Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

imo instead of 'opening up' ff13 just should have significantly shortened itself. i think it'd be much cooler as a zippy 10-15 hour game

of course the world would have shat itself at the prospect of a jrpg that doesn't desperately stall for time to stretch a basic adventure plot over an 80 hour runtime

It's still doing fine after The Last Story :shrug:. Besides, a better way to make FFXIII good would've been to not make the cutscenes first and then fudge together a game linking them all together :v:.

Chas McGill posted:

I realise I'm about 5 years late on this question, but...does Final Fantasy 13 ever become cool and good?

Sorry :ohdear:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

For a moment I thought you said The Last Remnant and was wondering what the hell.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Overminty posted:

For a moment I thought you said The Last Remnant and was wondering what the hell.

Well you should've read it very carefully; I posted it only once.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Besides, a better way to make FFXIII good would've been to not make the cutscenes first and then fudge together a game linking them all together :v:.
this is also true

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
don't loving buy ff13

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

corn in the bible posted:

don't loving buy ff13

This is bad advice. Do not listen to it.

The first one does stay linear for a while, but as mentioned, it opens up a lot in chapter 11. For the next two, they completely overcompensated in response to the criticism and made them very non-linear.

13-1 starts off kind of slow in general, because for some reason they decided to hold back "trivial" things like "a full party" or "leveling your characters more". As the chapters progress, everything about the game gets a lot better, though - character progression opens up more, the battles get better, the plot gets more insane, and the world opens up.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dr. Eldarion posted:

The first one does stay linear for a while, but as mentioned, it opens up a lot in chapter 11. For the next two, they completely overcompensated in response to the criticism and made them very non-linear.

13-1 starts off kind of slow in general, because for some reason they decided to hold back "trivial" things like "a full party" or "leveling your characters more". As the chapters progress, everything about the game gets a lot better, though - character progression opens up more, the battles get better, the plot gets more insane, and the world opens up.

It takes like 15-20 hours for the game to become enjoyable though. That is far too long.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Tae posted:

Engineers are useless and have been for the entire franchise.
Clearly the solution to their mediocrity in VC1 was to take away half of their abilities and give them worse guns. :downs:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Andrast posted:

It takes like 15-20 hours for the game to become enjoyable though. That is far too long.

Hell it takes something like 3-4 hours just to be able to level up.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The FF13 franchise is like some kind of sensory deprivation experiment where they start by taking away all the things you expect and demand from an RPG and slowly parcel them back out to you bit by bit and at the end they've somehow convinced you that Lightning Returns is good. And you know what? They're right.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The open part of FF13 is actually worse than the linear part but its mercifully short and you go right back into linear again

e: the linear part is bad too

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 5, 2015

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

FF13 owns because its basically 10 without the guise of being 'open.' Nothing but corridors and no reason to backtrack except for monster arena nonsense. Which only happens after you're 15+ hours in and the game 'opens' up and gives you the few sidequests at the Calm Lands.

Maybe they should've put in a Blitz Ball clone. That would have gotten everyone to sing it praise.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FFX gets a lot of praise because it was a good Final Fantasy game. The main advantage it has over FFXIII is that the world it creates is imaginative while also not being totally incoherent. Last I checked they're the two most financially successful FF games besides VII and the MMOs, so they're both very well-liked.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The difference between 10 and 13 is that 10 actually lets you use the combat system properly before being 20 hours in.

Edit: Which is a shame since the combat system in 13 is really good.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 5, 2015

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm giving it a chance.

What the gently caress is up with Vanille's voice.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Chas McGill posted:

I'm giving it a chance.

She was told to mimic the japanese VA's

Square was really bad at localizing

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

I'm giving it a chance.

She is an Australian actress with bad voice direction.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Tae posted:

She was told to mimic the japanese VA's

Square was really bad at localizing

When FFX came out I think Square didn't want to shell out for reworking lip synch for the English cast, which is why all the characters speak in that offbeat ...Itjustisn'tfairyouknow tempo to match the Japanese dub.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

exquisite tea posted:

FFX gets a lot of praise because it was a good Final Fantasy game. The main advantage it has over FFXIII is that the world it creates is imaginative while also not being totally incoherent. Last I checked they're the two most financially successful FF games besides VII and the MMOs, so they're both very well-liked.

You should check again then, since the best-selling Final Fantasy after VII is The Sequel To Final Fantasy VII.

What's scary about XIV is that it's actually approaching the middle tier games like IX and XII in box sales alone. I don't think it has generated more revenue than XI yet but it is only a matter of time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

When FFX came out I think Square didn't want to shell out for reworking lip synch for the English cast, which is why all the characters speak in that offbeat ...Itjustisn'tfairyouknow tempo to match the Japanese dub.

It was also their first actual effort at voice acting wasn't it?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I never got used to Vanille's ridiculous loving run cycle

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I bought a PS2 primarily on the allure of FFX with its "oh man, voice acting in a Final Fantasy!" and MGS2. It was definitely considered a big deal at the time. I did wind up hating it by the end though and have never really been able to get back into the FF franchise since, though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It was also their first actual effort at voice acting wasn't it?

Yes, I remember that being a huge selling point. The voice acting in games of that era was pretty rough overall.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Vanille is actually a really cool character compared to Hope.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chas McGill posted:

Vanille is actually a really cool character compared to Hope.

Lightning's not exactly high on the list, considering she's supposed to be a Cop and still handed Hope a goddamn knife while he was openly rambling about how he was going to murder someone. That is not how you de-escalate a situation.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

corn in the bible posted:

don't loving buy ff13

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Ff13 is fine for 6 bucks. The bigger issue is that it's 50 gigs for a dumb reason.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Poorly compressed video probably

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I think it has both JP and English cutscenes attached to it.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Also because the download includes Japanese audio, which also means double the FMV because lipsyncing!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Nope, it's because they have two copies of every cutscene because of different language flaps.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Dr. Eldarion posted:

20 hours is Too loving Long for a tutorial. 5 hours is pushing it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Tae posted:

Ff13 is fine for 6 bucks. The bigger issue is that it's 50 gigs for a dumb reason.

You can cut it down by deleting several files, mostly associated with whatever language you're not using. I think my install is like 29GB which is still pretty big but more reasonable than 50.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tae posted:

Nope, it's because they have two copies of every cutscene because of different language flaps.

Shame that it's not a download option since it would instantly fix that problem.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Dr. Eldarion posted:

13-1 starts off kind of slow in general, because for some reason they decided to hold back "trivial" things like "a full party" or "leveling your characters more".

If they didn't have the hard limit on levels in 13, you wouldn't have the pretty tightly designed boss battles that you do have. In fact, we saw what happened when you do this with 13-2, a game that you can sleep-walk through with zero effort by doing any of the side content.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

or just skip both of the mediocre games and play lightning returns

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Forest Thief Pud posted:

If they didn't have the hard limit on levels in 13, you wouldn't have the pretty tightly designed boss battles that you do have. In fact, we saw what happened when you do this with 13-2, a game that you can sleep-walk through with zero effort by doing any of the side content.

That's not a good reason to not let the players actually use the combat system properly.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Andrast posted:

That's not a good reason to not let the players actually use the combat system properly.

Except you totally are. Nothing in the game limits you from having access to ATB Cancels once you get past the two prologue chapters, which is one of the keys to winning hard in that battle system. Nothing really limits you from using the Stagger Gauge to it's fullest outside of the two prologue chapters, which is another one of the keys to winning hard.

All the hard limit on leveling does(which you should only be reaching in the first few chapters upon unlocking the crystarium unless you actively grind) is not give you skills/stats that you don't need/would be overkill. All reaching Chapter 10 does is allow you to level up the garbage roles for each character (and waste all your points doing so) and allow you to form the sub-optimal team of Sazh/Snow/whoever or the optimal team of Lightning/Fang/Hope or Vanille.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I wish I could play Minstrel Song on a modern system at this point. I think emulation is my only choice unless I am missing something. It looks like only Japan got that PSN PS2 re-release but I can't really stand playing PSX/PS2 games on a PS3 with an HDTV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Dr. Eldarion posted:

all the coupons in the world can't get me back the time i wasted on final fantasy thirteen