Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Found it. It was the high up one by the southern bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p164pnJxL_Y

I need to mix in more of the ice gadget and batarang finishers.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Steve2911 posted:

I must have driven/flown around Miagani Island a dozen times and I can't find the last Militia checkpoint. Is there one in a really obscure location there?

After that it'll just be the Riddler poo poo and the firemen before I've done all the non-main plot missions. I have a feeling I'm going to spend hours wandering around hoping to bump into fireman encounters. :(

Use your detective vision to look for big groups of thugs standing still, that'll help track them down. Also keep an ear out for helicopter chatter, sometimes they'll spot a group and radio it in, and you can pinpoint which heli is transmitting in detective mode, and then see where they're shining the spotlight.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

SonicRulez posted:

In City he had a list of known informants in the Batcomputer. That highlighted all of them in green. I would assume he still keeps a running list by the time Knight rolls around.

It's still a little weird. If he knew exactly which cop was feeding Riddler information when the cops mention that they've known they've had a rat for awhile but couldn't find him, why is Bats only just now dealing with this? Eddie having an inside man on the GCPD is genuinely dangerous.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

CuwiKhons posted:

It's still a little weird. If he knew exactly which cop was feeding Riddler information when the cops mention that they've known they've had a rat for awhile but couldn't find him, why is Bats only just now dealing with this? Eddie having an inside man on the GCPD is genuinely dangerous.

It's Batman. He's probably feeding him false information or has him around just to make sure Eddie doesn't put in another unknown dude.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
He's just the guy who logged the riddler trophy into evidence

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Crappy Jack posted:

Use your detective vision to look for big groups of thugs standing still, that'll help track them down. Also keep an ear out for helicopter chatter, sometimes they'll spot a group and radio it in, and you can pinpoint which heli is transmitting in detective mode, and then see where they're shining the spotlight.

just look at a map online and visit all the coordinates is very easy to search forever for soemthing and not find it (loving fire fighter under the bridge half way between two islands counting in the number for one of those islands.)

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Can't you just activate the ending without initiating 100%? If so, where? I'm tired of the riddler.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
I'm playing the PC version, collected 100% of the Riddler trophies, gotten all 69 stars in AR challenges, and am just finishing a New Game +. Yes, I am a masochist. The only two achievements left besides the New Game + completion are "A Leap of Faith" and "Blunt Trauma" which are total bullshit since the game doesn't have statistics tracking jumps or stealth finishers. I generally enjoy achievements, but I like to have some ability to track them. I've done at least 30 frickin jumps across at least 12 unique ramps, and the achievement hasn't popped.

Having nearly 100%'d the game, I have to say the City was much better. This game feels both stripped down and crammed too full.

Melee brawls seem much scarcer in this game. They introduce a ton of new enemies that add nothing to the gameplay - looking at you soldiers who shock each other to electrify themselves. The fights just don't last as long, and that was something I loved in City - the long running fights where my combos can get into the hundreds.

Predator Challenges suck in this. Again, they add a ton of new enemies that pose no challenge at all (the drone controller STANDS THERE while his drone flies harmlessly beneath vantage points). They give you WAY too many gadgets, taking any challenge out of setting up takedowns.

But the worst offender by far is the loving tank fight. I'm not going to bitch about Cloudburst - that wasn't actually terrible. The problem with the tank fights is not that they're hard, but that they're not FUN. Once you've seen one tank fight, you've seen them all. And then they add Cobra tanks to try to make it a stealth section. The Cobra fights are just amazingly boring. If I'm in a tank, I don't want to be sneaking through alleys. In fact, I think the most fun tank boss is the helicopter drone at Ace Chemicals, and that's literally your first boss fight.

It's a pretty game, and I'm glad to be bashing skulls as Batman again, but it lacks a lot of the charm of the previous games fights. I do hope they add challenge maps in, especially with the tag team modes. Those are perhaps the one improvement in mechanics over the other games, and I'd love to see more of those.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Real hurthling! posted:

just look at a map online and visit all the coordinates is very easy to search forever for soemthing and not find it (loving fire fighter under the bridge half way between two islands counting in the number for one of those islands.)

The last firefighter i had to find was way out at the end of the docks near some sionis shipping place. If you're having difficulty finding them, go around the outskirts of the islands if you haven't already, because i vaguely remember a fair number of them being found on the outer edges.

Or juts look at a map online if you're in a hurry.

edit: see when you switch your steam view to games list instead of details. Those pesky achievements aren't so prominent and the ocd trigger to finish them all but disappears.

Oh and S.A.M, use that and you'll stop caring about "cheevos" like everyone else on a PC.

Kin fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 5, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Tanks are the new Titans.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Fargin Icehole posted:

Can't you just activate the ending without initiating 100%? If so, where? I'm tired of the riddler.

YouTube

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Tanks are the new Titans.

Titans were more interesting in that you often still had to work them in to a larger melee brawl. There was something very satisfying about carrying on those fights and juggling all types of thugs while this thing rampages around you.

Kin posted:

Oh and S.A.M, use that and you'll stop caring about "cheevos" like everyone else on a PC.

I generally try to do achievements the "proper" way, but I am considering it for "A Leap of Faith" and "Blunt Trauma" just because I know I've met the requirements, but the game is very finicky about counting jumps or takedowns sometimes. All the guides online even say, "The game doesn't count them sometimes." Seriously? What kind of bullshit is that where you put in an achievement that may or may not track properly?

l33t b4c0n fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 5, 2015

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

l33t b4c0n posted:

Titans were more interesting in that you often still had to work them in to a larger melee brawl. There was something very satisfying about carrying on those fights and juggling all types of thugs while this thing rampages around you.

I generally try to do achievements the "proper" way, but I am considering it for "A Leap of Faith" and "Blunt Trauma" just because I know I've met the requirements, but the game is very finicky about counting jumps or takedowns sometimes. All the guides online even say, "The game doesn't count them sometimes." Seriously? What kind of bullshit is that where you put in an achievement that may or may not track properly?

On ps4, blunt trauma wouldn't unlock for me when meeting the requirements in AR challenges I accessed from the main menu. I had to get into the AR challenge from inside the story for the moves to count. I also had to do ~14 different jumps for the leap of faith achievement to finally pop. Complete bullshit.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Goddamn some of these enemy formations. Two shield guys, one knife guy, two stun baton dudes, all guarding a fireman. Thankfully I had just picked up the freeze grenade. Some of these configurations really make you work.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

plape tickler posted:

On ps4, blunt trauma wouldn't unlock for me when meeting the requirements in AR challenges I accessed from the main menu. I had to get into the AR challenge from inside the story for the moves to count. I also had to do ~14 different jumps for the leap of faith achievement to finally pop. Complete bullshit.

Yeah, I read as much online. If the game had a simple statistics menu like "Number of ledge takedowns, number of line launcher takedowns, number of jumps greater than 100m completed" then I'd know if they're counting or not. How hard would that be to add? I mean the game is clearly tracking it if these achievements exist, so why not let the player see it? Like I said, I try to do Steam achievements properly when I can - I'm not going to unlock the New Game + completion achievement if I haven't actually completed the New Game +. But these are just dumb. They force the player to guess whether or not the game is tracking it properly.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
My favorite improvement in Knight is that stylistically they kept moving Batman away from a David Finch drawing. I like the mechanical armor.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm about 65% complete with the game generally and 70% done with the main story. I think my biggest nitpick so far is the diminishing returns of the militia-based side missions (Own the Roads, Campaign for Disarmament, and Occupy Gotham). Clearing an island and then having to re-do these missions again and again is just getting tedious. The other side missions are great and have really nice arcs like the ones in City had. I understand why the militia-based missions got pushed so hard because they push the core gameplay mechanics like Pursuit Mode, Battle Mode, and combat, but they're getting old now. I would have preferred a few more side missions with unique characters over more and more of this.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'm about 65% complete with the game generally and 70% done with the main story. I think my biggest nitpick so far is the diminishing returns of the militia-based side missions (Own the Roads, Campaign for Disarmament, and Occupy Gotham). Clearing an island and then having to re-do these missions again and again is just getting tedious. The other side missions are great and have really nice arcs like the ones in City had. I understand why the militia-based missions got pushed so hard because they push the core gameplay mechanics like Pursuit Mode, Battle Mode, and combat, but they're getting old now. I would have preferred a few more side missions with unique characters over more and more of this.

Yah. At this point, I see a mine lying about and I just zoom past going like this: :flipoff:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the twoface bank predator sequences are pretty fun. I like how it starts with like 18 loving robbers and you have to quickly, frantically pick off 10 of them haphazardly, sometimes at the cost of taking bullets, and only then does the real sequence begin. I'd love for some Extreme maps to replay like that. insane how they put in so many great ideas with predator poo poo and we only have 3 real loving maps to replay

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm glad the Two-Face sidequest carries on the tradition of allowing you to take Two-Face himself down basically right out of the gate.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

l33t b4c0n posted:

I'm playing the PC version, collected 100% of the Riddler trophies, gotten all 69 stars in AR challenges, and am just finishing a New Game +. Yes, I am a masochist. The only two achievements left besides the New Game + completion are "A Leap of Faith" and "Blunt Trauma" which are total bullshit since the game doesn't have statistics tracking jumps or stealth finishers. I generally enjoy achievements, but I like to have some ability to track them. I've done at least 30 frickin jumps across at least 12 unique ramps, and the achievement hasn't popped.

Having nearly 100%'d the game, I have to say the City was much better. This game feels both stripped down and crammed too full.

Melee brawls seem much scarcer in this game. They introduce a ton of new enemies that add nothing to the gameplay - looking at you soldiers who shock each other to electrify themselves. The fights just don't last as long, and that was something I loved in City - the long running fights where my combos can get into the hundreds.

Predator Challenges suck in this. Again, they add a ton of new enemies that pose no challenge at all (the drone controller STANDS THERE while his drone flies harmlessly beneath vantage points). They give you WAY too many gadgets, taking any challenge out of setting up takedowns.

But the worst offender by far is the loving tank fight. I'm not going to bitch about Cloudburst - that wasn't actually terrible. The problem with the tank fights is not that they're hard, but that they're not FUN. Once you've seen one tank fight, you've seen them all. And then they add Cobra tanks to try to make it a stealth section. The Cobra fights are just amazingly boring. If I'm in a tank, I don't want to be sneaking through alleys. In fact, I think the most fun tank boss is the helicopter drone at Ace Chemicals, and that's literally your first boss fight.

It's a pretty game, and I'm glad to be bashing skulls as Batman again, but it lacks a lot of the charm of the previous games fights. I do hope they add challenge maps in, especially with the tag team modes. Those are perhaps the one improvement in mechanics over the other games, and I'd love to see more of those.
I think combat would be more interesting if there were actual challenge maps and not the 6x6 arenas in AR challenges. I'd suspect we'd get more unarmed filler most waves instead of things like 2 of every unique type + 2 unarmed dudes you run into at checkpoints and stuff. The filler is mostly there to bounce around anyway. Not to mention most of the firefighter/checkpoint fights are in terribly cramped areas and does the camera no favours. The weapon cache fights are decent though.

There also just weren't enough predator challenges or interesting medal conditions. Not to mention you can have so many drat distruptor shots and it basically can do anything in this game, cools down fairly fast, as does smoke (vs. 1 use in AC/AO). I'd just like to see just more predator maps in general and extreme variations of them. The one only timed predator challenge was interesting but I'd like to see all 3 (or 4?) banks each with their own timer as well instead of just the first bank. The layouts of the others are really fun and it's a shame they've gone to waste.

I didn't mind some of the batmobile challenges. I personally hated the Riddler tracks. The race across the city and stop at areas to kill drones was probably the best use of the Batmobile. That or the armoured vehicle chase/takedowns as well. Straight up tank combat was way too monotonous in challenge mode and gave you way too little space to work with most of the time, which I think frustrated a lot of people. Cobra maps were okay once you get the lure, kinda curious why only Bleake and Founders and no Miagami map challenge though.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

so this has been floating around today. I am pretty sure its fake, but you never know. I am pretty sure they are working on another arkham game or the arkham suicide squad game.

Edit: yeah its probaly fake. I think its just the injustice model.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 5, 2015

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

WB Montreal? If it's real then it'll be terrible, so cool. Also a good Superman game is impossible.

Holy loving poo poo after hours upon hours of watchtowers, checkpoints and tank fights, the Deathstroke fight is just a way easier version of the Cloudburst fight. :psyduck: gently caress this great game it's terrible.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so this has been floating around today. I am pretty sure its fake, but you never know. I am pretty sure they are working on another arkham game or the arkham suicide squad game.

It probably is fake but a reveal of a Superman game or Justice League game makes more sense at SDCC which opens this Thursday than at E3 or Gamescon.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the only way to do a superman game correctly is focus less on actual fights and focus more on being an omnipotent god that can really only do so much. of course put in some large scale fights against the 10 or so guys who can actually damage him but I really do not see Rocksteady's system of combat and gameplay working with Superman at all.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I'd say this is about.....900% fake, but I wouldn't be surprised if the super secret Easter Egg is Superman.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Steve2911 posted:

Also a good Superman game is impossible.
I dunno, a game based on all the ridiculous Silver Age covers might be amusing. Jimmy Olsen and/or Lois Lane constantly get superpowers and are forced to marry aliens/gorillas/supervillains, and only Superman can prevent this by being a hilarious dick and pulling random superpowers out of his rear end when the plot necessitates.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

l33t b4c0n posted:

Titans were more of a crutch IMO, once you mounted them they turned into an invincibility powerup and you could clean up a large amount of mooks with them.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Couldn't you just have a Superman game where he's weakened by Red Kryptonite which conveniently dampens and removes some his powers, gradually unlocking more and becoming more powerful as you progress through the game and unlock more things?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I figure the ever-increasing amount of playable characters in the Arkham series is part of Rocksteady (or WB Montreal) leading up to making a Justice League game. I can see it working fine if Superman is only playable in certain boss fights against Darkseid or whatever.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I sort of hope Rocksteady is able to break free of WB's superhero machine and make something original or at least different. They're so drat talented I'd hate for them to be the dev that spends its entire lifespan iterating on what they started in Asylum and nothing more.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

King of Solomon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p164pnJxL_Y

I need to mix in more of the ice gadget and batarang finishers.

Correct me if I'm wrong but from my experience, if you're using keyboard and mouse, in order to trigger the gadget finishers you have to stand completely still for a second or two, making them not as viable.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Aquasnake posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but from my experience, if you're using keyboard and mouse, in order to trigger the gadget finishers you have to stand completely still for a second or two, making them not as viable.

I'm playing on PS4, so that's not a problem for me.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Couldn't you just have a Superman game where he's weakened by Red Kryptonite which conveniently dampens and removes some his powers, gradually unlocking more and becoming more powerful as you progress through the game and unlock more things?

That's basically how I imagined it would go. Something weakens him. Make the enemies a mix of robots and living enemies. Make it so you have to balance your power, not accidentally kill human enemies.

Made by Platinum games, naturally.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

King of Solomon posted:

I'm playing on PS4, so that's not a problem for me.

Yeah, controllers don't have the same problem, it's because quickfire is not something you can do in one press on keyboard, so I'm wondering if anyone who does use keyboard has found a better way to do it/a way around it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

if you wanted to piss lots of people off, sure. people hate this in games like metroid

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Steve2911 posted:

I sort of hope Rocksteady is able to break free of WB's superhero machine and make something original or at least different. They're so drat talented I'd hate for them to be the dev that spends its entire lifespan iterating on what they started in Asylum and nothing more.

Same. I want to see what kind of original IP they can make. Or remake urban chaos, though i dont think you could get away with making an urban chaos game now a days.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

if you wanted to piss lots of people off, sure. people hate this in games like metroid

Properly done metroidvania can be fun, but just excuse losing all your gear and/or not being allowed to use it can be frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

I actually really like it and felt overwhelmed at the start Knight, having all these tools and abilities that I vaguely recognized but couldn't remember how or why to use them, since I hadn't played an Arkham game since City.

• Locked thread