Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
400 hours in and I only JUST unlocked the Warbow, which is pretty sweet, I'll admit. Still need 30 kills for the 3rd crossbow, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I think this game gets more frustrating when you start getting decent. Knowing that I should know better than to chase after a spinner rear end in a top hat is way more frustrating then when I would get murdered regardless because lol newbie.

Nothing feels better then a successful feint--instant overhead though.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Archers are not such a bad class to melee with, I do it all the time, often with fairly good results. The biggest downside is that there's no room for error because you're so fragile. Even against complete newbies you can't get too self-assured. One hit from a heavy and you're probably out. I think that's why I'm one of the very few people with this playstyle, even though archers are otherwise a fast and fun class to melee with.

Famethrowa posted:

I think this game gets more frustrating when you start getting decent. Knowing that I should know better than to chase after a spinner rear end in a top hat is way more frustrating then when I would get murdered regardless because lol newbie.

A lot of this game is about learning how to behave in certain situations and then actually doing it. Controlling the urge to chase a dancing vanguard is a good example.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

A lot of this game is about learning how to behave in certain situations and then actually doing it. Controlling the urge to chase a dancing vanguard is a good example.

Transfering things like "attack while the spinner is whiffing wildly" or "lmb feint, overhead feint, alt swing" from my game knowledge to muscle memory is the hardest thing. Amazing that I have 80 hours in and still feel so medicore.

Almost wish I could watch the mouse movements of a pro player because how the gently caress are they spinning and blocking without losing control of their view or mouse.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Do people actually cheat in this game. I jumped down behind a dude surrounded by combat and he instantly 180d and swung at me.

Or do i just play on old man mouse sensitivity?

Also, i would say that the worst melee class is Heavy Knight. I get less kills with them and die more often than an archer with a dagger.
Attacks are so slow anyone can just interrupt you constantly or parry your dumb attack. Or just run around you.

Hell, i feinted and instantly attacked afterwards and my opponent had enough time to parry twice.

Kreittis
Jan 7, 2010

Foxhound? Houndfox.

Phlegmish posted:

Archers are not such a bad class to melee with, I do it all the time, often with fairly good results. The biggest downside is that there's no room for error because you're so fragile. Even against complete newbies you can't get too self-assured. One hit from a heavy and you're probably out. I think that's why I'm one of the very few people with this playstyle, even though archers are otherwise a fast and fun class to melee with.
Everyone else with your 'playstyle' (aka melee archer) just plays MAA instead. More armor, more speed, same melee weapon + great primaries and dodge and arguably superior voice commands depending on the team.

I used to play melee archer for challenge before TBS introduced limits to official servers. Now I would just feel bad taking archer spot and not actually archering.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Nasgate posted:

Do people actually cheat in this game. I jumped down behind a dude surrounded by combat and he instantly 180d and swung at me.

Or do i just play on old man mouse sensitivity?

Also, i would say that the worst melee class is Heavy Knight. I get less kills with them and die more often than an archer with a dagger.
Attacks are so slow anyone can just interrupt you constantly or parry your dumb attack. Or just run around you.

Hell, i feinted and instantly attacked afterwards and my opponent had enough time to parry twice.

Nope. He might have had 3rd person on, was a spinner and you got in the way of his twirly swing, or he noticed you coming and predicted when you'd be there. I've done it before.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah, spinners are all in 3rd person instead of 1st. I like 1st.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Nasgate posted:

One thing that helped me with my feinting and landing attacks after feinting is to feint a different attack.

Feint poke > overhead

Feint overhead > poke > overhead

Also the timing is critical. Feinting during a combo is the best.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah, spinners are all in 3rd person instead of 1st. I like 1st.

there are people who join a FFA server, pick zweihander, and go in 3rd person and sprint and spin for like 2 hours straight. when you learn to anticipate what they will do, you can kill them pretty much 99% of the time (though it's still annoying since they keep running away) and they never learn.

it's basically why i only play deadliest warrior now

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kreittis posted:

Everyone else with your 'playstyle' (aka melee archer) just plays MAA instead. More armor, more speed, same melee weapon + great primaries and dodge and arguably superior voice commands depending on the team.

I used to play melee archer for challenge before TBS introduced limits to official servers. Now I would just feel bad taking archer spot and not actually archering.

MAA can be fun, but for some reason I always keep coming back to archer. Maybe it's the versatility. You can take out pesky enemy archers in between legitimate fighting.

I don't feel bad for hogging an archer spot, most people who play archer spend the game ineffectively sniping from hundreds of meters away, enough to be annoying but not actually contributing much. You're not learning or improving if you're playing this game as just another FPS. Jump into the fray.

e: yeah the Agatha archer sounds whiny as hell.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Agatha archer's whininess is like half his draw guys geez

I switch to MAA occasionally but I really like archer for being able to force engagements. Oh you're just gonna hang back and try to lure me in huh? Well then I'll just draw my bow again.

MAA's armour seems to make no practical difference anyway, speed differences are meaningless with chase mechanics, and I seldom find myself using dodge. Also people tend to underestimate archers which is always great fun (the flipside is everyone always tries to strike you first for the easy kill when you go into a melee which is not such great fun).

Koramei fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 1, 2015

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
So Sandcastle horde mode is pretty cool. It definitely has a steep learning curve, as a lot of the mechanics aren't exactly explained to you, but most of the people are happy to help. Still die a lot but I"m starting to get the hang of it. It's a welcome alternative to banging my head against the wall when I try to solo multiplayer mode.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Inside Out Mom posted:

So Sandcastle horde mode is pretty cool. It definitely has a steep learning curve, as a lot of the mechanics aren't exactly explained to you, but most of the people are happy to help. Still die a lot but I"m starting to get the hang of it. It's a welcome alternative to banging my head against the wall when I try to solo multiplayer mode.

My sandcastle server has augmented point awards for kills. Basically a fun mode version of the sandcastle mod.

Horde Sandcastle USA

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

Blimpkin posted:

My sandcastle server has augmented point awards for kills. Basically a fun mode version of the sandcastle mod.

Horde Sandcastle USA

Spent all day playing Sandcastle. Goddamn this mode owns.

Kreittis
Jan 7, 2010

Foxhound? Houndfox.

Vanguard model update.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
So Blimpkin and I did some work today and well, if you want to have you guy yell something when you do an attack, we found a way.

First Download this app: http://www.autohotkey.com/
Install and whatever.

Next make a document on your desktop or somewhere easily accessable and name it whateverthefuckyouwan.ahk

Paste this here text into that there document:

RButton::Send {RButton}{x}{9}
Lbutton::Send {LButton}{x}{3}
WheelDown::Send {WheelDown}{x}{7}
WheelUp::Send {WheelUp}{z}{5}
XButton1::Send {XButton1}{z}{2}
XButton2::Send {XButton2}{x}{6}

and save.

Once you run the game, run the script file as admin and you're find. Keep in mind this does break sheilds and catapults and such. Also this will replace all mouse buttons for everything you do on your computer. So if you leave it running once you exit the game you're going to be adding lots of x9's and x3's to every text box.

Also note, these do not work if you attack while holding shift.

It's not the classiest of methods but it should work. That's all I got.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Koramei posted:

MAA's armour seems to make no practical difference anyway, speed differences are meaningless with chase mechanics, and I seldom find myself using dodge. Also people tend to underestimate archers which is always great fun (the flipside is everyone always tries to strike you first for the easy kill when you go into a melee which is not such great fun).

If you aren't using dodge to it's full potential as MAA you are loving UP. You can easily control most fights with well-timed dodges. Waiting for them to begin a swing then dodging backwards leaves them completely open for a counter-attack, something that just blocking the attack won't guarantee. Once you get comfortable with dodge it's basically a get out of jail free card, you'll be able to avoid hits and maneuver through the battlefield like no other class. It's also incredibly useful for flanking groups of enemies, which is something any MAA should be trying to do anyway. I rebound my jump key to dodge, 10x easier to dodge and for whatever reason it still works as a jump key for all the other classes.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Alternatively you can press "d" and avoid their hits without wasting stamina on a parry or a dodge.

I'm not saying dodging doesn't have it's uses, just they're not as good as being able to reliably engage people at range.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i miss the dodge stab :saddowns:

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Inside Out Mom posted:

So Blimpkin and I did some work today and well, if you want to have you guy yell something when you do an attack, we found a way.

Install and whatever.

Next make a document on your desktop or somewhere easily accessable and name it whateverthefuckyouwan.ahk

and save.

Once you run the game, run the script file as admin and you're find. Keep in mind this does break sheilds and catapults and such. Also this will replace all mouse buttons for everything you do on your computer. So if you leave it running once you exit the game you're going to be adding lots of x9's and x3's to every text box.

It should be noted that essentially this allows you to walk up to an opponent and say nothing until you start attacking or parrying. It's very effective at goading your enemies because at the first parry/right click, you immediately start laughing.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
That sounds greatest for crashing those silly duel maps.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Come Hither

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Using the macro, you can set COME HITHER to every key and as you mash the clicking during combat you can yell COME HITHER COME HITHER COME HITHER with ease.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Inside Out Mom posted:

Install and whatever.

and save.

Explain the "this does break shields" part... would I still be able to use my Security Shield? :ohdear:

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

Explain the "this does break shields" part... would I still be able to use my Security Shield? :ohdear:

With some tweaking you could get shields to work but since the command it sends during the macro is a button click, rather than a hold, you can parry effectively still, but the shield can't be held in position. I'm sure there's a way to make it so that the right click macro enables a hold for RButton when held down, but I can't be hosed to do that because I don't really use shields that often. If you were to simply remove that line, you could use shields again with all the other macros.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Man the warbow is just so slooowww, especially after running about and doing close range stuff with the shortbow.

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth
Yeah and it was also nerfed a few patches ago. It used to be that a broadhead arrow from a warbow would oneshot an archer if you got a decent hit, now it's hit the head or hit the road. The difference in usefulness between a oneshot kill vs a twoshot kill is immense. There's no point in taking broadheads now since you're gonna need as many arrows as with bodkins for even the lighter targets.

The game is still very satisfying though.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The only time I've actually had fun in this game was when I was playing as a M@A and skewered 3 players with my sword thrust: first guy was a team-mate who I stuck my sword through to get to the enemy in the center, and my sword went through him and killed my other team-mate on the other side of him.

People were mad but it was awesome.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Hi Something Awful Chivalry players.

It's lonely here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5FdZ-7aUxs

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Hello, I just bought this. Is it still a thing?

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
I play from time to time. Mainly weekends. My profile link is somewhere back a few posts. Remember the general community sucks so don't take anything personal. And if someone tries to vote kick you, it means they're mad you won a fight and you're doing great.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Where do people play? The in game server search brought up like 5 servers and they were all empty.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Inside Out Mom posted:

I play from time to time. Mainly weekends. My profile link is somewhere back a few posts. Remember the general community sucks so don't take anything personal. And if someone tries to vote kick you, it means they're mad you won a fight and you're doing great.

Or that they got in your way in a mad dash to get to the enemy and you hit them. Or your ping is slightly too high.

I just bought CS:GO and someone tried to kick me because I had a low score because I was, you know, trying to have fun by throwin' nades and spraying my MAC10 at the enemy like out of a 90's movie.

Another time I was doing the same thing and I laughed about how terrible the MAC's damage was and someone told me to use the AK or AWP, and when I told them I wanted to use guns that were more fun they called me retarded and got really upset that I was playing the game.

What I'm saying is that I thought Chivalry's community was bad, but maybe I'm just old and all online communities just suck.

People should just have fun imo

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I've found the Chivalry community to be pretty cool, they're usually willing to help me spam voice commands/run around with their fists out/hide in a corner with a tower shield. Sometimes people from the other team will even defend me from their teammates when I'm just dicking around.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Charles Bukowski posted:

Where do people play? The in game server search brought up like 5 servers and they were all empty.

Where are you located? That may put a damper on the sort of serves available to you.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, either your filter is out of whack or you live in a very out-of-the-way place. I'm in Europe, I have it set to only TO with <100 ping and it brings up plenty of servers.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So, the latest update added the Lotus sigil from Warframe as an emblem in Chivalry. Wonder if that's a bigger TB - DE collaboration I smell looming ahead?

(please DE give me a playable Mason MaA in Warframe TIA)

((Actually playing as Excalibur in Chivalry would be cool too))

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I'm still waiting for the open world multiplayer sandbox RPG with chivalry's combat. why can't they make that instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Minorkos posted:

I'm still waiting for the open world multiplayer sandbox RPG with chivalry's combat. why can't they make that instead

Because it's been fairly well demonstrated that Torn Banner hates people having fun in their games.

• Locked thread