Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

thehomemaster posted:

What's wrong with this?

you're not supposed to like humbert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I fell asleep in the park while reading farewell to matyora but instead of waking up covered in ants like what happened with assisted living they were all over the book. I guess they enjoy village prose also.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

End Of Worlds posted:

Oates also seems outright unbalanced and once tweeted that the people deriding Roman Polanski for being a child rapist were hypocrites because they probably enjoyed Nabokov's Lolita, so I dunno if that particular hill is one I want to die on

actually that was also a pretty obvious joke and I am pretty sure that Joyce Carol Oates is well aware that Lolita is a work of fiction

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 30, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
You would think a professional writer would be better at conveying her jokes

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Oates retweets goofy poo poo like that all the time, and even seems to keep reasonably up-to-date with pop culture. I think it is fair to give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she probably knows what Jurassic Park and / or a dinosaur are.

It's almost literally the exact same joke as the person she retweeted. To understand that one is a joke and not the other is bizarre. Like it might not be the funniest joke in the world but if you think she's serious, just goddamn.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yeah I dont think she's a very good or funny twitter persona really but she is still obviously joking and if those same tweets were coming from some random nerd on twitter they would probably be read as such by everyone without one word being changed

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Ok I'm glad other people think it was a joke, I was starting to think my sense of humor was completely broken. I mean I agree that it's not an amazing joke or anything, but still.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I still think she was serious.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Mr. Squishy posted:

I still think she was serious.

Given the choices between two realities I choose the one where the pulitzer prize nominated writer thinks that its a real dino

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I'm reading At Swim-Two-Birds and I want to live in 1930s Dublin even though today Dublin is a bit poo poo.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I also want a weird uncle, and to never get out of bed.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Just buy stout in bottles and replicate the experience.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I drink the Guinness Original that comes in bottles while I read Irish modernist novels even though it tastes really bad.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

guiness is disgusting just drink whiskey if you want to drink something irish

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Guinness is really really good, but Guinness Original is bad, even though it comes in bottles.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I don't really get the appeal personally, every kind of Guiness I've had tastes like weak burned coffee

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
thats literally stupid

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I don't know if it's just a weird placebo thing but I've found the thing everyone says about it tasting better the closer to Dublin you are to be totally true.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

maybe we just cant get the Real Stuff in the states? I have never been to Ireland before

I am going to be in Dublin this fall so I will give it another try there

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
the nicest Guinness is the ~8%abv one in those small bottles thats from Nigeria or something and I realise this is a very Me post but to make it more Me i dont even drink guinness anymore cos its not vegan

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Ras Het posted:

the nicest Guinness is the ~8%abv one in those small bottles thats from Nigeria or something and I realise this is a very Me post but to make it more Me i dont even drink guinness anymore cos its not vegan

Ahhh poo poo is it one of the ones they strain thru fish?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

yes

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

You gotta strain it through fish.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

This is the literature thread

Surely literary types shouldn't spend their time pretending to be choosy about alcohol

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

J_RBG posted:

This is the literature thread

Surely literary types shouldn't spend their time pretending to be choosy about alcohol

You don't know anything about literature.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

This thread is all about growing up.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Smoking Crow posted:

You don't know anything about literature.

Srsly tho, who does drunk reading? I do. I get very wild with annotations. It's the mark of a fun human being.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
reading while high is good, esp. poetry, drunk reading is pointless

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Burning Rain posted:

reading while high is good, esp. poetry, drunk reading is pointless

Drunk reading is the proper way to read Hemingway and Poe.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I recommend reading The Dictionary of the Khazars high and/or drunk, in whatever order or combination you prefer.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

My recommendation: read a book in the same state as the person who wrote it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Stop posting dumb poo poo

I am currently reading:

The Names by Don DeLillo: this book is boring as gently caress. Often the writing is great but nothing happens at all. Only makes sense half the time. If it wasn't so short I would stop reading. My first DeLillo was White Noise which I loved a lot, but everything of his I have read since then needs more plot.

V. by Thomas Pynchon: I'm only a couple chapters in and it's hilarious. I love the way Pynchon describes things.

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr: Wow. Incredible prose, and the first 50 pages made me almost cry about three times. On page 150 now, great so far.

The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell: Only a few pages in after impulse buying this as Half-Price. Good voice. I look forward to delving into this one once I've knocked Names and Light out.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

blue squares posted:

V. by Thomas Pynchon: I'm only a couple chapters in and it's hilarious. I love the way Pynchon describes things.

Mondaugen's story is probably the best single thing Pynchon has written and it will suck the hilarity out of you.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr: Wow. Incredible prose, and the first 50 pages made me almost cry about three times. On page 150 now, great so far.

Its good but I could never shake the feeling the whole story ended up being too narratively safe

EDIT: Also Guinness in Dublin is better because it doesn't have preservatives added to it, and it will always taste awful from a bottle or can because its flavors are unlocked through drafting and even the nitrous thingy doesn't help hth beer noobs

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 6, 2015

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Delillo is bad. His observations are trite, his points overwrought and every character speaks like the narrator.

I liked the description of the mass wedding in Mao II but that's about it.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Besson posted:

Delillo is bad. His observations are trite, his points overwrought and every character speaks like the narrator.

I liked the description of the mass wedding in Mao II but that's about it.

I've only read Underworld and it didn't make me wanna read anything more of his - Underworld's 'more than the sum of its parts' in that the sheer scope of the narrative is impressive, but when I try to recall specifics about it, mostly what I come up with (aside from the prologue, which was cool) is the recollection of a lot of terse repetitive dialogue that functions to illustrate Middle Class Ennui(tm), all like--

"Did you sort the recycling?"
"The recycling?"
"The recycling."
"Did I sort it?"
"Sort it."
"No."
"You didn't sort the recycling?"
"The recycling isn't sorted."

Eventually I did sort the recycling. We sort our recycling. Cardboard separated from plastics. Every night. I assure you my dick still works. I like the Rolling Stones.

--which is boring, imo. This is likely an unfair assessment of what's going on in the 827 pages of Underworld but it is what I primarily remember about those 827 pages.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Grimson posted:

"Did you sort the recycling?"
"The recycling?"
"The recycling."
"Did I sort it?"
"Sort it."
"No."
"You didn't sort the recycling?"
"The recycling isn't sorted."

Eventually I did sort the recycling. We sort our recycling. Cardboard separated from plastics. Every night. I assure you my dick still works. I like the Rolling Stones.

Haha.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Like holy poo poo Mr. Bast, I'm just putting out a few brush fires here.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Did JR talk about fires I thought that was the pr man in the bank... Anderson?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

Did JR talk about fires I thought that was the pr man in the bank... Anderson?

Davidoff.