Pirate as main protagonist. It simply fits the entire theme better.

Just relax and take it for what it is. A rough sketch of a background story to introduce you to a world.
Alternatively, don't play the game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Mombot's your beard

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
The weapon crafting system displayed in the gameplay video got me real hyped at first, but after seeing it a few times, it just seems to be a cumbersome way to make guns you would find in the wasteland anyways. It basically boils down to "sniper, semi automatic, LMG and shotgun" I was hoping for a more intuitive crafting system where I can make a horrible bug spray cannon that shoots radioactive ooze at people, with a chainsaw bayonet. :sigh:

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 5, 2015

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

For those complaining about role playing as your favorite fetish or whatever, do you get mad when fictional characters in books you read don't fit what you want them to be too?

I'm mad Scout didn't turn out to be a goth tranny

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
TBF it would've made the book alot better if she was

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Jimbot posted:

To be fair, heterosexual protagonists often have wet fart representation too, as in the writing for them is godawful. So having godawful homosexual characters would be a step in the right direction because they'll at least be there. Because, let's be honest, if we wait for perfect representation of anything in any medium ever we would never get it. It's like saying "a badass female protagonist? that's not perfect representation of women, that's just a trope of a stoic killer but it's a woman. just let it go and expect better representation of the female sex."
no they must be perfect, like my mass effect fanfiction

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

ps loving all the unironic equating a character option saying "im gay" with tumblr fetishism in this thread :thumbsup:

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

ps loving all the unironic equating a character option saying "im gay" with tumblr fetishism in this thread :thumbsup:

I just want to roleplay a goon!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

sout posted:

I just want to roleplay a goon!
why would you want to roleplay as yourself can't you realize that videogames are escapism and thus the blank slate protagonist is something you should be bowing to
:goonsay:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

cargohills posted:

What? Guild Wars 2 is a good game!

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Plot twist- the main character is gay, but Bethesda are so bad at writing characters they seem to be straight.

Gentwise
Sep 12, 2003
Gentwise Bankfourthe, Esquire.

Man Whore posted:

I can't think of any company where the fans hate it as much as Bethesda fans hate bethesda. Maybe Bioware?

Ever heard of a little company called Blizzard?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Azhais posted:

All video game characters should be asexual

this guy gets it.

it isn't like there aren't enormous online communities dedicated to exploring what it would be like if princess peach grew a dick and cornholed a goomba or whatever, if you absolutely need to know that kind of thing about a video game character.

personally i blame custer's revenge for starting video games down the path towards horribly erotic in-game content

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I don't know why some people are certain that confirmed bachelor will be in, that was an Obsidian thing, not a Bethesda thing.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
im gonna kill all heterosexuals

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

homerlaw posted:

im gonna kill all heterosexuals
Too bad they're all flagged as Essential.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You can try to kill me, but I'll just lie on the floor unconscious for the duration of the fight. This is my strategy in real life as well.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

It's honestly really uncomfortable and sort of pathetic to see a bunch of y'all ganging up on a queer person for wanting to be able to play a queer character in an open-world create-your-own-character RPG.

Comparing a desire for queer or Black representation to wanting to be able to be a furry or an otherkin or whatever is also pretty loving gross and I see Gamer types do it all the time; there are things people fundamentally are and there are additional little subcultural things. It's totally reasonable to want to have the former available in a game where you play as a character you design and name. This is honestly another big problem with John Fallout, Soldier, Father, that even the most predefined FO game (probably FO2? or FO3) didn't have

edit: and Jesus Christ, don't use the word "tranny" you colossal assholes

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

marktheando posted:

I don't know why some people are certain that confirmed bachelor will be in, that was an Obsidian thing, not a Bethesda thing.

Yeah it won't be. But the prostitutes will lie down in bed next to either gender!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

homeless poster posted:

this guy gets it.

it isn't like there aren't enormous online communities dedicated to exploring what it would be like if princess peach grew a dick and cornholed a goomba or whatever, if you absolutely need to know that kind of thing about a video game character.

personally i blame custer's revenge for starting video games down the path towards horribly erotic in-game content

Games are mostly "asexual" in the sense that they don't reference sexuality explicitly but still conform to gender norms.

After all, Mario isn't rescuing a prince.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I want to join monster brew crew because they wouldnt talk about this stupid poo poo.

We got a post apocalyptic world full of robots, mutants, and sweet rear end guns and all goons can talk about is whether you can be gay. What about becoming a ghoul or supermutant!? What about dressing up as an astronaut with a gun that fires globs of plasma that turn people into piles of goo!?

Gay or Straight? Im the guy with the Fat-man.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Hopper posted:

Have you ever thought about the fact that an alternate-50s style world that borrows heavily from that period might also reflect that periods stereotypical idea of you Joe Average adult?
Afaik the stereotype in the 50s was to marry, have kids and be a good American citizen.
The entire vault ads are based around this "Take your family to safety" etc.
There is a reason why you are Nondescript Male Family Man instead of Gaybeard the Wasteland Butt-Pirate as main protagonist. It simply fits the entire theme better.

Just relax and take it for what it is. A rough sketch of a background story to introduce you to a world.
Alternatively, don't play the game.

This guy right here gets it. This game is different to the others because your character is a pre-war person transported to the post-war world. That means you're an average person with a wife/husband and a kid because that was what was expected of you. After you get out of the vault you can decide to become whatever the gently caress you want (though I'm sure finding your family will be a large plot point). It'll be five or ten minutes at the start of the game where you play all happy family before you get to go rampaging around in a giant powersuit with a dog.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
As a gay: Mr Tastee is an autistic welfare queen attention seeker.

But if he wants the right of being able to RP as a gay man, which I dunno why he can't other than the fact that he literally hates heterosexuality, I want to RP as a 50's woman who isn't as open-minded as people are today because that's how the 50's were. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Your quest is to find a husband, then when you find one the rest of the game takes place in your house, and your quests are "wash the floor" "cook food" etc.

• Locked thread